Grow Back The Edges Challenge 2009

cookie1

I think I'm going to switch back and forth from my bee mine to Dr. miracle. I'll oil my edges every night b/f puttin on my scarf and see what happens. I have to use a brush when wearing my hair back but, I need to find one that won't take the hair out. I'm in also- this is my first challenge

Muffinz05

Update: Well, the concoction seems to be working because I'm seeing some fuzzies on my edges. I'll take some pics next week being that's my wash week.

ayoung

Ok, I have been stalking this thread. Interesting, I've seen how people on here have grown their napes by keeping it braided and the length cover it.

I think I can incorp. this with my rollersets--but I have a question:

How does this aid the edges if we take the braids down everyday?

Evolving78

Hiya, I would like to join,

What I will be doing is putting a mix of MTG, Mega Tek and rosemary oils to my edges, and spraying with African pride water based and very light hair and scalp spray.

Here is my staring pics- severe I know!

i can't wait to see you progress pics!

flowinlocks

I don't want to join the challenge, but I just wanted to say Castor oil seems to work wonders for thickening up thin edges, I have been sealing with this oil for a short while & it seems to be making my hairline thicker, if anyone is intrested...

MrsMe

I may try making my on mixture of oil. I found a site that had some remedies for hair loss and hair growth. I'm thinking of trying one. Here's the link for anyone interested. http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/beauty/hair-loss.html

Also, I'm very bad at cornrowing my hair. Has everyone been doing this? And, just how beneficial is that step ?

:spinning: There are so many recipes that I don't know which one to choose...
I do the cornrows every night but it's disturbing my whole morning routine because I have to do my hair EVERY morning now. I usually style for a couple of days and then redo it... So what I'm gonna do now is keep one side of my hair (edges) cornrowed for a week and cover it up with a bang, then alternate the next week. I'll post pics or a video on YouTube to further explain this...
I've been using a mix of my own concoction and I must admit that I have been neglectful of my hair, because it did help the growth when I used to apply it regularly. Now I apply it to my scalp and the ends of my hair.
Here's the list of ingredients:
-olive oil
-castor oil
-jojoba oil
-vitamin E oil
-peppermint oil

I'm thinking about adding wheat germ oil and almond oil, but I don't want to make it so heavy to the point that it cloggs my pores.
Do any of you wash their hair more than once a week? I'm thinking about a quick mid-week wash of the hair around the temples and the back (I wash my hair once a week, on the weekends) to avoid buildup + I'm going to the gym and I sweat a lot.
I can't wash my whole head more than once a week...that would be slavery and I don't want to turn into Kizzi, slave to Master Hair. :nono:

msdevo

I have to admit I have not cornrowed my edges. I am heavy handed and I am afraid that I will make it even worse than it already is.

anon123

I need to join. I have no idea why my edges are so jacked. They are not baby bottom smooth, but compared to the rest of my head, they may as well be. I don't wear tight hairstyles, put chemicals on them, or wear braids.

I just bought a hair bonnet for nighttime, I felt like my scarf may have been a culprit.

Mine are jacked, too, and I don't know why. I also don't wear tight styles or braids or use any chemicals. I am going back to using MT on my edges. I'm doing it every other night and rinsing it off in the morning. Then I'm putting on the Qhemet Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm. If I need to smooth the hairline a bit, this helps. It also has a little sulfur in it, so I'm hoping that helps, too.

It's funny, because one school of thought is that you should manipulate the hair that's breaking the least. Then another school of thought is that you should keep it cornrowed. OP, why cornrow the hair every night? Why not just cornrow it and leave it until the next washing/styling time? I'd like to be in on the challenge, but I suck at cornrows and even if I didn't I don't think I'd be cornrowing every night. However for the next time I wash and style my hair (I do it weekly), I think I'm going to do cornrows with beads so that it looks kinda like a hair headband and then I'm going to style the rest of the hair as usual.

Tamrin

unapologetic
How are you ladies doing. I see many of us are using growth aides at this time I will be using MT and OCT. I still cornrow every night.

A reminder ladies not too tight. It's just to keep the ends in to protect them.

so so chic

I cornrowed my edges tonight. I have some OCT that I am going to use daily or every other day on my edges and see how that works. Hopefully, I can stick to this because my edges are horrible. I think that I will try leaving the cornrows in for a few days at a time also.

Tamrin

unapologetic
Mine are jacked, too, and I don't know why. I also don't wear tight styles or braids or use any chemicals. I am going back to using MT on my edges. I'm doing it every other night and rinsing it off in the morning. Then I'm putting on the Qhemet Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm. If I need to smooth the hairline a bit, this helps. It also has a little sulfur in it, so I'm hoping that helps, too.

It's funny, because one school of thought is that you should manipulate the hair that's breaking the least. Then another school of thought is that you should keep it cornrowed. OP, why cornrow the hair every night? Why not just cornrow it and leave it until the next washing/styling time? I'd like to be in on the challenge, but I suck at cornrows and even if I didn't I don't think I'd be cornrowing every night. However for the next time I wash and style my hair (I do it weekly), I think I'm going to do cornrows with beads so that it looks kinda like a hair headband and then I'm going to style the rest of the hair as usual.

You can do it weekly and leave it alone. I chose at night because some people wish to style as their hair in different ways and not want the fresh braid out edges. Those who wear wigs can do that if they want.

I chose at night because a lot of us use scarves or bonnets and the we know the friction those materials cause, silk or not they affect the edges. By keep the ends of out edges protected at night it prevents the breakage.

Tamrin

unapologetic
I cornrowed my edges tonight. I have some OCT that I am going to use daily or every other day on my edges and see how that works. Hopefully, I can stick to this because my edges are horrible. I think that I will try leaving the cornrows in for a few days at a time also.

Thats a good Idea. I may try that on the weekends when Im in the house. I was thinking of investing in a wig. That may also help.

msdevo

How are those edges coming along ladies??

Im hanging in there. Keeping them moisturized and staying away from the tension.

adnolej

I've always had the same problem!:perplexed count me in! I have braids in right now, but they're coming out this weekend, after that, I'm in 100%:grin:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I didnt do my cornrolls this week, I tried to up my DC's more. But I will be going back to the weekly cornrolls maybe tomorrow.

alopeciagrl

I have been applying my oils to my egdes and massaging my scalp. They also look the same to me however it the beginning of the journey...I'm going to take pics of my edges this weekend and post...TTYT.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I lied I still havent put my cornrolls back in. I will def be doing it this weekend I am tired of looking at my hair.

missnurselady

I need to be in this challenge. I have a sew in so i can do the corn row thing at night. I will be applying my mega tek mix or maybe just some mn and castor oil. not sure