Are Naturals out numbering Relaxed Heads on LHCF?

What is your hair?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wofford16

I am a natural head and the reason I became informed about hair boards is because I needed guidance on how to maintain my biracial daughters hair. Once I was blessed with all of this wonderful information I decided that if I was to instill pride in my daughters about their hair then I had to lead by example and I was able to transition myself.

I work for a company that has about 6 or 7 AA females in the entire building and I am the only one who has gone natural. They like how my hair looks but they all assume since my children are hispanic then I am hispanic as well and that is why my hair looks the way it does.

nymane

Relaxed head checking in....well there are over 110,000 members on this board and under 600 votes? I have no clue what the relaxed/natural ratio is :look:

manter26

600 votes is actually a decent sample size...I didn't do the math but I wouldn't be surprised if it's statistically representative of the population. Of course the sampling isn't random so that does take away from the accuracy.

While I joined the board to grow out my relaxed hair, I'm currently natural. Everyone and their mama (literally) thinks they know how to take care relaxed hair. Even those with chewed up ear length hair think they're doing everything right. What's less know are any practices for taking care of natural hair. Perhaps that's why the numbers are the way they are.

Relaxed heads IRL have resources (be that good or bad), while the same is not true for naturals. ...Sometimes I think it would be easier to walk up in a salon with a head full of cheap, plastic, dollar store weave. The stylist would know exactly how to treat and style it...my natural hair, not so much.

AvaSpeaks

As far as going natural being a fad, IRL, from what I see it isn't a fad because most black women aren't doing it. I am the only woman I know who is transitioning. And once the relaxer has completely grown out I will be the only natural black woman I know. Everyone else is wearing weaves, wigs, and relaxer. The wig and weave wearers are not protective styling either.

Going natural is only celebrated on hair boards. In general, most black women don't see going natural as an option. Based on hair boards, going natural and doing the BC seems like everyone's doing it. But in reality not many women are going natural, transitioning, or BCing.

This is exactly my point! And you see it alot on college campuses.

But one thing I have seen and again this :imo: but when some of these women saw that there natural hair was not as "nappy" or "kinky" as maybe it used to be as a kid or as they thought, they are more inclined to stay natural.

But again, after a year or so, I have been seeing ALOT of people going back to being relaxed or with straight hair. Especially after they leave college. So again, I really just think it's a "fad".

meecee

I came to LHCF as a 7 year natural. I'm currently relaxed and loving it. This board is a great resource for all hairstyles, mainly focusing on health. I plan to keep relaxing a little while longer, but I do have my days when I seriously miss my natural hair.

I think the key for me was realizing that my hair is time consuming no matter what. lol.

exoticmommie

Relaxed head checking in.

I am relaxed because I have more versatility with my hair relaxed.

Heat is not my friend, I am always in awe of the women on this board (relaxed and natural) who can use heat weekly. And I am in awe of women who can go to the dominican salons and get a blow out, and their hair not get any damage. The blow dryer (specifically on hot) is my personal enemy. Before this board I never had problems with relaxers, it was always heat. I would put my hair in braids (didn't know it was protective styling) and my hair would grow like weeds. I would then get a relaxer and my hair would be swanging and looking so healthy. People would comment my hair so much. Then I would get heat happy, trying to keep that swang, and end up with damaged hair. I even tried to go natural, but in order for me to be able to do the styles I wanted, I always had to blow dry first. That always ended up with damaged hair. I love rollers sets, flexi rods, caruso sets, and etc. My hair is too tight for me to be able to do those styles without using heat to stretch it out. I have lots of fine hairs. As a relaxed head I can use minimal heat. So for me, stretching my relaxers and cutting out a lot of heat, has been the best thing I have done.

-PYT

I don't think black women going natural is a fad... I believe it's clearly an awareness.

And a CONSPIRACY!!! :sekret:

Real talk, though, when I came back to school after winter break with my little BC, all I heard was "wow, everybody going natural" and i'm like dang! lol

ThePerfectScore

600 votes is actually a decent sample size...I didn't do the math but I wouldn't be surprised if it's statistically representative of the population. Of course the sampling isn't random so that does take away from the accuracy.

While I joined the board to grow out my relaxed hair, I'm currently natural. Everyone and their mama (literally) thinks they know how to take care relaxed hair. Even those with chewed up ear length hair think they're doing everything right. What's less know are any practices for taking care of natural hair. Perhaps that's why the numbers are the way they are.

Relaxed heads IRL have resources (be that good or bad), while the same is not true for naturals. ...Sometimes I think it would be easier to walk up in a salon with a head full of cheap, plastic, dollar store weave. The stylist would know exactly how to treat and style it...my natural hair, not so much.

I am taking a psychology Statistics/Methods course...UGGHHH I hate it... lol Your comment reminded me of something my professor would make us analyze... anyway back to my stats/methods hw... :wallbash: But I do like how you threw in some intellelectual statical commentary! You win points in my book! :grin:

Imani

Definitely not a fad for me. Just made more sense. I have problems with my scalp and a few thin spots, and I was like, so if I'm going to ever get these problem areas fixed, is slapping chemicals on top of them really a good idea?

So it started as I'ma give my scalp a break from relaxers for a few months, and then I was like, hey why not just try to grow it out? I was like, if I don't like it, i could always relax again.

Also I like big hair. I was doing all this extra stuff to try to make my hair look thick relaxed, when as a child natural, I always actually had thick hair.

I have had people ask me, "oh, are u going natural bc of the Chris Rock movie?". And i'm like no, i had been thinking about going natural before I ever heard of that movie. I actually have not seen it.

hair4romheaven

I see more naturals now that I ever did before not on the board but IRL. I am transitioning not sure if it will be to fully natural or fully texlaxed.

Raspberry

I also wanted to add that to some degree going natural is a fad. Anything that has a sudden surge in popularity is "fad". But fads stick. I mean, in the 70's the popular thing was afros. When ppl started trading in their 'fros for relaxers and jheri curls--that was seen as a fad back then. Now look, relaxers did stick and became the status quo for a long time. Hopefully, this natural "fad" sticks and becomes the new status quo, which I think it will as black ppl have become more empowered over the years, not to mention society as a whole has become more aware of health, things we put in/on our bodies, etc.

I agree. Even if a some naturals go back to relaxing eventually, I'm hoping that deeper knowledge of their hair texture and healthier hair practices overall will result in beautiful hair. Hopefully better hair practices will be passed on to future generations as well.

Cause that's what it's all about for me, black women having healthy beautiful hair no matter what state it's in.

ryanshope

I totally agree with Imani. I get so irritate with ladies that continue to relax when they have thinning edges, bald spots, breakage, slow/no grow hair(seemingly). I mean does your hair have to march off your head before you realize...mmh, maybe relaxers AREN'T for me. Instead ladies will spend hundreds of dollars on creams, pills, pomades whatever to achieve hair that they could have by removing one factor....I digress cuz I am not a natural-nazi but common sense tells me something that cause chemical burns may not be the best solution for longterm use(especially if I want to retain my hair).

Definitely not a fad for me. Just made more sense. I have problems with my scalp and a few thin spots, and I was like, so if I'm going to ever get these problem areas fixed, is slapping chemicals on top of them really a good idea?

So it started as I'ma give my scalp a break from relaxers for a few months, and then I was like, hey why not just try to grow it out? I was like, if I don't like it, i could always relax again.

Also I like big hair. I was doing all this extra stuff to try to make my hair look thick relaxed, when as a child natural, I always actually had thick hair.

I have had people ask me, "oh, are u going natural bc of the Chris Rock movie?". And i'm like no, i had been thinking about going natural before I ever heard of that movie. I actually have not seen it.

Eritreladiee

I definitely don't think there's more naturals on this board than relaxed heads. I just think naturals are more vocal and with all the BC's going on, seek more help with their new texture.

Anyways, there really seems to be no point taking inventory. I'm just here to get my hair healthy and long and so far I've learned alot and my hair has really improved in the few months I've been here. Some of you long healthy haired ladies (whether natural or relaxed --- although moreso relaxed because more of them got long hair) are a major inspiration.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Relaxed head checking in....well there are over 110,000 members on this board and under 600 votes? I have no clue what the relaxed/natural ratio is :look:

Many of those members are non-paying members so they can't cast their vote/post :yep:

Not to mention several others who don't frequent this section

Chanteuse

Just wanted to cosign the bolded. The thread title is slightly biased towards naturals - not in a bad way though. It is just phrased in a way that naturals moreso than relaxed heads would be intrigued by it to come into the thread and vote. Therefore it's not a random sample which is what is needed to truly reflect the population here.

I think that a more accurate count could be obtained with a more neutral thread title such as "Are you relaxed or natural? Please vote." lol. No biggie though and I definitley don't think the OP meant to skew the results - but I do believe that they are skewed.

Anywhoo - I am relaxed and I guess after that diatribe I should a least cast my vote in the poll to reflect that. :grin:

ETA: Well now that I have actually looked at the poll - I see that there are seperate entries for transitioning and texlaxed :look::drunk: So yeah - I would definitely take the results with a grain of salt. It is still a cute thread though! :yep:

Last edited:

thehairmaverick

I am taking a psychology Statistics/Methods course...UGGHHH I hate it... lol Your comment reminded me of something my professor would make us analyze... anyway back to my stats/methods hw... :wallbash: But I do like how you threw in some intellelectual statical commentary! You win points in my book! :grin:

:lachen: i skipped statistics today. I don't care for it as much as I thought I did :rolleyes:

Oh and I'm natural :grin:

destine2grow

I am currently transitioning. I decided to do so because I would like to see what my natural hair looks like. I have had a relaxer since the age of 7 or 8. I do not keep up with my relaxers any way. Sometimes I will go 4 or 5 mths with out one. So to me, I should be natural. I am 19 wks in to my transition and it is a lil challenging due to breakage but I am going to keep at it. I think that I will love my natural hair. I can't stop touching the new growth. I don't think it is a fad. I feel a lot of us never had the choice to decide if we want to be natural or relaxed. So we are curious about our natural hair and some of us fall in love with it and stay natural.

purplepeace79

April 6 makes 15 years of nappiness for me. Never wanted a relaxer; it was imposed upon me by female family members. Hated everything about it for as long as I was forced to get them. When I finally took control of my hair, I shaved it off and started over. 3.5 years loose, 5 years locked, 2 years loose, 3 years locked, now almost 1.5 years loose. Never relaxing again. Never locking again.

So glad to see more sistas letting go of relaxer. Really and truly. There are safer alterantives to achieving the straight look. Our hair IS manageable. Our hair IS beautiful. Our hair IS us!

Shadiyah

I never really used relaxers on my hair in my life but I had used jerri curl for years. Before this site I had been natrual for over 6 years but could not understand why I was not really gaining length. My hair would get no longer than past shoulder. I found out the henna was damaging my hair. Since this site I started from scatch again and I learn through you ladies to really take care of my natrual curl. I have to tell you I am so inlove with my hair, like forreal. I don't even want to mess it up with color.

Lynnerie

Natural checking in.

When I found LHCF I was relaxed and said I'd never go natural. I just wanted long hair and it seemed like since my hair was already relaxed I was closer to my goal.

But then I got curious about my own texture after seeing all the natural heads. I did the BC in Dec 08 after an 8th month transition and my natural hair is as long as my relaxed was already.

LisaLisa1908

What 40 looks like.
Texlaxed for probably 15 years. I've had chemicals in my head since '79, but stopped getting it bone straight around '95. Joined the board to learn better hair care practices and went from a salon head to going three times a year for touch ups and trims.

I'm ambivalent about going natural. I'd wear my hair straight most of the time anyway, so I don't see the benefit from a manageability standpoint. I've never had issues with relaxers - my issue was always retaining length past my shoulders, and once I learned about protective styling and protein/moisture balance, I've been good. Ask me again when I get older or move to a warmer climate.

NIN4eva

Relaxed checking in... I BC'd two years ago and have learned SO much from doing research online. But you ladies (and the few gentleman I've come across) are THE BEST! I relaxed again a few weeks ago because now I'm not at all afraid of what will happen when I don't relax. I know how to take care of my hair now whether it's relaxed or natural. Now it strictly DC's and rollersets (still trying to master the latter) I've been lurking here for a while and subscribed today to message a girl who freaking out about recently BCing.

4evershika

Relaxed lady hear (and loving it!). I might possibly go natural one day (maybe...) but no time soon... I get my fill by stretching my relaxers but I don't have the desire to go all the way as of yet.

I knew there were more natural heads than relaxed heads on here but dang!!

ThePerfectScore

As far as skewing the sample... I was thinking with the title phrased as it was that Relaxed people would come to represent! I know if I was relaxed still I'd come in staying... "girl- All day every day and loving my swang!!!!!! Whoop whoop!!".... haha. Rep you hair ladies!!! I love it all.... Healthy hair is the best hair!