New...and frustrated!

Randomcandle

I've spent a long time searching, and I have been completely unsuccessful. I'm beginning to loose hope. I have thin, natural hair. I've recently accepted this fact. Although my mother is graced with a head full of thick, fast-growing hair...I am not! I'm having a really hard time finding any natural, thin-haired ladies with long hair. I am, however, finding tons, and tons of beautiful, thick haired women with hair so long it's ridiculous. Are there any natural-haired ladies out there with hair that hangs low? Think...kimmaytube? I sure hope so, I need some inspiration!

WanakeeWannaBe

Well, I'm not able to offer much in the way of inspiration (relaxed head, fine 4a/b, maybe transitioning w/o the Big Chop), but just wanted to encourage you to stay on your healthy hair path. Genetics dictates much of our hair's condition (fine/thick strands, terminal length, moisture v. protein, high/low porosity), but diet and exercise can have a big impact. I've only been on LHCF for a few months, and discovered that patience and consistency are the keys to a healthy head of hair. Health before length, b/c the length will come as long as you baby each and every strand.

Don't stay discouraged, b/c anything worth having is worth working for. :yep: Just my :twocents: Take care ...

SEMO

I agree with the poster above me that patience is key. Also, besides feeling that your hair is naturally fine, are there any particular problems you're having with your hair? Also, welcome to the forum. :)

mdcitygurl

My hair was thin but always healthy. I used henna for the first time last week and noticed it thickened my hair instantly. I wear in a bun most days and stay away from heat.

In the summer, braids and curly weaves to protect my hair, constantly moisturizing. But this has helped it thicken up.

I'm very impatient too, but it takes time.

Randomcandle

Well, keeping it moisturized has been going pretty well. I keep my hair up a lot now, because my hair seems to get riddled with single strand knots otherwise. There is one thing that's a little concerning, however. When I put my hair in twists, I do notice that it starts tapering down towards the end so that by the time i finish, the very tips are super skinny. Does this mean they are split, and I should just cut them off? Ahhhh, I don't want to lose any more hair! I'm also noticing the middle of my hair (which, in the past has been the first to break off and fall out) grows reaaalllyyy slowly in comparison with the sides, and back of my hair. It's very frustrating, but I'm slowly coming to terms with it.

Curlykale

welcome!
If you have thin hair or single strand knots you may LAAAAAW-VE castor oil.

sometimes a part of your hair grows before the rest, this is what happens to me. I would have a look at the ends after about 6 months and see. Layers also do this, I find that blunt cuts give more illusion of thickness once hair is long enough to achieve them.

Split ends have 2 tips and they are the only ones I cut.

Another thing that you may like is using some rods (i.e. flexi rods) at the end of each braid or twist when you go to sleep or air dry: it gives more "fullness" to the ends and it also keeps them stretched, protecting you from knots. I do it all the time and I use castor oil on my ends when I do it.

I hope it helps, happy hair growing!

Last edited:

Curlykale

Oh and I know Tastiredbone on youtube has fine/thin (and beautiful) hair, you may find some interesting information there!

Kimbosheart

I never post in these thread but welcome and a bit of advice. When i was new I tried everything on here. That's really not necessary. Stick to the basics and give them time to work and you will see your hair become it's thickest and longest and relatively fast (4-6 months to change your hair). You may have to experience with different oils, moisturizers, or conditioner, but there is no one single miracle product. The miracle is that you like the results and you are consistent with them. I am a heat straightened natural and I notice that I have the most growth and the most retention when I do the following consistently:
- drink 1/2 to 1 gallon of water a day
- monitor my nutrition by eating more fruits and veggies, and lean protein and taking a multi-vitamin
- moisturizing my hair regularly (for me thats about 3x's a week, for you it could be daily)
- pre-pooing by oiling my scalp with Jamaican Black Castor Oil and Olive OIl mixed together and putting that mix on my ends (it's too heavy for my very thick strands and dense hair)
- Shampooing with a moisturizing conditioner (sulfates don't matter for my hair)
- Deep Conditioning for moisture (at least one hour with a steam or heat cap) and every 4th wash doing a henna gloss treatment
- rollersetting with a leave-in conditioner and sitting under a dryer and using heat only on my roots.
- Not combing or brushing my hair roughly
- Keeping my ends dusted because I don't protective style regularly (protective styling may help you)
- Washing my hair in sections so that it doesnt tangle or knot when it's wet

When I'm consistent with that my hair pays me back. Sometimes I may try to spped things along by taking biotin or correct my laziness by going no-heat. The thing is consistency, mixed with a bit of trial and error and then the basic tenets of good hair practice, moisturize and protect your ends.

Lastly, I'll say that your hair will gain thickness, length and shine once you get the right mix going on but the Jamaican Black Castor Oil and Henna treatments are known for thickening up the hair shaft. The castor oil is very thick and sticky and it stinks so I only use it to prepoo and the henna is a messy time consuming process that may damage your hair if you're not careful.

Welcome and be patient. I wasted my first 6 months on the board trying everything and hopping bandwagons. Once I got consistent I went from SL to APL in about 4 months.