Excercise and Hair Care Support Thread

turnergirl

I wear a lot of twists and braids so that I can just rinse. But when I have rollersets and things I go into the gym with a really tight bun or 2 bantu knots. Since my hair is natural, retaining curls is really easy. I co-wash a couple of times a week and keep it moving.

Ms Lala

I am getting some great tips here. I am natural and my hair has been looking a frizzy mess since I started working out 6 days a week.

PinkSkates

I workout and skate at night. Since it's hot and humid right now, I shampoo, condition and moisturize after every workout. I'm wearing 2 strand twist right now; and my hair is thriving with the daily washing and no heat. Now when falls come, I'll go back to pressing my hair; which then I will shampoo once a week; and keep my hair in a ponytail or bun when I skate.

gabulldawg

Hey. I don't know if this was mentioned already in this thread, but I am getting a sew in tomorrow and I would like to know how I should take care of my hair and the weave while exercising. I'm hoping that it should be easier (?). Please let me know, ladies. Thanks!

bLackButtaFly

gabulldawg... I've never had a sew in, so I'm not sure how you should take care of it, but I know my friends alwasy just say to keep your hair clean, b/c you can get that musty weave smell if you don't:look::nono:, but I would think it would be easier than having your hair out too.

I'm back on teh work out grind after a couple days break today now that I don't have the soreness from my triathlon. I'm preparing for a half marathon in October, so I'll be back full force with the buns and twists till half way through fall, which works for me since I'm hiding the hair til Dec.

gabulldawg

BUMPING for answers to my question about how to maintain a sew in while working out. I know someone knows...:look:

bluefolli

Anyone's hair not growing while working out? Mine has stopped. I'm trying to figure out why and I think my increase in working out is somehow the culprit. Not sure how, but I'm looking into things...

InJesusName

I needed this thread. I got a dom blowout with my relaxer last week, so this week was OK with wearing my hair "out". I just put it in a ponytail while I worked out and added a few carusos afterward. I rollerset my hair on my own this morning (not half bad for a change), but I'm worried about what my hair will look like after tomorrow's work out. I'll see if pin curls work. Otherwise, I'll go back to bunning.

My edges are thin, so even if I have a bun, when I start to sweat the broken short edges revert (I always sweat out whatever I use to make my buns). Oh well...the benefits of working out way outweigh being cute (sometimes).

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Hi Ladies!

I just started working out again after a long haitus. I am reaching 50 and between age, and eating/drinking good , a new love affair and taking vitamins I have packed on some serious pounds:nono:

I workout after work or in the morning. I was wondering if anyone thinks that adding a conditioner or oil to my hair while working out and then rinsing daily be too much?

I am fine/thin with shoulder length relaxed hair.

gmaria

We all know how hard it is to keep our workout schedules up when it comes to hair. I'm a hairstylist of 19yrs and have been a gym rat for16, I love the gym, we have a love hate relationship:yep:

I have natural hair and have battled going to the gym and still maintaining a hair style. I have resorted to weaves which I loved because they were very easy and beautiful. It also gave my hair a chance to grow.

I now wear it down and it's still natural. I wear it in wet set such as duble strand twist or straw sets. It's a style that is very easy to maintain and you can sweat and it still looks good. I get a lot of compliments from men especially.

As for relaxed hair do sprial curls. The fuller your hair is it's easier to mask any mistakes the sweating brings. If its long enough you can twist it up for work which looks nice...

gabulldawg

We all know how hard it is to keep our workout schedules up when it comes to hair. I'm a hairstylist of 19yrs and have been a gym rat for16, I love the gym, we have a love hate relationship:yep:

I have natural hair and have battled going to the gym and still maintaining a hair style. I have resorted to weaves which I loved because they were very easy and beautiful. It also gave my hair a chance to grow.

I now wear it down and it's still natural. I wear it in wet set such as duble strand twist or straw sets. It's a style that is very easy to maintain and you can sweat and it still looks good. I get a lot of compliments from men especially.

As for relaxed hair do sprial curls. The fuller your hair is it's easier to mask any mistakes the sweating brings. If its long enough you can twist it up for work which looks nice...

Good idea, gmaria! Are you saying to set the pincurls before you work out and then let them down afterward?

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I'm going to start working out 2 days a week, in the morning, before work. Has anyone tried using dry shampoo after their workout? I'm really concerned about the salt buildup.

Ms Lala

Thanks for the tips. I've never tried a straw set.

skipper

when i run i usually wear an elastic headband and then i use one of those no damage nylon scrunchies to put my hair in a pony tail and curl the ends under

but towards the end of a relaxer stretch i wear a lot of buns and co-wash

prospurr4

Regarding the "red" portion: I totally agree with this, and it's what I actually do, especially during my latter weeks post relaxer. Spiral sets allow me to workout/sweat as much as I want and still maintain a decent style.

mikisha

Hi I'm new also and I have the same challenge but I put goddess braids in my hair every two weeks I dont know what shampoo to use or condition my hair is shoulder length but I get a perm and my ends trimmed every seven weeks but she cuts it back to the same legth.
Hi Everyone,
I've noticed that a few posters (myself included) have mentioned the difficulties of working out while trying to grow our hair. That in mind, I thought that I would start a support thread for those of us who are trying to workout and keep in shape while growing out our hair. Any tips that you have will be warmly welcomed :grin: .

I'll start with my tips. I am still learning and am a tryo beginning my hair journey compared to some of you maestros, but I will put in my two cents: Before coming to this board, I would work out at least five days a week and try to blow dry my hair hair and roots after each workout to hold on to my Dominican rollerset. I would also wash my hair every 7-14 days.
My hair has grown by increasing the number of times I wash my hair each week. I now wash at least two days a week, more if I get the itchies, and ALWAYS deep condition under a heating cap after each wash. So my hair is being deep conditioned twice a week at least. Also, I dropped the blowdryer and have cut back from my once a week Dominican rollersets. Instead, I let my hair airdry with UBH moisturizer, Bumble and Bumble Leave In, Oils and other conditioners and keep it in a bun. It would be too much for me to be trying to rock a Dominican rollerset when my hair and scalp are getting sweaty every day.

I hope that more of you will share your tips.
All the best,
Tryn2growmyhair

shtow

Bantu knots were working, but after reading of how damaging this style can be if done every night, I resorted to 2 strand twist (which I hold by a clip at the end and then clip up so my hair isn't peeking out my scarf). This really helps and doesn't look bad after working out. I just re twist before bed. When I work out, I dont wear a scarf, I just use a HUGE clip to clip my hair up, and then I use the scarf while in the shower (under my satin lined shower cap). This helps in smooth down sum. I dont wear the scarf while I work out because I read the friction causes breakage.

Cheleigh

I simply resolved myself to the fact that a choice has to be made between great looking hair and working out. I choose working out and just co-washing my hair or rinsing it after each workout and wearing wash and go's with PHHB holding it back. Don't really know what else I can do at this point.

I prefer morning workouts as well - gets my metabolism revved up and roaring! BTW my workouts lately (just started back this past Monday) consists of running on my treadmill. Am looking for an elliptical machine to purchase so I can cross train.

Me too--I workout in the mornings and usually co-wash. I did do a rod set one night and it lasted two-three days. I do a bootcamp or outdoor jog so I workout outside in the elements--my hair doesn't really have a chance for success outside of co-washing.

YvonneL

I work out 4 to 5 times a week and i am a 4b natural. I tried to wear a flatiron and it was ok til the second day. I wore it in a ponytail on top of my hair . I wore a silk scarf over my edges and that seemed to work. I then washed and conditioned that following day.For me the workout one over . I wear two rows of human hair singles and a removable half wig in the back just for style.Theres a lot of cute guys at the gym:yawn:Im thinkink of flat ironing once a week when i take my 2-3 days off. what do you think?

Tenacious

I exercise for 45 - 60 mins a day, 6x a week. I must wash or co-wash after working out. As far as my workout hairstyle, I sleep with my hair baggied and tied down with a scarf. In the morning, I just get up and go.

Post-workout, I immediately shower and co-wash/or shampoo my hair. I must since I don't have a dry scalp. My scalp does secrete oil, despite my curly hair. It's confusing but washing or rinsing immediately after workout has helped eliminate product buildup. Also I put nothing on my scalp, ever.

I just rebaggie after every shower. This has been good on my scalp and my hair growth. I will have photos, btw in 2 weeks.

gabulldawg

I've started wearing wigs since I'm in the long haul of my 3 month stretch. It makes it very easy to work out. I was and DC my hair once a week and braid my hair up in two cornrows. I leave my hair like that under the wig and just take the wig off while I'm working out. It's great and very convenient.

MissRissa

I got so frustrated with the hair thing that I stopped working out. I had been sick of wearing my hair in wash n gos for so long, plus it's cold. I have really fine hair, which just poofs up horribly at the slightest sign of sweat/humidity. I've tried pulling it back into ponytails but all the hair near the roots gets all gross and poofy. not even wavy, just gross. then all of the rest of the hair is in some state of straight. Tying it back doesnt help and i've read that tying it back too tightly will make the salt in the hair situation worse because it can't breathe. I'm so frustrated right now, i seriously need some solutions. I'm thinking I might try straw sets. but i hate walkin around with my hair poofy and my roots lookin all afflicted.

Soliel185

I got so frustrated with the hair thing that I stopped working out. I had been sick of wearing my hair in wash n gos for so long, plus it's cold. I have really fine hair, which just poofs up horribly at the slightest sign of sweat/humidity. I've tried pulling it back into ponytails but all the hair near the roots gets all gross and poofy. not even wavy, just gross. then all of the rest of the hair is in some state of straight. Tying it back doesnt help and i've read that tying it back too tightly will make the salt in the hair situation worse because it can't breathe. I'm so frustrated right now, i seriously need some solutions. I'm thinking I might try straw sets. but i hate walkin around with my hair poofy and my roots lookin all afflicted.

Have you tried using a satin/silk headband or folded scarf to tie down the roots? I wear them anyway since I mostly do protective styles and think of them as a way to jazz them up. When I work out, the headband helps to keep my hairline flat so it can't poof - If I'm not going to wash I leave my hair up until it "settles" or dries. Since the length stays relatively straight I usually just have to adjust my headband post workout to look decent. I like scarves and stretchy bands b/c you can tighten them as needed to flatten your hair.