How do you care for hair when exercising/sweating

pressncurl

Hi, everyone! I press my hair for much of the year, and I am wondering if anyone has any tips on how to keep my hair from reverting or at least from getting dry and brittle in between washings when I exercise. During most of the year I walk about 2 miles three or four days a week and I don't sweat a whole lot, probably because my body is used to this. Anyway, now that summer is approaching, I have increased the intensity of my workouts by adding step aerobics and cycling, and I SWEAT A LOT! By the end of my workout, my hair--all except for what is held down by the ponytail holder--is one big "POOF" ball.
[This is part of the reason why I don't do higher intensity workouts throughout the year.]

Now I realize ideally I should probably wash my hair after sweating this much, but I workout like this AT Least twice a week and that would simply be too much heat to re-straighten each time when I usually only press once every two weeks.

My plan was to wear my hair in twists for July and August because they are the hottest months, but I may be doing it sooner unless I get some advice from you guys that tells me otherwise. Your advice may also help me to increase intensity during the rest of the year without the hair woes.

BTW, my hair is mostly 4a.

sweetcocoa

I have to lightly shampoo or at least rinse the sweat from my hair or else I get breakage and my scalp gets itchy. So I do loose buns, loose ponytails, open ended frenchrolls, flats twists back into a pony tail, coils, one large braid down the back... or just let it air dry in waves(although this way I get alot of shrinkage. I wear my hair straight once a month (3 days) during the winter...and in the summer with the humidity...not at all.

ineedmoney

i would press my hair with ultra sheen pressing creme then use a little curl wax on roots and go over it with my flat iron which i use to bump my hair. it helps a little but if your sweating a lot maybe you should switch styles

melodee

What if you don't sweat much. I'm not a big sweater, and my hair stays relatively dry. I am working though, my heart rate stays up there. But do I rinse daily even w/o the sweat?

ineedmoney

well then try my tip that i listed above and se if that works for you. or you can put braids in the front and press the back so your hair line looks neat. or if your gheto just fan your scalp.