Mud Hair Wash=NO DC?

nakialovesshoes

Okay...so I got in the shower a few minutes ago & rinsed the mud, finally. As I was rubbing my hair, it was actually squeaking. I realized that my hair was "squeaky clean" & just needed some product. They say when you want to hide something from black folks, put it in writing. Well, I only read this thread. I didn't take the time to read the info on the Terressentials website. I, somehow, thought that you shouldn't add any product & if so very minimally. So I wasn't moisturizing my hair at all. SMH

Anyhoo, once I realized that the detox had indeed worked & there wasn't a need to go any further, I decided to follow up the mud w/an AO Rosa Mosqueta Cond co-wash. My hair felt like butter after I rinsed.

So now that I've stripped all of the bad stuff off & I won't be using any more bad stuff, how often do you ladies think I should be using this mud? What are your usage plans post detox?

faithVA

So I wasn't moisturizing my hair at all. SMH

I was wondering where you were getting that from :lol: I think a few of us went 1 wash with out product to just see what it was like.

And I think we did assume :ohwell: that people would read the stuff because it was a LOT of info that couldn't be repeated.

So now that I've stripped all of the bad stuff off & I won't be using any more bad stuff, how often do you ladies think I should be using this mud? What are your usage plans post detox?

Its time to listen to your hair now and get on the nakialovesshoes plan. I use my mud whenever I wash. But I don't necessarily have a set time for that. I usually wash weekly but sometimes it doesn't feel like it needs it so I may just cowash.

Naptural85 I think washes every two weeks.

Without the synthetics and heavy products I think you will find that you can vary your wash.

Just wash as you usually would.

JC Jane

How are you using it? Are you doing the 3, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1 or are you doing 1 wash and leaving it on an extended period of time?

Are you diluting it 50/50 with water?

What are you putting on after you wash?

I am trying to do everything by the book, following the directions as pit forth by terressentials. On the first day I did three washes. I kept the first of the three in my hair for about an hour or more. The second day I performed three washes again leaving the first of the three washes in for over two hours.

The directions recommended using one of the companies oils, lotions or creams as a leave in if you experience dryness but being that I didn't have that I used Jane Carter Nourish and Shine on damp hair.

I wanted to wash again yesterday but there has been too much going on and I won't have another chance to do so until maybe Thursday night.

Oh, I have been diluting the mud about 50/50 during the last wash and used a mud to water ratio of 1/3 the first time around.

faithVA

[USER=185806 said:
JC Jane[/USER];14230393]I am trying to do everything by the book, following the directions as pit forth by terressentials. On the first day I did three washes. I kept the first of the three in my hair for about an hour or more. The second day I performed three washes again leaving the first of the three washes in for over two hours.

The directions recommended using one of the companies oils, lotions or creams as a leave in if you experience dryness but being that I didn't have that I used Jane Carter Nourish and Shine on damp hair.

I wanted to wash again yesterday but there has been too much going on and I won't have another chance to do so until maybe Thursday night.

Oh, I have been diluting the mud about 50/50 during the last wash and used a mud to water ratio of 1/3 the first time around.

Ok sounds good. If you are going to do all of the washes, then you don't have to leave the wash on for that long. When doing multiple washes I left the last wash on for 20 minutes. I really think that is all you need.

And you may need something different than the Jane Carter. It's great for styling but its not the best to use for a leave-in or moisturizer.

So you are on the double washes now. Wash, rinse. Do 2nd wash, optionally leave it on but just do 20 minutes and rinse. Apply a leave-in, moisturizer, butter, ceramide oil if you have them. AVG and oil will do. Just something to add some moisture.

Last edited:

hair4today

:sweet::thankyou: @theNaturalWonders for breaking your process down in such details. Hmmm the main difference I see is that I need to pre-poo, mud wash instead of shampoo and DC for longer with and without heat. I usually don't add honey to my henna just oil and water so will try that also. Hope this works to combat dryness otherwise I might just look into the Morrocco Method henna that faithVA mentioned.

ETA - your braidout and colour looks terrific btw.

Last edited:

faithVA

:sweet::thankyou: @theNaturalWonders for breaking your process down in such details. Hmmm the main difference I see is that I need to pre-poo, mud wash instead of shampoo and DC for longer with and without heat. I usually don't add honey to my henna just oil and water so will try that also. Hope this works to combat dryness otherwise I might just look into the Morrocco Method henna that faithVA mentioned.

ETA - your braidout and colour looks terrific btw.

I get lazier and lazier by the day. I have shortened my process considerably

I boil the tea when I wake up.
Apply the mudwash and leave it for 20 minutes
Prep the henna
Wash out the mud wash.
Let my hair air dry for 30 minutes
Apply the henna and let it sit for 2 hours
Rinse and either do an oil rinse or condition for 20 minutes
Then prep for styling.

If I can figure out a way to shorten this I will be doing so. :yep:

JC Jane

Ok sounds good. If you are going to do all of the washes, then you don't have to leave the wash on for that long. When doing multiple washes I left the last wash on for 20 minutes. I really think that is all you need.

And you may need something different than the Jane Carter. It's great for styling but its not the best to use for a leave-in or moisturizer.

So you are on the double washes now. Wash, rinse. Do 2nd wash, optionally leave it on but just do 20 minutes and rinse. Apply a leave-in, moisturizer, butter, ceramide oil if you have them. AVG and oil will do. Just something to add some moisture.

Thanks for your reply faithVA! I think I will do just that and leave the mixture in for less time. I do have a few ceramide oils and the like and AVG also, I want to stay as close to the site's instructions as possible so I have to look through my leave ins and there ingredients to determine the most appropriate choice.

Will keep everyone posted!

LadyMacgyver

i prepared my henna mixture the night before so that the color can be released over a 12 hour period. i used 4 green tea bags and 2 red zinger tea bags that had cooled down somewhat but was still a little warm and stirred it in. then i covered it up and placed it in an area where it wasn't too cool. i made sure i completely detangled my hair the night before. i did prepoo with an oil mixture i made and placed my hair in 6-10 large twists. next day i used acv on my scalp to get rid of any buildup, rinsed, then used the mud wash as a shampoo. took the henna added some honey and olive oil to it and applied it to each section like a relaxer. covered it up with several plastic bags and my head wrap and kept it in for 6 hours. rinsed throughly. shampooed with giovanni 50:50. rinsed again and then applied my darcy's botanicals pumpkin conditioner with olive oil and castor oil. stayed under dryer for 1 hour and then just left it in for another 2 hours and then washed out and braided my hair up with aloe vera gel and some KCKT and sealed my ends with my shea butter mix and was good to go---talk about time consuming!!! :lol: but i haven't experienced any dryness so i guess i did ok:grin:

ETA
to add pic of my 4 day old braid out after detox and henna

Beautiful... Looks so soft..

LadyMacgyver

Thanks @theNaturalWonders for this tip. I've henna before but its drying and takes time for my hair to get It's moisture back. I do have a few more henna questions...what order in the process did you use the mud wash...did you apply before or after henna how long did you leave the henna in your hair, if I recall Curly Nikki does overnight applications, also did you pre-poo? TIA

Doing a Henna Gloss is more moisturizing.. That is what I have always done but I haven't done it yet since using the mud.. Only thing is with the Henna Gloss have to add a conditioner with the henna my issue is finding a condtioner that is all natural b4 I use to use any kind of conditioner..

Lucky's Mom

I really liked Naptural85's video. Nice! I won't be buying that mud wash. I have some clay - and I use lots of Aloe on my hair... =) I will try that!

allmundjoi

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT, can you cc me too. Lol. I am curious as to others thoughts on pH. I also emailed her (Terressentials) regarding mud wash and it's effect on natural, heat damaged hair...still no response. :(

Eta: sorry, just saw your last post.

hair4today

t
i don't think that's an issue @hair4today.... pH balancing has been on the forefront of higher end cosmetic lines for years, I don't think that's what she meant. I think she and Naptural were conversing on so many topics and the info and MISINFORMING:grin: going on, that they mentioned the science of hair book...and then other vids:rolleyes: surrounding those topics, and tons of other stuff:yep:

she's a small company <--(in her eyes, not mine) with huge footprints throughout the industry, due mostly to her their beliefs and their crusade against products routinely produced, marketed, and distributed to women & young girls with extremely dangerous ingredients (and many more contaminants)
She's had a huge fight to even sit on the boards of which she sits, but is so angry that so much of the truth is hidden, and how little is enforced about hair/body products and the deception. Her story itself is courageous as her crusade and passion for protecting the earth (and especially the women and girls in it) began from her being a cancer survivor

I think physicians connecting her health to what she was using and likely caused her disease ignited a fire that has now become a 20 yr history of research, lobbying, fighting, and overall learning how to make earth a safer place (especially from the vultures she claims in the vitamin/supplements, cosmetic, hair industries etc.) She insists the vitamins & supplements are of the worst
Her knowledge of chemicals and ever better-- chemical reactions is extensive at the very least! She is adamant ...and i mean adamant about the dangers many of us forget when MIXING chemicals (products) and putting them on your head, body, face day in and day out<--- those dangers has for her resulted in countless countless diseases... day in and day out SHE FEELS primarily because the ingredients are deceptive, the ingredients are often poor from the start, and even more-so the consumer creates more of an issue not knowing what toxins are produced when makeup is mixed on your face, hair products are mixed.:whyme::whyme:etc. etc. She is a beast i tell ya!!! :lol::grin: and she uses the chemical name for every thing she says..... every thing she mentions she breaks it down (meanwhile I have the chem degrees not her:lachen:... and couldn't keep up)
@tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT! Thanks for the explanation. The owner sounds like a real crusader and passionate too which is wonderful. She certainly seems to walk the talk. Imo the best way to win against the big cosmetics company is to keep creating alternative products that deliver results. I'd say she has a winner with the TE mud wash. She'll get more people to convert to her way of thinking simply because it works. Look at this thread as an example, a few people chimed in about the product and now most of us are considering adopting simpler, healthier alternative to our haircare regimen. I think also she needs to come across more user friendly to people who are intersted in learning more (the info on the site comes across a bit harsh imo). If she's really that passionate, maybe she'll agree to a forum discussion here on LHCF - most of us are new users just trying to figure out how to incorporate the mud wash in our haircare regimen. I think it would be great to have the owner/creator join us here for a forum discussion to answer our questions and clear up misconceptions. Probably wishful thinking given she doesn't respond to emails but it would be something...

Last edited:

faithVA

@tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT! Thanks for explanation. The owner sounds like a real crusader and passionate too which is wonderful. She certainly seems to walk the talk. Imo the best way to win against the big cosmetics company is to keep creating alternative products that deliver results. I'd say she has a winner with the TE mud wash. She'll get more people to convert to her way of thinking simply because it works. Look at this thread as an example, a few people chimed about the product and now most of us are considering adopting simpler, healthier alternative to our haircare regimen. I think also she needs to come across more user friendly to people who are intersted in learning more (the info on the site comes across a bit harsh imo). If she's really that passionate, maybe she'll agree to a forum discussion here on LHCF - most of us are new users just trying to figure out how to incorporate the mud wash in our haircare regimen. I think it would be great to have the owner/creator join us here for a forum discussion to answer our questions and clear up misconceptions. Probably wishful thinking given she doesn't respond to emails but it would be something...

That's a big battle to wage. I think if she stays her course and provides education and a good product things will change slowly. We can slowly see the food industry making changes and natural and organic segments are growing. And more and more people are making the switch because of their children and their own health issues.

She is actually in a good place. A good product with very little competition. If she marketed differently then it would grow quicker but thats only if she wanted it to grow. Sometimes too much business is bad :lol:

hair4today

Doing a Henna Gloss is more moisturizing.. That is what I have always done but I haven't done it yet since using the mud.. Only thing is with the Henna Gloss have to add a conditioner with the henna my issue is finding a condtioner that is all natural b4 I use to use any kind of conditioner..
LadyMacgyver - do you know think the AO conditioners qualify as all natural given its an organic line. I have the Honeysuckle Rose variety - always hated the smell so don't use it much but it might be a good option for a henna gloss. I've never done a henna gloss before. It would be a more moisturizing for my hair but wondering if incorporating a conditioner would limit dye uptake on grey hair? Hope you have great results -- let us know how your henna gloss turned out.

youwillrise

I started detox. I did one wash last night that i left on for 15 mins, then after rinsing that, i put more on and kept it overnight...rinsed when i got up...did a short mud wash this am. My hair feels sort of stiffish now, but i read the site and hopefully as i continue the detox, things will begin to loosen up and the gunk will be removed to reveal softer, healthier hair

faithVA

[USER=8533 said:
youwillrise[/USER];14231825]I started detox. I did one wash last night that i left on for 15 mins, then after rinsing that, i put more on and kept it overnight...rinsed when i got up...did a short mud wash this am. My hair feels sort of stiffish now, but i read the site and hopefully as i continue the detox, things will begin to loosen up and the gunk will be removed to reveal softer, healthier hair

Be careful with the extended washes. I know a few people have done that. But it doesn't say to do hours on end of the mud wash.

Do the multiple washes and/or the extended washes up to an hour. You really don't need to do more than that.

hair4today

I started detox. I did one wash last night that i left on for 15 mins, then after rinsing that, i put more on and kept it overnight...rinsed when i got up...did a short mud wash this am. My hair feels sort of stiffish now, but i read the site and hopefully as i continue the detox, things will begin to loosen up and the gunk will be removed to reveal softer, healthier hair
youwillrise don't forget to seal in your moisture after each wash, you don't want to dry out your hair. Good luck with your detox and keep us posted on your progress.

faithVA

[USER=259646 said:
Ashawn Arraine[/USER];14232299]Hi ladies,

Does anyone think this mud wash can be used on a child as young as 5?

Just my opinion but I think it is probably a better alternative than commercial shampoos for a child since they are still growing and their bodies absorb things at a greater percentage than an adult.

LadyPBC

OK I got the mud wash on Sunday and here's how my detox has been going:
Sun: 2 washes
Mon: 1 wash
Tue: no wash
Wed: gonna try to do 2 washes

or should I just forget about the detox? My hair too is dry but I don't remember reading that I should add product. I've been adding flaxseed gel and oil or shea butter and my hair feels wonderful (somewhat waxy) and soft when wet but when it dries (especially mid day) it feels so thirsty. what ta do = what ta do?

faithVA

[USER=165094 said:
LadyPBC[/USER];14232381]OK I got the mud wash on Sunday and here's how my detox has been going:
Sun: 2 washes
Mon: 1 wash
Tue: no wash
Wed: gonna try to do 2 washes

or should I just forget about the detox? My hair too is dry but I don't remember reading that I should add product. I've been adding flaxseed gel and oil or shea butter and my hair feels wonderful (somewhat waxy) and soft when wet but when it dries (especially mid day) it feels so thirsty. what ta do = what ta do?

I understand that everyone can't do the seven days but is there a reason you have varied the suggested detox?

The waxiness is probably the synthetic residue on your hair. If you follow the detox schedule it will wash out.

Doing 7 days of detox can be a little taxing but doing the 3 washes and 2 washes back to back should be doable and you will have better results.

And you do need to keep your hair moisturized while doing the detox with a good leave-in, moisturizer or butter.

youwillrise

Thanks guys...i really just did the first overnight because i wanna have it done by the weekend...i dunno if it makes a difference, though.