PLEASE help me stretch.....

PinkAngel

Hi Ladies,

With all the wonderful tips I've been getting since joining this board, I would like to try stretching for the first time. I plan to set a short term goal of 10 weeks and then go from there. The longest I've gone w/o a relaxer is 7 weeks. I usually get relaxed faithfully every 6 weeks because my hair becomes unruly by then. But I am learning how to better care for my hair since joining this forum and feel confident I can now stretch while taking care of my hair better than or as good as some stylists.

I am currently 5 weeks post but I am so nervous about being able to control my new growth. What type of styles should I wear, will I still be able to roller set or even flat iron/:)

Thanks in advance for all your tips and recs.

Conditioner washing is really working for me. I moisturize daily, especially the ends and new growth. I still roller set from time to time, but I prefer bunning, unless I'm going "out". When I'm bunning, I don't comb my hair as often, which I think helps me prevent unnecessary breakage.

Of course you'll be able to flatiron... :lol: Stretching is easier than you think. In fact, check out Sylver2's fotki, she stretched for 26 weeks once and was able to wear her hair down and straight...

Here are some products: Castor oil, s-curl, carrot cream, sta-sof-fro..among others(I have more in my regimine section) help keep the newgrowth moist and manageble. Buns, braidouts, twistouts and DEFINETLY rollersets are stlyes that will help you get through.

Go on girl, you can do it!!!! :up:

Let us know how it goes and before you give up, come to the board for advice....stretching is worth it
~op~

MsShic,

I too am at a point where I want to stretch longer because I want to avoid double processing my already relaxed hair. I currently can go to 10 weeks before I get a retouch, but I am a little fearful of what would happen in the 11th week and beyond. I must say though, that with the Aphogee tx, that has helped a great deal...it's just the first step out on faith beyond the comfort zone that has me in a quandry.

But what I realized when I used to do 6 weeks for a retouch, my stylist would actually me that I didn't need a touchup. Then I learned about stretching and made it to my comfortable 10. :scratchch

Anyway, I am being put in a position to stretch for another week because I have severe itching. I guess I will have to let you know how that turns out.

Don't worry, you should be fine!

msshic said:
Hi Ladies,

With all the wonderful tips I've been getting since joining this board, I would like to try stretching for the first time. I plan to set a short term goal of 10 weeks and then go from there. The longest I've gone w/o a relaxer is 7 weeks. I usually get relaxed faithfully every 6 weeks because my hair becomes unruly by then. But I am learning how to better care for my hair since joining this forum and feel confident I can now stretch while taking care of my hair better than or as good as some stylists.

I am currently 5 weeks post but I am so nervous about being able to control my new growth. What type of styles should I wear, will I still be able to roller set or even flat iron/:)

mschicthis will be my first time stretching(transitioning to natural) but feel free to join the "April Fool's Stretch Club/Challenge"

msshic said:

Hey girl! :wave:

I agree with onepraying. They are a bunch of different styles you can try to get you through, and yes, you can use your flat iron to tame your new growth although I would keep direct heat to a minimum in order to really reap the benefits of stretching.

Rollersetting is an excellent technique, especially if your stretch is for less than 12 weeks or so. I find that around week 13-15, I have to start doing more textured styles in order to deal with the two textures.

As far as general tips are concerned, I definitely agree with the other ladies regarding CO washing. I started CO washing on week 10, and it took me all the way to week 23, so I think it's an excellent method of keeping new growth manageable and keeping the line of demarcation moisturized in order to avoid breakage.

I'm not a big fan of S-Curl, but there are a lot of ladies who use it and Sta Sof Fro on their new growth to keep it soft. It was just a little to mushy for my liking so I diluted it with rosewater and jojoba oil and made a moisture mix.

WGO is excellent for keeping new growth soft and combable too. I highly recommend it. If the smell is too much, put a couple of drops of peppermint oil in it, and you're in business. ;)

A Jilbere de Paris shower comb is a must have for detangling with tons of new growth. The comb doesn't rip strands out b/c it doesn't have seams, and the tips are rounded so it's gentle on the scalp. This comb is one of THE best things to happen to my hair in a long time.

It's important to maintain a balance of moisture and protein so you may want to devise a routine for doing protein & deep conditioning (i.e. deep condition every week, light protein every other week.) Of course, this will depend entirely on your hair's protein tolerance level which is discovered via trial and error for most ladies.

Pre-pooing will also help keep the new growth soft and manageable. I like to mix a conditioner with an oil & a detangler. This eases the poo process, and keeps the poo from drying the hair.

Deep conditioning can make all the difference in the world in new growth. I deep condition once a week religously, but while I was CO washing, I'd deep condition twice a week if I had time. My conditioners seem to perform better when warmed. Otherwise, they sit on top of my hair and don't as much good.

So, this is all I can think of for now. I commend you on stretching. Once you get the hang of it, you may actually start to enjoy it. I do. And the effects that it's had on my hair are WONDERFUL.
Keep us updated on your progress!!

{DI}

Divine Inspiration said:
Hey girl! :wave:

I agree with onepraying. They are a bunch of different styles you can try to get you through, and yes, you can use your flat iron to tame your new growth although I would keep direct heat to a minimum in order to really reap the benefits of stretching.

Rollersetting is an excellent technique, especially if your stretch is for less than 12 weeks or so. I find that around week 13-15, I have to start doing more textured styles in order to deal with the two textures.

As far as general tips are concerned, I definitely agree with the other ladies regarding CO washing. I started CO washing on week 10, and it took me all the way to week 23, so I think it's an excellent method of keeping new growth manageable and keeping the line of demarcation moisturized in order to avoid breakage.

I'm not a big fan of S-Curl, but there are a lot of ladies who use it and Sta Sof Fro on their new growth to keep it soft. It was just a little to mushy for my liking so I diluted it with rosewater and jojoba oil and made a moisture mix.

WGO is excellent for keeping new growth soft and combable too. I highly recommend it. If the smell is too much, put a couple of drops of peppermint oil in it, and you're in business. ;)

A Jilbere de Paris shower comb is a must have for detangling with tons of new growth. The comb doesn't rip strands out b/c it doesn't have seams, and the tips are rounded so it's gentle on the scalp. This comb is one of THE best things to happen to my hair in a long time.

It's important to maintain a balance of moisture and protein so you may want to devise a routine for doing protein & deep conditioning (i.e. deep condition every week, light protein every other week.) Of course, this will depend entirely on your hair's protein tolerance level which is discovered via trial and error for most ladies.

Pre-pooing will also help keep the new growth soft and manageable. I like to mix a conditioner with an oil & a detangler. This eases the poo process, and keeps the poo from drying the hair.

Deep conditioning can make all the difference in the world in new growth. I deep condition once a week religously, but while I was CO washing, I'd deep condition twice a week if I had time. My conditioners seem to perform better when warmed. Otherwise, they sit on top of my hair and don't as much good.

So, this is all I can think of for now. I commend you on stretching. Once you get the hang of it, you may actually start to enjoy it. I do. And the effects that it's had on my hair are WONDERFUL.
Keep us updated on your progress!!

{DI}

Good thorough and solid advice DI, I hope someone printed it out. When I was a newbie that's all I did! Oh yeah, pretty avatar!

Last edited:
Thank you ladies for all the wonderful advice and motivation!

I can't wait to stretch now! I'll let you know how I'm doing!:)

onepraying said:
Good thorough and solid advice DI, I hope someone printed it out. When I was a newbie that's all I did! Oh yeah, pretty avatar!

:kiss: You're so kind!!! I know I appreciate when ladies respond to me so I try to help where I can.

Thanks for the compliment, girl! I need to put a new one up there...maybe over Christmas time. :look:

Back