Do you wear your scarf/bonnet and rollersets in public?

Do you wear your scarf/bonnet and or rollerset in public?

• Yes. I wear my scarf/bonnet where ever I want.

Votes: 26 9.4%
  • No. I would never wear a scarf/bonnet in public.

Votes: 162 58.5%
  • Yes. I wear my scarf/bonnet in public, but it depends on the place.

Votes: 79 28.5%
  • I don't wear scarves.

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Yes. I wear a rollerset anywhere and everywhere.

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • No. I never wear a rollerset in public.

Votes: 127 45.8%
  • Yes. I wear a rollerset in public, but it depends on the place

Votes: 19 6.9%
  • I don't rollerset.

Votes: 16 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TLC1020

No. I would never wear a scarf/bonnet in public, I'll pull my hair back or whatever... Scarf/bonnet is not something I would do, haven't done it and won't start now :ohwell:

I know this is bad but I sometimes wear a shower cap when it is raining to protect my edges and press from humidity and water.

I feel as if some people who are completely against doing this can afford to leave their hair out or get caught in a storm. I'm natural and I prefer bone straight hard presses and don't like to keep retouching daily after getting my hair done. Imagine just getting your hair done and having some parts revert and some bone straight -not cute. :nono:
I don't like wearing my shower cap-I don't think it's good but I have no other alternative. Anyone have any suggestions?

I even carry an emergency bonnet and shower cap in my purse. :look:

PassionFruit

all yall cute heffas will talk about me today... cuz I got a henna paste on my hair right now and I think I wanna leave it on a lil while longer... but my Dr's office just called and asked can I make it there by 10:30 cuz he has a cancellation...

I WILL be going with a jherri curl plastic cap on my hair... I will cover it with 1 of those silk scarves I got from Old Navy a month or so ago...

and since Im gonna be out, I WILL be taking myself to lunch looking just like that

hmph

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I will never ever wear a rollerset in public but I have no problems with a scarf....depending on where I'm going. Which reminds me that I need to look for some pretty, stylish scarves to have just in case.

amber815

I will wear my scarf if I am going somewhere with a drive-thru lol. I refuse to take my wrap/rollers out when I am just going up the skreet to McDonald's or the ATM and coming right back home to get back in the bed.

cupcakes

yes on rainy days when i was fully relaxed i have worn scarves in public..and didnt give a damn. but now that i am transitioning i am no longer scared of the rain so i wont be doing that anymore

Last edited:

tazzydennis

No. My mother instilled that in me a long time ago. If she was leaving and I wanted to go; I had to do something with my hair. So, now when I see young ladies walking around like that, my first thought is, that is ghetto fab...without the fab! :nono:

LivingDoll

I'm not long enough for a rollerset...YET :grin:...but I do wear scarves..just not outside :nono:...that's like wearing slippers outside (to me).

miami74

all yall cute heffas will talk about me today... cuz I got a henna paste on my hair right now and I think I wanna leave it on a lil while longer... but my Dr's office just called and asked can I make it there by 10:30 cuz he has a cancellation...

I WILL be going with a jherri curl plastic cap on my hair... I will cover it with 1 of those silk scarves I got from Old Navy a month or so ago...

and since Im gonna be out, I WILL be taking myself to lunch looking just like that

hmph

:lachen::lachen: I have worned my rollerset to the grocery store and BSS when I was airdrying. I also have worn my satin scarf in public, in fact I just worn a satin scarf on Saturday when I left the salon. I had my stylist wrap my hair, tie it down with the satin scarf and I went about my merry way, stopping at stores and all. I have no shame! :grin:

productjunkie814

I walked out the hairdressers in a rollerset once - I was 12, I was mortified, and I was furious at my mother for it. I laid down across the back seat of the car the whole way home so that no one would see me. Needless to say, I don't wear rollersets out.

I will wear a decorative scarf out. Just my preferences...

Qualitee

I think it looks kinda tacky to do that. Unless you just left the salon of something. But dont go shopping in the mall with a scarf or bonnet on your hair.:nono:

Kirei

Yes, I do. I don't do rollersets, but I wear scarves, not bandanas but silk, polyester scarves.

Tacky, hmph. Who wants to look cute to go to Wal-Mart? I could see to church or somewhere special, but Wal-Mart or some other store, no. And who am I supposed to be looking so cute for? I am married, I don't need all that attention on me anyway, especially not at Wal-Mart, I go there to get groceries, not stop traffic.

Now if we were talking about holey cothes and raggedy shoes, that's different, but a scarf, come on.

I have other things to worry about than me walking out the house in a scarf. And if you see me and think your little negative thoughts, you need be concentrating on what you went in the store for, it is not a fashion show, it's the dang Wal-Mart or BSS or where eva!

Are some of ya'll married and have children? What about when you have to make a quick run to get something for dinner that you forgot or pick up a few things, do you get all jazzed up for that? I ain't got the time!:nono:

PassionFruit

Yes, I do. I don't do rollersets, but I wear scarves, not bandanas but silk, polyester scarves.

Tacky, hmph. Who wants to look cute to go to Wal-Mart? I could see to church or somewhere special, but Wal-Mart or some other store, no. And who am I supposed to be looking so cute for? I am married, I don't need all that attention on me anyway, especially not at Wal-Mart, I go there to get groceries, not stop traffic.

Now if we were talking about holey cothes and raggedy shoes, that's different, but a scarf, come on.

I have other things to worry about than me walking out the house in a scarf. And if you see me and think your little negative thoughts, you need be concentrating on what you went in the store for, it is not a fashion show, it's the dang Wal-Mart or BSS or where eva!

Are some of ya'll married and have children? What about when you have to make a quick run to get something for dinner that you forgot or pick up a few things, do you get all jazzed up for that? I ain't got the time!:nono:

exactly my point...

poookie

never.

that's not to say that i spend 50-11 minutes prepping myself to go anywhere, but i think that rollers / head wraps are totally inappropriate to wear outside (unless you're at the hairdressers)

but i'm a hamptonian, and they force us into that way of thinking...

:look:

naturalmanenyc

I have never and will never wear a rollerset in public. DH would just die. However, I have no problems with wearing a scarf in the car....and did just that over the weekend when we drove to Virginia. We leave in the middle of the night and arrive in the morning and only the doorman in our building has seen me close up in the scarves. But I took off my scarf and pinned up my hair BEFORE I got out of the car to meet my BFF for lunch at her office.

My traveling look is here - http://public.fotki.com/regswife/3262008-wash-first-/

BizzyB131

I would never run around with rollers in my hair, since I was a little girl i have been embarrassed to be seen with rollers in my hair.

However, I will wear a scarf on my head in the car till I get to my destination, weather its in a wrap or trying to get my hair to lay down in a ponytail.

I had a friend who everytime she would flat iron her hair she would walk around with a scarf on, we would be in best buy , in the liquor store , even on an airplane. She was from a non black ethnicity so maybe they thought it was part of her culture :perplexed, I know I could not get away with it.

DivaD04

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: whatever happened to an umbrella and a jacket, a hoodie, skully....anything but a showercap. don't tell me first the bonnet and then the shower cap when it rains?:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: girl, yous crazy but i can't be mad at chu i guess u do what chu gotta right?

I know this is bad but I sometimes wear a shower cap when it is raining to protect my edges and press from humidity and water.

I feel as if some people who are completely against doing this can afford to leave their hair out or get caught in a storm. I'm natural and I prefer bone straight hard presses and don't like to keep retouching daily after getting my hair done. Imagine just getting your hair done and having some parts revert and some bone straight -not cute. :nono:
I don't like wearing my shower cap-I don't think it's good but I have no other alternative. Anyone have any suggestions?

I even carry an emergency bonnet and shower cap in my purse. :look:

Aveena

I haven't read this entire thread BUT after seeing Alicia Keys with her scarf so beautifully done outside I am now considering doing something similar for the gym.

Other than that...

no! :perplexed

MissFallon

If I am in a rush and my hair is looking crazy or if I have dc in it w. a plastic cap on I will wear a scarf outside...but only to the store or place close by. It also depends what kind of people are going to be around. I wouldn't wear it if I was running an errand in the business district but in a predominately black neighborhood or close to a salon I would wear my scarf or a rollerset.

Blessed_Angel

I'll run out with a scarf or my rollerset if I have to go get the mail or drop my recycling, or run to the corner store up the block. Other than that...no.

MissTical

I wear scarves quite often... but they are pretty silk scarves and I have done this for many years. It has to be a good quality scarf....exception when I go to the gym I'm not wearing them for style it's more for protection... so Yes I wear scarves.

Ballerina_Bun

Never.

However, during the winter, I will wear very cute winter hats, but underneath that "cuteness" is a plasticbag and a satincap. That's just to protect my hair from the elements and no one knows it's there besides me.