Mud Hair Wash=NO DC?

DesignerCurls

I have a 6 year old and I've been hesitating to use the wash on her hair primarily since she has a thick head of hair (that's her in my profile picture at 2yrs). I think I'll use up my 8 oz bottle fairly quickly. @DesignerCurls, I think I read one of your post where you mentioned that your girls have fairly long hair so wondering how much product you used on their hair and also whether your 5 yr old had the patience to sit through a mud wash/detox. Sigh...wash day is not fun day for my dd. Just curious how it went with your kids.

Sorry hair4today for the late reply and thank faithVA for replying. I didn't do the full detox on my 5 year old (did the wash 1 time for about 3 days :look:). I mainly use shea butter mix & aubrey gel or KCCC on their hair so there wasn't alot of synthetics to remove. Her hair is fine and more of a 3b/c so I don't need a lot for her. My oldest daughter has alot of hair like your daughter's hair (which is beautiful by the way) with 4a/b type. So I just sprayed her hair with water and put in about 8 big twist. (similar to how Naptural85 preps for her clay washes) I spray the hair instead of diluting the clay. I used about a quarter size for each twist. Her hair seems to drinks the clay up but I know it's still working. And her hair benefited tremendously. I can now put her hair in a ponytail with just water and the edges will lay flat. She is super tenderheaded but I was able to get about 4 or 5 days wash from her...1 time per day. My youngest daughter likes to act like she is making an appointment at a spa so she thinks getting her hair done is fun. My oldest not so much! :nono:

I hope that helped!

Wanderland

Still poo'ing 1-2x per week with mud and plain water rinsing on other days.

Turning point in my reggie. Dc'd on dry hair with AOGPB, then mud washed. Afterwards I applied juices and berries and sealed the entire strand with Jojoba oil (or used it as a leave in...semantics). I then braided my hair in ~14 braids for a braid out and let airdry. I got one of the BEST braidouts ever. It's now day 4 hair and I'm going to wash because I'm sick of the style and want to give my hair some love but I don't HAVE to. It's not to frizzy or super tangled.

My reggie is pretty much wash condition and braid. The only difference was the dc'ing before the wash, and jojoba oil over a very light leave in. BTW the oil on freshly mudded hair felt completely different than oil on poo'd hair. Or maybe it was just the jojoba oil. It was my first time using it that way.

faithVA

Still poo'ing 1-2x per week with mud and plain water rinsing on other days.

Turning point in my reggie. Dc'd on dry hair with AOGPB, then mud washed. Afterwards I applied juices and berries and sealed the entire strand with Jojoba oil (or used it as a leave in...semantics). I then braided my hair in ~14 braids for a braid out and let airdry. I got one of the BEST braidouts ever. It's now day 4 hair and I'm going to wash because I'm sick of the style and want to give my hair some love but I don't HAVE to. It's not to frizzy or super tangled.

My reggie is pretty much wash condition and braid. The only difference was the dc'ing before the wash, and jojoba oil over a very light leave in. BTW the oil on freshly mudded hair felt completely different than oil on poo'd hair. Or maybe it was just the jojoba oil. It was my first time using it that way.

Love it Wanderland. It sounds nice, simple and light. And a 4 day braid out sounds wonderful.

hair4today

Sorry @hair4today for the late reply and thank @faithVA for replying. I didn't do the full detox on my 5 year old (did the wash 1 time for about 3 days :look:). I mainly use shea butter mix & aubrey gel or KCCC on their hair so there wasn't alot of synthetics to remove. Her hair is fine and more of a 3b/c so I don't need a lot for her. My oldest daughter has alot of hair like your daughter's hair (which is beautiful by the way) with 4a/b type. So I just sprayed her hair with water and put in about 8 big twist. (similar to how Naptural85 preps for her clay washes) I spray the hair instead of diluting the clay. I used about a quarter size for each twist. Her hair seems to drinks the clay up but I know it's still working. And her hair benefited tremendously. I can now put her hair in a ponytail with just water and the edges will lay flat. She is super tenderheaded but I was able to get about 4 or 5 days wash from her...1 time per day. My youngest daughter likes to act like she is making an appointment at a spa so she thinks getting her hair done is fun. My oldest not so much! :nono:

I hope that helped!
Very helpful thank you @DesignerCurls. I think I'm gonna adopt your approach which is to spray the hair in twists and apply the undiluted mud. Sounds like your 10 yr old and my daughter are hair twins. I lol when you referenced getting her hair into a ponytail and keeping her edges flat and the extreme tenderheadedness. If the mud wash can help with some of these challenges then I'm gonna give it a shot. I don't think though that I can get away with 3 - 4 wash days in a row...she won't go for that :nono:. Instead I'm going to leave the mud on her hair for 30 to 60 minutes with the hair therapy wrap. I think @faithVA is right, there likely isn't a need to detox kids hair at such as young age so if it works out like it did for your girls, I'll keep to weekly mud washes and maybe alternate with shampoo if it gets too costly. That ought to do it (fingers crossed).

ETA -- just wanted to say:thankyou: to you and @faithVA for your lovely compliments on my daughter's hair. She's truly blessed, not only is it thick but she retains well so now her hair is below waist length. I just wished she enjoyed getting her hair done as much as I enjoy doing it :ohwell:. Maybe with the mud wash she'll come to view it as a spa treatment rather than the dreaded wash day. :pray:

Last edited:
Anyone performed the detox using overnight treatments only? If so, how many consecutive nights were required? Hoping that 3 or 4 would be ok?

Chromia

Yesterday I was visiting a city where there's a store that sells this, so I bought an 8 oz bottle of lavender and an 8 oz bottle of lemon. I did 3 washes with the lavender today. My hair feels clean, there's less shrinkage, and it made my curls/coils pop.

Beany

I have rhassoul clay at home (along with AVJ), but my mixes never come out right and I make a huge mess (my whipped shea butter attempt=NO). I ordered a bottle. Let's hope I can come back and give a glowing review.

faithVA

I have rhassoul clay at home (along with AVJ), but my mixes never come out right and I make a huge mess (my whipped shea butter attempt=NO). I ordered a bottle. Let's hope I can come back and give a glowing review.

Nothing wrong with mixing. I know you can mix lots of things but sometimes I just don't feel like :lol: I so like convenience :yep:

Let us know how it goes.

nakialovesshoes

Okay I noticed something & think the mud is the culprit. I co-washed night before last & then I applied some BT to my scalp & baggied overnight. In 24 hours my scalp was soooo sore & tender right in the center of my head where my 4z hair is. It still is. Feels like someone tapped me in the top of my head with a hammer. I think that because my scalp is freshly detoxed & the layer of gunk is gone, the BT is penetrating better. What do you think?

faithVA

[USER=30119 said:
nakialovesshoes[/USER];14251043]Okay I noticed something & think the mud is the culprit. I co-washed night before last & then I applied some BT to my scalp & baggied overnight. In 24 hours my scalp was soooo sore & tender right in the center of my head where my 4z hair is. It still is. Feels like someone tapped me in the top of my head with a hammer. I think that because my scalp is freshly detoxed & the layer of gunk is gone, the BT is penetrating better. What do you think?

What did you cowash with? And what is BT? sorry its not coming to me:ohwell:

youwillrise

bt...boundless tresses maybe?

im gonna use up the mud and then start using reg. bentonite clay...because of the price mostly. i do think the mud is responsible for my hair taking to the new products. im going to stick with all natural products, too

Last edited:

faithVA

bt...boundless tresses maybe?

im gonna use up the mud and then start using reg. bentonite clay. i do think the mud is responsible for my hair taking to the new products. im going to stick with all natural products, too

I sure hope not. Because if she detoxed and then put all that sulfur on her head, then she is lucky its only feeling sensitive.

Not knocking boundless tresses but that stuff is seriously strong. I broke out so bad I had to put it down. :look:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Subbing to read later. I am wanting to try it, but I wonder if using a hair dye would block the benefits. :ohwell: I also think you have to refrain from other products when you use this. I still have more research to do.

DesignerCurls

Just wanted to share some pic of my hair after the clay treatment. Since you ladies inspired me! :grin: My new camera phone isn't the best but this is what I have:

1st two pic-wet hair after I washed the clay out
2nd two pic-dry hair after wear a ponytail (no product)
last pic-twist out with my versions of shea butter mix & flaxseed gel

Attachments

• wet hair.jpg
    wet hair.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 76
  • wet hair2.jpg
    wet hair2.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 73
  • ponytail hair.jpg
    ponytail hair.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 68
  • ponytail hair2.jpg
    ponytail hair2.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 70
  • weekend hair.jpg
    weekend hair.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 76

nakialovesshoes

I sure hope not. Because if she detoxed and then put all that sulfur on her head, then she is lucky its only feeling sensitive.

Not knocking boundless tresses but that stuff is seriously strong. I broke out so bad I had to put it down. :look:
faithVA

So I think I've been wrong yet again. I thought the sensitive feeling on the
scalp was a good thing & meant that your hair was growing. It's the same feeling I used to get in that area when I was stretching relaxers. Is this not the case?

I've never had any issues with BT or sulfur as far as breakouts. Do I need to detox my scalp again? Seriously, if this isn't a growth pain, then it's not worth it & the BT will be tossed.

NJoy I know you're not a part of this thread but I also know that you've been using sulfur for quite some time with good results. Have you ever had the scalp tenderness?

faithVA

@faithVA

So I think I've been wrong yet again. I thought the sensitive feeling on the
scalp was a good thing & meant that your hair was growing. It's the same feeling I used to get in that area when I was stretching relaxers. Is this not the case?

I've never had any issues with BT or sulfur as far as breakouts. Do I need to detox my scalp again? Seriously, if this isn't a growth pain, then it's not worth it & the BT will be tossed.

@NJoy I know you're not a part of this thread but I also know that you've been using sulfur for quite some time with good results. Have you ever had the scalp tenderness?

nakialovesshoes, I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on scalps or sulfur. That is out of my league. When I used the boundless tresses my face was inflamed for 2 weeks until I stopped using it. So for me that was an issue. Whatever was in it caused a severe allergic reaction. I've used sulfur before but it obviouslly wasn't at the high percentage that was in that product. That was just my experience. I didn't read any other reviews of people having an issue with it.

And I don't have an experience with scalp tenderness and growth. For me scalp tenderness equates to inflamation. But I have scalp issues from years of relaxers, too hot dryers, etc. I feel that my scalp is healthy when it feels calm, not tight or sore or dry.

I can't give you any advice on this situation because although I've read about it, I don't have any experience with it.

faithVA

I'm still new with the mudwash so still working through what I will do. I remember Naptural85 stating that after using the mudwash for a while she noticed the difference in her crown area which she said used to be a problem but it wasn't any longer. I've decided that I am going to use the mud wash weekly to see if I notice a difference in the hair in my crown. This area has improved since I have been using my oil blend but it is still noticeably different.

So until the end of the year I will use the mud wash weekly only diluting it 50% and will thoroughly massage my scalp with it and leave it on for 30 minutes. I am also giving extra attention to my ends. My roots rarely need to be detangled but my ends always feel bushy and rough no matter what I do to them. And in January I will decide how I want to proceed. Hopefully, I will be able to use the mud wash less often and dilute it more. I won't worry about trying to get the mud wash to last but focus more on getting my hair into a healthier state. Will update how it goes over time.

faithVA

[USER=170358 said:
carlana25[/USER];14253601]@faithVA I currently use a mixture of sulfur, castor oil and mt in my scalp can I still use it after I use the mud wash

I am not knowledgeable enough in either sulfur or mt to advise you in that area. I did not use either of those products prior to the detox they just weren't for me.

I would say do the mud wash and then try the other products out and see how it goes. Listen to your hair.

And perhaps there are some others in the thread that use them.

Chromia

I guess I shouldn't have followed the detox instructions from Terresentials. Today is day 2 and my hair feels squeaky clean, like it does when I use a clarifying shampoo. It was difficult to detangle too. I even had to break out my Tangle Teezer, which I haven't used in months.

Yesterday was my 1st day using the wash, so I did 3 washes in the shower, air dried, and did not apply any products.

Today I did 3 washes again with the Lavender Garden.
My hair is natural with no color.

Today I put conditioner on (Kinky Curly Knot Today) but my comb didn't glide through my hair like it usually does. My hair feels stripped. I guess all of those washes in the first 7 days aren't for everyone.

faithVA

[USER=5045 said:
Chromia[/USER];14254853]I guess I shouldn't have followed the detox instructions from Terresentials. Today is day 2 and my hair feels squeaky clean, like it does when I use a clarifying shampoo. It was difficult to detangle too. I even had to break out my Tangle Teezer, which I haven't used in months.

Yesterday was my 1st day using the wash, so I did 3 washes in the shower, air dried, and did not apply any products.

Today I did 3 washes again with the Lavender Garden.
My hair is natural with no color.

Today I put conditioner on (Kinky Curly Knot Today) but my comb didn't glide through my hair like it usually does. My hair feels stripped. I guess all of those washes in the first 7 days aren't for everyone.

You should have applied some product to moisturize your hair. Apply your leave-in and a butter if you have it.

Doing the detox and not applying something afterwards is not a good idea for most people. And until the 4th day of the detox its hard to tell what your hair really feels like.

McQuay30

I apply the mid wash straight on the crown area but diluted elsewhere, my crown no longer itch nor is it brittle feeling anymore and all aroung feels better, i use the wash once to twice a week depending on how I feel, the ease of it all blows my mind away. I brought some of Tiivan hair oil and added bhringja oil "I believe is the correct spelling" to it, I will see how this works for growth in this area.

McQuay30

Okay I noticed something & think the mud is the culprit. I co-washed night before last & then I applied some BT to my scalp & baggied overnight. In 24 hours my scalp was soooo sore & tender right in the center of my head where my 4z hair is. It still is. Feels like someone tapped me in the top of my head with a hammer. I think that because my scalp is freshly detoxed & the layer of gunk is gone, the BT is penetrating better. What do you think?

UMMMMMM?????? therefore the product will work better and maybe faster results???

Chromia

You should have applied some product to moisturize your hair. Apply your leave-in and a butter if you have it.

Doing the detox and not applying something afterwards is not a good idea for most people. And until the 4th day of the detox its hard to tell what your hair really feels like.
I left my Kinky Curly conditioner in. I put Curling Custard on top of that in some sections to try and make it easier to comb.

I have shea butter around here somewhere...

faithVA

I apply the mid wash straight on the crown area but diluted elsewhere, my crown no longer itch nor is it brittle feeling anymore and all aroung feels better, i use the wash once to twice a week depending on how I feel, the ease of it all blows my mind away. I brought some of Tiivan hair oil and added bhringja oil "I believe is the correct spelling" to it, I will see how this works for growth in this area.

I hadn't thought to do that, add the undiluted to my scalp. I will do that next time. My scalp feels better all around as well. Its still brittle though but I am hoping it changes over time. I am hoping the hair that grows in is softer than its predecessor. :yep: Thanks for the tip McQuay30

faithVA

[USER=5045 said:
Chromia[/USER];14254967]I left my Kinky Curly conditioner in. I put Curling Custard on top of that in some sections to try and make it easier to comb.

I have shea butter around here somewhere...

Yes you need something with some oil to it; Find the butter or use an oil. Even if you applied a little oil to the KCKT that would also assist you.