Naturals who sleep on satin pillowcases...

davisbr88

... what does your hair look like in the morning?
I am strongly considering sleeping on a satin pillowcase in lieu of my bonnets and scarves (except for when I would probably cross-wrap my hair when straightened). Anyway, I know I've read that some people only sleep on satin pillowcases and am wondering what you do before you go to sleep. How do you prep your hair (other than twists or braids for a twistout or braidout)? What do you do with your WNGs, buns, etc. ? Are they smashed to your head similar to how mine gets when I wear a bonnet?
I sleep pretty crazy and am just wondering if this is an option for me. I'd love to ditch the bonnet. Even if I just had to wear a scarf to protect my edges, I'm tryna lose this bonnet. Lol.

It's squashed and tangly because I move around alot. I tend to use the pillowcase as a backup to my scarf as that comes off at night too.

To prep my hair for bed when I was wearing it out (afro), I would grab pieces and twist/plait it or, grab the hair in one, plait it and then tie it down. If I was really lazy, I would just smooth it down and tie with scarf.

iri9109

my hair is always good in the morning...bonnets squish my curls and i dont like it...i never sleep without a satin pillowcase...when i fall asleep on the couch on accident my curls smush to the back of my head, but not when i put my satin pillowcase behind my head...i always tie a scarf around the front kinda like a headband because i have an obsession with sleek edges, but the back is just out free or in mini pinapples. in the morning i just take of the scarf, spritz, shake and go.

or

morning:

davisbr88

^^ Your hair looks great! That's what I was trying to do. Just use it to cover my edges and let the rest be free. Your curls are looser than mine though... I wonder if that makes a difference.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

It's squashed and tangly because I move around alot. I tend to use the pillowcase as a backup to my scarf as that comes off at night too.

To prep my hair for bed when I was wearing it out (afro), I would grab pieces and twist/plait it or, grab the hair in one, plait it and then tie it down. If I was really lazy, I would just smooth it down and tie with scarf.

What she said...:)

iri9109

^^ Your hair looks great! That's what I was trying to do. Just use it to cover my edges and let the rest be free. Your curls are looser than mine though... I wonder if that makes a difference.

thanks! i dont think it makes a difference though...the material is so shiny/slippery that your curls just slide over it instead of getting pressed to your head...onetime b4 i had the pillowcase i just laid a satin scarf over the pillowcase that was already on the pillow and i got similar results, but its hard to make sure the scarf stays put. i think satin bonnets squish curls because even tho its a satinish material, the shape and size of it doesnt really work for ppl unless they have a twa because the hair basically has to be scrunched up in there and the majority of your hair is touching the rest of your hair instead of the satin.

ambrosia had this hair pillowcase/bonnet hybrid that looks like it would be better than a normal bonnet because its bigger and roomier. she said it came from sallys

YouTube - Natural Hair|▶ Winter Night Routine

i think its called a pocket bonnet.
Cristina - Stay On - Stay On Satin Pocket Bonnet

s4pphir3

my hair is always good in the morning...bonnets squish my curls and i dont like it...i never sleep without a satin pillowcase...when i fall asleep on the couch on accident my curls smush to the back of my head, but not when i put my satin pillowcase behind my head...i always tie a scarf around the front kinda like a headband because i have an obsession with sleek edges, but the back is just out free or in mini pinapples. in the morning i just take of the scarf, spritz, shake and go.

or

morning:

Beautiful!!! :love:

davisbr88

Okay... for some reason I wasn't getting emails saying I was getting responses so I am so sorry I am so late coming back everyone!
Thanks so much for your responses ladies!
@iri: I actually have a pocket bonnet that I wore when I had Senegalese twists and extension braids but I have trouble keeping it on.... hmmmm....
I think I am going to try just a pillowcase soon. How about overnight twists/braids for twistouts and braidouts? Do they get messed up with not having a bonnet on?

beanie44

iri9109 your curls are saying something. They are some of the clumpiest, shiniest curls, I really like them, a lot.

natural_one

I only use a satin pillowcase. In the morning its smashed, but I find its easier to refresh than when I used to wear a bonnet.

EllePixie

When I NEED to get second day hair, my best option is to sleep on a satin pillowcase alone. Then, I just light spritz in the morning if my hair gets a little smashed then go. If my hair isn't parted down the middle or side, I pineapple. I still wear my satin bonnet when I use MTG though...but it still gets on my pillowcase. Grrrrr.

Diva_Esq

Iriri1909- :drool: LOVE your hair!!!!!!!! :drool: Thanks...My hair is shorter and I may use this to try and achieve day 2 hair.

I too have the sleek edges obsession and sleep with mine tied down. :)

AKA-Tude

IRI9109-
So Beautiful!!!!!
:kewlpics:
what products do you use?

Yeah ,
I do a pineapply-type thingy to my still short hair
then sleep on the satin case.

Sometimes I don't do any prepping before bed-
just sleep.
It usually is flat on the sides & back,
but still soft and easy to fluff/moisturize
when I get ready to style and leave the house.

@Davisbr88- :wavey:

Last edited:

Rei

hair comes out a crazy mess in the morning because i sleep wild. I actually prefer bonnets because i'd rather have smushed hair than hair everywhere, and bonnets actually stay on my head. Sleeping on a satin pillow alone isn't even that protective because i have a bad habit of pulling the covers over my head, so the covers are rubbing on my hair too, lol.

Missjae09

I have discovered that if I want to preserve my curly styles I can't sleep in a bonnet...i do have to sleep "cute" on the satin pillow case but it comes out much better than me sleeping with the bonnet. The bonnet leaves me looking like I slept with nothing on

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Most nights I sleep just with a satin pillowcase. I usually fall asleep before I put a bonnet on. Or I'm full head baggying with a plastic cap which sometimes I remember to put my bonnet on top.I'm a daily cowasher but two days a week I don't cowash until after I work out at the gym. So before going to the gym I let my hair get misted in the shower, spritz, and go.

davisbr88

Thanks for the responses, ladies!
I really think I'm going to ditch the bonnet because it keeps smushing my hair and making it shrink more. *no bueno*