GROW YOUR CROWN CHALLENGE

HeChangedMyName

How are you all doing? I'm not doing well. The best I've been doing is keeping my hair in a pony which may or may not be good for my hair. I have so much going on right now. I have to do better. Soon. before my crown starts breaking badly again.

What length is your crown right now?
don't really know... random lengths from demarcation breakage

What is your problem? Dryness, Thin strands, scalp issues, brittle hair, sparse hair
all of the above :blush:

What are you going to be doing to fix your problem?
well, i'm in a sew in right now, so i'm just keeping that area well moisturized

What products do you plan on using?
under the sew in i'm using JBCO and surge 14 and moisturizing with scurl.

grow

Ok, so this is one Challenge that I am doing and I know others suffer from crown issues so I thought I could start the Challenge.

GREAT IDEA! I'D LOVE TO JOIN!

What length is your crown right now? about 6 inches
What is your problem? Dryness, Thin strands, scalp issues, brittle hair, sparse hair:
the hair at my crown is thinner but it's also more coarse.
i'm massaging daily, using castor oil, amla oil and cayenne pepper oil, i'm dc-ing more regularly, i'm eating a raw egg a day (yes, raw) with my fresh fruit and veggie drinks.
i just got some phyto in the mail today, i'm gonna use the 7 plant extract daily moisturizer, and the deep conditioning mask.
also, amla, brahmi, shikakai washes and acv, rosemary, and horsetail tea rinses.

could someone please explain something about the horseradish treatment? i've never heard of that one.....thanks!

HeChangedMyName

Alright ladies. I'm back on the wagon. class came in like a typhoon and kicked my booty. I wasn't ready.

I'm gonna massage with my sulfur mix and then moisturize with hawaiian silky 14 in 1 and grape seed oil, then I'm gonna baggy it up and go on to praise dance practice. I'm bound to break a sweat or conduct some type of heat under there.

butter_pecan

I would like to join this challenge. My hair is long, but my crown is my toughest (and shortest) area. I had a hairstylist butcher my hair when I was 18, plus she bleached the area blond :nono:. So I've been growing it out; since then, it has also become the coarsest part of my hair.

Note: It's taken me almost five years to get it from neck length to its current length :(

Shoulder-length to almost bra strap-length
What is your problem? Dryness, Thin strands, scalp issues, brittle hair, sparse hair
Very dry, lots of split ends, coarse, itchy scalp.
Applying extra conditioner, babying the area. Applying extra oil/moisturizer. Using Neem oil/olive oil mixture on the area. Loose bunning to keep stress off of it. Alternating between heat/no heat time periods to give it a rest. Keeping it detangled.
Olive Oil/Neem Oil, my usual DCs. Still open to product suggestions!

Last edited:

mstar

Luxury bacon
What length is your crown right now? About 7 inches, but I have a broken-off spot that's 1.75 inches! :blush: :nono: Also many individual broken hairs in my crown that become fly-aways when I straighten.

What is your problem? The broken-off spot is coarse and rough-feeling. Plus, having a 2-inch plug of broken hair sticking out of the top of my head is not cute. :nono:

What are you going to be doing to fix your problem? I got a BKT to help strengthen and protect my fine hair. Also massaging with either BT or Afroveda Hibiscus oil with MSM every other night. I'm going to keep this area well-moisturized.
What products do you plan on using? Boundless Tresses, Afroveda Hibisus Hair Oil, JBCO, my homemade moisture spray with essential oils, Komaza moisturizers.

I might consider using MT, but I don't want to risk protein overload, since I have a BKT.

My crown goes bald to and the only thing that works is to go natural, everytime I quit using the relaxers, my crown fills in so fast, You would think I would stop relaxing all together, Which I am, because that spot is so tender and sensitive, I tried every potion on the market, but realized it was the relaxers, So I am really gonna try to rid my addiction to relaxers to save my crown, because I don't want to get old and have a big bald spot.
Hi SignatureBeauty, I wanted to suggest maybe looking into BKT in lieu of relaxers. The keratin treatment got my hair pretty straight, and it didn't cause any damage. I've found it to be a really awesome product. :yep:

grow

What length is your crown right now? About 7 inches, but I have a broken-off spot that's 1.75 inches! :blush: :nono: Also many individual broken hairs in my crown that become fly-aways when I straighten.

What is your problem? The broken-off spot is coarse and rough-feeling. Plus, having a 2-inch plug of broken hair sticking out of the top of my head is not cute. :nono:

What are you going to be doing to fix your problem? I got a BKT to help strengthen and protect my fine hair. Also massaging with either BT or Afroveda Hibiscus oil with MSM every other night. I'm going to keep this area well-moisturized.
What products do you plan on using? Boundless Tresses, Afroveda Hibisus Hair Oil, JBCO, my homemade moisture spray with essential oils, Komaza moisturizers.

I might consider using MT, but I don't want to risk protein overload, since I have a BKT.

Hi SignatureBeauty, I wanted to suggest maybe looking into BKT in lieu of relaxers. The keratin treatment got my hair pretty straight, and it didn't cause any damage. I've found it to be a really awesome product. :yep:

hi Mstar, when you speak of a homemade moisture spray, what is in it?
i love making homemade goodies, so any hints would be much appreciated!
thanks!

mstar

Luxury bacon
hi Mstar, when you speak of a homemade moisture spray, what is in it?
i love making homemade goodies, so any hints would be much appreciated!
thanks!
Hi grow, my moisture spray contains (in order of concentration):

Aloe juice
Rosewater
Lilypad Protein Hair Mist
Vegetable glycerin
Rosemary EO
Lavender EO

I keep it in the refrigerator, in a spray bottle. I love it. :love:

ETA: I leave out the glycerin when the weather is really dry.

dimechiq

What length is your crown right now? IDK but I will chk and return.

What is your problem? Thinning/sparseness, Breakage, and yes some thin strands that looks like feathers(?)

What are you going to be doing to fix your problem? Protein more often, moisturize nightly, cover while drying, relax last, taking iron pills, cooking with cast iron skillet

What products do you plan on using? Reg protein and moisturizing conditioners

grow

i've been putting castor oil on my crown and yes, it is growing!
(little by little...)

BillsBackerz67

I should join this. My crown is not breaking but its a lot shorter than the rest of my hair. Im thinking I may have a vitamin deficiency or something :(

MsSonya

Still 'moisturizing' with MN,castor oil, and MT. Don't know if its working yet. But my scalp is sore in that area sometimes, hope that's a good thing....:perplexed

MsCounsel

Did I join this? Ugh I can't keep up. I'm joining. Started using castor oil last week. Will also create concoction that I will use later this week. Crown is brittle and awful feeling. It's like I have two types of hair. Right now it is 4 inches long. This is a vast improvement over the last year and I thank Chlorella for it. So I'm in!

Aviah

Ok, so this is one Challenge that I am doing and I know others suffer from crown issues so I thought I could start the Challenge.

OOH! ME!
Crown is SL (Back of head 1-2 inches from BSL, Front CBL) its the shortest part of my hair.

It seems the most breakage prone, the kinkiest, Maybe the dryest part of my head? Funny enough its the thickest.

I plan to braid it up, be gentle and MN it till it catches up.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
What length is your crown right now? 5" I've had crown issues since teen yrs!!

What is your problem? Its was overprocessed, dryness, brittle hair, lacking moisture

Keeping the area well moisrurized and keeping hair in the crown braided or twisted and sealing the ends. I will try to do this until my next relaxer touch-up at the end of April.

I will be using mostly NTM leave- in condish, ORS Hair fertilizer and ORS Fertilizing Serum on that area every other day for moisture/growth and also combing upwards instead of downwards into the longer portions of my hair. Regular co-washes and sleepy with satin bonnet at night.

HeChangedMyName

i haven't been posting, but i've been working on the crown. I can say that combing it upward is really helping. I'm two months post relaxer now and I can usually feel the cushiony hair all over, but the crown still feels thin and flat. It's actually cushiony. yayyy. it's growing

HeChangedMyName

My scalp is sore in that area!! I hope that's growth.

mine use to get like that when it was time to relax(when i was addicted to relaxing EVERY six weeks) But oddly enough, it's not sore now at all. I wonder what really is the cause

Still 'moisturizing' with MN,castor oil, and MT. Don't know if its working yet. But my scalp is sore in that area sometimes, hope that's a good thing....:perplexed

are you rubbing it hard when you moisterize? how far post relaxer are you? Have you tried combing that area in an upward motion?

I should join this. My crown is not breaking but its a lot shorter than the rest of my hair. Im thinking I may have a vitamin deficiency or something :(

I wonder if it could be a vitamin or some other deficiency that is the root cause. Seems that the crown is a trouble spot for many of us and not all of us have the same hair.

hair4romheaven

HeChangedMyName I haven't had a relaxer in about 6.5 mnths I am very gentle with that area and massage it. I have cornrows and haven't combed my hair in like 3 weeks I plan on taking it down in about 3 weeks.
I'm hoping it's a sign of hair trying to come through those follicles that weren't as "active" before I started my guerilla regimen. LOL

HeChangedMyName

HeChangedMyName I haven't had a relaxer in about 6.5 mnths I am very gentle with that area and massage it. I have cornrows and haven't combed my hair in like 3 weeks I plan on taking it down in about 3 weeks.
I'm hoping it's a sign of hair trying to come through those follicles that weren't as "active" before I started my guerilla regimen. LOL

ok, that may be it then. good luck. are you going to relax when you take them down or are you transitioning?

hair4romheaven

I am going back and forth with texlaxed and natural. I just know I dont want bone straight relaxed hair which was a part of my huge set back.

NIN4eva

Hey Ladies, I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but I've read that the the top of our heads being slammed by water from the shower head on a regular basis can wreak havok on the crown area.

Here is my update. Avatar was November 09. My crown area is very dry and brittle but it feels less brittle since I discovered lhcf
ETA - im 9 weeks post and plan to stay relaxer free for 6 months while i decide if i'll transition or not,

Attachments

• S1050047lhcf.jpg
    S1050047lhcf.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 48

MissLawyerLady

Checking in...

I had to let the M.O.M. go- too heavy for my hair. Right now I haven't had a lot of crown itching, so I haven't been paying special attention to that area on a daily basis, but I am applying a lot of DC to the crown area on wash days.

MsCounsel

I received my oils on Wednesday. Relaxed on Monday and I have a little scalp irritation. Applying vegetable glycerine/aloe vera juice spritz daily to scalp. Made a mix of rosemary, peppermint, cedarwood, lavender w/hemp & castor oil base to massage into scalp for growth.

dimechiq

Checking in
- oiling crown scalp with Groganics Ice Oil.
- Low manip of crown
- Special attn when moisturizing ends

I think it may be falling out lesser in this area. NOt sure. Plus I haven't been consistent. Relaxed instead of texlaxed. But the area just above this is falling out more.

I will
- Use Ice Oil consistently
- Moisterize ends consistently
- Count hairs to monitor

Will try to report back every week

UPDATE JULY 12, 2010: Groganics didn't stop the hair fall out. So, I'm doing the
Saw Palmetto internally
Iron
oil ends
LEAVE ALONE TAKE YOUR ANDS OUT OF IT.

Last edited: