Sew-in Challenge 2014-2015 (6 months or 9 months)

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Okay so I finally did my sew in on Friday. Took me forever and a day bc I'm challenged when it comes to my own hair. Anyway here goes
Current length or starting pic:

ForumRunner_20140818_145644.jpg

Challenge goal:
My goal is to be APL by end of December.

Length of time commitment: (3 months, 6 months, 9 months)
6 months (may change it to 9 later)

Weave style/install hair:
Cheap beauty supply hair

ForumRunner_20140818_145754.jpg

ForumRunner_20140818_145802.jpg

ForumRunner_20140818_145913.jpg

ForumRunner_20140818_145919.jpg

Weave regimen:
Oil my scalp nightly with NJOY oil. Wash my scalp once per week and that's it.

Your top weave tip: (any insights you want to share if you've successfully retained length with weaves in the past)
I don't have any right now...

scarcity21

I'll join in the challenge! I've been in weaves almost 2 years back to back. I'm one of don't speak defeat's clients. I'm now fully natural and below shoulder length. I plan on wearing a weave at least 5 more months.

My regimen
Wash and deep condition 1x per week
Moisturize 3x per week

pearlygurl, when you say back to back, do you mean you do not take breaks inbetween weaving?

BFeathers

I've been weaved up continuously since mid April. My goal is to relax just before Thanksgiving so I'll be a full year stretched.

Current length or starting pic: I'll about 2 inches below my collarbone now. In April it was just grazing my collarbones in the front. It's definitely longer than it was in March I'll say that and it's thick as I don't know what!

Challenge goal: Just thick and healthy hair. It's growing and I'm retaining so all is good there

Length of time commitment: (3 months, 6 months, 9 months) -I've been weaved up since mid April so it'll be a 7 month total of continuous sew ins.

Weave style/install hair:
Full weave with closure

Weave regimen: Oil/moisturize daily with applicator bottle. Baby sides and edges with sulfur mix bobby pinning weave away from the oil in front. Wash twice a month

Your top weave tip: MOISTURIZE! Forget about the weave! Yes it's cute but it's not your hair. When you keep in mind that you want your hair to thrive and grow more than having a hands out of your hair, easy style then it will thrive like crazy.

I oil the mess out of my hair and keep it moving with baby powder to combat the oil and it doesn't ever look greasy. I will wash just the weave as to keep my braids underneath as moist as possible until my twice a month washes.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
HairPleezeGrow
Looks gorgeous!! Your edges look nice too. How did you place the tracks around the front?

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Thanks I really suck at doing my own hair so I'm going to have my sister in law fix it but I just did the back and forth fold over method until I got to the top and then began to sew around in a circle. It's not that nice in person believe me lol but that's okay I'm not going anywhere this week soooo yeah lol.

ikandi87

Ok so im back in. Im boiling my hair now and ill prbly install it the beginning of sept for a fresh start. I will update my op!

Smiley79

Checking in with my sew in...still going strong and taking care of my hair underneath and my edges too.

mshoneyfly

Checkin in!
Finally getting the hang of this virgin BSS hair :roll eyes:

I used a moisturizing DC I got from Marshalls and slathered it on slightly damp hair like I was moisturizing and left it in. Its got oat and some other kind of protein. I think that did a good job of filling in the obvious damage that causes the knots and tangles. Sunday night I straightened it and it stayed smooth; no knots and tangles. Monday night I put in some serum to keep it smooth.

Last night I pin curled it and it came out gorgeous. Now I have it in a ponytail bc it got a little frizzy. Next time I'll put some more serum on my fingers as I take down the pin curls.

Now for my REAL hair lol!
Making a moisturizing spray from scratch tonight now that its loosened up some. I'll try to keep it up only for another 5 weeks. This stuff I made back when I had yarn braids gave me soo much NG. Just have to remember to add something to seal the cuticle. Im thinking either henna powder or AVJ or both.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

ezina

Are you installing it yourself? Some stylists prefer completely straight hair to braid to better grip the hair but if your doing it at home you can stretch your hair anyway you like. sometimes use the ponytail method or a braidout but I usually blow dry to speed up the process.

I usually prep by washing with shampoo then a moderate to heavy protein treatment then conditioner/deep conditioner. Then add a leave in like aphogee green tea spray then lightly loc then heat protectant then blow dry to stretch. I usually dont moisturize for a few days (about 5) after that. HTH

Thanks! This is helpful. I'm getting a stylist to install it, and she's all about healthy hair underneath (she's natural herself). Dang it, I just blow dried my hair yesterday out of curiosity (I haven't used heat since my BC). I wish I hadn't because my appointment is in 2 weeks and I don't want to blow dry it again. I'll see if I can find somewhere (in Manhattan/NYC) that can roller set natural type 4 hair.

ezina

T-14 days til my sew-in! Can't wait. My first full sew-in ever! By this time in two weeks, it will be installed. Feeling giddy. :yep:

Xaragua

Thanks! This is helpful. I'm getting a stylist to install it, and she's all about healthy hair underneath (she's natural herself). Dang it, I just blow dried my hair yesterday out of curiosity (I haven't used heat since my BC). I wish I hadn't because my appointment is in 2 weeks and I don't want to blow dry it again. I'll see if I can find somewhere (in Manhattan/NYC) that can roller set natural type 4 hair.

Is Your stylist in NYC, is she taking new client? i would like to have an install also, but i cannot find a stylist that I can trust. If she is taking new client can you please let me know.

Thanks

Adonia1987

I love sew ins as protective styles. I have been doing them since January 2013 after I cut my natural hair to SL due to heat damage. I keep it for 12 weeks, and do a protein treatment with Dudley DRC 28. I wash it once a week and oil my scalp 2x with simplicity hair oil. I am going to keep this regimen until Dec 2015.

I am going to follow this challenge, good luck everyone!

hairqueenny

Can you please share your stylist info? I've been looking for someone I can trust with my natural hair in NY also. Thanks!

Queenmickie

Always thinking about my next hairstyle.
Challenge goal: Full SL by May 2015

Length of time commitment: 9 months

Weave style/install hair: Full sew in. Kaye's Fab Hair Brazilian Wavy

Weave regimen:
-My hair is on the way!! First install 8/16/14 :)- Before install, Wash & Condition weave w/ Tresemee naturals
-Wash every 2 weeks with diluted shampoo and conditioner.
-Moisturize 3-4 times a week.
-Keep install for 3 months MAX
-Take down & break for 2 weeks (Protein followed by Moisture steam treatments X2) Then reinstall
I LOVE Kaye's Fab Hair! Great customer service! Fabulous product! I had trouble blending my natural hair with the Brazilian Wavy. I went with the Brazilian curly this time. Perfect match. I'm three weeks in, hoping for a Labor Day sale to buy more!

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Sooooo this hair is still holding up after a week. It tangles like crazy though at the nape. Not sure if there's anything I could do since it's cheap synthetic hair but I will keep it in for 6 weeks and then do something else. Still waiting on my sister in law to fix my top bc it's a hot mess lol but you can't tell far away so good thing no one's up close.

ForumRunner_20140822_153102.jpg

ikandi87

No prob. Not all stylists blow dry your hair though. U should call nd ask her how would she like ur prepped but of course u should feel comfortable with however u prep it.

sharifeh

Does anyone have recommendations for a stylist in NYC who would assist with takedown?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Adiatasha

I've had this sew in since July 1

I want to take it out now!!! But I'm trying to hold on until October 12.
I feel like I'm not going to make it :(

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I've had this sew in since July 1 I want to take it out now!!! But I'm trying to hold on until October 12. I feel like I'm not going to make it :(
Perhaps try different styles? Or maybe get the tracks tightened up a little.

I'm still going strong, I have no time to be concerned with my hair so this low maintenance hair is really working for me.

ezina

My install is next week and I've booked this appointment since August 1st and I just purchased my hair today in store. I was between two hair companies - The Hair Factory (for their NY Remi Wave hair) and Indique. I ended up buying Indique...but then I was stuck between two collections - Bounce or Pure, and temporarily sidetracked by the Sea collection (Zen Straight) --- so many freakin' collections! I ultimately bought from the Bounce collection (Relaxed Straight) after my stylist suggested it since she sensed I was overly concerned about the install looking natural (because, if you haven't noticed, I ain't Indian! :spinning:)

Anyway, I can't wait to see how this all goes down next week. My first full weave install. :yep:

Last edited:

mshoneyfly

Well Ive been sewed up for exactly 6 weeks today and Im ready to take it out. I have 2 synthetic wigs on deck while I pamper my tresses for two weeks and decide whats next. I wont take it down for another couple weeks though. I hope I have some good retention.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

hairqueenny

I took down my install tonight. I started at 7pm and I just finished wrapping up with detangling. Didn't think it would take this long since I usually never do this myself. I plan on buying a wig and wearing that for a few weeks before my next install.

mshoneyfly

Okay,
You already know how crappy this BSS virgin hair is. I washed last night with diluted sulfate poo and of course it tangled and knotted :(

My only saving grace has been this AIA leave in. Its the truth for damaged, high porosity hair. It worked great on my real hair so I tried it on this weave. I used it on dry hair just like a moisturizer ( in small sections). Well the knots and tangles were no match for this stuff. I was easily able to get them out with my fingers without losing a lot of hair. Same with my real hair.

My next virgin install or wig will have the cuticle all going in the same direction to avoid this nightmare!

I LOVE this HHJ!!