Do you blow dry, rollerset, or air dry before you flat iron?

Do you blow dry, rollerset, or air dry before you flat iron?

• air dry

Votes: 97 38.6%
  • blow dry

Votes: 97 38.6%
  • rollerset

Votes: 57 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SleepyJean

I can not air dry before I flat iron! I just can't, but I don't know what to do. Last week, I flat ironed my hair. This was my first time since late May, and I attempted to air dry before I flat ironed. My hair was sooo tangly. I don't think air drying is the thing for me. I just don't know how to pre treat my hair before I flat iron. I don't want to blow dry. The only method that seems to work is rollersetting before....which is sad. I have not mastered that darn rollerset either, after numerous attempts. Frankly, I've given up on that. My hair always comes out really poofy after rollerset, but it comes out better than when I air dry. I'm going to let a professional do my rollerset next time. Perhaps she will yield results. Anyways...I don't know how to dry my hair before I flat iron. What do y'all do? I know I rambled a little bit, but I think you understand!

Finewine

I can not air dry before I flat iron! I just can't, but I don't know what to do. Last week, I flat ironed my hair. This was my first time since late May, and I attempted to air dry before I flat ironed. My hair was sooo tangly. I don't think air drying is the thing for me. I just don't know how to pre treat my hair before I flat iron. I don't want to blow dry. The only method that seems to work is rollersetting before....which is sad. I have not mastered that darn rollerset either, after numerous attempts. Frankly, I've given up on that. My hair always comes out really poofy after rollerset, but it comes out better than when I air dry. I'm going to let a professional do my rollerset next time. Perhaps she will yield results. Anyways...I don't know how to dry my hair before I flat iron. What do y'all do? I know I rambled a little bit, but I think you understand!

i air dry before flat ironing,, unless I'm in a hurry (which is rare) and i'll air dry most of myhair, and blow dry the rest on low. I usually genlty comb my hair with a wide tooth comb and put in leave in conditioner and let it airdry. What's your problem with airdrying?

tapioca_pudding

How are you airdrying? Are you using a scarf to tie it down, etc? Or just letting it be free? If the latter, that's prolly why you're having trouble.

Try applying your products while your hair is wet, then putting a few braids (plaits) in your hair, covering with a scarf. Let it air dry that way. Once it's dry, go ahead and flat iron.

HTH!

NuMe2004

I used to air dry but have noticed that I get more bounce when I blow dry. Plus, it's just quicker that way.

Neith

I either:

Rollerset and airdry (that's usually what I do)
Twist and airdry
Rollerset and go under the dryer
Twist and go under the dryer

Try stretching your hair out in some fashion while it airdries... whether it be rollers, braids or twists!

SleepyJean

How are you airdrying? Are you using a scarf to tie it down, etc? Or just letting it be free? If the latter, that's prolly why you're having trouble.

Try applying your products while your hair is wet, then putting a few braids (plaits) in your hair, covering with a scarf. Let it air dry that way. Once it's dry, go ahead and flat iron.

HTH!

I did the scarf method and got tangles. I air dried in five plaits and also got plaits. I guess...I'll try the three plaits next. Hopefully, I'll get it right. I will not flat iron tangles.

Pheonixx

Hmm...well I air-dry with no problems.

But I will try rollersetting and blow-drying as someone else said I think you get more bounce with it.
I have to buy a blow dryer though.

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
I airdry and then flat iron. I get tangles also, I just pick them apart w/ my fingers and then pull the hair taught as I flat iron so that I get it flat and smooth.

civic4800

The only method that seems to work is rollersetting before....which is sad. I have not mastered that darn rollerset either, after numerous attempts. Frankly, I've given up on that. My hair always comes out really poofy after rollerset, but it comes out better than when I air dry. I'm going to let a professional do my rollerset next time. Perhaps she will yield results. Anyways...I don't know how to dry my hair before I flat iron. What do y'all do? I know I rambled a little bit, but I think you understand!

I picked rollerset although that's not quite the truth. I couldn't master rollersetting so I've given up. So after rinsing out conditioner, I apply my magic potion, part my hair into 4 ponytails, roll each tail on a magnetic roller and seat under the pibbs. Once dry, I flatiron my hair. I'm 99% happy with this method. Every once in a while there's a few hairs that come out crinkly so I think I'll add the comb chase(??) method. HTH

Muffinz05

Before I flatiron I put a good leave-in, comb and then put 4-6 braids in my hair and let it airdry and then flatiron. I found this way better for me because I'm not damaging my hair as much but just flat ironing comparing to blowdrying and then flatironing.

I understand how you feel I airdried one time and my results wee similiar. My hair was a big tangly mess. I usually apply FHI Hot Sauce to my hair and blowdry before I flat iron.

TeeKay21

I think the plaits may be causing the problem for you. If your avatar is a pic of you, u have shorter hair like me.

I think us short-haired ladies need a different method. Whenever I air dry, I just put my products in while my hair is still damp, part my hair down the middle and detangle, then pull it back in a nice, smooth ponytail (with it still parted down the middle so it stays detangled, if that makes sense), and then tie it down flat with my scarf. When it was too short to put in a ponytail, I still pulled it back like I was doing a ponytail and put the scarf over the top of it.

I hope you get what I'm saying. I just think the plaits don't work for us because our hair doesn't have that weight to pull it down when it's in the plaits and we end up with just a fluffy nest on our heads.

I hope I made some sense, it seems so confusing when I type it out

Allandra

I sit under my Pibbs 514 (hooded dryer) with my hair in 4 or 3 ponytails (with a roller on the end of each ponytail. This helps me out a great deal since I'm transitioning.

The last time I did my hair (using this ponytail drying method), I didn't bother flat ironing my hair because my hair results were soft bouncy hair with lots of curls on the end. I wasn't about to flat iron it out.

Christina Dior

i know exactly what u mean and im relaxed its like once the water from the shower stops hittin my head her come tangles but i just started blowdrying with cool air with a wide tooth comb then bunning cuz im on a super relaxer stretch/ no heat challenge for a while

tapioca_pudding

I sit under my Pibbs 514 (hooded dryer) with my hair in 4 or 3 ponytails (with a roller on the end of each ponytail. This helps me out a great deal since I'm transitioning.

The last time I did my hair (using this ponytail drying method), I didn't bother flat ironing my hair because my hair results were soft bouncy hair with lots of curls on the end. I wasn't about to flat iron it out.
What products did you use? Did you wrap your hair afterwards?

Menina Preta

I rollerset and then flat iron the roots. The one time I tried flat ironing after air drying, my hair was popping every time I combed. I prefer to rollerset, so that way there is no direct heat on the length of my hair. It works better that way.

N

NaturalBeauty87

I usually rollerset and then get under the dryer but I think I will try airdrying to reduce the amount of heat I'm using.

Blessed_Angel

I voted for rollerset. When I did flat iron my hair, it was always after rollersetting. I wouldn't do that and blow dry; that would be too much heat.

naturalmanenyc

I flat ironed today after air drying overnight (pics in fotki). I use a maxglide though - with the teeth so it prevents me from flat ironing tangles. I also brush through each section first.

gesibelle2000

I am a newbie and I have blowdried for so long. after reading these boards it seems as if it I whould be airdrying.

wow, so much to learn!

SleepyJean

I am a newbie and I have blowdried for so long. after reading these boards it seems as if it I whould be airdrying.

wow, so much to learn!

Your going to learn so much more!

I flat ironed today after air drying overnight (pics in fotki). I use a maxglide though - with the teeth so it prevents me from flat ironing tangles. I also brush through each section first.

I never thought the teeth of maxiglide would actually detangle?Does it detangle that well?