Healthy Hair from the Inside Out

HeChangedMyName

I was thinking today about us and our many hair OCD. Many of us go to extreme measures to protect our hair and prevent damage. That got me to thinking. . .is our hair really all that healthy if it can't withstand being left out of a bun; or if we must DC twice a week, Cowash 7 days a week, and avoid shampoo like the plague. Does all that signify a problem within the hair itself? Many of us cringe at the site of a brush or any comb that is not wide toothed.

I've seen growth in my hair over the years and since joining the board, I have learned to take better care of the hair on my head and keep it healthy looking. BUT if I fall off of my hair game, my hair looks a mess and suffers great damage.

I want to learn more and perhaps challenge myself to grow my hair healthy from the inside out. I want the kind of hair that is just strong, flexible, retains moisture well, etc.

Anyone up for the challenge. I haven't thought this out, I'm sleepy and it just came to me to come here and post this. But anyone want to go on the healthy hair from the inside out journey with me?

In reading this article, I keep seeing Omega 3, B-12, Biotin, Vitamins A and C, and Zinc. Could these be the key? And lets not forget water. water is good all around.

Last edited:

HeChangedMyName

MSM lengthens the growing cycle of the hair
Biotin thickens the hair
Omega 3 speeds up the growth process
Zinc is for cell production and maintenance
Vitamin A is necessary for protein synthesis(which we know hair is made of a protein called keratin)
Vitamin C is necessary for healthy blood flow(which is at the source of hair growth. Vit C also helps with MSM absorbtion)

BoaterGirlKim

From the inside out indeed! When I look back at what changed in my lifestyle before my 2-year period of massive breakage, it was that I stopped taking my 1 multivitamin a day...AND I stopped exercising. I knew nothing about pre-pooing, co-washing, deep conditioning, moisturizing & sealing, etc., but had a glossy head of shoulder-length hair using only Optimum shampoo & con, Isoplus Wrap Lotion as a leave-in, and Kemi Oyl, and I blow-dried, hot-ironed, and relaxed to death! Vitamins, exercise, and plenty of water...don't sleep on them! You don't have to overdose on the supplements or the gym either - a little on a regular basis goes a long way!

HeChangedMyName

I agree it's not necessary to over do it on the vitamins. I am in luck. I take joint support for my knees and MSM also, I take fish oil for my immunity and B12 and C already. I need to be more disciplined in taking better care of myself and subsequently my hair.

Neala21

I noticed my hair health changes when I'm taking my vitamins and have my Flax Seed Oil as well drinking plenty of water. I've so been slacking and have been trying to motivate myself to get back on my healthy game inside and out. I just need motivation. If Its a challenge please count me in!! My Early New Years Resolution it to be Healthy (exercising, eating right and growing healthy beautiful hair)