Grow Back The Edges Challenge 2009

Tamrin

unapologetic
Growing up whether I was natural or relaxed, I always had issue with my edges. They are not gone but they are always shorter than the rest of my hair. Till this day I still have this problem. So today I decided to do something my mom used to do to my hair as a kid in order to grow my edges. She would cornrow my hair in this fashion every day. And it worked to grow my edges.

I know a lot of the ladies here have edge issues. Who would like to join me? I'm so sick of short edges. I want to change it for 2009.

I want to start a challenge there are no product to use. Use what you have. You don't have to buy anything extra. This is light on the pocket. The only rules would be:

1- Moisturize and/or apply growth aids.
2-Whatever else you want to do to your hair before bed is fine.
3- You MUST cornrow the edges every night as shown in pic above and put on scarf or bonnet
4-In the morning you can style as usual.
5-Check in every 2 weeks with an update.

Participating member are:

Divine Inspiration
Muffinz05
Guudhair
Duchesse
Highly Favored8
Tyefrmy
Clem98tig
Denise11
Jaded_Faerie
Luvovcandy
Msdevo
Ms_b_haven06
So So Chic
Napp
Clem98tig
Alyn308
Ms.Lyons
Alopeciagrl
Pureebony
perlenoire83
Ayoung
Cookie01
IntelligenceisBeautiful
divinempress
adnolej
missnurselady
prettybrowneyescutie

Last edited:

Divine Inspiration

I'm in. Mine aren't horrible, but I want them to be thicker because I want to do more straight styles next year. I actually have my hair cornrowed the way yours is in that photo. :lol: I'm doing a braidout this week.

This past year I used WGO which worked well. I stopped using TS because it contains parabens and I didn't like the idea of putting parabens in my scalp like that every day.

In '09, I'm planning to use Parnevu's T-Tree Scalp Oil every night and do a hairline massage before I put my scarf on.

I've been eating more turnips, broccoli, and cabbage this year which seems to have really made a difference.

Tamrin

unapologetic
I'm in. Mine aren't horrible, but I want them to be thicker because I want to do more straight styles next year. I actually have my hair cornrowed the way yours is in that photo. :lol: I'm doing a braidout this week.

This past year I used WGO which worked well. I stopped using TS because it contains parabens and I didn't like the idea of putting parabens in my scalp like that every day.

In '09, I'm planning to use Parnevu's T-Tree Scalp Oil every night and do a hairline massage before I put my scarf on.

I've been eating more turnips, broccoli, and cabbage this year which seems to have really made a difference.

Thank you for joining. Im so tired of my edges I need to do something. On top of it I stretch for 6 months at a time so I have to baby my edges.

Divine Inspiration

Thank you for having me. As I massaged my temples last night, I thought about starting a challenge and changed my mind.

I'm excited to see how they'll look this time next year. :yay:

Evolving78

my hairline is very fine and i want to thicken it up. i wear twists all week so i can't do the cornrow thing. i want to try rosemary or tea tree oil to massage that area nightly. i going to start doing it when the new year comes.

Muffinz05

Count me in. I messes my edges up a little by using the wrong brush on my edges and I think my scarfs are causing my breakage. I started wearing my hair in two-strand twist and using my own concoction of jamaican castor oil, manabhringraj, and msm powder. Keeping my fingers crossed that this works.

guudhair

Count me in too...just bought some ORS Fertilizing Temple Balm yesterday...within 15 minutes of putting it on I got a headache...I put it on again today and got another headache so I'm taking it back.

Duchesse

I need to join. I have no idea why my edges are so jacked. They are not baby bottom smooth, but compared to the rest of my head, they may as well be. I don't wear tight hairstyles, put chemicals on them, or wear braids.

I just bought a hair bonnet for nighttime, I felt like my scarf may have been a culprit.

Highly Favored8

Yes, Yes, Count me in as well. I have been using Bee-Mine and I noticed my edges are comming back little by little I have been using that Product since September 2008. I massage it in my scalp every night especially along my edges.

Tamrin

unapologetic
Bumping for more responses. Tomorrow I will post a list of people participating...

If you are interested please join us.

LDITP

Demi27

I would like to join. I don't know what's going on with my edges right now, but they are suffering for some reason (especially the right one).

I'm in.

msdevo

Count me in to please. It seems that everything grows except for my edges. I do believe that my wigs and wig caps may be the culprit though.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I am in the mix. I braid my nape going across like that cause its short, never thought to do my front edges. When I rebraid my hair Tuesday I will do the front like that. I wear LF so mines will stay braided for a week at a time.

Duchesse

Are we going to post before and after pics? Also what methods are you all using?

I'm embarrased to put my business on the streets, but if it helps I will.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i wil join. im keeping mine in braids to grow them out. my goal for 09 is to retain all 6 inches on my edges. i hate how my edges are short and the hair behind it is so long.

so so chic

My edges are horrible. They have always been bad, but I think my wigs have made it worse. I'm not sure what my game plan will be yet, but count me in.

alyn308

I would like to join. I'm wearing twist for most of the year so I wont be able to conrow my edges every night...is that ok?

LostInAdream

Im in my edges have been lightskin for awhile(not cool). I'm going to be in sew-ins for most of '09, so I will start leaving them out. I will massage them everynight with a mixture of cinnamon, grapeseed and jojoba oil.

msdevo

Currently I am alternating between Claudies Edge Balm and Claudies Elixir to bring my edges up to par.

alopeciagrl

I would like to join if i can get my edges to grow his will make my hair alot fuller.

I will most likely apply the same oils to my edges that I put on my scalp I will reapply in the morning to give an extra boost that's basically it for now however I will be doing research to see what other remedies will be good then post them for you guys.

pureebony

Hiya, I would like to join,

What I will be doing is putting a mix of MTG, Mega Tek and rosemary oils to my edges, and spraying with African pride water based and very light hair and scalp spray.

Here is my staring pics- severe I know!

alopeciagrl

I started my egdes regimen tonight. I used an oil made with castor oil and peppermint. The castor oil is VERY thick I hope it doesn't clog my pores however I'm hoping for thickness by using it and peppermint to stimulate the growth

Also I feel like this challenge needs a boost. Here is an old forum about edges that may be helpful for our journey.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=219371

MrsMe

I'm in! I'm in! I'm in! I'M IN!!! lol I have had trouble with my edges for as long as I can remember and I even have an empty patch on my right side because of a relaxer burn (over 10 years ago now...)! My edges were starting to get better last year, but they've receded after wearing braids and twists for the past 3 months. I'm going to give my hair a break for a while and this is the perfect challenge for me!! I'm starting tonight and hopefully myt edges will get fuller and a little bit longer.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Mines are still in braids but I forgot to do my front edges going horizintal will try to remember for next week.