(To the Straight Haired Naturals) Does Heat slow Down Your Growth?

naija24

Hey ladies!!

I'm debating being a straight haired natural. I am done done DONE with relaxers but I miss straight hair. I long for it. I would be all over it except that someone told me that being a straight haired natural seriously cuts back on their growth rates. I'm not sure why.

To the experts: LHCF straight haired natural ladies -- does using heat regularly hurt your hair growth goals? I"m talking 2x a month, not like 3 times a year. This is to the ladies that get regular silk presses at the salon or even at home.

Also, what length were you when you decided to be straight haired natural? I imagine most women who are transitioned with a press every 2 weeks like normal and just chopped off the relaxed ends whenever.

MilkChocolateOne

yes, i like nice ends so i only retain 4 inches a year. I cut about two inches off every year. i have fine hair and i blow dry and straighten every 7 to 10 days.

naija24

yes, i like nice ends so i only retain 4 inches a year. I cut about two inches off every year. i have fine hair and i blow dry and straighten every 7 to 10 days.

thanks!!

how long was your hair when you started to use heat regularly? How long is your hair now?

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My hair retains length better when stretched. I keep it stretched in plaits in between blowouts. Wearing my hair unstretched caused massive tangles and knots on the ends. I have fine/medium 4b textured hair. Now that I use heat regularly I rarely get knots and my hair is easier to manage.

MilkChocolateOne

thanks!!

how long was your hair when you started to use heat regularly? How long is your hair now?

I transitioned from relaxed hair to a straightened natural. I started at bra strap length relaxed head and transitioned using heat over a two year period. I did aggressive trims every 3 months to get rid of the relaxed hair. I was armpit length when I was done transitioning. I hit bra strap length a year. I cut my hair back to apl two weeks ago. I cut off some heat damaged ends. I usually don't experience heat damage but I switched deep conditioners last year and the new conditioner was silicone free and did not protect my hair from heat styling.

naija24

I transitioned from relaxed hair to a straightened natural. I started at bra strap length relaxed head and transitioned using heat over a two year period. I did aggressive trims every 3 months to get rid of the relaxed hair. I was armpit length when I was done transitioning. I hit bra strap length a year. I cut my hair back to apl two weeks ago. I cut off some heat damaged ends. I usually don't experience heat damage but I switched deep conditioners last year and the new conditioner was silicone free and did not protect my hair from heat styling.

Everyone told me to do it that way but I didn't want to straighten regularly and then big chop 2 years later and then not have any curls.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care

Good to know! :yep:

Guinan

Re-Branding

Thanks for that info. When u DC with a silicone free conditioner, did u use a heat protectant?