Increasing the stretch

Chameleonchick

I have decided to increase my stretch from 12 weeks to 22 weeks. Does anyone want to do this with me? Also does anyone who stretches this long have any tips to help me? I am trying to do this stretch without braids(extension) or weaves. I have never done this before. DH wants to see my hair out as much as possible.

Im already at 26 weeks but with trial and error with shampoos and conditioners you can stretch as long as you want. I finally found products that I like Silk Elements Luxury poo and condish, and it has started making my stretch very easy, because I can detangle my hair with ease without pulling my hair out.

I wear my hair out all the time with my stretch and people think i'm freshly relaxed. I blow dry the roots straight and flat iron, it gives salon/relaxed looks every time :).

in my pics the black shirt was a stretch i think 6 months or maybe a little less, and the other pic is from my current stretch maybe a month ago.

With a stretch I had in the past in the last month of my stretch I got cornrows, you can weave it up but just keep your scalp moisturized, at the last stretch years ago I used wild hair growth and at the time to me it enhanced my hair growth.

:bump: for you

I'm 12 weeks post and I plan to stretch until 24 weeks, maybe longer. I'm in braids though.

I'm in, but I don't know for how long I'll extend the stretch. The most I've ever stretched was 13.5 weeks. My hair is 10 weeks post now. Yesterday I was thinking of stretching until 24 weeks too. I've given myself mini milestones just in case I don't make it to 24 weeks.

Last edited:
I'll join you. I'm 11 and a half weeks and I'm planning on going at least until 24. I've gone without braids since since about week 5 but I think I'll put some in bc I am trying not to use direct heat and I'm sick of looking busted

I'm 14 wks post. I normally relax at 12 wks but I'm trying to reach my first 16 wks. The most have stretched is 15 wks. I did my first ayurvedic treatment last week and it really soften my ng. I doing another one right now. Hopefully it will go as well as last week so I can stretch on. I don't know about 22 wks. That's a stretch. But I would definitely encourage you to keep the line of demarcation strong by using protein treatments followed by good moisturizing conditioners.

I will join you. I made it to 31 weeks with no braids or twists. I'm in twists now, but I will join to encourage you. I'm 32 weeks going on 33 weeks. I have no clue how long my stretch all I know its no time soon. No I'm not transitioning.

I'm going into month 3 of 6. I only let one person relax my hair, and she's 1,000 miles away. I won't see her until May.

I've transitioned before, so I do have a lot of experience in dealing with two textures. My curlformers are a god send...

Just wanted to add I started using yogurt mixed with honey and either AO honeysuckle rose or Silicon mix DC to deep condition at least weekly

Best of luck to you! I am a reformed "relaxer at 4 weeks".....today is 8 weeks for me and that is the longest I have ever gone. I am toying with the idea of transitioning.

COUNT ME IN!!!! I really don't like extra hair - of any kind!!!! braids, weaves, wigs.. at least for myself... i got a really small head and any extra hair just looks like a halloween costume.. as for braids.. i had major edges damage from excessive braiding years ago.. and i never really experienced any growth from braids.. so i am all about the stretching.. i just cant do it with extra hair.. so i am totally IN!

I'm 13 weeks post and I want to stretch for another 4 weeks - that's my short term goal and then for another 3 weeks after that... for a total 20 weeks. We'll see.

I believe that I can do it, but I need help staving off breakage. Any ideas? I'm coming up on 14 weeks.

I don't believe in weaves and my hair is far too fine for braids; braids do a lot of damage to my hair.

Im already at 26 weeks but with trial and error with shampoos and conditioners you can stretch as long as you want. I finally found products that I like Silk Elements Luxury poo and condish, and it has started making my stretch very easy, because I can detangle my hair with ease without pulling my hair out.

I wear my hair out all the time with my stretch and people think i'm freshly relaxed. I blow dry the roots straight and flat iron, it gives salon/relaxed looks every time :).

in my pics the black shirt was a stretch i think 6 months or maybe a little less, and the other pic is from my current stretch maybe a month ago.

With a stretch I had in the past in the last month of my stretch I got cornrows, you can weave it up but just keep your scalp moisturized, at the last stretch years ago I used wild hair growth and at the time to me it enhanced my hair growth.

How often do you flatten your roots/NG?

I believe that I can do it, but I need help staving off breakage. Any ideas? I'm coming up on 14 weeks.

I don't believe in weaves and my hair is far too fine for braids; braids do a lot of damage to my hair.

Protein Treatments and leaving the NG alone.
Syler2 has some excellent fotki's. She is the reason for my 6 month stretch Syler2 has some very excellent tips on this subject. IMHO she is the EXPERT:yep:

I'm in. Normally I relax at 16 weeks but I'm going for my first 24 week stretch. I've been wearing braidouts/braidout buns. I have to dampen my hair everynight (Infusium 23, S-Curl, distilled water) then add leave-ins, seal with Alma/coconut oils and put in 2-4 plaits. I moisturize again in the morning, seal and unbraid. I just did a henna/indigo treatment last night and it made my hair incredibly strong (especially at the line of demarcation). I think I'll be doing a henna/indigo gloss at least once a month.

Last edited:
I'm in. Normally I relax at 16 weeks but I'm going for my first 24 week stretch. I've been wearing braidouts/braidout buns. I have to dampen my hair everynight (Infusium 23, S-Curl, distilled water) then add leave-ins and seal with Alma/coconut oils.

Which leave-ins do you use?

I'll have to try this. I'd like to make it to 20 or 24 weeks.

Which leave-ins do you use?

I'll have to try this. I'd like to make it to 20 or 24 weeks.

I mix a bit of everything depending to keep a protein/moisture balance (I'm a product junkie but trying to break that habit). Right now I have it narrowed to what's working for me right now (it changes). I use Mane & Tail (as a leave-in and in my deep conditioner mix), Giovanni Direct, NTM Silk Touch, Lacio Lacio, ORS Olive Oil Creme (only on the last 2-3 inches), add a little Alma all over, seal with coconut oil. Last night I used Silken Child for the first time but I need to use it for about a month to see if it's a keeper. Sometimes I just use a couple of the items above and sometimes I use all (depends on what my hair feels like). I don't care if it feels weighed down as long as my newgrowth & ends are well moisturized so I'm not getting breakage. The true test will be after 16 weeks of stretching since the longest I've ever gone is 17 weeks. Sorry so long winded :~P

^^^ Thanks so much. This helps me out so much. I'm a PJ, too, and I'm still trying to figure out how to work with my NG. It's getting better, though. Aphogee products are working well for me. That Keratin Reconstructor is a miracle worker! I still need to get out and get Porosity Control. I ran out a few months ago.

Thanks again. I think we can do this!! :yep::yep:

Yes ladies we can do this! I was going to do a henna treatment today but I didn't. But I will do it tommorrow because I haven't put it in the freezer yet. Also I forgot to buy that AOHR oh well. I did buy the protein one though.

I did a henna/indigo Friday night and I love the cole way Ie color thor. My hair came out Jet Black (the pic really doesn't show the depth of the Black but I Luv it). My hair feels soooo strong (especially the demarcation line).

Attachments

• 123_2313.jpg
    123_2313.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I did a henna/indigo Friday night and I love the cole way Ie color thor. My hair came out Jet Black (the pic really doesn't show the depth of the Black but I Luv it). My hair feels soooo strong (especially the demarcation line).

I did my henna today and it turned out more of a brownish color this time, probably because I left it in there(with coffee) for two nights instead of one. But it does feel strong too. Your black came out nice!

There's nothing better than a good Henna treatment. I may do one this coming weekend. I'm monitoring my hair for breakage. So far, so good. I flattened my roots last night and got it sleek for my hot date. ;) My hair looks so healthy and shiny, and my NG doesn't look all dried out. I'm about 2 inches from BSL!! :yay: I'm very happy and feel more confident that I can do this.

I may go ahead and incorporate Sylver2's lo- or no-manipulation methods. Based on how well my hair does, I will probably wash and flatten the roots every 2 or 3 weeks. We'll see...

10 weeks 1 day and going strong! I was planning on relaxing in April. If I make it till then and no damage done, I'll go longer. I find braid/twist outs are really good at concealing new growth...and oddly enough, mine has been growing in softer and lays straight with the scarf method!
Good luck ladies!!
~*Janelle~*

weekly, I have to wash my hair at least once a week, i'm working for tax season right now so once a week, when I was just at home I would wash twice a week without any flat ironing.

I don't have any breakage because of using the right moisturizing for my hair. I use the jilbere comb to detangle (thanks again ladies for that jilbere rec.) I get the same shedding that I would when my hairs freshly relaxed.

I was however getting too much shedding, but that was during my trial and error with poos, and conditioners.

each time I stretch i'm only able to do so because of the conditioners that i'll use, in the past fructise sleek line helped but it makes me itch lol!

when I don't flat iron (when I don't have to work) using the scarf to flatten my hair works well as song_of_serenity stated.

How often do you flatten your roots/NG?

Last edited:
I'm at about 10 weeks now, and was planning to stretch until about 14 or 16. If I can find some way to make detangling a much easier process, I will certainly join you :yep: 16 vs. 22. . .well, I guess it's only 6 more weeks :) :perplexed :grin:

Protein Treatments and leaving the NG alone.
Syler2 has some excellent fotki's. She is the reason for my 6 month stretch Syler2 has some very excellent tips on this subject. IMHO she is the EXPERT:yep:

I have tried to leave the NG alone, but the hair starts to loc after a while. How do you manage to do this without locking your hair???

I am currently about 8 weeks stretched in the front and top of my head and 5 months stretch in the back. I am wearing a sew in and I normally relax the hair that is not braided every 4 to 6 weeks, however, I plan to stretch that time much longer....You can count me in, but I will continue to wear a sew in so I need to figure out how to keep my hair healthy underneath and prevent the oily weave look in the meantime!!! I am going to try to stretch to, uh, let's say until the end of June 2009!!!??? :woot:

Back