Are Naturals out numbering Relaxed Heads on LHCF?

What is your hair?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

carib_n_curly

i'm natural

looking back at the annual cenus naturals have been increasing but i never thought there was this much.
The OP is pointing out an observation. nothing more nothing less.Back when i started to lurk in 2008 until now i've noticed an increase but i wouldn't think it was as much as it is in the poll.

Either way i like seeing healthy hair, relaxed or natural
*off to fotki stalk*

Last edited:

NikkiGirl

When browsing around on LHCF, I do see lots of naturals. I am relaxed, but the naturals may be more in number. Anyhow, I like the threads about natural hair, they are very informative and I still read them. I think more than anything, it is encouraging to see so many doing it and doing it well. I start to think, hey I can do this too. But I still think all hair is beautiful if healthy....relaxed and natural.

prettybyrd

When browsing around on LHCF, I do see lots of naturals. I am relaxed, but the naturals may be more in number. Anyhow, I like the threads about natural hair, they are very informative and I still read them. I think more than anything, it is encouraging to see so many doing it and doing it well. I start to think, hey I can do this too. But I still think all hair is beautiful if healthy....relaxed and natural.

I agree. :yep:

Mandy4610

I am a proud natural. I lOVE the versatility and the fun and amusement I get from my hair. I just seem to enjoy my hair more because it does MORE. It Shrinks, it stretches, it reverts, it holds a twistout, it makes a puff, it lays flat, its puffy, its soft, its casual, its cute, its professional, its a mess, its sleek, it has different textures, I can rollerset, twist, cornrow, boxbraid, updos, coils.....Should I continue?:grin:

I love ALL hair types, Health is the most important.

Last edited:

Geminigirl

Yea it's looking like naturals are out numbering, but what I noticed as far as in the hair section only certain hair types post, or maybe other hair types just outnumber my hair type. Although all naturals are the same I still like to get info from those who have the crazy shrinkage and super tight coily tangly hair I have. That's why I joined Nappturality to get more help with my hair and to see what products people are using in my hair. I only lurk over there cause I'm scare of them..ha. JK

Solitude

It seems like more people I know IRL are going natural. Two of my closest sorors have gone natural. One did a one year transition with weaves and the other is planning to BC soon. I'm relaxed, but I feel like I could transition at any given moment, considering that I've stretched for so long and I'm a complete DIYer now.

It seems like a lot more threads on here are started by naturals because many of them are new to having natural hair and therefore have a lot of questions??? I could be wrong, though. My sis has decided to transition slowly (long-term) and I may just join her.

Precious_P

I am relaxed. I love the way a healthy head of hair looks whether it's natural or relaxed. I know at some point in my life I will eventually become natural. I stretch my relaxers mostly because I have to work up the effort to put them in. I think that going natural is a state of mind, not a fad.

My mother grew up during the 50's and 60's. For the last ten years she has been relaxed and has major problems with breakage and dryness. Her hairdresser talked her into cutting off the relaxed hair and avoiding chemicals for a while. She cover her hair most of the time with hats and weaves and recently mentioned getting a relaxer again. I asked her why she would do that when she had so many issues. I told her to jus stay natural and find a natural hair dresser to help her with care. Her response was "so jsut always wear an afro like the mother in the show Good Times? After much discussion about the various hairstyles she can have with natural hair and the fact that she can grow it out she decided to stick with a natural look. She also said that she is so used to the fact that black women had to blend in as much as possible with their hair. Her aunt ran a beauty salon when she was a teenager and they would do nothing bt press and curls.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I :love: natural hair and plan to TRY to keep my DD natural until she leaves my house and beyond if I can help it. I, however, am texlaxed (relaxed,right?) and intend to stay that way. I've been trying to grow to BSL and am not willing to start all over again. While I wish my hair could be bigger, I do enjoy the versatility of wearing wash n go's, rollersets, or blow outs with little effort beyond detangling around TU time.

LaFaraona

I am natural, my last relaxer was December 2007. Like a number of ladies mentioned it was part of a life style change for me. It started with me changing my diet and what I put in my body and on my body and naturally I started to question my hair "diet". Now not only don't i relax anymore I use mostly natural products on my hair and scalp as I do on my whole body.

MichelleMyBelle

Natural since 1994. I mostly wore braids without hair extensions or twist, buns with olive oil and holding gel. I had this book called Good Hair. It was my hair bible! I transitioned in high school right before prom. Mom was pissed!

I was more to baby my poor scalp then anything because I had health issues. I couldn't relax my hair.

I always used conditioner that was meant to be rinsed out as a leave in. I didn't know I was co washing until I read a book in the early 2001!

I have no desire to relax. But I don't knock relaxed hair. I think some relaxed heads are stunningly beautiful!

I am newly natural.

I BC'd after a year long transition in November.
I DO see that "going" natural is a trend.
Since that "Good Hair" movie, I know of 3 women in my family who have attempted to "go" natural. One relaxed and the other two BC'd.
I really don't know how I feel about it, truthfully.
I wonder how many people who have BC'd in 2009-2010 will stay natural, including me.

I honestly went natural just for the change.
Then, that deg on movie came out and people are asking me left and right am I going to for this new trend...

SimpleKomplexity

Yup. I think the Naturals are making a scene!! I feel a little lost sometimes because many of the questions on the front page are geared towards the Naturals...not my relaxed tresses. I think it's a nice journey. I'm even thinking about transitioning once I reach my goals.

skegeesmb

I think naturals are coming out more too. When I first joined this site, I was natural. I relaxed, but I didn't really know how to do my natural hair. But now I am more knowledgeable in my hair care so I'm transitioning again. I'm almost 9 months into my transition. When my 1 year anniversary comes up I'll have 50% natural hair and 50% relaxed hair.

I can't wait to chop it off!

Tene

I think naturals out number relaxed heads. I think there's a lot more naturals now then when I first joined 6 years ago.

LadyRaider

I didn't know anything about taking care of my hair in Feb. 2008 when I found the black hair community on the internet. I thought I "needed" a relaxer.

After I found you guys, after two months, I decided that getting a relaxer was a way I wouldn't have to use heat. So I relaxed in late April of last year. But I discovered I was still needing to flat iron/blow dry if I wanted the styles I liked.

So at this point I see no need for the relaxer. If I am going to be using the same amount of heat, regardless, what's the point? I don't plan to relax my hair again.

MA2010

Transitioners are the minority due to all the BCs. I thought we would have bigger numbers myself.

Enyo

I have been natural for 10 years and have never once wanted to back to the relaxer. My hair actually grows faster when I don't relax it provided I care for it properly. I've been thinking about getting a straight wig for fun or maybe wearing weave, but I have not straightened in about 8 years and don't miss that either. I'm natural for life.

naturalgyrl5199

Natty natural checking in....I celebrate my 2 year Nappy Anniversary (BC) on June 1, 2010....Went from lil afro to APL in 18 months...now in Month 21...pushing for BSL by June 1, 2010. I am almost BSB when stretched with my hand.....Best decision I ever made...So sad I took so long to do it!