Sweat, Excercise, and Hair

MrsHdrLe

I have a pretty simple question, but one that is perplexing me to the ends of the earth:

I have a 5 min texlax on my hair. I love it b/c it is nearly natural and makes very cute tight ringlets if air dried in a pony. But I'm tired of this look already. I don't dare let it air dry loose b/c it is still very natural looking (it's just grazing apl). I want swang too sometimes, but w/o heat.

So how do you all manage excercise and swangin hair? Especially since I heard that it's damaging to not rinse out the sweat from your hair at least twice a week. I want to cowash 2-3x a week b/c it feels so good, but once it dries, it's pretty frizzy. What do you do to have straight(er) hair w/o heat and being mostly unrelaxed? (oh and something that doesn't take a long time to keep up)

NIK

I'm 100% and I usually have my hair in a bun or a braid to minimize the swagging while working out. Finding a cute style when you work out alot is kind of tough.

Last edited:

preciousfa02

when i was working out i would have my hair in high bun then air dry as much as possible before wrapping it helped alot
hth

Tootuff

I work out 5x a week and I find that wearing an sweat band (not cute at all) really helps my hair from getting totally saturated with sweat and I sweat a lot. I then braid my hair when I'm done if I am not going to wash/cowash and I wear a braidout the next day.

FunkyDiva

I'm natural and work out 5-6 times a week. I just put my hair in big twist and pin them back off my face and I'm good to go and my hair is still in tact to go to work (I usually workout in the mornings) or do whatever I need to.

Titansgirl

I put my hair in a high ponytail and add 1 or 2 big rollers to my ends. I do not take down the ponytail until my hair is 80% dry. I sit under a fan to allow my hair to dry.

It's definitely not pretty with the ponytail and the rollers, but I work out at home.

p381

What do you do to have straight(er) hair w/o heat and being mostly unrelaxed? (oh and something that doesn't take a long time to keep up)

Why not blowdry on a "cool-warm" setting?
I'm texlaxed also, but when i wash my hair it's pretty curly.
So if i want a straighter look i just blowdry it out, gel it back & attach my phony ponie or bun it.
That usually works for me.

sunshinne368

I am having the same problem! I sweat a lot! I workout 5-6x week. I do a cowash 3x a week. I rarely wear my hair straight. My hair is in a high bun with a headband on. I want to do a BKT to see if it helps to keep more straight styles! I also noticed more breakage with workingout!

Qetesh

i honestly feel without spending HOURS upon HOURS doing your hair everytime you work out there is no way to really keep your scalp clean and change the texture of your hair.

I work out 3 times a week and i dont sweat alot from my head, more back and such but i get my hair straightened and it still lasts 2-3 weeks granted my hair on my scalp starts to revert, i have not experienced any adverse reactions to this i do oil my scalp with Vatika oil and i dont find that there is any clogging etc.

most of the time tho my hair is natural so a quick co-wash after a work out is fine

MizAvalon

Honestly, I have just given up on this. I exercise 5 days a week and I have accepted that in order to have a tight body that I can't have fresh to death hair on a daily basis. It sucks because I would love to be able to do more with my hair but I just can't be bothered going to all that trouble when whatever style it is is just going to get sweated out the next day.

I wish I knew what else to do.:ohwell:

laCriolla

i spray my roots with aveda light elements reviving mist after my work outs, and wrap while still damp. when dry my hair is as good as new!

i think there is a loooong thread on this.

Sunshine0801

The key to keeping my hair straight when I was relaxed (and working out 5-6 days a week) was to keep it tied down with a scarf until it dried. I will return to this method after I relax (texlax) it soon. :yep:

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I workout in a ponytail or bun and cowash immediatealy afterward. My workouts are scheduled so that I can workout out and before going home.

During the school year, I worked out early in the morning, cowashed at the gym, and had just enough time for it to be just damp by first class.

grnidmonster

I workout 5x/week and i put it in a high bun w/ a head band. I like to at least rinse it but, if I cant I tie it down until it is dry and it is usually straight abd the bun part has a bit of wave/curl. After a rinse, I apply a leave-in and out it in a loose pony, tie doen the from so it lays flat and allow it to dry. Works like a charm.

I am 100% natural and have given up on bone straight hair on work out days. I am really trying to embrass my texture and let the straight go. I am also training my co-workers to be politically correct and not expect everyone to have bone straight hair-that is a whole other thread:wallbash: