Crown and Glory...

Neroli

beyondcute said:
Im braided up again and hoping to keep mines in a.l.a.p. I got pixies this time (layered individual braids shaped as a wrap, pics will e in my fotki by Friday :) ) Lets Grow ladies! :) I think everyone shoudl have NO problems growing onthis challeneg. As for the deep conditioning I do deep condition but when I shampoo and condition I do not agitate the braids. I use watered down shampoo and conditioner in a squirt bottle. I saturate and then rinse.

Your braids (and you) look great!!

kandegirl

I'm in. Actually I've been in on the sidelines for a year. I'll modify the C&G method by using braids and weaves but everything else is the same. So far so good!!

rai

Checking in:
Got braids put in Dec 20. I'm in the process of taking them out. UGGGHH, this is what I hate about braids. I need to get them done bigger.

beyondcute

Yeah I liek medium sized braids and Im really enjoying the fact that my colored hair lets we know exactly where to cut that way I wont cut too long and be forever takign them out. Also cornrows are easy to take out.

LETS GROW LADIES!!! Im so excited for all of us!! WHOO HOO!!

P

patient1

I love your braids beyond!! The hair looks matte. Is that just the pic? They look very natural and I love the way they fall. What kind of hair was used?

I'm still in my tiny kinky twists. Can't be the nobrainedness that comes with extensions. It's definitely freeing up a lot of my time.

I'm getting ready to make an extra spritz for the job. I want to make sure my hair stays very moisturized. I've clipped my ends and I want to maintain the health.
p1

Suri

DEN1 : ur braids are gorgeous!

BEYOND: did you do those urself? :eek: they look good.

I am taking mine out in 2 weeks which will be (6 wks), my hair is has already grown an inch. I want to let someone else do them this time, but that's what I said last time.

cece22

Just had to come in and say happy growing :) everyone I will be braiding up in 2-weeks. I will use the curly toyakalon hair. I tried a sew in and didn't like it I took it out the very next day. Keep up the good work and keep the updates rolling. It is very encouraging to be on this challenge.

Beyond, your hair is very pretty- Grow on girl!

Den, your hair looks so soft- By the way I am breaking down and buying the sulphur powder cause of one of your posts, to get rid of that stinky MTG i'll save that for wash days.

Nanyanika

cece22 said:
Just had to come in and say happy growing :) everyone I will be braiding up in 2-weeks. I will use the curly toyakalon hair. I tried a sew in and didn't like it I took it out the very next day. Keep up the good work and keep the updates rolling. It is very encouraging to be on this challenge.

Beyond, your hair is very pretty- Grow on girl!

Den, your hair looks so soft- By the way I am breaking down and buying the sulphur powder cause of one of your posts, to get rid of that stinky MTG i'll save that for wash days.
Thanks Suri and cece22 for the compliment, Go ahead a getch ya sulfur, i'll sure you'll love it.

Lucia

I've been unofficially doing this now for the past 2 years and it works. Just make sure you moisterize daily, and when you take the braids down, trim the splits and deep contdition.
I've just had my hair down and deep conditioned this past week and it's going back up.
Longest part was Bottom of BSL pressed, now it's 1" passed BBSL stretched.

Last edited:

hrtbndr21

Hi ladies everybodys braids look great. But I need your HEEEEEELP!!! :perplexed

So I've had my hair in braids rotating sets for about 9 months. I use the Kanekalon hair the jumbo braid you get at Walgreens and stuff. I like the dipped ends look so that I can re-do the braids as needed. Anyway they look good for a couple of weeks then the ends kinda get this dreded tangled look to them. When I wear my hair up in a bun or twist with the ends free I've had a few people mistake them for dreds :mad: . I was forced to strongly correct them. :fishslap:
The only way I know to straigten the ends out is to blowdry with the comb attachment and then re-dip the ends. But that get's pretty tedious and I think it breaks down the sythetic hair I find a lot of stray broken pieces on my clothes and carpet at whatnot. Can anybody out there recomend another brand of Kanekalon or any other sythetic hair that looks natural. I tried this other brand of Kanekalon from a BSS it was too shiney and slick it didn't match my hair and it slipped out easily.

Suggestions please I want to stock up for my next set of braids in late March early April.

Neroli

Hrtbntr & Beyondcute: click back to page 15 for a full discussion of synthetic hair preferences. And just in case you don't feel like browsing, see a summary of my preferences:

My favorite and easiest to use and maintain is "yaki pony" which comes in variety of synthetics (kankenalon, toyokalon, etc.) I know Robin recommends kankenalon, but I've been using "twin pony brand" 100% toyokalon for over 6 years with superior results. I can wash and rebraid this hair over and over again (I used the same hair for almost 8 months the last time!) I also like yaki pony because the ends are slightly curled (and STAY curled, wash after wash) and I don't have to "finish" my braids -- I just braid down the length of my hair and let the "pony" ends hang loose and natural.

Yaki pony hair is my secret weapon for "natural" looking ends -- I'm always getting compliments and questions about what kind of hair I use from other braided ladies I see in the grocery stores, malls, etc. and I'm delighted to share that it's "yaki pony" made under various brands. The ends stay nice and slightly curled effortlessly all the time

TwistNMx

I put in the kankenalon synthetic hair for about 1 week. I had to take them out. It caused itching and scalp iritation...probably from scratching unconsciously.

Robin41

Is it too late to join? I've been considering going back to braids for a while now but I keep thinking of the negatives: itchy, flaky scalp (yuck), takes forever to dry, re-braiding edges every few weeks. I've visited Robin's site many times but never tried her C&G method, but I'm thinking of giving it a try.

Is everyone having success? Is everyone braiding their own hair or going to a braider? I like going to a braider but I seem to have the hardest time trying to explain "no, no, I want BIG parts with SMALL braids!" Everybody wants to give you a trillion big heavy braids and that's not what I want. I think I'll put in a few myself so she can see what I'm talking about.

Neroli, thanks for the tip about the yaki pony hair. I was wondering what kind of hair I want to use because I only like my ends to be left loose. I never burn or rubber band the ends. I wanted something slightly wavy and that sounds like just the thing.

Good luck and happy hair growing to everybody!

Phoenix

Robin41 said:
Is it too late to join? I've been considering going back to braids for a while now but I keep thinking of the negatives: itchy, flaky scalp (yuck), takes forever to dry, re-braiding edges every few weeks. I've visited Robin's site many times but never tried her C&G method, but I'm thinking of giving it a try.

Is everyone having success? Is everyone braiding their own hair or going to a braider? I like going to a braider but I seem to have the hardest time trying to explain "no, no, I want BIG parts with SMALL braids!" Everybody wants to give you a trillion big heavy braids and that's not what I want. I think I'll put in a few myself so she can see what I'm talking about.

Neroli, thanks for the tip about the yaki pony hair. I was wondering what kind of hair I want to use because I only like my ends to be left loose. I never burn or rubber band the ends. I wanted something slightly wavy and that sounds like just the thing.

Good luck and happy hair growing to everybody!

I hear you! After going to the same braider for over 5 years, I FINALLY got her to understand what I wanted. I had to break it down and tell her that I wanted her to braid big sections of my hair, but only use a little bit of extension. This way I don't have heavy extensions hanging onto little pieces of hair.

I have been having a lot of luck with braids (Senegalese Twists, actually). I've been wearing them since Oct. 2004 and in that time I've gone from chin length to 1 inch above armpit. Right now my hair is going through a growth spurt (I got a little bit over an inch last month) and if it keeps up at this rate, I will have reached brastrap by this summer!

I'm a big fan of C&G, but braids aren't for everyone. If you've had success with braids in the past I say go for it.

P

patient1

Bumping to ask Beyondcute what kind of hair she used?

I'm thinking of keeping my kinky twists in for awhile but might do individuals again. I like the matte look of the hair. I can't stand that extra shiny look that usually comes with synthetic hair. That was my only problem with the yaki pony hair I purchased one time. It was too shiny and fake looking!

Can that sort of finish be purchased or did you treat the hair to make it have that natural look?

TIA,
p1

prettykinks

Hello Everyone,
I would like to join in! I put individual braids in my hair three days ago. I am on day three of using MTG also. The vitamins I am currently using are MSM, Evening Primrose, and Flax seeds. Hopefully I will see some growth with this combination. I currently am unable to take any pics because I dropped my digicam. I need to get another one. Happy growing to everyone!

beyondcute

patient1 said:

I'm thinking of keeping my kinky twists in for awhile but might do individuals again. I like the matte look of the hair. I can't stand that extra shiny look that usually comes with synthetic hair. That was my only problem with the yaki pony hair I purchased one time. It was too shiny and fake looking!

Can that sort of finish be purchased or did you treat the hair to make it have that natural look?

TIA,
p1
What kinda hair she used for what? These braids? This is regular $0.89 kanekalon plastic or whatever you wanna clal it hair. Ill put the pic in my fotki in a how to folder. Give me a few minutes... I promised someone I would do this the other day and I forgot *please excuse my forgetful mind Im truly sorry :( *

NYCQT16

Natural Again
I did C&G and loved it. I did it for a few months and I felt my hair really thrived. I even liked playing in my new growth. Then my fav braider fell off the face of the earth and I got lazy :( . Since I see u r gonna do for about 2 years I'll end up jumping back on the C&G wagon...once I get enough new growth to put braids in :yep:

cocoberry10

I would like to join, but I won't get braids until May (my braider is African and won't be back until then). In the meantime, I could get a relaxer (I will have 12 weeks before she gets back, that should be enough time), especially since I had 2 underprocessed relaxers.

Cocoberry

Neroli

patient1 said:

TIA,
p1

I must confess I wasn't thrilled with the shiny look of the yaki brand of synthetic hair I use, but it *dulls* pretty quickly after I spray ACV pretreatment and most definitely looses that glossy sheen the more I wash my braids. I re-use the same hair over and over for this reason . . .once I put in the first batch, it's in for about 6 months, minimum . . .

I did find a cheaper, more *matte* looking yaki brand and I tried once but it didn't *hold* its slightly curl ends at all after the first couple of washes and started looking raggedity, not at all like the shiner brand . . .

beyondcute

Okay I lied and I must apologize the hair I used is by Sensationnel, its called "braid too". Its 100% synthetic hair but it is NOT kanekalon. Its not shiny at all.

Suri

beyondcute said:
Okay I lied and I must apologize the hair I used is by Sensationnel, its called "braid too". Its 100% synthetic hair but it is NOT kanekalon. Its not shiny at all.

I use Sensationnel too. I just picked up the first thing I saw. I am taking my braids out this weekend. Any suggestions for styles? I know I am gonna be back in braids in the next week but I am not sure what i want to do. Neroli where are you?
Maybe shorter braids, bigger, different color?