Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 06-09-2009, 04:41 PM

Thanked 7,937 Times in 1,646 Posts
Mentioned: 408 Post(s)
Tagged: 72 Thread(s)
Default Air dry/flat iron

I have seen a lot of videos with some ladies with beautiful hair who air dry over night and flat iron in the morning. I'm pretty sure their hair is not completely dry in the AM based on the length and thickness (from the videos and pics I have seen). What are the pro's and cons of this? Any ladies who do this care to discuss? I'm thinking of trying it out.

Opinions please

Braid-out. Textured Bun. No sock.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:14 PM
<--- HL, here I come!

Thanked 25,878 Times in 4,396 Posts
Mentioned: 1658 Post(s)
Tagged: 99 Thread(s)
Default Re: Air dry/flat iron

I did this the last time I flat ironed. Well, it wasn't overnight, it was two days later. The results were really nice!

Shtow, you look so purdy in your siggy! Your hair looks great! Have you tried the Kenra Platinum Shea Butter Reconstructor yet?
Old 06-09-2009, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I used to do this, however, I prefer to blowdry first just so I can get it relatively straight, and speed through the flatiron process.

Pros- Less heat. I retained alot of length doing this.

Cons-More time flatironing. I'm impatient and like to get it all of out of the way at once.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffers View Post
I did this the last time I flat ironed. Well, it wasn't overnight, it was two days later. The results were really nice!

Shtow, you look so purdy in your siggy! Your hair looks great! Have you tried the Kenra Platinum Shea Butter Reconstructor yet?
Hmmm I have read on here some people say your hair will be dry because your hair preserves the most moisture on wash day. But I'm thinking that since my hair takes forever to dry, it will be more moisturized the next day in comparison to blow drying. Did your hair still feel moisturized, and for how many days?

And thank you on the purdy comment . I love your infiniti bun and new color! Wish I could bun like that! Im so lazy I rock the clear girl buns I just throw the hair up any ol' kind of way! I have not tried the reconstructor yet. Is it still working for you? I was scared it was gona do me like Kenra MC does me and work sometimes and just sit there other times. I surprisingly haven't tried any new products in hot minute (=a month on LHCF), Im too busy eying that PM flat iron

Old 06-09-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply_Kelz View Post
I used to do this, however, I prefer to blowdry first just so I can get it relatively straight, and speed through the flatiron process.

Pros- Less heat. I retained alot of length doing this.

Cons-More time flatironing. I'm impatient and like to get it all of out of the way at once.
I have come to the conclusion that I have no BIDNESS blow drying since my hair is bonelaxed and dries straight as all get out (it just takes forever and a day). Rollersetting is out of the question, been there, done that. My new blow dryer does not dry my hair out and since switching to it my breakage is pretty close to zero. But we could alll use more lenght retention lol

Old 06-09-2009, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

I airdry overnight. How dry the hair gets depends on what style you put it in to dry.

I do it b/c I'm laaaazy and 16+ months post. After I DC, detangle, rinse, add products and then re-detangle section by section I'm exhausted.

I do it in two low pigtail/buns b/c my crown and the center of my head us usually in the middle of a regular bun, so it takes forever to dry. If you don't have anywhere to go the next day, you can do more sections and expose more of your scalp overnight to get it drier.

The next day my hair is 90% dry, and already pretty straight because it was stretched overnight. It's also tangle free. I go through in large sections, making sure it's detangled, and then I'll either hit the roots with a paddle brush, or comb through it with the blow dryer for a few seconds. This isn't necessary (unless the roots are still really damp), but it makes getting the roots straight easier, and it makes sure my hair is fully stretched, so I only have to go over ea section once with the flatiron to get it straight.

ETA - I flatiron usually at the end of the next day. I usually wake-up, go about my business, and then finish when I get home, or I wait to do it until the day before I have off so I can take my time.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliel185 View Post
I airdry overnight. How dry the hair gets depends on what style you put it in to dry.

I do it b/c I'm laaaazy and 16+ months post. After I DC, detangle, rinse, add products and then re-detangle section by section I'm exhausted.

I do it in two low pigtail/buns b/c my crown and the center of my head us usually in the middle of a regular bun, so it takes forever to dry. If you don't have anywhere to go the next day, you can do more sections and expose more of your scalp overnight to get it drier.

The next day my hair is 90% dry, and already pretty straight because it was stretched overnight. It's also tangle free. I go through in large sections, making sure it's detangled, and then I'll either hit the roots with a paddle brush, or comb through it with the blow dryer for a few seconds. This isn't necessary (unless the roots are still really damp), but it makes getting the roots straight easier, and it makes sure my hair is fully stretched, so I only have to go over ea section once with the flatiron to get it straight.

ETA - I flatiron usually at the end of the next day. I usually wake-up, go about my business, and then finish when I get home, or I wait to do it until the day before I have off so I can take my time.
My crown and middle take forever to dry too. Im thinking I may do 4-6 ponytails overnight . You and your hair are very pretty!

Old 06-09-2009, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)

Air drying and then flat ironing left my ends a raggedy mess. I wonder what I am doing wrong.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)

I air dry overnight and flat iron the follwing day as well I find that it leaves my hair much thicker than roller setting...I really only flat iron the ends for straightness
Old 06-09-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKMATE! View Post
I air dry overnight and flat iron the follwing day as well I find that it leaves my hair much thicker than roller setting...I really only flat iron the ends for straightness
wow! now I cant wait to try it out.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajacks View Post
Air drying and then flat ironing left my ends a raggedy mess. I wonder what I am doing wrong.
do you mind describing how you did your hair this way?

Old 06-09-2009, 06:33 PM

Thanked 5,076 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 16 Thread(s)

OP, (shtow) thanks for the Thread;
Soliel185 I agree with your method;
I prefer to AirDry too. I acutlly got scared into it from reading a post about how we can damage our hair by improper use of the blow dryer. ( know I was guilty using of excessive heat here, and it not being dry enough there)

With that said. I wash & Dry in sections. I even flat iron most of the length and ends before taking the sections down to smooth the whole shaft.

I feel my hair is healthier as a result of avoiding heat this way.

Last edited by Ivonnovi; 06-09-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:59 PM
ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ

Thanked 3,064 Times in 638 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 32 Thread(s)

i had to stop air drying before flatironing. it was ruining my ends, and i noticed more breakage when i did that. now i rollerset and just flatiron my roots. my hair likes that much better. i'm still afraid of the blowdryer but i'm thinking of getting one because i don't want to do rollersets all the time. i'm too impatient lol.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:20 PM

Thanked 6,213 Times in 989 Posts
Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 36 Thread(s)

When I flat iron this is what I do, but it's mainly cause I'm lazy, lol. I put the blow dryer down 2 years ago and I haven't use it since. My hair dries faster hanging straight down.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

To everyone who has posted: what heat protectant are you using? Sabino?
Old 06-09-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulie View Post
fantasia ic

Old 06-09-2009, 07:47 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulie View Post
Chi Silk Infusion
Old 06-09-2009, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shtow View Post
Hmmm I have read on here some people say your hair will be dry because your hair preserves the most moisture on wash day. But I'm thinking that since my hair takes forever to dry, it will be more moisturized the next day in comparison to blow drying. Did your hair still feel moisturized, and for how many days?

And thank you on the purdy comment . I love your infiniti bun and new color! Wish I could bun like that! Im so lazy I rock the clear girl buns I just throw the hair up any ol' kind of way! I have not tried the reconstructor yet. Is it still working for you? I was scared it was gona do me like Kenra MC does me and work sometimes and just sit there other times. I surprisingly haven't tried any new products in hot minute (=a month on LHCF), Im too busy eying that PM flat iron
You betta go get that flat iron! Lol!
Old 06-09-2009, 07:55 PM

Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

When I flat-iron I co-wash my hair in the morning and part my hair in the middle and put it in two pigtails and then braid. I usually do this on Saturday. Then I do all my chores and errands. If it's Summer/Spring I will also sit in the backyard with my dogs and read a book and it will dry in a couple hours. If not it's usually dry around 7pm-8pm. Then I will flat iron. I will only use one heat source on my hair. Following that method has kept my hair healthy. Also, since I've gotten it healthy (basically since I've been natural), straighten only a few times a year and only use the ceramic ionic flat-iron I don't use any heat protectant, styler or shine/sheen product. It will look like I used something but, I didn't. I love it. I always had to use a serum or pommade to get shine when I was relaxed.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *CoCoChanel* View Post
You betta go get that flat iron! Lol!

Girl best believe by the end of next month you will have a full review. I expect one from you too!