To stretch or not to stretch?

Should GG stretch or no?

• Yes - for as long as you can stand it.

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Yes - maybe for another few weeks.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nah - schedule that relaxer girl.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Glib Gurl

So I got my last relaxer about 7 weeks ago. I have maybe a quarter-inch of new growth. Style-wise, I'm still finding my hair pretty manageable (typically I'm not able to do much with my hair a month after having gotten a relaxer). Then again, I'm not trying to do much these days. I'm wondering if I should try to stretch for like, 10 or 12 weeks . . . given that my hairline is thinning, I'm thinking it would be a good idea. At the same time, though, I hate to just stretch for the sake of stretching . . . I mean, if I end up doign a lot of pulling and struggling to style my hair, that doesn't do it much good either.

Any thoughts?

Moisture, moisture, moisture. Don't pull and struggle to style; but up the moisture and try for low-manipulation styles to stretch longer and stronger!

I voted "as long as you can take it", but lately I haven't been able to stretch past 7 weeks... my hair gets tangled and the shedding is crazy... so I relaxed and it felt like heaven...I started wondering why I was stretching in the first place :)

I am currently at 24 weeks post! The keys for me is low manipulation, moisture and sealing my ends. I only "expose" my hair during wash day. I comb my bang with my fingers. I can say that this stretch is the best thing for me. My hair is soooo much thicker and fuller and it feels so much better.

Thanks for your input ladies. I have been moisturizing and dc'ing alot . . . so I think that has helped . . . . .

I voted that you should "stretch as long as you can stand it," even if it's just an extra week or two.

Taking a longer break from relaxers may help your edges fill in, and it will give you more NG to work with to avoid overprocessing. Also, if you are into low manipulation styles, then I think your hair should be fine...just be gentle when handling and keep up the moisture.

I'm a self-relaxer (texlaxed), and in the past, I've done my touchups every 8-10 weeks, without fail. But right now, I'm 7 weeks post (with 1" of NG)and plan to stretch to 12 weeks this time. In 2009, I want to go to 13 weeks (my limit), or 4 relaxers a year.

I've decided to stretch longer for two reasons: 1) the health and thickness of my hair; and 2) touchups are a lengthy process, so I want to do them as infrequently as possible.:look:

Back