Dr. Bronner all in one soap for shampoo?

vonte422

So I have bottles and bottles of this stuff in my house and I used it to wash my hair before and it actually felt better than if I used my regular mane and tail shampoo. After reading the thread about the dangers in shampoos I remember that this soap is organic, can be used for anything, oils and citric acid are the only ingredients (sorry its too late for me to run and get the bottle). I have the almond and lavender soaps. Just wondering if anyone tried this to wash with:

Soaps and ingredients are:
Tea Tree Oil Soap-
Water, Saponified Organic Coconut & Olive oils (w/ retained Glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Tea Tree Oil, Citric Acid, Vitamin E
Lavender:
Water, Saponified Organic Coconut & Olive oils (w/ retained Glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Lavandin & Lavender Oils, Citric Acid, Vitamin E
Baby-Mild:
Water, Saponified Organic Coconut & Olive oils (w/ retained Glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Citric Acid, Vitamin E
Eucalyptus:
Water, Saponified Organic Coconut & Olive oils (w/ retained Glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Eucalyptus Oil, Citric Acid, Vitamin E
Peppermint:
Water, Saponified Organic Coconut & Olive oils (w/ retained Glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Peppermint Oil, Organic Mentha Arvensis, Citric Acid, Vitamin E
Almond:
Water, Saponified Organic Coconut & Olive oils (w/ retained Glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Natural Bitter Almond Fragrance, Citric Acid, Vitamin E :grin:

http://www.drbronner.com/drb_soapsandingredients.html

I *LOVE* the peppermint soap they make. I did notice the all-in-one properties they boast about and I've always been curious about using it as a shampoo, but I've been afraid that it would be too harsh. I'll have to try it out. I currently use ABBA Moisture Sensations Shampoo, which is Sulfate-free, but it still has parabens in it. I tried the Avalon Organics Lavender Shampoo, which is sufate and paraben free, but it was too drying for my hair- it left it feeling stripped. Maybe Dr. Bronners will hit the mark.

Last edited:

tyte curlz

I have not tried it but the lady at my local health food store recommends it all the time I have seen shampoo recipes where other things where added for scent and extra moisture.... have to find them and post

Colliecole

I have this soap. When I read on the bottle that it can be used as a shapoo, I never thought to try it. But now I might.....it is all natural:yep:

Right now I only use baking soda once a week, and co-wash when it's a little dirty.

tyte curlz

dr. bronner is basically an all purpose (can even be used as a dish washing detergent) I suggest adding something that is MOISTURIZING to your shampoo some type of coconut, jojoba oil...somethin... these are recipes not laws feel free to add or subtract ingredients. Also since this can be used as a body wash i will be adding Hydrolyzed Oats and Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

WARNING: I AM IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM THE AUTHOR OF ANY OF THESE RECIPES, FOUND THEM ON THE WEB AND THOUGHT THEY WOULD HELP

Natural Shampoo Base Ingredients: 1/4 cup water 1/4 cup castile soap 1/2 teaspoon of (extra virgin) olive oil any flavor EO if you like Method: Mix together all ingredients and place into shampoo bottle.

Essential Oil Shampoo Ingredients: 1/2 cup water 1/2 cup fresh lavender 2 tablespoons of glycerin 1/2 cup Natural Shampoo Base Essential Oils: 5 drops of ANY Method: Mix water and lavender together into a heavy bottom pot and bring to a boil. Let boil gently for at least twenty minutes. Let cool slightly and add basic shampoo mixture and glycerin slowly to herbal mixture.Mix well. Pour shampoo into container and let stand for a few days to allow the mixture to thicken. Use as you would your regular shampoo.

Avocado-Jasmine ShampooIngredients: 1/2 cup Natural Shampoo Base 1/2 cup aloe vera gel Essential Oils: 3/4 teaspoon avocado oil 3/4 teaspoon jasmine essential oil Method:Mix together all ingredients. Place into a clean container preferably with a screw-on lid. Let mixture set for a few hours to allow to thicken and the scents to take hold. Work into hair as usual and allow to sit for several minutes. Rinse as usual and style.

Basic Shampoo for Normal Hair Ingredients 1/4 cup water 1/4 cup liquid Castile Soap 1/2 tsp light vegetable oil Instructions Mix all ingredients until well combined. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Massage through wet hair and into scalp. Rinse well.

Scalp-Soothing Shampoo Ingredients 3 bags chamomile tea 3 bags peppermint tea 1 cup water 2 Tbsp liquid Castile soap 1 tsp light vegetable oil. Instructions Bring water to a boil. Steep all six tea bags for 20 minutes. Let cool to room temperature. Remove tea bags and add liquid soap and vegetable oil to brewed tea and stir until well blended. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Massage generously into hair and scalp. Rinse well.

Moisturizing Shampoo for Dry or Damaged Hair Ingredients 1/4 cup liquid Castile Soap 1/4 cup aloe vera gel 1 tsp glycerin 1/4 tsp light vegetable oil Instructions Mix all ingredients until well combined. Store in an airtight container at room temperature, and shake before every use. Apply liberally to wet hair and let sit a few minutes before rinsing well with cool water.

Lightening Shampoo for Natural Highlights Ingredients 1/4 cup liquid Castile Soap 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice 1/4 cup water 1 tsp lemon zest Instructions Mix all ingredients in saucepan over medium heat 1-2 minutes until heated through but not boiling. Cool to room temperature and strain out lemon zest. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Shampoo hair as usual, rinse well.

Herbal Shampoo for Dandruff Relief Ingredients 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary 2 Tbsp fresh thyme 2 Tbsp coconut flakes 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar 1 cup water 2 Tbsp of liquid Castile soap 1 tsp light vegetable oil. Instructions Bring water to a boil. Steep herbs and coconut flakes in boiling water for 20 minutes. Let cool to room temperature and strain solids from water. Add other ingredients and mix until well combined. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Apply amply to wet hair and massage into scalp before rinsing well with cool water.

Last edited:

MissLawyerLady

Several years ago I used to make a homemade conditioner that consisted of avocado, olive oil, some other ingredients, and Dr. Bronner's castille soap. It was a great conditioner so I think the castille would be okay- just rinse well.

Cleve_gryl

Ohhh, I love the liquid peppermint soap...makes me all tingly :look:. I'm going to try some of the recipes posted here for my hair!

eunique

a girl on my floor (in my dormitory) just bought this last week. we had a big discussion about its billions of uses, i don't think she's used it as a shampoo just yet, but we did wash our hands. lol.

vevster

It may actually clean it a bit too well. Its very concentrated, so be sure to add something moisturizing to it like oil so it doesn't strip your hair all the way down :ohwell:.
I'm going to make the Dry hair care shampoo but also dilute it before use.

I hope I love this!!!

Lucky's Mom

:lick:Love the Stuff!!!

Castille is all I use on the naps. Castille or Baking soda - I left all other shampoos 2 yrs ago.

Creme of Nature - was ( now that they are changing it) would be my only other choice of desparation.
For me, The key to a great shampoo experience is to dilute....... I diluted CON for years as well. My hair never feels stripped.

Iamhim

I have this soap. I bought I tiny bottle of the peppermint for $2.00 at Target. It's great stuff. A little bit goes a loooooooong way! All I gotta say is dilute, dilute, dilute! I usually put a little squirt of it in a cup of water. Follow it with a good conditioner and you're good to go!

Iamhim

I have this soap. I bought I tiny bottle of the peppermint for $2.00 at Target. It's great stuff. A little bit goes a loooooooong way! All I gotta say is dilute, dilute, dilute! I usually put a little squirt of it in a cup of water. Follow it with a good conditioner and you're good to go!

Iamhim

after diluting, you still get a good lather?

Yes, get a lather. I don't think you'll get a "good" lather. This soap is very strong, if you do get to the point were you have suds everywhere you definitely have used too much. (I personally think that's the case will all shampoos)

Barbara

Princess
I used it to bath with and on my hair (first wash). It is concentrated so it has to be diluted, and it works fabulous on my type 4a/b hair . . . no complaints from my stylist. :dance7: