Oils that contain ceramides

EMJazzy

Happily retired
For naturals....if I use the wheatgerm oil when I do my twists should I use it on wet hair or airdried hair???

RENIBELL

you can get it it from thw whole foods, its quite expensive, i was trying out the egg shake thing when i bought mine to bought a few bottles. Glad i use it on my hair cause it costs a bit.

yardyspice

Do you have to use the oils everyday to see the benefit or does a once per week hot oil treatment do the trick?

LaidBak

Great thread! Wheat germ oil keeps popping up in my research. I guess that means Ineed to put it in the mix of my reggie.

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
I'm still trying to figure out how to incorporate cermides in my reggie...any more input?

LaidBak

How does your research say it's supposed to be used?

I was researching ways to add strength to my existing hair. I came across ceramides as the logical choice. Then I looked into products, or chemical additives. But I decided to look for a natural source and wheat germ oil kept popping up over and over. It seems like you can eat it or apply it topically. I plan on adding it to the hair oil mix I use daily.

KinkyGenius

I'm still trying to figure out how to incorporate cermides in my reggie...any more input?

I just purchased Biolage Cera-Repair Pro4 Hydratherapie vials:

And from the research that I've been doing, I see that people are adding one vial into their deep conditioner. That's how I plan on using it today when I wash. I'm sure there's other ways as well. HTH.

EMJazzy

Happily retired

I've decided to mix a couple of tablespoons of wheatgerm oil with Elucence MB and use it as a leave in when I do my box braids or twists. I've been doing that now for about a week and my hair feels very moisturized and strong. :yep:

manegoal

I have a grease in my hair product graveyard called Fantastix Wheat germ oil & honey. I knew I liked it for some reason because I could not throw it out. Every blue moon i will put some on the ends. Anywhoo, Desert Essence Coconut Conditioner has wheat germ oil too. ETA: I got some wheat germ oil from vitacost and gave some to mom. She liked it, we both mixed it with coconut oil.

Last edited:

CaliDiamond

I always wondered why my beloved Africa's Best Herbal Oil worked so fabulously on my hair. Walnut seed oil was hiding in there all along:grin:

Lucia

Now some of these oils that have ceramides can be taken as a supplement too. I know about wheat germ oil, and coconut oil caps-I wonder if taking them is better than using them in your hair? or does it matter as long as you get it somehow? TIA
I don't know if there are safe eatable versions of the other oils.

crumbling_images

Taliah Waajid's African Healing Oyl has two ceramide oils: Kukui and Sunflower oil.
OyinHandMade's AfterBath oil has two ceramide oils also: Wheat germ & Rice Bran.

RossBoss

I have some Rice bran oil that I use to fry with. I also had some kukui oil that I bought last year but never used. Last night I deep conditioned my hair with a mixture of Queen Helene deep conditioner, diatomaceous earth and rice bran oil, then afterwards I put some kukui oil in my hair and slapped it back into a ponytail. I am not crazy about the smell of the kukui oil, it smells like a plant, but I do notice that my hair is laying flatter and tamer than usual.

Theresamonet

I am skeptical about rather or not we can get a sufficient amount of ceramides from any of these products to make any difference in our hair. Does anyone know how much ceramides they contain? Are they supposed to just coat the hair shaft like a silicone, or do we need them to penetrate? How do we get them to penetrate?

Tiye

I am skeptical about rather or not we can get a sufficient amount of ceramides from any of these products to make any difference in our hair. Does anyone know how much ceramides they contain? Are they supposed to just coat the hair shaft like a silicone, or do we need them to penetrate? How do we get them to penetrate?

I would say yes because you'll feel the difference right away and it does get better. Pick up some sunflower or walnut oil at the supermarket those are the ones that are most readily available I think. I did go to a couple health food stores today looking for wheat germ oil and they are not carrying it - I did ask. So I will either have to special order through the store or order online. I suppose given this hot weather it might be better for the store to do it.

Missjae09

I would say yes because you'll feel the difference right away and it does get better. Pick up some sunflower or walnut oil at the supermarket those are the ones that are most readily available I think. I did go to a couple health food stores today looking for wheat germ oil and they are not carrying it - I did ask. So I will either have to special order through the store or order online. I suppose given this hot weather it might be better for the store to do it.

Cosign: I am new to the world of ceramides but I will say that I prepoo'd with WGO and Hemp Seed oil (over night because I got lazy) but after letting it sit for a while (before going to bed) my hair was very soft... so much so I've added to WGO and Hemp Seed oil to my leave in conditioner and I use a little in my daily moisturizer. So I definitely think you will be able to tell a difference after using it.

sheba1

After watching the evolution of Halee's hair over a 15 week period using basically the same regimen with the addition of ceramide oils I am a believer.

Check out Halee's bun evolution here: Ceramides: My tesitmony and the evolution of my bun (Pics)

LaidBak

Wheat Germ Oil has made a significant difference in my hair. I assume that heat makes them penetrate, the way it does with anything else. But honestly, I stopped using heat to DC. I leave my DC/oil mix on for about 5 minutes. I've been using WhGO since the spring and I can definitely say the condition of my hair has improved. Its more elastic, softer, and shinier.