Oils that contain ceramides

eshille

Pure ceramide for sale!

45 bucks for 5 milligrams, and I'm not sure that's the chemical variant that is used for the hair (I remember seeing something about Ceramide-2, though) - but there it is. :lol: And they've got all kinds - from 2 up to 20 - and the 2 is the cheapest. :lol:

Ahh, well, there goes that thought of using it like SAA and skipping the middleman. :lol:

Makes me wonder how much they are actually putting in their products, though. :nono:

They are synthetic ceramides...here's a look at usage guidelines...:blush:

Product Name:02:0 Ceramide, N-Acetyl-D-erythro-Sphingosine (C2 Ceramide) Catalog Number: 860502 M.W.: 341.53 Physical Form: Powder Color: White Chemical Abstracts Registry Number: CMC: Special Storage: Store in freezer at < -20° C PKA: Hygroscopic:

[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+0][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Physical Hazards[/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE]This product is not a flammable solid as defined by D.O.T. regulations, Section 173.150. Firefighting methods: use carbon dioxide, dry chemical extinguishers or water.

An approved self-contained breathing apparatus and protective clothing should be used.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Health Hazards[/FONT]
[SIZE=-1]To the best of our knowledge, the health hazards have not been thoroughly investigated.[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]​

[/SIZE][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Safety Precautions and Control Measures[/FONT]
Potentially harmful if inhaled or ingested. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Potential skin and eye irritant. Wash thoroughly after handling. Safety shower and eye bath are recommended. Mechanical ventilation and respiratory protection are strongly recommended. Gloves and protective eyewear should be worn when working with this material.
Waste disposal: sweep loose solids into paper container and incinerate, subject to federal, state, and local laws. Clean-up procedure: wash with acetone or alcohol, then with soap and water.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Emergency and First Aid Procedures[/FONT]
[SIZE=-1]If skin contact occurs, wash with plenty of water; seek medical advice.[/SIZE] If eye contact occurs, wash with plenty of water and seek medical advice. If swallowed, wash mouth out with water and seek medical advice. If inhaled, expose to fresh air. If breathing problems persist, seek medical advice.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Fire and Explosion Hazard Data[/FONT]
Extinguishing Media: water spray, carbon dioxide, dry chemical powder, alcohol or polymer foam. Special Firefighting Procedures: wear self-contained breathing apparatus and protective clothing to prevent contact with skin and eyes.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Reactivity Data[/FONT]
Stability: stable. Hazardous Combustion or Decomposition Products: carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide. Hazardous Polymerization will not occur.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Spill or Leak Procedures[/FONT]
Steps to be Taken if Material is Released or Spilled: wear protective equipment, sweep up, place in a bag and hold for waste disposal, avoid raising dust, ventilate area and wash spill site after material pickup is complete. Waste Disposal Method: dissolve or mix the material with a combustible solvent and burn in a chemical incinerator equipped with an afterburner and scrubber, observe all Federal, State, and Local Laws.

[SIZE=-1]The above information is correct to the best of our knowledge. All material should be handled only by technically qualified individuals experienced in handling potentially hazardous chemicals. The user should make independent decisions regarding completeness of the information based on all sources available. Avanti Polar Lipids, Inc. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]shall not be held liable for any damage resulting from handling or from contact with the above product. For further information or in case of emergency contact the manufacturer.[/SIZE]

Neith

Product Name:02:0 Ceramide, N-Acetyl-D-erythro-Sphingosine (C2 Ceramide) Catalog Number: 860502 M.W.: 341.53 Physical Form: Powder Color: White Chemical Abstracts Registry Number: CMC: Special Storage: Store in freezer at < -20° C PKA: Hygroscopic:

[SIZE=+1][SIZE=-0][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Physical Hazards[/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE]This product is not a flammable solid as defined by D.O.T. regulations, Section 173.150. Firefighting methods: use carbon dioxide, dry chemical extinguishers or water.

An approved self-contained breathing apparatus and protective clothing should be used.

[SIZE=-1]To the best of our knowledge, the health hazards have not been thoroughly investigated.[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Safety Precautions and Control Measures[/FONT]
Potentially harmful if inhaled or ingested. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Potential skin and eye irritant. Wash thoroughly after handling. Safety shower and eye bath are recommended. Mechanical ventilation and respiratory protection are strongly recommended. Gloves and protective eyewear should be worn when working with this material.
Waste disposal: sweep loose solids into paper container and incinerate, subject to federal, state, and local laws. Clean-up procedure: wash with acetone or alcohol, then with soap and water.

[SIZE=-1]If skin contact occurs, wash with plenty of water; seek medical advice.[/SIZE] If eye contact occurs, wash with plenty of water and seek medical advice. If swallowed, wash mouth out with water and seek medical advice. If inhaled, expose to fresh air. If breathing problems persist, seek medical advice.

Extinguishing Media: water spray, carbon dioxide, dry chemical powder, alcohol or polymer foam. Special Firefighting Procedures: wear self-contained breathing apparatus and protective clothing to prevent contact with skin and eyes.

Stability: stable. Hazardous Combustion or Decomposition Products: carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide. Hazardous Polymerization will not occur.

Steps to be Taken if Material is Released or Spilled: wear protective equipment, sweep up, place in a bag and hold for waste disposal, avoid raising dust, ventilate area and wash spill site after material pickup is complete. Waste Disposal Method: dissolve or mix the material with a combustible solvent and burn in a chemical incinerator equipped with an afterburner and scrubber, observe all Federal, State, and Local Laws.

[SIZE=-1]The above information is correct to the best of our knowledge. All material should be handled only by technically qualified individuals experienced in handling potentially hazardous chemicals. The user should make independent decisions regarding completeness of the information based on all sources available. Avanti Polar Lipids, Inc. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]shall not be held liable for any damage resulting from handling or from contact with the above product. For further information or in case of emergency contact the manufacturer.[/SIZE]

wooooooow...

I am not messing with that :look:

JustKiya

[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+0][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Physical Hazards[/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE]This product is not a flammable solid as defined by D.O.T. regulations, Section 173.150. Firefighting methods: use carbon dioxide, dry chemical extinguishers or water.

[SIZE=-1]To the best of our knowledge, the health hazards have not been thoroughly investigated.[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Safety Precautions and Control Measures[/FONT]

:nono: Insane. I should look up the warning for lactic acid, too - I bet they are about this ugly. Though, I don't know about the self contained breathing apparatus!! :thud:

I figured though, as I am simply NOT able to find soapmaking suppliers offering this stuff (though I'm about to go and triple check lotioncrafters to see if they sell it under another name) that it wasn't really - homecraft safe. Mrrrr.

The stuff that they are using in hair products is synthetic ceramides, too - at least the stuff in L'Oreal. I think Nexxus might be using Vegatable ceramides - I'm assuming the 'real' thing. And then, of course, there are the folks with the cow brain (brain, placenta, whale sperm - :lachen: - redefining using the WHOLE hog!!!).......

TexturedTresses

Yeah I prefer to try out the oils then mess with this.

eshille

:nono: Insane. I should look up the warning for lactic acid, too - I bet they are about this ugly. Though, I don't know about the self contained breathing apparatus!! :thud:

I figured though, as I am simply NOT able to find soapmaking suppliers offering this stuff (though I'm about to go and triple check lotioncrafters to see if they sell it under another name) that it wasn't really - homecraft safe. Mrrrr.

The stuff that they are using in hair products is synthetic ceramides, too - at least the stuff in L'Oreal. I think Nexxus might be using Vegatable ceramides - I'm assuming the 'real' thing. And then, of course, there are the folks with the cow brain (brain, placenta, whale sperm - :lachen: - redefining using the WHOLE hog!!!).......

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Lucky's Mom

Ladies.... I would not play with those chems....
But I can tell you that I used Sunflower oil for an extented period.... And it Banished my split ends for a long time!!!!

So - this all makes lot of sense!

eshille

i wonder if it would make sense to add one of these oils during the relaxer process.
adding it to the relaxer or in the conditioner before the neutralizing poo?

Cherokia-Rose..thx for asking this q...it lead me to some interesting info I can use...

Why Use Protein with a Relaxer?

Relaxers are chemical solutions that break the natural protein bonds of the hair. Adding protein can assist in keeping hair smooth and healthy by restoring some strength and elasticity to the hair, however, it is not possible to restore the hair bonds that are broken down during the relaxing process. Also be aware of what whether it is a protein treatment or a protein oil. Protein oils will add shine, but may not have the same benefits as the protein concentrate.
[edit]
Forms of Protein

Protein added to hair relaxer comes in a concentrated form. Wheat protein is used in many hair products; this is a milder form of protein. Animal proteins or hydrolyzed human hair protein are stronger forms of protein. The protein in hair concentrated additives and other hair products works by "sealing" the hair shaft. This results in healthier-looking hair.
[edit]
Finding Protein to Add

The first step is to find a good protein additive for your relaxer. Some kits come with protein some don’t. If you need a protein additive StyleOne Hair Systems has a good one to try. Pure and Powerful Hair Protein is also nice because it’s versatile. You can add it to any chemical hair product to increase moisture and softness. You simply add one capful of Pure and Powerful to any relaxer solution. This protein works with any brand of hair relaxer. There are also other brands available; read their ingredients and instructions carefully to choose the best one for you.
[edit]
Other Great Solutions

Adding protein to hair relaxer or using relaxers containing protein can help in maintaining healthy hair, but other considerations are necessary.

http://hair.lovetoknow.com/Adding_Protein_to_Hair_Relaxer

Last edited:

eshille

It occurred to me that some of these plant ceramides may not/do not penetrate the hair and probably should be combined w/oils which we know do penetrate (evoo...coconut...jojoba...mac nut(?)...kukui) as the carrier for the efa's and any other botanical/nutrients used.

OP...such a great thread...justkiya...super info....:yep:

I've re-read JustKiya's abstract and hot oil treatments w/plant oil ceramides is not required...I shall do them to infuse efa's and other nutrients further...but for the purposes of (daily) protection from the loss of proteins...a simple application of oils per samanthajones' sunflower seed testimony appears to be all that's really needed. Actually, this boils down to sealing w/oil and using oils when/as needed. The key is the type of oil used and when.

Ceramides are suggested per JustKiya's abstract to:

Polar lipids like ceramides play a vital role in the hair's external protective sheath, the cuticle.

The ceramides are essential to the cohesion of the cuticle and maintenance of its protective effect for the hair shaft.

Ceramides are known to protect and/or repair the hair fibers from or after attack by the various agents and treatments mentioned above. In particular, they have a barrier effect which limits the loss of proteins;

Furthermore, they also reinforce cuticle cohesion, which gives the hair more strength and liveliness.

If my enthusiasm has misled anyone pls accept my apology...:grin:

Have a great day, everyone...:yep:

girlcherokee

yes this is leading me to think that oils with ceramides should play some role in my regimen, especially around relaxer time. this time i self relaxed and added EVOO and castor oil to my relaxer. next time, i think i will consider one of these oils as well. my hair seems to love EVOO and castor so whatever i use i think i will mix it with these two.
i bought nexxxus volumizing mousse the other day - because i needed more mousses, to help my hair not look so thin, and also because it has ceramides in there and i thought it might be good to have atlease one product in my regimen that had these. now that we are learning more about these, it seems like i may be able to work more in and still use mostly natural products.

girlcherokee

what product is loreal referring to that contains ceramide R? anyone know? if that is a protein based treatment, it might be worth trying after relaxer but before the neutralizing poo.
or are there any other protien treatments, comparable to the 2 minute aphogee that contains ceramides?

JustKiya

what product is loreal referring to that contains ceramide R? anyone know? if that is a protein based treatment, it might be worth trying after relaxer but before the neutralizing poo.
or are there any other protien treatments, comparable to the 2 minute aphogee that contains ceramides?

Based on this, it looks like it's the Elvive line of products - but all of the results seem to be from OUS, so it might not be available here, just yet.

TexturedTresses

I'm far from an expert on this, but do you think that maybe if you added these oils to the 2 minute aphogee it might have a comparable effect. Other then that, I know Nexxus Keraphix has ceramides and that is a mild protein treatment.

JustKiya

Does anyone know what the consisentcy of wheat germ oil is? I've been thinking this thread over (hard, too) over the last couple of days, and I would really like to add one of these to my castor oil mix that I put on my hair - but one of the things I love about the castor oil is that it's so thick......and I wouldn't want to dilute it TOO much with another oil.

Besides, I've been hearing about wheat germ oil for a minute, and this is a perfect excuse to try it out....

TexturedTresses

Does anyone know what the consisentcy of wheat germ oil is? I've been thinking this thread over (hard, too) over the last couple of days, and I would really like to add one of these to my castor oil mix that I put on my hair - but one of the things I love about the castor oil is that it's so thick......and I wouldn't want to dilute it TOO much with another oil.

Besides, I've been hearing about wheat germ oil for a minute, and this is a perfect excuse to try it out....

I've never seen it. However, I read that people use it as salad dressing sometimes. So it might have the consistency of olive oil or flaxseed oil. Again, I'm not sure.

eshille

BUmping around on the net I wrote the following down about wheat germ
oil...don't have a link and have ever used it, but here it is...:grin:

Wheat germ + Hair
carrier oil
consistency sticky heavy
mix w/another carrier oil
Wheat germ is know to promote hair growth...topically or internally???..I suspect both.

me-T

dumb questions, but could you get something similar to protein overload if you use to many ceramides? since these are naturally derived, (not the oxy-whatchamacallit-2), do they still cause build up?

CokoQt

I know this is an older thread but I just saw that Ginseng Wonder 8 oil has Wheat germ oil in it. Its the fourth ingredient. It always made my hair so soft when I used it, so I am wondering if it is because of the wheat germ oil's ceramide properties. I don't know why I ever stopped using it. I am putting this back in my regimen.

Sapphire_chic

very useful info! i think i'm going to give hemp seed oil a try...and from what i've been reading i'm going to use it on my face too.