LONG & STRONG from the INSIDE OUT CHALLENGE!!!!

Jassy28

CHALLENGE WILL BEGIN ON SUNDAY APRIL 6
Post you begining stats and/or pics, reggie e.g. what foods you are eliminating, vitamins you are taking etc.
Make at least one post a week to share your progress.​
Hey Ladies!

I was on BHM the other day and came across a interesting challenge, Growing hair from the inside out. I checked the board to see if we had any challenges going on like this, I didn't find anything so I decided to start one. Anyone interested?

We all do our best taking care of our hair externally, so now lets start working on our hair internally. By improving our overall health we can acheive the length we are working so hard for.

To take the internal approach to hair growth we need:
  • water: 64+ oz/day
  • Protein: fish, eggs, yogurt and bean are some good ones
  • Fruits & Veggies: green and yellow are a good source of beta carotene.
  • Vitamins: multi., hair skin nails, biotin
  • Exercise: At least 3x/wk f/ 20-30 min. This improves circulation, which promotes hair growth.
  • Rest: 6-8 hours of sleep each night. Try to keep a consistant sleep schedule. Proper sleep also reduces stress, which hinders growth.
No-No's for hair growth:
  • Caffine: try to stick to no more than 1 cup/day.
  • Sugar
  • nicotine
  • Alcohol
  • junk food
  • fast food
  • Diets hight in trans fat retard hair growth.
So, lets pick a start date and get our hair growing. I am thinking, April 6th for a start date. Let me know what you think. I will post rules also, feel free to add you input.
Long and Strong from the Inside Out!
LET'S DO IT LADIES!

Participants:
Jassy28
ummyaz
Sweetg
Embria
growinstrong
MsGardner78
phy173
Hair Iam
locabouthair
jrae
naturalsigma
angeleyes3b
MrsWatson
Channie Babie
opiateLP
MrsJersey
tylertown
Joyful1
prettyfaceAND
daephae
FindingMe
Kay.Dee
sweetsuccess
Traycee
talata
Eisani

Last edited:
Sounds good,but I disagree with the high fat part.Fats are essential for hair growth as long as they are healthy fats....Protein,eggs,fish,olive oil...etc....Omega 3's are the best things for our hair and skin and they are only found in fatty foods like salmon and nuts.Fat keeps our skin moist and supple.Trans fats are bad.Those are the kinds that are found in baked goods like cupcakes and pie and also in microwave popcorn.

I'M IN!!

No-No's for hair growth:
  • Caffine: try to stick to no more than 1 cup/day.
  • Sugar
Got work on decreasing the above though...

I'm down.
I would like to co-sign on the fat facts. There is an article all about trans fats and where it's hidden. I'll look for it and post it.
Also, I'm going to stay away from High Fructose Corn Syrup too.

I'm in. I started working out again four weeks ago and am seeing amazing results. High cardio... I'll have to work very hard on the caffenine. I NEED IT!!!!:drowning: If I don't get it, stay out of my way. Anyway, I'm in.

I'm in . I'm in to my second week of Jenny Craig, I also belong to a lunch time salad club at work. I'm already religious with my vits, I'm at the gym 3 times per week 45 mins on the Elliptical . I'm getting plenty of sleep between 7-8 hrs per night. I do need to step up my wanter, my counselor at Jenny Craig say 1.5 L ot 2 L per day..:fat:

COUNT ME IN

Sorry, the bad fats is what I was refering to. I should have made that clear. Thanks
Oh, are you joining the challenge?

Sounds good,but I disagree with the high fat part.Fats are essential for hair growth as long as they are healthy fats....Protein,eggs,fish,olive oil...etc....Omega 3's are the best things for our hair and skin and they are only found in fatty foods like salmon and nuts.Fat keeps our skin moist and supple.Trans fats are bad.Those are the kinds that are found in baked goods like cupcakes and pie and also in microwave popcorn.

Thanks, I edited my original post to make my statement clearer. High fructose corn syrup. Its crazy how many things you think are healthy have this in them. Its a good thing to take out of your diet.

I'm down.
I would like to co-sign on the fat facts. There is an article all about trans fats and where it's hidden. I'll look for it and post it.
Also, I'm going to stay away from High Fructose Corn Syrup too.

Wow, seems like you are on the right track. The lunch time salad club sounds like a great idea, I like that. I have trouble with enough water at time too. I find it helpful to always carry water with me, I drink way more that way. I also make sure that I finish my bottle of water with each meal. That really helps me.

I'm in . I'm in to my second week of Jenny Craig, I also belong to a lunch time salad club at work. I'm already religious with my vits, I'm at the gym 3 times per week 45 mins on the Elliptical . I'm getting plenty of sleep between 7-8 hrs per night. I do need to step up my wanter, my counselor at Jenny Craig say 1.5 L ot 2 L per day..:fat:

COUNT ME IN

I'm in. I started working out again four weeks ago and am seeing amazing results. High cardio... I'll have to work very hard on the caffenine. I NEED IT!!!!:drowning: If I don't get it, stay out of my way. Anyway, I'm in.

Have you tried drinking Green Tea instead. It's a lot healthier for you.

Count me in!

Green tea is a good choice. It has less caffeine and correct me if im wrong but it takes longer to process. If this is true I would guess that you wouldnt have the crash that you often get from caffeine. :look:

I wanna join, but I'm very new at this...I don't even know what type of products I should be using, I really need help wit that so if anyone could please:blush: lol...But I'm in, I tried that no fast-food & only last two days sad I know...

I know how you feel, its hard trying to figure out what your hair needs. But you will figure it out, it just takes time, and you have plenty of support here. Oh, what is your hair type and what issues, if any are you having?
I wanna join, but I'm very new at this...I don't even know what type of products I should be using, I really need help wit that so if anyone could please:blush: lol...But I'm in, I tried that no fast-food & only last two days sad I know...

I'm SO in!

I've gradually gotten myself to this point. I've been eating healthy, not only is the junk food just bad for me, it's MURDER on my skin. I'm on multivitamins, I JUST picked up some Biotin this morning, and I'm pushing myself to exercise more. I usually only get one or two sessions in a week, so that has to change. I don't like the taste of tea, but I have a box of green tea (bcuz it works wonders on dry scalp). If anyone could suggest something to help with the taste I'd greatly appreciate it. :yep:

Hey Ladies!

We are going to officially start the challenge on Sun. April 6th. This gives everyone time to prepare and get what they need, so we can have great success.
Here are the challenge rules:
1. 64+oz water/day
2. 6-8 hrs sleep/night
3. Take vitimins daily
4. Exercise 3-4x/wk
5. Increase protein
6. Eiminate or greatly reduce foods on no no list
7. Eat lots of veggies

Also:
Post you begining stats and/or pics
Post your reggie e.g. what foods you are eliminating, vitamins you are taking etc.
Make at least one post a week to share your progress.

If there is anything that I am missing please let me know. Thanks and HHG :grin:

1-2 sessions is more than I get. The only exercise I get is walking to my classes on campus, lol...what a shame. You dont have to drink tea. Is it that caffeine you are looking for? Try B-12, this supplement boost energy. I love tea, I usually add splenda to sweeten it, but honey is good also.

I'm SO in!

I've gradually gotten myself to this point. I've been eating healthy, not only is the junk food just bad for me, it's MURDER on my skin. I'm on multivitamins, I JUST picked up some Biotin this morning, and I'm pushing myself to exercise more. I usually only get one or two sessions in a week, so that has to change. I don't like the taste of tea, but I have a box of green tea (bcuz it works wonders on dry scalp). If anyone could suggest something to help with the taste I'd greatly appreciate it. :yep:

Thank you so much lol, I really don't know my hair type haven't gotten that far...But my edges are thin VERY thin, my back is real short, if I oil my hair an hour later my hair looks dry, I have slit ends and alot more lol I really need help...My pics are attached, sorry their not that good...

Attachments

• IMG00098[4].jpg
    IMG00098[4].jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG00099[3].jpg
    IMG00099[3].jpg
    5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG00101[2].jpg
    IMG00101[2].jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG00113[1].jpg
    IMG00113[1].jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 5
Are you DCing (deep conditioning)? Also CO washing really helps with with moisture. I really think that improving our diets will really help our hair. I too have some of your same issues, and looking back I know I have had a very poor did. Im sure we wont see immediate results, but I know they will come and they will be lasting. :grin:

Thank you so much lol, I really don't know my hair type haven't gotten that far...But my edges are thin VERY thin, my back is real short, if I oil my hair an hour later my hair looks dry, I have slit ends and alot more lol I really need help...My pics are attached, sorry their not that good...

1-2 sessions is more than I get. The only exercise I get is walking to my classes on campus, lol...what a shame. You dont have to drink tea. Is it that caffeine you are looking for? Try B-12, this supplement boost energy. I love tea, I usually add splenda to sweeten it, but honey is good also.

I walk to work also. It's a 45 minute walk. I have no other choice, but I walk briskly so it's works as cardio. That's 3 times a week other than my workouts. So I feel as long as I go to work, I can skip a session or 2. I have to stop thinking like that lol. The first time I posted I typed other than honey in parenthesis, but I got signed out for some reason. Thought I typed it again. Can't stand the taste of honey.:nono: Honey flavored things, yes, but raw honey is gross. I figured I'd drink the tea for the antioxidants, but I figured sugar and sweetners would defeat the purpose. I'll try it though. Maybe I could go to the organic food store and find some natural berries or something to throw in there. :lick:

Hmm...dont have any other ideas on that one. I have never tried barries in my tea, but I sounds like it could work. Why dont you just ace the tea. If you dont like it...no big deal. I cant stand milk, and would never even try to drink it :nono:. I just get my calcium from other sources.

I walk to work also. It's a 45 minute walk. I have no other choice, but I walk briskly so it's works as cardio. That's 3 times a week other than my workouts. So I feel as long as I go to work, I can skip a session or 2. I have to stop thinking like that lol. The first time I posted I typed other than honey in parenthesis, but I got signed out for some reason. Thought I typed it again. Can't stand the taste of honey.:nono: Honey flavored things, yes, but raw honey is gross. I figured I'd drink the tea for the antioxidants, but I figured sugar and sweetners would defeat the purpose. I'll try it though. Maybe I could go to the organic food store and find some natural berries or something to throw in there. :lick:

I'm so IN!! I'm also part of the cardio for your hair challenge so this should fit right in. I'm doing pretty good as far as my workouts its just my bad eating habits that I need to work on. Fast food and sugar are my vices :nono:

Only when I go to the salon which is probably one once every 9 months she deep condition sad I know, I don't know any type of products thats best for me...I see other people regimen but I'm scared it might not work or mess up my hair more you know...

Are you DCing (deep conditioning)? Also CO washing really helps with with moisture. I really think that improving our diets will really help our hair. I too have some of your same issues, and looking back I know I have had a very poor did. Im sure we wont see immediate results, but I know they will come and they will be lasting. :grin:

OOOh this is a great challenge. I am trying so hard not to join. I don't want to commit to anything I'm not too sure I can do. I don't take vitamins and I usually don't get more than 3-4 hrs of sleep daily- I know shame on me. :nono:

But maybe this challenge will help me get on right foot........

Back