Board Recommendations that didn't work for you?

adrienne0914

Re: Board Recommendations that didn\'t work for you?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like creme moisturisers because they feel heavy, but it doesn't mean that they are all bad or that they don't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

SO TRUE! and, ironically, THAT is the exact reason that i like creme moisturizers.. because they ARE heavy. so it can also depend on what you're trying to get from a product. i've read where people say that something makes their hair heavy. when i'm trying to achieve a certain look, heavy hair is what i need. and when i'm trying to achieve another look, lighter hair is what i need. and it usually takes different products to achieve different looks. for instance, i just don't think curl activator works with straight styles. even though it looks okay, i don't like the way my hair feels after using it and blow drying.

anyway, my thing is the ACV rinse. it burned the
outta my scalp, and like i said, i smelled like a pickle for days.

oh yeah, and i don't like Aphogee treatment. i don't think the hair has to feel crispy to be stronger.

Cindy70

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think its just about hair type, its also to do with preference. Some people like the way a product makes their hair feel, but others may not like that. I don't like creme moisturisers because they feel heavy, but it doesn't mean that they are all bad or that they don't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with that. So many people on here love pure glycerin or products that contain glycerin in them, and it works wonderfully for their hair. I, on the other hand, have hair that absolutely doesn't like glycerin, my hair gets that frizzy/mushy look and I don't like that sticky/rubbery feeling that glycerin leaves on my hands. It's for sure a matter of what works for some might not work for others (as has been reiterated several times on this board).

Miosy

For me are conditioner washer- did nothing for me but tangles and build up
Coconut oil-left hair a bit brittle
S-curl-hair breakage after two weeks
Nexxus product (except their reconstructor)-nothing for me
CPR-at first my hair responded but as the textureed portion of my hair got longer CPR just stopped working for me
ORS-hair breakage

S

Stylepink

-Conditioner/daily washes
-S-Curl
-No lye relaxers

Country gal

I stop using S-curl and MSM. MSM caused me to have hideous zits. S-Curl made my hair week. I will be giving away the s-curl at the next D.C. meeting.

sylviaetc

my 2 cents...
lekair cholestrol (hated it)
air drying (hate it more)
motions nourish (hard hair)
scurl(hard dry hair)
con(slip? what slip?)
acv(hard hair, no slip, smelly to boot)
distilled water, nourish,olive oil spray bottle(never again)
no blow drying/hot curling(can't wait to get relaxer so i can fry my hair again)

caress

Re: Board Recommendations that didn\'t work for you

Keracare Humecto conditioner- did nothing for my hair when it was natural
Nexxus Humectress- did nothing for my hair when it was natural natural
ORS Mayonnaise- did nothing for my hair in general
Creme of Nature Shampoo- leaves my hair feeling coated

However, I knew of all these products before joining this board. The only one I tried because of this board was the Humectress. I may try the conditioners again now that my hair is relaxed. I remember the Humecto working along time ago on my relaxed hair (unless ir was another Keracare conditioner).

JazzAngel

<font color="blue">Oils of any kind. </font>

They tend to coat my hair and make it very dry.

<font color="blue">BUT, I must admit that I used way too much. Every single day may have been excessive. Also, I did not clarify as often as I should. </font>

DatJerseyDyme

For all of you that didn't like the s-curl (or if you want to get rid of some braid spray), if you have any braid spray left over, you may want to try that..I've been using it for the past week and LOVED the results..my hair wasn't heavy at all...Just a suggestion...

sylviaetc

i cannot believe i forgot to mention those money eaters
nexxus humectress, nexxus therapy, nexxus emergency!!! they did nothing i can see...

never again will i put nexxus emergency in my head, thank god i only bought a little bottle...

moni

Hi Tebby...
well you said yourself in a later thread that everyone's hair acts differently to certain stuff. Well my hair reacts differently. It doesn't like those things that I previously mentioned. lol...and not to be funny or anything...but unless I'm missing something my list was a lot shorter than others that I've read. To answer your question...washing once a week...deep conditioning every other week...and on the weeks that I don't deep condition I use Keracare's leave in conditioner. And for daily use I use Profectiv. When I started my hair was brushing my shoulders...now it falls between my shoulder blades...with the ends in tact. I also find that I don't need to constantly add protein to my regimen either. When I first started I did...now I don't. Well...I hope that satisfied your curiosity.

aprilbiz

Keracare Humecto... I can't say that it's not a beneficial conditioner, but it did not detangle my hair...

G

using s-curl for moisture
___
This made my hair so yucky.

G

Motions CPR did the WORST damage ever - my hair was breaking like straw.

G

3) Airdrying! Never ever again!!
___
My hair is a bloody mess after airdrying. I have to blow dry with a comb.

G

Biotin did nothing for me. MSM grew my hair but made my face a pimply mess.

G

Stretching out relaxers - My hair broke off (but luckily not too badly). I can't go past 6-7 weeks
___
I did this once - stretched out past 5 weeks - and I was so embarrassed when I went to the beautician. My hair was so matted at the roots.

G

WGO made my hair clump together
___
This stuff had my hair stinking so bad that I couldn't stand to be around myself. The end came when clumps of hair came out after I applied it on my wet hair. NEVER AGAIN will I use Wild growth oil.

G

Profective anything
___
I thought I loved this stuff but I actually hate it. The smells make me itch and the products feel like they are sitting on my hair and skin. I ESPECIALLY dislike that oil which has the blue and green beads.

lunalight7

Wow Bett...I loved the 3 in 1 Phase Oil...I tried tried it (one of my samples). It was suprisingly thick and felt buttery in my wet hair.

Sky

[ QUOTE ]
Wow Bett...I loved the 3 in 1 Phase Oil...I tried tried it (one of my samples). It was suprisingly thick and felt buttery in my wet hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I too am surprised these products were not useful. I love all the Profectiv products or should I say my hair likes them - I dont even have to think about it, my hair just "behaves" better when I use their line.

SweetNic_JA

*Infusium 23 - made my hair hard and didn't untangle
* Loreal ant-frizz smoothing serum ( I think that's it)
* Mizani Moisturefuse - did nothing
* Biotin - caused a lot of tiny little bumps on my face
* S-Curl Activator - eventually made my hair too soft and
weak. It felt like my hair was rotten.
*Lye relaxers - DO NOT STRAIGHTEN my hair well. I can't stop
using them because I am afraid of possible
damage caused by using to different based
relaxers. ie. hair breakage at the line of
demarcation.
*Daily Rinsing - It's ok for 4a/4b hair that is in braids
but don't try it if you're not. The ladies
from this thread can account for that.

SweetNic_JA

Oh yeah, and by the way, this post deserves ***** (5 STARS) !

MissM

Those conditioning washes didn't work for me-I don't know about anyone else but I like the feeling of "shampoo'd" hair. It makes me feel like I've washed away a week of grime! Those conditioner washes made me feel like my hair was not clean. And yes, you can over-conditon your hair and it can damage it. It is good to clarify every other week.

I am also not a fan of the no heat concept. My hair is very naturally curly, even with a relaxer, and I need heat to help keep it in line. I love my hair flat ironed!! But hey, hats off to those of you that can do it. I ain't mad atcha!

Kitkat

Great thread, Tebby!

Motions Oil Relaxer - after 3 weeks I needed a perm again!
Nexxus Humectress - made my hair feel like sandpaper.
Redken All Soft Heavy Cream - made my hair feel like sandpaper.

I have loved many of the other recs on this board - WGO, ORS Carrot Oil, Motions shampoo and leave in conditioner, Profectiv stuff.

Zuppy

I'm very surprised at the 4A/B's that didn't like the Nexxus line. My daughter is a THICK 4B and the Nexxus line is what we used when I started her regimen and it's really made a differerence. I just recently started trying other things. (I guess it's true just cause it's the same hair type don't mean it will work)

Infusim - hard hair
WGO - in my kinky twist, makes me feel... nausious
(but I keep trying cause I think it will give me fast growth!)

Just got Design Essentials Silk Essentials, HCO Leave-in &amp; Stimlations - wont' use for a while but will come back to this post when I do.

I also orderd free samples of Profectiv &amp; Pantenes relaxed &amp; Natural... Oh and purchased that grow shampoo (
Oh no....have I become a PJ
)

zoya_j

any curl activator gel tried em all my hair didn't like any

lala

My cabinets are full of stuff that did not work for me, but the worst was the shikakai and alma powder as a treatment. My hair was actually freeze-dried after applying this stuff. I had to use every conditioner in my arsenal to get it back to normal.

I've learned my lesson, I just stick with what works.

Country gal

[ QUOTE ]
Biotin did nothing for me. MSM grew my hair but made my face a pimply mess.

[/ QUOTE ]

My face is still recovering from the damage MSM did to it. I still have black heads from the pimple. I had to go to a dermatologist and she prescribed medication. Never again.

Karonica

Wild Growth is atrocious, the smell is pure murder, and it itched my scalp up someting crazy, but it was another hairboard that I learned about it from, so that wouldn't be fair.

I did not find myself liking the Profectiv 3n1 oil very much. It's just too lite for my hair.