Healthy Hair from the inside OUT!! What are you eating??

Jewell

Actually I started to type a response like this just before you posted and chickened out.

For years I was on strict diets/lifestyle changes/health kicks whatever you wanted to call it, eating what I "should" eat because of something I read or heard about. I was thin and so was my hair.

Now I eat whatever I want. Today I had diet coke for breakfast, 2 slices of pizza for lunch, popcorn, poptarts, and chocolate covered pretzels and 3 more diet cokes throughout the day, and a tofu and veggie stirfry for dinner :lol:

I just had a baby - gained 60 lbs during my pregnancy and was back in my size 2s after 4 months eating like this
I actually did have an eating disorder and I know my experience is not typical. I find that I really can't focus on what i'm supposed to eat because I obsess about it too much
Health is important to me. Weight is not. I eat healthy when I can (hence my dinner tonight) and I take vitamins, but what's most important to me is being satisfied and keeping my belly full.

I actually BCed (to 1 inch) the same time I decided to stop worrying about what I ate as a sort of therapeutic/symbolic thing. Here's my hair less than 2 years later

leiah

LOL, wow, I gained 60 lbs as well during my pregnancy (got up to 170), and dropped ALL of that in 3 mos, but that was due to STRESS, and not eating properly. The weight just fell off me, and I was barely 110 lbs. Had trouble the last 2+ years getting back to 120 lbs +. (my daughter is almost 3). I didn't have an eating disorder--I'm just the type where when I get stressed out or depressed (Baby Blues), I don't want to eat.

My docs kept monitoring my weight, and now it has finally stabilized, where I'm at my healthy weight (around 120-130 for 5'2"). I like to eat just to be satisfied and for energy, although I don't like oily foods...I don't really "deprive" myself of anything, I just stay away from too many sweets (more for health and keeping good teeth than anything else, lol)...so I agree with you about feeling satisfied and having a full belly! [SIGH] that sure is a comforting feeling! :lol:

As for the OP:

I eat LOTS of protein. Sometimes I get a bag of beef jerky and go thru the whole bag in 1 day (15 grams of protein in that bag alone). I also love to boil eggs and eat them with salads or other meals, as I know for my body increased protein intake means increased hair growth. :look:

I cook with healthy oils like EVOO, soybean oil, grapeseed oil, and will soon be trying red palm oil for some frying. LOVE beans and leafy veggies, and grew up eating it all from broccoli to zucchini since I'm anemic (need the extra folic acid and b-vitamins). I take about 10 diff supplements, mostly for health, not just hair. And, I get lots of carbs and vit. C. The vit. C has really kept me healthy...no colds or infections in over 10 months.

The best way to have healthy hair is to take care of the inside and outside of the body concurrently; the "outside" would mean good hair care practices/healthy hair care.

**But for real, I LOVE the following and eat these items often (sometimes daily), without a care in the world:

chicken wings/hot wings
hot sauce or salsa picante on EVERYTHING I eat
chocolate bars with almonds
butter pecan or butter almond ice cream
salt and vinegar chips
real cheese "goldfish" crackers
fudge-striped shortbread cookies
french fries
Arby's roast beef sandwiches
fried chicken, fish, and pork
pork bbq ribs
parmesan angel hair pasta
pasta, pasta, pasta with marinara sauce
pork bacon and scrambled eggs
steak and eggs
pretty much EVERY type of seafood (beach gal)
ham steak and eggs
slushies (peach, strawberry, cherry flavors)
personal pan pizzas (cheap, $0.89 kind)

--sorry if I made yall hungry but I just wanted to say that I know about the healthy eating, but hell healthy eating is expensive! Sometimes a sistah just wanna have a basket of hot wings and some fries for dinner. :lachen: I eat junky at times, but God wanted us to enjoy life...:blush:

Hair will grow regardless, but I do take good supplements and try to watch my fat and sodium intake due to high BP and heart disease in the family.

Last edited:

Janet'

No beef or pork
Grain-fed, free-range chicken
Green veggies for dinner (asparagus, salad with romaine or field greens or spinach, or something of the like)

I do need to up my water intake because I don't drink nearly enough...

Supplements
1. Prenatal vitamin
2. Super B Complex
3. Omega 3 and 6 Fish Oil
4. Hair, Skin, and Nail Vitamin

I try to stay away from prepackaged foods (too much sodium and preservatives)

ETA: I'm working on my lunch eating habits because I will NOT EVER do a fast food burger, but I will eat a 12 pc hot with lemon pepper sprinkles like WHAT?!! :look:

Last edited:

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
woooow and to think I thought I was doing enough for my hair. :( Maybe I will watch what I eat in 2012. Nah, I'm probably lying. sigh... one day though.

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690

Loverain

I'm sort of surprised at people cutting out dairy and saying they've seen an improvement in hair, skin, nails. I thought calcium was good for your nails? Unless you're replacing the dairy with dark greens, I guess? I think those have a high amount of calcium, right?
I'm confused. Lol.
I need to get my life together!

Milk does contain a high amount of calcium, but it also has a high amount of protein. In the body protein is extremely acidic causing the body to release calcium from bones to alkalize the blood. Put plainly milk is not a good source of calcium, vegetables are because they are alkalizing.

Im a big time juicer. I love cucumber juice, its a naturally high source of silica. We all know silica is great for hair growth.

When you juice vegetables the chlorophyll found in them cleanses the blood. This allows the body to properly absorb nutrients. I juice spinach, broccoli, sprouts and apples on a daily basis. It works wonders not only for hair, skin and nails but in keeping the body healthy and preventing diseases such as cancer.

Loverain

@Loverain
Does the juice taste good?

Its an aquired taste. I had to start off slow by doing 60% fruit and 40% veggie. Now im able to do 90% veggie 10% fruit. I have learned that some veggies have stronger taste than others. Spinach and cucumbers are mild, while broccoli is really strong. I always add half an apple or pear for sweetness. I recently made a juice for friends consisting of broccoli and pear, and they couldnt stomach it, so its not tasty to everyone.

The benefits of juicing are incredible, I truly believe juicing will prevent my body from aging inside and out. My goal is to be 60 and hot like leroy from the X factor :yep: