What kind of flat iron does everyone use?

NewYorkgyrl

I just went to sally's this morning and saw that the ion flat iron cost about $99. I was just wondering what kind of flat iron is everyone using and what is your regimen when using it. Do you air dry first, blow dry ........ /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Nyambura

surfer girl
I have a Jilbere ceramic flat iron. I bought it a few years ago, so I don't remember the exact price, but I thought it was closer to $49. I air dry my hair first or I rollerset and then only flat iron the roots. oh- and don't forget the heat protectant! HTH!

Desert Skye

I use a FHI. Cost me 80 on ebay. I used to blow dry it then flat iron but now I rollerset my hair then flat iron it.

PrettyBrownEyes

Jilbere Ceramic Flat Iron, It's 1" and it has a dial to change the temperature. I like the 1" side because I can get the roots and maneuver better with this size.

I blow-dry first for the best results.

SVT

Wigo but I haven't used it on all of my hair yet.

I air dry or blow dry on cold.

jd_bdfly

I have Jilbere too. It works well, though sometimes strands get caught on the corners of the plate. I only use it once a month or so.

keni5

jd_bdfly,

Does it change the texture of your hair permanently at all. Also how do you prepare your hair for the straightening? Im considering purchasing a ceramic iron for occasional use.
thanx,
tiffany

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Earlier in 2004, I bought Conair® "Shiny Stylers" 4-in-1 Plated System

I only used it a few times and did not like it. It was the first time I ever used a flat iron. I don't think I'll ever use a flat iron again. Maybe because I don't know how to use one. Well one time, I let my friend flat iron my hair once with a Gold 'n Hot flat iron and it came out allright. But I felt like it was torture on my hair. I don't think I'll use one again because they seem very damaging to my hair...all that direct heat applied over and over just to get it straight and the way you want it. /images/graemlins/nono.gif

brownstallion

life ain't easy!!
I have a helen of troy ceramic

Poohbear u mentioned that the flatiron is damaging cause the direct heat over and over well I go over my hair once every two weeks when I do flatiron and I used It for most of my life and it didn't damage my hair. I also deep contioned my hair every time I got it wet. I think If you put diect heat on ur hair often It's not good.

I think If you had a hair dresser or someone who is the bomb with it you'll like it! Give it a try some day gurl!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PrettyBrownEyes

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Earlier in 2004, I bought Conair® "Shiny Stylers" 4-in-1 Plated System

I only used it a few times and did not like it. It was the first time I ever used a flat iron. I don't think I'll ever use a flat iron again. Maybe because I don't know how to use one. Well one time, I let my friend flat iron my hair once with a Gold 'n Hot flat iron and it came out allright. But I felt like it was torture on my hair. I don't think I'll use one again because they seem very damaging to my hair...all that direct heat applied over and over just to get it straight and the way you want it. /images/graemlins/nono.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Poohbear,

I think you should try another flat iron before you write them off. Maybe try one of the ones mentioned in this thread. Of course if you try, use it in moderation as you already know. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

inthepink

I have a Jilbere Porcelain Ceramic 1 inch flat iron. I've only used it a few times but I think it works pretty well. I paid $40 for it at Sally's.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
I have a Jilbere Porcelain Ceramic 1 inch flat iron. I've only used it a few times but I think it works pretty well. I paid $40 for it at Sally's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto! I've been using mine once/week for the past 6 weeks or so. I use New Image Damage Free as a thermal protectant. I don't know what I will use once it's gone since they don't make it anymore. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
PrettyBrownEyes said:

Poohbear,

I think you should try another flat iron before you write them off. Maybe try one of the ones mentioned in this thread. Of course if you try, use it in moderation as you already know. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If I decide to use heat again, I may invest in a Jibere flat iron.

laketta

I use my maxiglide iron. I like the fact that it has a device on it that puts moisture in your hair as you are ironing it by using steam. /images/graemlins/smile.gif It doesn't feel dry when you are done ironing it.

KinksnCurlz

at the referral of ms. waistlength herself Allandra, i have the jilbere as well. I believe i have the 1" and i too love the dial /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dolce_Dawn

It's supposed to be. I didn't like it as a heat protectant so I use it to put shine on afterwards. I use Paul Mitchell's Skinny serum.

jellynote

Solia Cermaic Ion Flat Iron and I only use it twice a month along with my Andis Ion Cermaic Blowdryer. I use Smooth Down Heat Glide as my heat protectant. I love the results when I use them.

caress

Hot Tools® Professional 1-1/2" SoftHeat Ceramic Flat Iron with gentle infrared heat

Ceramic plates preserve moisture, eliminates frizz, no damaging hot spots, are easy to clean and also inhibit bacteria and odor buildup

Professional Features:
* 1-1/2" plates straighten hair of any length
* Rounder plate edges to curl hair under or flip it out
* Creates glossy shine in any type or texture of hair
* 170 watts of power for fast heat up and instant heat recovery
* Slim European design, easy to handle
* Variable heat settings
* On / off switch
* Pilot light
* 8-ft. power cord

My only problem with it is that the cord curls up on itself all the time.