Crown and Glory...

P

patient1

Thanks Beyond and Neroli!

The yaki pony hair I used was blinging OUT OF CONTROL!! I couldn't take it!! I love the matte look. It makes the braids look very natural. I might have to try that particular brand of hair OR try spraying the hair with acv to see what happens.

I'm addicted to the ease of kinky twists (easy in, easy out!) but I love the look of braids, especially when they're braided down to the ends. I was thinking of keeping these twists on for a very long time BUT I'm getting bored with 'em.

p1

Keen

beyondcute said:
Okay I lied and I must apologize the hair I used is by Sensationnel, its called "braid too". Its 100% synthetic hair but it is NOT kanekalon. Its not shiny at all.

Beyondcute, what do you do to your ends? do you burn them or what?

Robin41

Neroli, do you have any pics of your braids? Are you braiding all the way to the ends and then just leaving it or do you have to dip the ends in hot water to keep them from unraveling? I'm a little confused and I've never used pony hair for braids. I've used kanekalon and I know the ends stay put once dipped but I was wondering if the pony hair stays braided without doing anything to the ends.

Thanks!

Neroli

Robin41 said:
Neroli, do you have any pics of your braids? Are you braiding all the way to the ends and then just leaving it or do you have to dip the ends in hot water to keep them from unraveling? I'm a little confused and I've never used pony hair for braids. I've used kanekalon and I know the ends stay put once dipped but I was wondering if the pony hair stays braided without doing anything to the ends.

Thanks!

Hi Robin - I don't own a digital and I have a strong aversion to having my image posted on the internet (*big brother* already got enough info on me) LOL!

I braid as far down as the length of my own hair and then let the ends hang loose without doing anything else. I use yaki hair specifically because I avoid the extra work in "finishing" my braids by dipping in hot water. Back in the day, I use dip in boiling water and cut, but the yaki falls and curls beautifully and looks natural without the extra work.

My hair is at brastrap so the braided portion is pretty long. For ladies with short hair or who don't know how to maintain the braids themselves, yaki pony may need extra finishing to hold, like tying/knotting or dipping at some point after length of hair has been braided. I hope this makes sense . . .

Robin41

Yep, Neroli, that made perfect sense. My hair is just past shoulder length so I think I'll braid a little bit past that and let the rest hang loose. Thanks so much for your help!

auntybe

I am getting my relaxer and my ends dusted this weekend. I am nor sure if I am getting a sew-in or braids w/ quickweave or braid with a phoney pony. I have lots of new growth. I am really going to try my besdt to stick witht this for 2 years. I getting more focused again on taking care my hair and my body since this challenge.

zzirvingj

I know I'm really late with this, but COUNT ME IN! Just got individuals last week at an African Braid shop. It looks cute, but it's too heavy. I wouldn't recommend them. Then again, I've never been to the same African Braid shop twice cause I've never been "that" pleased all around with the results. I'll probably get cornrows next time around cuz I work 2 full time jobs and don't have the time to sit in a chair for 8 hours again.

I will post pics of the braids soon. But what I wanna know is, is there anyone who DOESN'T plan on redoing the perimeter of their hair? It's a great idea but every 2 weeks sounds really time consuming to me... :ohwell:

P

patient1

Update: I washed with HerbNLife Royal Rinse, deep conditioned with New Era Reconstructor mixed with New Era Deep conditioner mixed with Shea Cholesterol.

Braids were falling out left and right, but I didn't care. All said I lost about 20. I was overdue for a wash/condition. Afterwards I sprayed with HerbnLife Head sprung and oiled with Wild Growth Oil. My hair feels renewed so I'm feeling recommitted to the challenge. I got a bunch of Indian Oils this weekend and I plan to get a container and make a mix of them to use over the next few weeks. I also got a new bottle of msm pills but more for the skin benefits. Cantbecopied has a thread on looking 15 years younger!~

I rebraided the perimeter (where most of the braids fell out) I'll worry about the missing ones in the middle sections tonight. For the most part these kinky twists are holding up well so I'm going to stick with them. During spring break I might switch over to individual braids, I'm not sure yet.

p1

beyondcute

patient1 said:
Update: I washed with HerbNLife Royal Rinse, deep conditioned with New Era Reconstructor mixed with New Era Deep conditioner mixed with Shea Cholesterol.

Braids were falling out left and right, but I didn't care. All said I lost about 20. I was overdue for a wash/condition. Afterwards I sprayed with HerbnLife Head sprung and oiled with Wild Growth Oil. My hair feels renewed so I'm feeling recommitted to the challenge. I got a bunch of Indian Oils this weekend and I plan to get a container and make a mix of them to use over the next few weeks. I also got a new bottle of msm pills but more for the skin benefits. Cantbecopied has a thread on looking 15 years younger!~

I rebraided the perimeter (where most of the braids fell out) I'll worry about the missing ones in the middle sections tonight. For the most part these kinky twists are holding up well so I'm going to stick with them. During spring break I might switch over to individual braids, I'm not sure yet.

p1
Your braids are falling out? WHat kind of braids do you have? Is it takign your hair out with it?

P

patient1

I have kinky twists. My hair isn't falling out. When I washed and conditioned the weight of the water and products led to some of the extensions falling out. My hair is short and I braid pretty loosely. Plus the hair around my perimeter is finer than in other sections so I'm always experiencing slippage. It's cool. I just throw em back in and keep it movin'! The braid individuals don't have these kinds of issues. I could probably braid the twists a little further down before twisting, but that looks a bit off.

p1

beyondcute

Oh Good! Cuz I was bout to say the heck with this and take mines out! :lol: But my twists slipped out the first tiem I did them. Now I just braid down about and inch rath than twist the extentions on. I need to post pics for Mrch cuz my braids are growing out :) half an inch so far :D

Robin41

I finally put my braids in this weekend so I'm definitely in the challenge. I used synthetic wet & wavy hair (I never even knew there was such a thing) and kept the braids really long but I used big boxes. I've only got about 50 braids total and I love the look. The hair is very soft, not too shiny and very wavy so I left the ends loose. I love it! (Robin pats herself on the back)

I combined some Infusium 23 and braid spray in a spray bottle and spray my braids every day, which seems to keep them moist so far. Is anybody shampooing every day like Robin suggests? I'm thinking I'm only shampooing on the weekends because longer braids take sooooooo long to dry. I don't have time for that every day.

Sincerely_Ciara

How often do you ladies wash ur braids? I am half way finish with my hair, when I am done when should I wash? What are the overall products do you use during the time you wear braids? I'm sorry for all the questions and I'm pretty sure my answers are right in front of me but my computer is extra slow and it would take all day to find em.

Thanks, Ciara

prettykinks

I rinse my braids right after I finish putting them in so they can lay better and not be so stiff. Then I wash my braids every week.

TwistNMx

beyondcute said:
Oh Good! Cuz I was bout to say the heck with this and take mines out! :lol: But my twists slipped out the first tiem I did them. Now I just braid down about and inch rath than twist the extentions on. I need to post pics for Mrch cuz my braids are growing out :) half an inch so far :D
I for one will be waiting for those pictures. :yep:

cece22

I am still on right now I have a sew in weave with a little out in the top. Since I didn't use my beloved remy hair I will be cleaning my scalp with a q-tip and sea breeze. And oiling 3 times a week with homeade sulphur oil.

beyondcute

High Priestess said:
I for one will be waiting for those pictures. :yep:

Sorry camera is actign funny.. either that or its hte computer.. I have a feelign its the computer. I cant even upload my paper from my Ipod... But either way when Im done with finals Ill figure it out SOMEHOW and get those pics up. I just took my braids out yesterday. BUT before i toko them out I took pics of the new growth :) I got atleast 3/4 an inch minimum and 1 and 1/2 inches in the middle of my head. Im happy :)

kandegirl

Update:

I just took my weave out a week ago. My hair grew a lot but it was matted at the top.(wore the weave for 10 weeks) That has never happened before. I think it may have been from all the shampooing I did this time. My roommate said it was b/c of all the new growth I had. Either way I just thankful and blessed it became untangled. I used African Royale braid sheen and Sally's generic Paul Mitchell Detangler to get it undone. And a little prayer didn't hurt either. I just reconstructing and conditioning now. I'll get individual braids w/i the next few weeks. Right now I'm just wearing buns and ponytails.

Faith

I'm going back in braids tonight. Can't wait. It's like going home...lol

Plan is to wash weekly...I never used to do that in braids BUT I am loving washing 1x/week so I'll keep that up.
Also I will be using Den's stocking cap method. I will rebraid every 6-12 weeks. Depends what events I have coming up.

WaterMoccasin

Update: FINALLY got braids in for the first time this year on May 1st. (My original plan was IN: Jan-Feb, OUT: Mar-Apr).
They're micros I guess, so I'm a little scared about them (I didn't want them this small but the braider didn't quite understand when I told her I want the parts/sections big and I'm too wimpy to be really assertive about it). They're jet black and my hair's brown so I can easily see the difference, and the extensions are actually not that much longer than my own hair. In fact, I think the way it's done is kind of defeating the purpose of the protective hairstyle because each plait is only braided like halfway (give or take) so my hair is out too.
I plan to keep it in for 6 weeks but I'm usually sick of braids by the third week; but hopefully I can hold out until at least four weeks have passed. The fact that they're so tiny might actually discourage me from wanting to loose it sooner.

StartinOvah

i'm still wearing braids although they are mostly cornrows. right now i have cornrowed the front and wear the back in a high bun. i wear a phony pony around the bun. before, the back was braided in individuals but i didn't feel like it this time. i wanted something a little different. i still infusium and braid spray daily and wash weekly. i re-do the cornrows when i wash. i haven't checked the growth but i think she is doing better than when i washed every three days and wore my protective pony. could be the infusium, could be keeping my hands out of my hair.

cocoberry10

I'm in this challenge now. I've been in braids for almost 3 weeks now. I am going to make my own MTG (I still have some MTG left, but it stinks too bad).

Anyway, so far so good. Braids weren't too tight, and I think it may be growing. Not sure. I'm taking vitamins, MSM powder and trying to stick to my healthy diet. I probably won't leave the braids in longer than 6-7 weeks, if they even last that long. I really want the front of my hair to equalize in length, health and fullness as the back. I will have to get a trim by summer's end though, and I want it to grow a little more so I don't have to lose as much length.

WaterMoccasin

BahamaMama said:
Update: FINALLY got braids in for the first time this year on May 1st. (My original plan was IN: Jan-Feb, OUT: Mar-Apr).
They're micros I guess, so I'm a little scared about them (I didn't want them this small but the braider didn't quite understand when I told her I want the parts/sections big and I'm too wimpy to be really assertive about it). They're jet black and my hair's brown so I can easily see the difference, and the extensions are actually not that much longer than my own hair. In fact, I think the way it's done is kind of defeating the purpose of the protective hairstyle because each plait is only braided like halfway (give or take) so my hair is out too.
I plan to keep it in for 6 weeks but I'm usually sick of braids by the third week; but hopefully I can hold out until at least four weeks have passed. The fact that they're so tiny might actually discourage me from wanting to loose it sooner.

Well, took these out 5 weeks later (last Monday) and my hair HATED them.
Still trying to recover!
It was fine back when my hair was natural (and bigger parts) but boy oh boy what a disaster. Not sure if I'll be continuing; if I do, I'll put new, much bigger ones in in July. Big 'if.'

renae226

I am in on this challenge too. I am getting individual braids today. I have achieved a lot of growth in the past with braids from neck length to bra strap in a little over three months, but I never washed them and my hair would have so much build up and it would thin out. :mad: :(

plove

update for me
I have box-braids in my hair. I put them in in April and i will take them out in Nov
Jan will be a year of C&G

sareca

I've been doing one month on and one month off since September. I took them out 6 weeks ago. They are going back in tomorrow. I can't wait. I've had hand-in-hair disease so bad lately. It's been a long time since I've had this much (non-breaking, non-tangling) length I can't help but wanna play in it! :D

Last edited: