Products to help you stretch?

BotanyGrl

I need all the stretchers to post their fav products that help with their stretch. I've just recently started my hair journey and usually stretch for 12-16 weeks. My new growth gets really dry around week 8 and I need to know what to do to help with the stretch. My former alternative was usually to braid it or cornrow. I want to stay away from the braids right now because my hairline is suffering :ohwell:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Try a glycerin based product like S Curl or carefree gold and wet bun. It helped 2 of my friends who relax 2Xs a year. Their hair looks very healthy and thick.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
CON detangling shampoo and nourishing conditioner 2x a week. My NG is really soft and easy to manage when I wash with these and I use S-Curl as well.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
5 months post-relaxer. I want to relax only twice a year: June and December. I blow dried my hair straight this weekend for a wedding and I couldn't believe how healthy and thick my hair has become. I've been using castor oil for thickening, adding that to Kid's Organic Shea Butter Detangling and Moisturizing Lotion. I use this daily, sealing with a light oil and castor oil on the ends. My ends look surprisingly good.

To maintain NG, I use Mane N' Tail Detangling Conditioner, adding glycerin, rosemary, sage and basil, along with some oil. Every time I wash, I spray the mixture directly on my NG and my K-Cutter glides effortlessly through, from root to tip, without hardly any shedding or breakage. This is the truth!!

Nothing else: not Carefree Curl, not S-Curl, none of that works. I have them all and I want to just give them away. These products really don't work for me. The Mane N' Tail is excellent especially with the glycerin added.

Hair2Dye4

I'm 14 weeks post, which is my longest stretch yet, and I've found that my CON (green label), Care Free Curl Gold, and coconut oil have been alot of help.

gymfreak336

ORS replenishing packs- give great slip
prepoos with alma oil- help keep newgrowth soft and easier to wash
giovanni direct leave in - helps me detangle my hair, also use it to rollerset with
prepooing with vo5 conditioner- easy cheap way to increase moisture levels
CON shampoo green one- one of the best detangling shampoos

eajaye2u

Afro-detangler, greg juice and sillicon mix:grin:

I need all the stretchers to post their fav products that help with their stretch. I've just recently started my hair journey and usually stretch for 12-16 weeks. My new growth gets really dry around week 8 and I need to know what to do to help with the stretch. My former alternative was usually to braid it or cornrow. I want to stay away from the braids right now because my hairline is suffering :ohwell:

silverlotus

Ditto on the ORS Pak for slip. It's my staple d/c when stretching. For an extra moisture boost, try adding oil to your d/c. ACV rinses also help with detangling. HTH! :)

MizzBrown

Do they NOT make ORS Replenishing paks in a bottle or economy size rather than those little packets? Those packets can get expensive after a while at $1.50 per pack.

I picked up a couple and will try soon but they have to economize if its such a hot item.

Do they NOT make ORS Replenishing paks in a bottle or economy size rather than those little packets? Those packets can get expensive after a while at $1.50 per pack.

I picked up a couple and will try soon but they have to economize if its such a hot item.

They do have the big bottles. It's labeled as a "Replenishing Conditioner" instead of the "Replenishing Pak". It is more economical than all the packs. I have been able to find them at some BSS's.

Hey there!!!!

9 months post here. I really didn't plan to stretch this long, but I stumbled onto something that has helped me tremendously!!!!! Really quick, really easy.

MILK!!!! Yes, I said it...MILK!!!! I use either coconut or regular milk. I put it on my dry hair like I would a pre-poo and put a shower cap on. After I wash my body everything, I wash my hair with CON (Green label). Sometimes I have to wash it twice because the milk can leave my hair feeling a little stiff. After that, my NG is SOOOOOO much easier to deal with. I find that my natural curl pattern gets looser the next time I do this, but the results only last for a few weeks.

I love it so much that I find myself doing this once a week now. It makes my NG soooo much easier to flat iron. I can't even tell where my NG stops and the relaxed hair starts....and my hair is VERY COURSE. I tell you, it works. It is the only reason I have been able to stretch since February.

Extremus

Hey there!!!!

9 months post here. I really didn't plan to stretch this long, but I stumbled onto something that has helped me tremendously!!!!! Really quick, really easy.

MILK!!!! Yes, I said it...MILK!!!! I use either coconut or regular milk. I put it on my dry hair like I would a pre-poo and put a shower cap on. After I wash my body everything, I wash my hair with CON (Green label). Sometimes I have to wash it twice because the milk can leave my hair feeling a little stiff. After that, my NG is SOOOOOO much easier to deal with. I find that my natural curl pattern gets looser the next time I do this, but the results only last for a few weeks.

I love it so much that I find myself doing this once a week now. It makes my NG soooo much easier to flat iron. I can't even tell where my NG stops and the relaxed hair starts....and my hair is VERY COURSE. I tell you, it works. It is the only reason I have been able to stretch since February.

Wow! 9 months! :shocked:.............milk was soo drying to my hair, I wonder what I did wrong? :sad:

*KP*

I am now just over 12 weeks post relaxer, I have used the Mizani Thermasmooth System to help with my stretching - it is a 4 step straightening system. It involves using heat so if you are on a no heat regimen it won't work for you.

When I used it it made my hair look about 1-2weeks post relaxer. My sis has been stretching for 4 months now and has decided to go natura, she cut her hair quite short so half of it is now natural. She used it yesterday and was very impressed with the results. I wish I'd taken pics when I saw here because I was very impressed.

I have also tried using just hair straighteners without the system but I cannot get my roots as straight.

Here is a link to the system - http://www.mizani-usa.com/?m=35&rid=100

Wow! 9 months! :shocked:.............milk was soo drying to my hair, I wonder what I did wrong? :sad:

Yes, milk can be very drying. That's the reason that I washed with CON (green label). I had to wash with it twice last time. The CON STILL left my hair moisturized. I am lovin it now!!!!:yep:

I am now just over 12 weeks post relaxer, I have used the Mizani Thermasmooth System to help with my stretching - it is a 4 step straightening system. It involves using heat so if you are on a no heat regimen it won't work for you.

When I used it it made my hair look about 1-2weeks post relaxer. My sis has been stretching for 4 months now and has decided to go natura, she cut her hair quite short so half of it is now natural. She used it yesterday and was very impressed with the results. I wish I'd taken pics when I saw here because I was very impressed.

I have also tried using just hair straighteners without the system but I cannot get my roots as straight.

Here is a link to the system - http://www.mizani-usa.com/?m=35&rid=100

I tried this too. It worked well, but I didn't like step 4. It made my hair feel sticky. I have pictures in my Fotki.

*KP*

I tried this too. It worked well, but I didn't like step 4. It made my hair feel sticky. I have pictures in my Fotki.

I wasn't keen on step 4 either because it has alcohol in it, I just substituted that with another heat protectant I have but my sis liked step 4 so I guess it worked for her hair texture.

ETA- just checked out your fotki, your hair turned out so straight after using it :)

Last edited:

bravenewgirl87

Qhemet Biologics products and a super good deep conditioner. Also, a good, moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. My favorites are Oscar Blandi Alla Crema Shampoo and Conditioner, Bb.Coco De Creme line or Alojoba Line, Bb. Deep Conditioner, Organix Coconut Milk shampoo and condish, And phytospecific shampoo.
Also, Mizani's DCs are good too.

Brownie518

Herbal Essences Dangerously Straight conditioner
ORS packs
Amla oil rinses
Castor oil rinses
Ojon Animated Styling Creme
A little extra SAA or Silk Peptide Powder in my conditioner

These all smooth and detangle my new growth.

kombov_dymond

Mixing coconut milk with any thick conditioner help my stretches alot.

For the ladies that said castor oil help them to stretch, in what ways are you using the castor?

Soliel185

The milk is drying b/c of the protein - There have been a few threads on using milk ( coconut & regular ) and yogurt to soften hair texture and help with stretching. I think it's b/c of the combo of the milk protein and lactic acid - the coconut straightening recipe calls for milk mixed with juice of two limes - so I think the combo of protein and acid has a straightening effect on the hair. Alot of straightening products have citric acid as an ingredient - but you have to moisturize to counteract the possible drying effect of the two of those together. Some added honey or cheap con to the mixture or followed with a DC. One woman said she had good results with buttermilk as well. HTH. :drunk: