Do you blow dry, rollerset, or air dry before you flat iron?

Do you blow dry, rollerset, or air dry before you flat iron?

• air dry

Votes: 97 38.6%
  • blow dry

Votes: 97 38.6%
  • rollerset

Votes: 57 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blackpearl81

air dry and flat iron....I use to have the same problem with airdrying before I started detangling in the shower and applying a generous amount of leave-in....it also helps to clip the hair up while it dries...my hair is in wayyyy better condition since breaking up with my blow-dryer:yep:

Last edited:

henna555

I can not air dry before I flat iron! I just can't, but I don't know what to do. Last week, I flat ironed my hair. This was my first time since late May, and I attempted to air dry before I flat ironed. My hair was sooo tangly. I don't think air drying is the thing for me. I just don't know how to pre treat my hair before I flat iron. I don't want to blow dry. The only method that seems to work is rollersetting before....which is sad. I have not mastered that darn rollerset either, after numerous attempts. Frankly, I've given up on that. My hair always comes out really poofy after rollerset, but it comes out better than when I air dry. I'm going to let a professional do my rollerset next time. Perhaps she will yield results. Anyways...I don't know how to dry my hair before I flat iron. What do y'all do? I know I rambled a little bit, but I think you understand!

i always get better results when i rollerset first. then flat iron and i have less breakage.

charmtreese

I flatiron after I rollerset and I only flatiron the NG (if there is any present). Rollerstting alone gets my relaxed ends straight.

cookie1

Whether I blow dry or air dry depends on the product I decide to use and/or how many weeks post relaxer I am. I've been on a protective style kick- trying not to flatiron my hair. If i air dry with products like profectiv or ORS flatironing goes well. If I airdry with anything else I get unmanageable hair. When I blowdry my hair flatironing is even better.

ccd

I've done both roller set then FI and airdry then FI...... It depends on how I feel mostly but if I roller set, I find it easier to blow the roots out with a blowdryer, so I don't do this as much

The air dry/FI method is quick different but my hair repels humidity and lasts a long time. I prefer doing it this way especially in this weather ( humid, sticky, rainy possibility) my hair holds up better but is very straight so..... I have to want that look ...I'm actually going to do it tonight....airdrying all day

I love this product I use ,Hask liquid gel; it straightens my hair REALLY well. right now, I bunned all day and the front is straight, mid and ends are wavier cause I let them out while doing errands.... ANY way.....those with tangles when you airdry, you could use something like this leave in.

ccd

This is it.

DarkHair

I usually either rollerset and sit under the dryer, or rollerset and airdry before I flat iron...or I don't flat iron afterward.

shae101s

I usually do a combo:
Air dry for about 50%, then blow dry the damp hair, after that flat iron..and before I blow dry I make sure to add heat protection. hth

Diva_Esq

I blowdry then flat iron for sleeker results.

If I airdry, my hair is pulled tight and straight into a bun and then once that is about 80% dry, I blow dry the rest and flat iron.

I use heat protectant and don't do it often, so I don't have any damage.

camilla

I rinse put leave in, chi silk infusion then comb straight down with part in the middle or side and sit under a hooded dryer for lke 30 min then air dry the rest of the way OR comb down air dry only try using a creamy leave in it helps with slip ALOT then seal with serum OR wet wrap with a curler in the top IT ALL DEPENDS on how much time you have. hth

camilla

air dry and flat iron....I use to have the same problem with airdrying before I started detangling in the shower and applying a generous amount of leave-in....it also helps to clip the hair up while it dries...my hair is in wayyyy better condition since breaking up with my blow-dryer:yep:

you aint never lied mine too:grin:

camilla

for me...rollersetting first allows me to use less manipulation and pulling of my hair under a more gentle and consistent heat setting when drying. It also gives my hair more bounce and softer, springier, shinier curls/hair than blowdrying does. rollersetting takes me 20 min to set and 50m to dry and blow drying takes me 30m. So, I add 40 min for softer, shinier hair. It's worth it to me and I don't consider it a waste.

If I want it straight I flat iron the whole hair with a real quick pass on the ends to smooth out curls. Doesn't take much heat or effort at all since the hair is already smooth via the curl. (My avi is 22 week post relaxer 4a-ish hair where I opted to flat iron from root to tip after a rollerset.)

Most times I only flat iron roots (I'm 22 weeks post relaxer) and leave the curls in the ends so I have lots of body, movement and full curls. It just depends on how you like your hair and what works best for it. Dif people have dif techniques that work best for their hair:yep:

l do the same when i am well onto my stretch Even when i get a DB i do not let then blow down the shaft JUST the root then wrap

Amcd

I learned to avoid tangles while airdrying you have to put product in your hair while wet. I air dried yesterday just letting my hair hang loose. After washing and deep conditioning I put in Neutrogena Triple Moisture silk touch leave in cream, then I put in Neutrogena Triple Moisture Smooth Shine Anti-Frizz Cream. I followed that with Jane Carter Nourish and Shine.

After my hair was dry, I parted it down the middle and put on some Sizta 2 Sizta Amazing hair oil, put my hair in 2 bantu knots and put on my satin bonnet and went to bed. This morning I had really soft and shiny waves. I fingered combed them out added a little more Amazing Hair oil and went on my way.

Next week I will do the same thing, except when it is dry I will flat iron with my new Maxi Glide.

MsMontoute

Hi Ladies,
I am definitely in the mesh roller set and air dry camp. I love it because I find that my hair is much softer and healthier from not taking that extra heat drying step. The only time that I roller set and get under the dryer is if I wash my hair during the day and have to go out. Normally, I wash and the DC my hair in the evening, apply a cream/oil, rollerset and then go to bed. My hair is completely dry by morning. Even when I have new growth (which is common because I am stretching to 10 weeks now in between relaxers) it lays flat because I am putting the rollers in snug.

Now with that said, I am noticing that my hair from root all the way down to the last 1/4 in is smooth and fab. But the very bottom of the ends are just not as smooth and I mean the very very tip of my hair. I am thinking that I need to give myself a quick trim anyway because it has been months and the hair seems a little uneven. But any recommendations for smoothing out the very ends of my hair.

Thanks girls :)

aquajoyice

I like the results of my flat iron after air drying. Since the heat robs my hair of moisture air drying helps me to retain some moisture and my hair has more body and is shinier. I don't have my hair out when I air dry bI usually have it in a braid or a bun. Once majority is dry I take it out and let it dry a little more then flat iron. It reduces frizz.

I've blow dried and flat ironed but noticed my ends were really dry afterwards.

Rollersetting afterwards seemed silly to me to put in that much work only to flat iron in the end anyway. So I've only done that once. And the results were okay, but not better than when I air dry.