Is there any hope for us fine haired ladies???

I'm feeling a little discouraged.
I believe my hair texture is 4a/b but it is very decieving. When my hair is in its natural state it appears to be very thick and strong but when its is pressed, blow dried or relaxed it is very fine and thin looking (one of these days I will have an album to share what I'm talking about :) ).
I've been told this by a few hairstylists that because my hair is fine it wont grow long or look good long because my ends will be too thin or see through. I've also been be told to keep my hair in a blunt chin length cut to keep the ends from looking so thin.
Before I discovered hair care boards and knew nothing about preserving my ends I thought I would be destined to have a chin length bob forever!
Is there any hope for us fine haired ladies?

MWilson569

Definately!!! Just some extra TLC.. some B-5, I heard M-T-G really thickens hair ( Thats the next product im going to try), Protein treatments to keep hair strong, a good moisturizing condition and protective styles to help hair grow long, healthy and thick... also someone just suggested to me that long layers gives more body...especially when flatironing and setting your hair. Oh!!! I cant forget ...stimulate your scalp with scalp messages!!! GOOD LUCK with your hair journey. Theres plenty of hope for us -Melissa

hOnii

ONEBLESSEDRN said:
I believe my hair texture is 4a/b but it is very decieving. When my hair is in its natural state it appears to be very thick and strong but when its is pressed, blow dried or relaxed it is very fine and thin looking (one of these days I will have an album to share what I'm talking about :) ).
I've been told this by a few hairstylists that because my hair is fine it wont grow long or look good long because my ends will be too thin or see through. I've also been be told to keep my hair in a blunt chin length cut to keep the ends from looking so thin.
Before I discovered hair care boards and knew nothing about preserving my ends I thought I would be destined to have a chin length bob forever!

i'm in the same boat. fine hair sucks. :(

Victorian

old head
Don't believe the lies! You hair can grow just like anybody else's. I have fine, thin hair also (my natural texture is deceiving as well), and it grew when I was relaxed.
Maybe layers would give body, but I'm inclined to think that when you have thin hair layers will make it look thinner...I don't know, it just seems that way. Blunt ends always made my hair look thicker. I also avoid putting too much stuff on my hair since it weighs down easily.
Putting the ends on soft rollers at night worked when I wanted to wear it out and wanted more body. But actually the stick straight look never bothered me--I kinda like it *shrug*

ONEBLESSEDRN said:

lshevonne

My hair is fine and mostly 4b. I don't have any new photos but it's past my shoulders now. My hair has never been this long with out the old Jerri-Curl. LOL My mother saw me this past weekend and she couldn't believe how long my hair was. That made me smile... It's all thanks to the LHCF.
When I get my new computer I'll have to take some more pics.

L

lkg4healthyhair

I sure hope there is hope :D

I have fine hair as well and mine does look alot thicker when natural and very thin IMO when relaxed (when I style my own hair that is). This is one of the reason's why I did not wear my hair out much and why I am transitioning.

I can understand what you mean by the blunt cut because my hair looked best sometimes when it was "trimmed" to this length....but I KNOW we can grow our fine hair just as long as someone else because I have done it in the past and will do it again.

I think retention is the key.

divinefavor

I hope there's hope! My hair is fine/thin as well. Whenever would get layers they would grow out really fast and it's back to a flat/thin look again. I've been seriously taking care of my hair since I started here at LHCF at the end of March. I haven't really taken pictures of my progress. My Avatar is a picture two days after a touch up that my friend did to my hair back in mid June. I started stretching my relaxers to 12 weeks after my touch up in March. I've seen that stretching has made an improvement on my hair and keeping my ends moisturized. I'm open to more tips and suggestions! :)

KinkyCurly

I believe there is hope. My hair is fine and like some of the other ladies I have my hair cut into a blunt cut. I could never get the hair to look right with layers (when straight).

I find that with fine hair I have to especially careful with my ends.

JewelleNY

Oneblessedrn: i know how you feel, my hair is also 4a/b but very fine. it is interesting because my sis has 4 hair as well but hers is very thick and full and strong! we are twins so even though our hair has been equal lengths in the past hers always held styles longer and just looked better. now i find longer hair looks better on me and i do batu knots while drying which gives body or i will do braidouts. both give the appearance of fullness. also dominican blowouts made my hair appear fuller but my hair was too weak to withstand the pulling and straightening!

LABETT

My hair is fine also and what help improved my hair is not relaxing bone straight and having stylist comb relaxer all thru my hair.
I relax every 12 weeks instead of 6-8 weeks and this has help also.
I took B5 for 8 months and did not see major results until I started taking B-75 Complex and Freeda Biotin.

honeycomb719

I think their is hope....I have very fine hair also, and my natural hair appears top be thick, but when straightening is very thin. This has begun to change for me. Going back natural has been benficial for me in that aspect....
Just continue to care for your strands like the finest silk thread known to man, and you will see that their is hope ;)

WaterMoccasin

Yes! There is hope! I am also fine-haired and mostly 4a. My hair always had this interesting habit of swelling to massive dimensions and appearing thick and plentiful (when natural, texturized, AND relaxed-in roller sets) but once flattened/straightened stick-straight, I almost look like I need Rogaine. And my strands, oh so delicate and fine fine fine. Currently, I am texturized (although I will be going for a full-blown relaxer soon) and my hair is near-brastrap again.
Check out my album and you'll see what I mean! Fortunately (and also unfortunately), as a texturized chick, I have never really been able to get my hair stick-straight myself so it still appears to have body and fullness whenever I make the attempt but I also don't get the full stretched out length. And my ends always suck.
As these ladies said, take care of it! There is indeed hope!

http://public.fotki.com/BahamaM/

pw in profile

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

Very fine hair girl checking in. I also get discouraged at times especially when I try to detangle my hair when it is wet and I see strands of hair in my comb or even on my fingers. I have even tried to add more protein hair products to my regime and but I don't think it's the best thing for my fine hair because it makes my hair very hard, dry and then it snaps off. So I rather use more moisturizing products than protein in my regime. I also don't use any heat on my hair apart from doing a deep conditioner under my hood dryer.

The best thing that works on my fine strands are Jamaican black castor oil, MTG and Eqyss mega-tek rebuilder.

sharee

I have fine and thin hair!!! It appears full until straightened. I have stopped perming my hair (although at almost a year of transitioning I am considering texturizing). The things that have helped me most is cutting back on heat, and frequent perming. I also quit putting so many products on my hair (less is more). I just trimmed the super thin ends off a little at a time. Then a couple of weeks ago, I cut off 3 or 4 inches of thin ends and I feel much better.

asummertyme

another fine haired lady checking in..i have hair similar to my mother's...its very fine, but i have alot of it...so that makes for lots of fine strands..i grew may hair to about 3 inches above bra stap relaxed..then chopped it off to chin length..now i am natural..i think this is a much better route for me and as i grow my hair i may get a texturizer..but more than likely...no more bone strait relaxing for me anymore..

shunemite

ONEBLESSEDRN said:

Girl you are my hair TWIN! I have kinky 4b hair that is thinner than Calista Flockhart. I have to keep my hair blunt cut, I can't wear it sleek, and can't relax bone-straight coz I come out looking bald. But for some reason stylists think when they look at my natural hair, that it's very coarse and leave the relaxer on too long. So I relax my own hair, and it actually looks better.

What helps me is aphogee, rinses, and blunt cuts. I think we got hope!

Thanks for checking in!!! I feel much better and WAY motivated now! :D :D I see the key is preserving my ends, texturizing or keeping it natural, relaxer stretching and moisturizing amongst other things.
Has anyone had any luck with supplements? I notice with the slew I take now I get about 1/2 inch a month, but are there any that will thicken the strand??? A co-worker told me to try HF37 (I think that's what it is).
I also recall reading that pantothenic acid and l-cysteine may help too.

Its so good to see ladies with hair similar to mine achieve their hair goals!

MeechUK

MeechUK
I think that we just have to be grateful for what we are given and give our hair the best care we possibly can! I stopped straightening my hair when I noticed how thin/fine it had become. I kept my hair short, but did not know how to take care of it. Since joining the board and learning more about hair care, my hair is now thicker and longer. I also learnt about what my hair needs and likes and continually experiment with treatments and styles. I also find that I don't need to weigh my hair down with grease and now use only natural products (*Shea, Avocado & Cocoa butters and eo) and distilled water to moisturise. Weighing thin hair down makes the hair look thinner, in the case of fine hair and oil, less is more!

There is plenty of hope, my thick haired friends always complain about the thickness, but me, I advise them and embrace what I have, fine/light hair!

MeechUK

Stormy

Ms. Fine hair checking in. I have the same problem with my hair being thick when in it's natural state and thin when relaxed. Before I had my setback my hair had grown to shoulder length, but the ends had thinned out terribly. :( Not see through, but bad enough. Even when I was texturized it seemed like the longer it got the thinner my ends got. Plus I had layers which made it look even thinner. Now I'm texturized again, but now my ends are much thicker! :grin: What I've been doing is using MTG and waiting even longer (15-16 weeks) before I texturize. I've been trimming more too. Plus, I notice my layers are growing out too. I don't think my hair will ever be all one length (and I don't want it to be I love my layers), but my layers will be longer. This time if my ends start to thin out as I get to shoulder length I may just keep it cut to collerbone (sp?) length. I would much rather have short healthy thick hair than long thin hair. As long as it's healthy, and long enough to wear cute updo styles and other cute styles that's good enough for me.

harigeek

Hi Stormy - I see you are also a 4a. What do you use to texturize ? I really want to texturize as well because most natural hair styles don't work for me. My hair is so many different lengths, really! I don't think I have even 5 hairs of the exact same length and this makes a lot of natural hair styles - cornrows, twists, braids - look really old and messy as soon as I'm done!

So ... please let me know what you use to texturize and how you do it. By the way, I'm also a fine-haired, low-volume-hair chick ;)

Thanks!

Stormy said:
Ms. Fine hair checking in. I have the same problem with my hair being thick when in it's natural state and thin when relaxed. Before I had my setback my hair had grown to shoulder length, but the ends had thinned out terribly. :( Not see through, but bad enough. Even when I was texturized it seemed like the longer it got the thinner my ends got. Plus I had layers which made it look even thinner. Now I'm texturized again, but now my ends are much thicker! :grin: What I've been doing is using MTG and waiting even longer (15-16 weeks) before I texturize. I've been trimming more too. Plus, I notice my layers are growing out too. I don't think my hair will ever be all one length (and I don't want it to be I love my layers), but my layers will be longer. This time if my ends start to thin out as I get to shoulder length I may just keep it cut to collerbone (sp?) length. I would much rather have short healthy thick hair than long thin hair. As long as it's healthy, and long enough to wear cute updo styles and other cute styles that's good enough for me.

Mahalialee4

I cannot remember if I posted re: fine hair: but mine is doing so much better now. I credit, less flat wrapping and tugging, extreme moisturizing treatments, careful use and timing of protein deep conditioning, and sealing the ends ie the Hair Lady Robin Woods.< Stopped the shedding and weak ends cold. Keeping a balance of moisture protein and oils.I recently started on Pantothenic Acid and Foti. My next hair goal is bra strap on the sides which means the back should be mid back. Hair is really thickening. It just started taking off in the past few weeks and the strands are much much stronger. I think that MTG was also a big factor. HHG

Stormy

harigeek said:
Hi Stormy - I see you are also a 4a. What do you use to texturize ? I really want to texturize as well because most natural hair styles don't work for me. My hair is so many different lengths, really! I don't think I have even 5 hairs of the exact same length and this makes a lot of natural hair styles - cornrows, twists, braids - look really old and messy as soon as I'm done!

So ... please let me know what you use to texturize and how you do it. By the way, I'm also a fine-haired, low-volume-hair chick ;)

Thanks!

I use the new Motions Salon Herbals (mild) relaxer. I left it on for 15 minutes in the front (should have just done 10) and 10 minutes in the back.

HTH:)

SandySea

I'm a fine haired girl, and I've learned to work with and appreciate my hair. The key is doing what works for you and not comparing your hair to others. Also, there's no shame in using products that are designed to give fine strands more body. Today I relaxed after 4 months. My hair was flat and stuck to my head. I went straight home, pulled out my Polish n' shine mousse, threw some rollers in and one hour later I had full bouncy hair that looked 10 times thicker than when I left the salon. Rollers, setting lotion, mousse (made for relaxed hair), and protein conditioners are a fine-haired girl's best friend. Personally, I love the smooth texture and bounciness that having finer hair gives me.

P.S. I'm on a mission to BSL and I'm about four inches away now. I get somewhat offended when I read in magazines, etc that fine hair should be short. Do what you feel comfortable with and what looks good on you. Good luck.

unlvgirl

My Crown and Glory
my hair is fine as well, i try to do braid outs when i want it to look fuller.For the most part i have just come to the realization that there is not much i can do to thicken it up. I have had no problem obtaining length though.

SandySea said:
Today I relaxed after 4 months. My hair was flat and stuck to my head. I went straight home, pulled out my Polish n' shine mousse, threw some rollers in and one hour later I had full bouncy hair that looked 10 times thicker than when I left the salon. Rollers, setting lotion, mousse (made for relaxed hair), and protein conditioners are a fine-haired girl's best friend. Personally, I love the smooth texture and bounciness that having finer hair gives me. QUOTE]

I can relate to this! I used to squirt a little nioxin bionutrient active spray on my roots just to "pump them up" before I would curl it to give it extra body. It worked like a dream too!