Jacked Up Hair or Healthy Hair-What do you see?

janeemat

Since the "Good Hair" movie, there has been so much talk and comments about our hair. Some I agree with and some I don't. Since being a part of the board, the one thing that I do observe now is hair; in the mall, the grocery store, in passing, etc. I do most of my observing on Sunday morning in church where the biggest crowd of AA ladies gather and where all of the ladies hair is "done", you know what I mean. Well, I hate to announce this, but we have some jacked up, overprocessed dried up damaged hair. Most of us are clueless when it comes to taking care of our hair. It's some beautiful heads of healthy hair on this board, but in the real world it just not happening:nono:. 95% of the women hair that I observed could really use a class on the dos and don'ts of healthy hair. I really wish all women would join this hair board and learn how to obtain healthy hair. Chris Rock could have had a field day in my congregation. So what are you ladies seeing when it comes to our hair, jacked up or healthy.

I went to a conference yesterday and all I saw were brittle, thin, hair and I am not even talking about AA women because there were hardly any.

I usually come across jacked up hair on black women when it's not weaved. It's just so dry and lifeless.

I live in london and when i'm on the bus all i do is look at peoples hair. I saw one girl today on the bus who had really nice hair. Most other peoples was jacked up. There was a girl in my lecture yesterday who had some straight kinda bushy dry weave- looked a mess.

Since the "Good Hair" movie, there has been so much talk and comments about our hair. Some I agree with and some I don't. Since being a part of the board, the one thing that I do observe now is hair; in the mall, the grocery store, in passing, etc. I do most of my observing on Sunday morning in church where the biggest crowd of AA ladies gather and where all of the ladies hair is "done", you know what I mean. Well, I hate to announce this, but we have some jacked up, overprocessed dried up damaged hair. Most of us are clueless when it comes to taking care of our hair. It's some beautiful heads of healthy hair on this board, but in the real world it just not happening:nono:. 95% of the women hair that I observed could really use a class on the dos and don'ts of healthy hair. I really wish all women would join this hair board and learn how to obtain healthy hair. Chris Rock could have had a field day in my congregation. So what are you ladies seeing when it comes to our hair, jacked up or healthy.

I thought I was the only one who did that. I have to agree with you, most of the heads I see are dry, broken off and lifeless.

I see beautiful heads of healthy hair everyday.

I do see more of the fried, dyed, and laid to the side though.

Miss*Tress, I'd have to respectfully disagree. Many Indian women, Latina women, and Asian women have nice hair. Especially Indian women, otherwise "we" wouldn't buy their hair in bulk the way we do.

Last edited:
In my networks: healthy "done" hair. On campus, it's a mix of both. Out and about, it depends on what part of the city I'm in. :yep:

I see a lot of jacked up AA heads on the street or on the train.

When I go out to restaurants, lounges, clubs etc, I see more healthy heads.

In college and in law school, most of the AA girls had healthy hair.

I'm starting to believe there's a correlation between AA w/ health hair and class and/or socioeconomic status.

In my observations, girls in what would be described as the "hood" were more likely to have jacked up hair than not.

I see a lot of jacked up AA heads on the street or on the train.

When I go out to restaurants, lounges, clubs etc, I see more healthy heads.

In college and in law school, most of the AA girls had healthy hair.

I'm starting to believe there's a correlation between AA w/ health hair and class and/or socioeconomic status.

In my observations, girls in what would be described as the "hood" were more likely to have jacked up hair than not.

Oh really:look: I sure don't see all the healthy hair you are speaking of. What city are you in. I would love to see this. I was at a college football game over the weekend:nono:. I really don't think it is a hood thing. In general we just don't know how to properly take care of our hair.

I would have to say that I see 40% jacked up, 30% healthy and 30% I can't tell because it's a wig or weaves.

Unfortunately I have also seen jacked up wigs and weaves. :nono:

lately, i've actually seen quite a lot of healthy hair! its surprised me as well but i think quite a few people are beginning to get the hang of their hair- and the ones i see who don't are usually either weaved up, braided up, or have a short rihanna style cuts which sometimes looks like they've got heat-damaged, thin, sad strings of hair plastered to their scalp and face with gel :(

I just moved to Columbia sc, and I don't know what's going on down here they either got basket weaves for hair or they look like they had a fight with the perm/brush/blowdrier and it won! DISCLAIMER: this apply to the heads I have seen, NOt TO EVERYONE in SC!! LOL ! oh and you can't find any decent product stores I have to go to the uppity part of town to get some giovanni " oh whole foods how I miss thee"

I see beautiful heads of healthy hair everyday.

I do see more of the fried, dyed, and laid to the side though.

I'm going to make it my business for the rest of the week to hunt some beautiful heads of healthy hair. I'm going to focus on AA. I think I will stop by the old hair salon that I used to go to for starters. There are only 2 ladies at my church that I can honestly say have a beautiful head of healthy hair. One is natural and other is relaxed. The relaxed lady is 50ish and have her hair rollerset. The natural is in her late 20's. Both are really nice.

I just moved to Columbia sc, and I don't know what's going on down here they either got basket weaves for hair or they look like they had a fight with the perm/brush/blowdrier and it won! DISCLAIMER: this apply to the heads I have seen, NOt TO EVERYONE in SC!! LOL ! oh and you can't find any decent product stores I have to go to the uppity part of town to get some giovanni " oh whole foods how I miss thee"

Girl I'm in Columbia SC! You are NOT lying. I'm glad you came in on this thread.

In my part of the world, i see a lot of women with healthy hair and a lot that have hair in need of serious help. It's about 50/50.

Since i've joined the board the first thing i notice about a women is her hair... i just can't help it..

That's why I don't understand women that get offended by the chris rock movie the fact of the matter as we have all noticed in this board healthy hair practices are not common yes there are healthy heads but in comparison there is a need for much more improvement!!

I see dry, crusty, thirsty, thin, extra gelled hair EVERYDAY. Not to mention the terrible quik weaves. OMG. I be LOL to myself so hard. i hardly ever see nice hair. Matter fact the only nice hair I have seen was some naturals. And then I saw this one girl with MBL hair but it was greasy and limp for my tastes.

I see both but I'm not going to be knocking anybody about hair care because if you weren't taught how to care for it, then where would you learn. All I'm going to add is that I'm glad to be a part of this group and I try to encourage my family and friends to vist this site to learn what they can about hair care.

That's why I don't understand women that get offended by the chris rock movie the fact of the matter as we have all noticed in this board healthy hair practices are not common yes there are healthy heads but in comparison there is a need for much more improvement!!

I think the issue with the Chris Rock movie is that the movie is doing more to open black women up for ridicule AGAIN than it is to help educate black women on how to take better care of their hair.

While I do see quite a few non-black women with jacked up hair. I must say, we are the worst!! All sorts of dried, fried, chewed up, bad weaved up HAM everywhere!!

Yeah. Mostly jacked up. If not jacked up then pretty short. I tend to see healthier hair on college than in other places.
I agree with whoever said the things about asians is right. THey don't have much variety (usually black and straight) but it is usually very healthy. Latina women is usually 50/50 and the same with yt women. Kinda of ot, but if i see one more woman come to class with hair dripping wet...

Oh really:look: I sure don't see all the healthy hair you are speaking of. What city are you in. I would love to see this. I was at a college football game over the weekend:nono:. I really don't think it is a hood thing. In general we just don't know how to properly take care of our hair.

New York.....

Miss*Tress, I'd have to respectfully disagree. Many Indian women, Latina women, and Asian women have nice hair. Especially Indian women, otherwise "we" wouldn't buy their hair in bulk the way we do.

i 100% agree. i work with quite a few, and their hair is gorgeous. my asian co-worker was asking if i was going to cut my hair, and she was telling me how she cut her hair to ear length 2 years ago, and i was in shock, b/c her hair is down to her waist almost now, and she's really tall. i was like, well dang, how fast does your hair grow? lol. and my indian co-worker was asking us if her hair was falling out and breaking off, and we looked at her like she was crazy, b/c her hair was soo thick and and long. it really got me self concious about my edges, b/c i realized for in my observation, only aa women have these broken off super short chewed up edges and sides. and i realized, wow, your edges are supposed to be as long as the rest of your hair. lolol :lachen:

Back