Ending my Stretch. Rant/Suggestions?

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I use to touch up (TU) every 6 weeks but decided to try my hand at stretching. First time I ended my stretch at 9 weeks and I got lectured (by my stylist) that anything beyond 9 weeks post is not good for the hair. Needless to say I didn't listen.

This time I'm ending my stretch at 13 weeks but not without incident. My hair was behaving beautifully, even with the bushy new growth, up until this last poo session. My hair tangled up so badly that it matted up. I was at the brink of just cutting the knots out although it never came to that, thank goodness. I lost a bunch of hair, some shedding, some breakage. :nono:

I'm not sure if this is considered a setback but it's definitely a lesson learned. :rolleyes: I'm not sure what/where I went wrong but that's water under the bridge now because I can't erase the past and this won't replicate in the future because I will end my stretch sooner next time. :yep:

I frequent a very small salon where the stylist recalls every minor detail about the client...that's good and bad so to avoid the lecture should she notice any breakage, what are your suggestions for good comebacks because truthfully, I don't want to hear it, because as mentioned -- lesson learned -- but I don't want to upset her either. I know she will say something because she's against stretching beyond 9 weeks.

When I run my fingers through my hair to finger comb, my fingers are getting hung up in the new growth, almost like there are some unresolved tangles :spinning:....since I'm new to stretching, I'm unsure if these things I'm experiencing are typical. How do deep stretchers ensure the hair is detangled enough to prevent any damage during TU by the stylist tugging or combing at the tangles carelessly.

HappilyLiberal

I use to touch up (TU) every 6 weeks but decided to try my hand at stretching. First time I ended my stretch at 9 weeks and I got lectured (by my stylist) that anything beyond 9 weeks post is not good for the hair. Needless to say I didn't listen.

This time I'm ending my stretch at 13 weeks but not without incident. My hair was behaving beautifully, even with the bushy new growth, up until this last poo session. My hair tangled up so badly that it matted up. I was at the brink of just cutting the knots out although it never came to that, thank goodness. I lost a bunch of hair, some shedding, some breakage. :nono:

I'm not sure if this is considered a setback but it's definitely a lesson learned. :rolleyes: I'm not sure what/where I went wrong but that's water under the bridge now because I can't erase the past and this won't replicate in the future because I will end my stretch sooner next time. :yep:

I frequent a very small salon where the stylist recalls every minor detail about the client...that's good and bad so to avoid the lecture should she notice any breakage, what are your suggestions for good comebacks because truthfully, I don't want to hear it, because as mentioned -- lesson learned -- but I don't want to upset her either. I know she will say something because she's against stretching beyond 9 weeks.

When I run my fingers through my hair to finger comb, my fingers are getting hung up in the new growth, almost like there are some unresolved tangles :spinning:....since I'm new to stretching, I'm unsure if these things I'm experiencing are typical. How do deep stretchers ensure the hair is detangled enough to prevent any damage during TU by the stylist tugging or combing at the tangles carelessly.

How did you wash and what kind of conditioner did you use?

I find that past week 8 (I am currently on week 15) I have to deep condition EVERY SINGLE TIME I WASH MY HAIR with a dedicated deep conditioner (the NTM Hair Masque is my favorite).

I also spend about 15-20 mins carefully detangling my hair after a wash:

(1) I put on a leave in (NTM Silk Touch leave-in currently).

(2) I liberally spray on my ACV rinse (2 oz. ACV + 22 oz. water).

(3) I detangle my hair in the five sections I plan to rollerset (first with a wide-tooth comb then with a normal tooth comb).

(4) I spray on the setting lotion (Lottabody Olive Oil Setting Lotion diluted with 4-5 parts water).

(5) I rollerset my hair (mohawk down middle plus two rows on each side).

I always rollerset, I moisturize and rollerset my dry hair every night, and I never use direct heat (though I might flat iron at 6 months if I make this stretch that long).

It seems as if there was some problem with the way you detangled your hair and some products will make that step easier for you. If I were you I would make sure my hair was fully detangled (do it in sections) BEFORE I went to the stylist. Do not rely on her to be patient or gentle with your hair while detangling--particularly not since she has already expressed displeasure with your stretching your relaxers. Some stylists will be unnecessarily harsh while detangling stretched hair to prove a point!

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
divachyk:

Going past 9 weeks is not good for her pockets. True talk LOL.

How most people deal with stretching so it does not ruin the hair is to ensure the NG is kept moisturized.

I TU every 3 months and I told you before Taalijah waajid saved my hair. I also run a comb through my hair (from the line of demarcation down, I only comb through the NG on the day I wash) every other day and finger comb on the off days to get out shed hair ( in small sections the day I use a comb). It has worked for me so far. In the beginning I had some breakage because I was being too rough.

I dont go to the salon so I dont have to deal with a stylist, however, when I did go with a bush she was very patient and did NOT rip through my hair. She would apply the relaxer where she could to loosen it up and then she would go back through and apply it to the missed sections. This is what I do now my self when I TU and cant get through my NG (which rarely happens because I try to TU the day after I wash my hair (NOT MY SCALP, the scalp gets no manipulation). Just tell her you tried wanted to try something differnt and please can we drop it. It is your hair and she should not be lecturing you. Boy these stylist are something else. LOL

To prevent matting during washing: comb your hair first to remove any shed hair and then wash in sections and keep the hair in one direction. I put my hair in 4 quads and wet each one individually to prevent tangles. I also use a low/no sulfate shampoo. When I put the shampoo on it is in a thin tipped color applicator bottle. I then hold the hair taut and scrub to a count of 20 and then pull the suds through to the ends to a count of ten. I repeat that procedure all the way around. I leave the shampoo in for 5 min and rinse. I only do one lather on most weeks. On the week I wear my hair out I do a 2nd lather with a differnt shampoo following the same procedure.

I also mentioned to you that stretching is not for everyone so go at 9 weeks if that is what makes you comfortable. Just protect your previously relaxed hair. If you can go with your hair already sectioned off. Some woman flatiron their hair the week before and then spray the NG with water so it is easily detectable and it will also be easily pliable the day of the TU and there will be minimal breakage.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Hey diva :) Man, I am so sorry you had tangle trouble :hug2: Maybe long stretching isn't for you, but lemme ask first:

Did your NG feel dry before you went to shampoo it?

Did you detangle your hair before shampooing? If yes, was your NG lubricated with water/condtioner/oil/leave-in?

Do you 'agitate' your hair to get a lather going?

Did you try detangling after the shampoo, saturated with slippy conditioner?

How long do you DC? How often?

How much NG would you say you have?

ITA with myjourney2009, Dry NG is troublesome NG. the more moisture it has the easier it is to manage :yep: stretching isn't for everybody, but alot of times hairstylists tell you that because it isn't good for their business.

If you haven't TU already, would you consider trying another week with keeping your NG very moisturized? You're in the juice challenge right? Have you been concentrating it on the ng?

Sometimes, I need to do a pre-poo with a slippy conditioner and some oils to help get out the tangles and the shed hair. And a few times when my hair was extra unruly, I had to wash it in sections.

It's your hair though, you know it better than anyone. Do what you think is best for YOU :yep:

bellebebe

Girl, story of my life. I used to get terrible tangles until my stylist advised me to invest in a blowdryer with a comb attachment. I did and I'M IN LOVE! I used to relax every 3 months and I tell ya, I would lose a lot of hair because my hair got so tangled. So now, I blowdrye on medium heat at every wash. I still baggie every night though, I only blowdrye on my wash day. The moral of this is, invest in a blowdryer with a comb attachment. Seriously girl, you maintain mucho hair.

I'm currently 26 weeks post (transitioning) so I've been in your position a few times. The only way I don't lose a ton of hair on wash day is by doing it in 4 sections. I also DC after every wash. I am also very strict about maintaining a good balance between protein and moisture. Maybe you could give us your reggie so that some of the more experienced members can give you some advice?

As for comebacks- I would say "Thanks Liz, I hear you but I've got it under control. I've been doing a lot of research so that my next stretch will be even better :grin:" Maybe she's against you stretching past 9 weeks to 13 weeks because that means she'll only see you 4 times a year instead of 5?

divachyk

@HappilyLiberal
I washed in 6-8 braids; aphogee 2 step since I'm due for a relaxer; then DC'd. I DC'd differently this time because I aphogee 2 stepped. I used GVP Conditioning Balm, 2T hemp, 1T honey, 1T shea mango/butter. I usually DC with 1 ORS replenishing pack, 1T hemp, 1T honey, 1T shea mango/butter, 1T aphogee 2 min reconstructor. I changed it up because I was afraid to use the ORS pak because some believe it to be protein.

My hair was so tangled I couldn't do anything with it. I had to wait for the hair to dry and detangle on dry hair. Might not have been the wisest thing to do but I felt the hair could withstand more tugging and pulling dry than wet.

I attribute the hiccup to using aphogee 2 step and not using my tried and true DC method that gives me soft luscious results every time. Because I'm a tangler, I always keep braids in throughout the poo process, this time I took them down to apply aphogee two step so in the end, my hair become just one big 'ole tangled mess.

@Myjourney2009
I didn't comb the new growth before pooing, I only combed the length of my hair and the tangles were mainly in the area of the new growth. I poo in sections except this time, I took the sections down to aphogee two step, I think that's where this all went south coupled with I didn't follow up with my normal DC concotion because my normal mixture includes an ORS pak and I didn't want to overload in protein since some consider ORS protein. I fine tip applicator is a great idea!

I'm headed to the salon straight after work on Wednesday so no time to separate the hair in sections. I will just go ahead and bite the bullet and hit her with, "I have a lot of new growth that requires some TLC since it's been a while since I've been in due to my schedule"...that way I go ahead and nip any negative comments before they start and yet let her know I have some thick new growth that needs some TLC

@bellebebe
I have a blowdryer with attachment but really was trying to avoid direct heat. I remember the days prior to LHCF that I was semi-opposed to heat NOW I'm totally opposed to heat. I need to stop letting myself get LHCF brainwashed on certain topics and recognize that everything is okay if done in moderation.

Last edited:

EbonyCPrincess

I only stretch til my hair's "breaking point" and for me that is around 10 weeks. Beyond that no matter what my techniques, patience, etc my hair seems to break at the demarcation line. The only time I ever stretch beyond that is if I am in a strict PS with absolutely no manipulation at all - like braids or weave. So my advice is to say "lesson learned, I am getting to know my hair better for MYSELF but thank you for your input." That will acknowledge what your stylist is about to delve into and stop it before she even starts. Good luck to you.

Carisa

i usually stretch 12-16 weeks and periodically spray my hair with detangler and make sure i apply coconut oil on it about daily and i usually only comb my hair when there is conditioner in it and after i wash out the condish i apply detangler, coconut oil and a leave in condish. If i have to comb on dry hair i do it in sections and i do it myself because i dont trust most beautician to even do the most simple task lol!

divachyk

halee_J
Did your NG feel dry before you went to shampoo it?
Not really but it sure is dry now.

Did you detangle your hair before shampooing? If yes, was your NG lubricated with water/condtioner/oil/leave-in?
Yes, applied wheat germ oil and evoo for an overnight prepoo and detangled before shampooing.

Do you 'agitate' your hair to get a lather going?
A little, not much.

Did you try detangling after the shampoo, saturated with slippy conditioner?
I hopped in shower with DC still in, let water stream over hair and detangled. Typically (well since using ceramides) the comb slides right on through, not this time. The shower comb was getting hung up in the ng even with the DC in, right then and there I knew I had a problem.

How long do you DC? How often?

2 hours without heat now that I'm using hemp; DC weekly with every shampoo session.

How much NG would you say you have? a tad bit under an inch, it's so close that you might as well say an inch.

If you haven't TU already, would you consider trying another week with keeping your NG very moisturized? You're in the juice challenge right? Have you been concentrating it on the ng?

My appt is set for Wed and I don't want to risk losing another bundle of hair. I'm in the juice challenge but I've slacked off of juicing the ng since I fallen in love with jbco. NOW that I put pen to paper, slacking off of juicing the ng makes no sense since jbco is for sealing and not moisturizing.

divachyk

@YaniraNaturally, my typical regi that works:
1. apply prepoo (wheat germ and evoo), detangle with fingers and comb, braid in 6-8 braids, overnight prepoo
2. Poo (NTM cream lather or ORS creamy aloe)
3. DC without heat (1 ORS replenishing pak, 1T of hemp, lustrasilk shea/mango butter, honey and aphogee 2 min reconstructor)
4. (unravel one braid at a time) Rinse with lukewarm water while detangling
5. ACV rinse with cold water
6. Tshirt dry for 5 minutes
7. Moisturize (NTM silk touch or GVP The Conditioner) and seal (jbco)

This past poo session that went wrong:
1. apply prepoo (wheat germ and evoo), detangle with fingers and comb, braid in 6-8 braids, overnight prepoo
2. Poo (ORS creamy aloe)
3. Unravel all braids to aphogee 2 step / Rinse with warm water and left hair unbraided
4. Use aphogee balancing moisturizer / rinse with warm water
5. DC without heat (2 T GVP conditioning balm, 2T of hemp, 1T of lustrasilk shea/mango butter and honey)
6. Rinse with lukewarm water while detangling section by section
7. ACV rinse with cold water
8. Tshirt dry for 5 minutes
9. Moisturize (NTM silk touch or GVP The Conditioner) and seal (jbco)

After all of this, the hair was still tangled and matted after step 7 when it was all said and done. I think the past session went downhill when I unraveled my braids to aphogee 2 step PLUS I didn't use my typical DC method because I was afraid the ORS replenishing pak would be too much protein for one day. I don't the GVP conditioning balm did much for my hair.

Last edited:

HappilyLiberal

@HappilyLiberal
I washed in 6-8 braids; aphogee 2 step since I'm due for a relaxer; then DC'd. I DC'd differently this time because I aphogee 2 stepped. I used GVP Conditioning Balm, 2T hemp, 1T honey, 1T shea mango/butter. I usually DC with 1 ORS replenishing pack, 1T hemp, 1T honey, 1T shea mango/butter, 1T aphogee 2 min reconstructor. I changed it up because I was afraid to use the ORS pak because some believe it to be protein.

Yikes... this could be/probably is the culprit!

I find that I cannot use the Aphogee 2-step past week 8 of my stretch. My new growth is apparently VERY protein sensitive and I ALWAYS have problems when I use the 2-step too far into a stretch. I had to end my very first stretch early because I used the 2-step at week 12 and my hair reacted EXACTLY the way you describe yours did. That far into a stretch I would use the Aphogee 2 min every other week and use a hard core moisturizer at least once a week (my favorite is the NTM Masque). When I say deep condition far into a stretch I mean I put the DC on and use the Home Grown Steam Treatment to steam the conditioner into my hair every time I wash my hair.

Also, I recommend easing your way into stretching. I started off a six week relaxer. I added a week every relaxer until I got to 11 weeks. I stayed at 11 weeks for two or three relaxers and then moved to 13 weeks. I stayed at 13 weeks for a year and a half... this is my first time going for a 6 month stretch (I last relaxed in June at 13 weeks). But it has taken me this long to figure out what works for me while stretching.

After you get your hair relaxed this time, why don't you join/read the "Inspired by Sylver2" thread. That thread is for people pursuing long-term stretches and it has a lot of good info.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I'm thinking that probably your follow up DC did not adequately soften your hair back up after the aphogee 2 step making you hair a less pliable than normal. I find that I need to increase my DC time t after the 2 step tx (sometimes o/n no heat). I used the recommended balancing conditioner once, never again. I find it doesn't do much in terms of softening. Plus you reduced your juice, which would keep your ng soft. I'm thinking thats what caused the problem. IA with HappilyLiberal, ease into the stretching, maybe next time you can try going a little longer :yep:

Last edited:

HappilyLiberal

I'm thinking that probably your follow up DC did not adequately soften your hair back up after the aphogee 2 step making you hair a less pliable than normal. I find that I need to increase my DC time t after the 2 step tx (sometimes o/n no heat). I used the recommended balancing conditioner once, never again. I find it doesn't do much in terms of softening. Plus you reduced your juice, which would keep your ng soft. I'm thinking thats what caused the problem. IA with HappilyLiberal, ease into the stretching, maybe next time you can try going a little longer :yep:

Yeah... That balancing moisturizer that comes with the 2-step is completely useless! I usually do the 2-step the week after my relaxer... it's useless then so I know it's useless during the late stages of a stretch.

divachyk

@happyLiberal, I will visit the stretchers thread although I am very skeptic to get back in this position again. I am kind of beating myself up for being so careless and not thinking my decisions through properly. I was doing so well at 12 weeks, new growth was well moisturized, etc but 13 weeks really did me in. It was so bad, I was about 30 seconds away from shedding tears because my hair was so tangled. I now know it was my technique that caused this issue, but still, I'm very leery to try my hand at this again. I will definitely have to reconsider my decision to stretch once I follow through with my pending TU. I believe my protein/moisture is imbalanced now and I need to get that in check before I TU BUT I'm nervous to delay the TU because I'm afraid of the dreaded tangles. I'm torn about it all but I feel its best to put the TU off for now while experiencing snapping (breaking) hairs.

@halle_J, thank you much for the wisdom.

HappilyLiberal

@happyLiberal, I will visit the stretchers thread although I am very skeptic to get back in this position again. I am kind of beating myself up for being so careless and not thinking my decisions through properly. I was doing so well at 12 weeks, new growth was well moisturized, etc but 13 weeks really did me in. It was so bad, I was about 30 seconds away from shedding tears because my hair was so tangled. I now know it was my technique that caused this issue, but still, I'm very leery to try my hand at this again. I will definitely have to reconsider my decision to stretch once I follow through with my pending TU. I believe my protein/moisture is imbalanced now and I need to get that in check before I TU BUT I'm nervous to delay the TU because I'm afraid of the dreaded tangles. I'm torn about it all but I feel its best to put the TU off for now while experiencing snapping (breaking) hairs.

@halle_J, thank you much for the wisdom.

It's OK divachyk... One of the reasons for easing into stretching is to find your true limits. It could be 12 weeks is your limit. It could be the 12 week point marks a change in how you need to handle your new growth so you should stay at 12 weeks until you get a handle on those changes. I stayed at 11 weeks for 2 or 3 relaxers and stayed at 13 weeks for 6 relaxers. The important thing is to do what is best for your hair. If long stretches are not what's best for your hair then doing a long stretch is pointless.

I also think it's OK to get your relaxer as planned. It sounds like your protein/moisture balance is off toward the protein end. This is better for your relaxer than if it were off in the other direction.

divachyk

HappilyLiberal
I baggied last night with overly saturating hair in scurl and that definitely helped restore some moisture. The new growth is even starting to soften up like old times (weeks 1-12 post) and not feel as kinky when I finger comb. This morning I noticed fewer broken hairs also. 12 weeks definitely is the point to which I must revise my technique or end the stretch. Thank goodness for LHCF.

LVLY210

I had the same problem once. I learned that I had to detangle before washing. Then I washed in 4 sections in the shower. I also had to use the same conditioner on my ends that my relaxed hair liked (not saying this is for everyone, it just helped my situation). I haven't had this problem again and it will be a year since I've had a relaxer in Nov. HTH

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
A few tips based on your regimen and technique:

It will be far easier to detangle your hair after you’ve rinsed your conditioner out if you leave it sopping wet rather than t-shirt dry, towel dry, squeeze dry, etc.

The products that you use do matter. What you use in the early weeks after a relaxer may not work on hair that now has a significant amount of new growth.

Hair that is in a relaxer stretch still needs to be clarified. Not doing so can create detangling problems for sure.

I agree with flat ironing the new growth about a week before the relaxer. By the time it’s time to relax, it should have waved up enough to be detectable, but not so much that it will be back to it’s full “virgin” state and be harder to manipulate and work with. If it is still looking pretty straight the day before your relaxer, I like the tip about spritzing with a little water—just a little.

The first time I attempted a long stretch was soon after I joined LHCF and I decided to stretch for 16 weeks with very little knowledge of the proper way to do so. My hair got so matted. It's a wonder I still had any left on my head! I have learned a lot since then. :yep:

The BEST BEST BEST advice I have ever gotten regarding stretching a relaxer came from a book by Lisa Akbari. Here is a synopsis of her advice:

*Do detangle gently before shampooing and conditioning
*Wash hair in the shower
*When you begin by wetting your hair, make sure you don't just let the shower water run over your hair. Run the water so that it gets inside the new growth. For me, this means parting the hair with my fingers to make sure the water touches all the new growth just as much as it is touching the other hair.

*When you shampoo, same idea--get the shampoo on all the new growth. Don't just slather the shampoo on the outer surface of your hair. Again, I finger part/separate and apply shampoo to my new growth. I gently massage, but not scrub or rough up the shampoo.

*When rinsing the shampoo, rinse inside the new growth. Are you seeing the pattern of making sure everything that touches the hair's surface also touches the new growth?

*With conditioning, make sure to get the conditioner on all of your new growth. I, again, part/separate hair with my fingers (vertical parts) and apply conditioner to the new growth that way. You do want to take care of the surface hair too, but don't neglect that new growth that is hidden underneath and between your surface hair.

*Once you rinse this conditioner out, rinse inside the new growth too.

To add to this advice on shampooing/conditioning through a relaxer stretch, after I rinse my conditioner, I apply a cheapie that I know detangles well like V05 or Suave. I am only using it as a detangling agent, so I don't let it sit for more than a minute or two. This one, I do slather on the surface of the hair and am not so meticulous about getting it inside and on all the new growth. I may massage it in to the new growth a tad from the surface, but no finger separating is involved to get this one on the new growth. When I rinse this conditioner out, I comb with a shower comb as the shower stream runs down the length of my hair. I usually rinse the right side while combing, then the back, then the left side.

I don't do anything to dry my hair, no towel, no squeeze, I just let it drip. When I get out of the shower, I apply a creamy leave-in and detangle my hair in sections starting from the ends with my shower comb. This is not a quick process. I also am not really running the shower comb through the new growth. The new growth should be nice and separated just from all the finger separating you did while washing/conditioning and then when you combed it while rinsing the cheapie out.

I have found that Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner is my #1 top conditioner while I am stretching. I buy it by the liter. It is also my fave even when I am not stretching.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
@Supergirl
this is how I apply my DC's as well. What I also do is apply the DC to the top layer and then to my ends first. I allow it to sit for a min or so and then I go back in and apply it to the inner sections. The reason I do it like this is because the hair just slips apart because it already has a barrier around it, and I get no breakage.

I also shampoo similarly, I rinse each section of my head for atleast 5 min. Yes it is time consuming but the end result is cooperative NG. I dont detangle my hair right after showering I allow it to dry about 90%.

Here goes another person talking about this Kenra moisturizing conditioner. I am going to buckle down and get some soon. Where do you purchase yours?

Last edited:

divachyk

@Myjourney2009, I like the idea of creating a barrier first.

@Supergirl, I clarified this past shampoo session when I experienced the hair fiasco. I used ORS creamy aloe. I will detangle on sopping wet hair next time. I know that most of us avoid heat and didn't realize that flat ironing new growth was an acceptable technique when stretching. I've done most things incorrectly in comparing my method to Lisa's. Typically, I let the water run over my hair rather than through my hair. May I ask, what's your creamy leave-in?

Kenra is going on my wish list. I think I glimpsed Kenra in Ulta the other day.

Side Note -- Most of my tangling and matting is at the start of my braid (at the very top) around the new growth. I think unraveling the braid and allowing water to run through the hair vs over the hair will cut down on some of the shower tangling that occurs because I'm always 100% detangled before stepping foot in the shower and somehow (obviously poor technique) I end back up with tangles before my process is a done deal.

Great tips ladies --

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
divachyk,

Maybe consider doing your shampoo and conditioning session with loose hair rather than braids. I think doing it loose will allow you to work through your new growth better.

Also, I would not consider the ORS Creamy Aloe to be a clarifying shampoo. It may have ingredients that strip the hair, but is not formulated to work the same way that a clarifying formula does. My recommendation is something like Redken Cleansing Cream or if you want to go cheap, look for the Suave or Pantene Clarifying Shampoo.

My creamy leave in right now is Bee Mine Hair Milk. I also like Shescentit Coco Creme Leave-In quite a bit. Elucence Moisture Balance conditioner is another that I like as a leave-in.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
divachyk,

If you decide to use Kenra MC, I noticed that you like to mix oils into your conditioners and I just wanted to tell you that this seems to work pretty well with Kenra MC and it helps me to get more uses out of it.

I mix in Smooth 'N' Shine Silk Fusion Hot Oil (3 tbsp.) + 1 tbsp. honey + 3 tbsp. pure aloe juice (not aloe gel). I put on a plastic cap and leave this on for 30 minutes to an hour, no heat.

divachyk

@Supergirl, thank you so much for the assistance --

I will be using Kenra since this is a conditioner that could potentially help deep into a stretch. Plus, it's comes highly reviewed by many. I really was trying to be discipline and not spend money but I will be purchasing Kenra immediately because I don't want to deal with what I just dealt with this past shampoo session.

Do you mix your items directly into your Kenra bottle or in a seperate bowl? If seperate, how much Kenra do you use?

It seems that most of the board users have found Smooth 'n Shine at either General Dollar, Family Dollar or Walmart. By chance I don't find it, have you tried mixing Kenra with other oils with good results?

I have V05 Herbal Escapes Kiwi Clarifying shampoo in my stash also. For future reference, is this a decent clarifying shampoo? ETA: My hair seems to be imbalanced with protein/moisture and is somewhat dry and breaking with tiny hairs (although baggying nightly is slowly reverting the dryness/breakage problem) , why would clarifying benefit me at this point, deep into the stretch with dry breaking hair -- wouldn't that strip the hair causing it to dry out even more?

Sorry to hit you up with so many questions.

Last edited:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
divachyk

@Supergirl, thank you so much for the assistance --

I will be using Kenra since this is a conditioner that could potentially help deep into a stretch. Plus, it's comes highly reviewed by many. I really was trying to be discipline and not spend money but I will be purchasing Kenra immediately because I don't want to deal with what I just dealt with this past shampoo session.

Do you mix your items directly into your Kenra bottle or in a seperate bowl? If seperate, how much Kenra do you use?

I use a separate bowl. I use anywhere from 1/2 cup to 1 cup, depending on how far into a stretch I am. I am 8 months in now so I'm using quite a bit. :yep: I try to always have a liter bottle on hand.

It seems that most of the board users have found Smooth 'n Shine at either General Dollar, Family Dollar or Walmart. By chance I don't find it, have you tried mixing Kenra with other oils with good results?

I have used jojoba and it works well.

I have V05 Herbal Escapes Kiwi Clarifying shampoo in my stash also. For future reference, is this a decent clarifying shampoo? ETA: My hair seems to be imbalanced with protein/moisture and is somewhat dry and breaking with tiny hairs (although baggying nightly is slowly reverting the dryness/breakage problem) , why would clarifying benefit me at this point, deep into the stretch with dry breaking hair -- wouldn't that strip the hair causing it to dry out even more?

If your clarifying shampoo product actually says "clarifying" on the label, then I am all for it, because that means it was formulated specifically for that purpose. My only exception would be the Kenra Clarifying Shampoo--it is too mild of a clarifier in my opinion.

The purpose of clarifying at this point is to remove anything that would get in the way of your moisturizing treatment. Yes, it will strip the hair and then you will add moisture back to the hair so you will not end with stripped hair if you're using a good moisturizing product (which Kenra MC is). Otherwise, to use an excellent moisturizing product on hair that possibly has build up on it will be of no effect. The product may not work well or may seem not to work at all if the hair has a layer or layers of something on it before applying the moisturizing treatment. I also would not suggest a pre-poo prior to clarifying.

Sorry to hit you up with so many questions.

Last edited: