Bunning Challenge for 2011.

2011-11-09_09-04-41_49.jpg

ETA: This is a lazy bun (again). I love hair sticks.

Last edited:
sunnieb - I'm all for a reveal - LET'S DO IT! When should we reveal since this challenge runs through 31 Dec? Perhaps the first week in Jan?

Still bunning ladies!!!

I second a reveal. Whats a challenge withough one?lol

Anyone nervous about wearing buns during the cold weather? What are you all doing to ensure your hair is protected in the cold?

I seal M&S and seal with shea and coconut oil. Is that enough?

@sunnieb - I'm all for a reveal - LET'S DO IT! When should we reveal since this challenge runs through 31 Dec? Perhaps the first week in Jan?

divachyk - I'll post a pic on December 31 and another one when I relax in January. I don't think I even posted a starting pic! :blush: I'll have to find one from around the time I joined the challenge.

Still bunning ladies!!!

I second a reveal. Whats a challenge withough one?lol

Anyone nervous about wearing buns during the cold weather? What are you all doing to ensure your hair is protected in the cold?

I seal M&S and seal with shea and coconut oil. Is that enough?

Readyone - I'm not nervous at all about bunning this winter. I'm cowashing up to 4x a week and dc'ing 1x a week to keep my moisture levels up. Also keeping moisture/protein balance.

Readyone - I'd be nervous about wearing my hair out all winter. I enjoy bunning. I bunned through last winter with no issues. Heck, I've bunned all year with no issues. It's my staple style.

Oh snap Raspberry - I love hair goodies.

Hello Ladies!!

I hang my head in shame because I abandoned my own challenge....*hangs head in shame* I got so burnt out on hair that I snapped under the pressure/responsibility and did the unthinkable. I BC'd!!! As you can see in my siggy I cut my *almost* WL hair up to Ear Length. I feel pretty stupid now because I miss my hair. LOL! I've got just enough hair now for a puny bun.

Anywho. I just wanted to congratulate all the ladies in here who have stuck with the challenge. Since it's almost over I will start a reveal thread at the end of the month so everyone can update on their progress. I've gotta go back through and add any names of those who joined after I defected. Keep up the good work ladies!!

Before and After @curlycrocheter is gorgeous. Were you transitioning? Why the BC? I know you said you snapped but just inquiring.

pre_medicalrulz - a hair net over the bun makes it look flawless even when it's not! :yep: Purchase them from Sally's for ~$1 for two in a pack. Thank you for the compliment. :giggle:

:wave: Hiya Ladies - I have covered my hair with a beanie for almost a week while vacationing in Vegas. It was so easy and lovely. Just tuck my hair with a good days hair pin. Put a satin bonnet on. Then the beanie on top of that. Done! I have so many colors that I can keep it fresh with a different color with each outfit.

I will be using my beanies on our next destination later this week - Orlando.

ETA: I won't return to bunning until I return to work. I love lazy hair.

Do you ladies sleep in your buns? Do you advice to do so? I sleep in a banana clip twists loose tucked bun and sleep in a baggy. Do you think this is fine?

@divachyk I got one of the clips below from http://www.franceluxe.com in the mail earlier this week and I love it already, it's very comfortable, makes me look forward to bunning more. Their clips are a bit pricey but after looking for alternatives on Ebay and Amazon I didn't find many choices for high quality french twist combs.

L1044BMain500.jpg

Now I'm spying their side combs :look:

Do you ladies sleep in your buns? Do you advice to do so? I sleep in a banana clip twists loose tucked bun and sleep in a baggy. Do you think this is fine?
Readyone - I do not sleep in my buns that I wear throughout the day but I baggy bun nightly though -- see LHCF blog for pictorial. My daily buns are pulled taunt and my baggy buns are not. I will occasionally wear a banana clip bun to bed. I reserve this for nights when I wash my hair and air dry and am desiring straight roots. Wearing a bun to bed tugs on the hair ever so slight that it helps it finish drying straighter. I usually put my hair up in the bun when about 95% dry. I don't do this often to prevent breakage from nightly tossing/turning.

Raspberry - I like cheap candy. You candy is pricey but pretty. Pics plz:grin:

All of these bun pics have me drooling! I wish I could bun like you guys because I love buns! My main problem is I usually end up with anorexic looking knots instead of buns. Especially now, seeing that I'm 20wks post. :}

I haven't checked in as regularly as I should but I'm still bunning 7 days a week. I should try to vary them because I basically twist, wrap and secure with a hair stick.

I don't sleep in the same bun from the day -- I take it down, M&S, put it in a loose bun, then wrap in silk cover.

Before and After @curlycrocheter is gorgeous. Were you transitioning? Why the BC? I know you said you snapped but just inquiring.

pre_medicalrulz - a hair net over the bun makes it look flawless even when it's not! :yep: Purchase them from Sally's for ~$1 for two in a pack. Thank you for the compliment. :giggle:

Oh wooooow! Thanks for that tip!!! ;)

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690

Hola Ladies,

I was doing great until last week Saturday. I have been wearing my hair down since then. BUT I plan to "bun" for the rest of 2011.....starting on Monday.

Checking in ... I've been bunning consistently. It's my go-to style, too. Unlike divachyk who has gorgeous buns, I just M&S, brush up, twist and stick a hair stick in it. Twisting the hair before I bun it helps keep SSK at bay and also I can tuck the sealed ends beneath the 'log.'

I'm up for a reveal although I wont see much change from my current siggy (Nov 26) to Dec 31.

For winter, I'm M&S'ing heavily -- wet the ends, then get heavy handed with shea/EVCO/JBCO/WGO mix and brush it into my ends. Just applying it with my hands wasn't getting all the ends. This new method really minimizes breakage.

Checking in ... I've been bunning consistently. It's my go-to style, too. Unlike @divachyk who has gorgeous buns, I just M&S, brush up, twist and stick a hair stick in it. Twisting the hair before I bun it helps keep SSK at bay and also I can tuck the sealed ends beneath the 'log.'

I'm up for a reveal although I wont see much change from my current siggy (Nov 26) to Dec 31.

For winter, I'm M&S'ing heavily -- wet the ends, then get heavy handed with shea/EVCO/JBCO/WGO mix and brush it into my ends. Just applying it with my hands wasn't getting all the ends. This new method really minimizes breakage.
regina07 - oh stop. You have gorgeous hair! I'm sure your buns are lovely!!! I'm at work and the internet connection is so slow so refresh me, have you posted a bun pic? I can't remember. sunnieb and I can help you with creativity.

Is there a challenge for 2012?

If you don't like your position, change it. You are not a tree!

Is there a challenge for 2012?

If you don't like your position, change it. You are not a tree!

I don't see one yet. I might not be the best to host a challenge, but I'll start a thread if no one else does. :look:

Sent from my Comet

Hey ladies..

I am still bunning 7 days week.. Getting tired of bunning, so I be glad when the challenge is over, but not so much b/c here I the chi it's cold so a bun work for the weather. :ohwell:

@MrsIQ and @sunnieb - hope you don't mind me sharing this but I have participated in the Hide Your Hair Challenge several times. That challenge is geared toward protective styling, thus bunning falls into that category. I personally feel that we should all move our participation there because that thread is far more active with posting, styles and suggestions. I gained a lot from that thread. I feel that many of you that are tired of bunning but are still interested in protective styling can gain a lot of styling ideas from that thread. I'll be moving my participation back to the HYH challenge in 2012. Hope to see you there. @Ms_CoCo37 is the host of that challenge.

ETA: HYH Challenge Link

Last edited:
Back