Do any LHCF relaxed heads get offended...

blueabyss333

when they hear someone make an ignorant comment about their natural sistahs? I do. One of my guys friends texted to me today: "Good, because I don't like nappy headed sistahs," after I told him I was getting my hair done. I responded: ...All hair is beautiful especially naturals...I wish I had the patience to be natural.

I thought to myself, "What if I decided to go natural? He later explained that he likes natural and relaxed hair, it's just the stage "in-between" that he doesn't like- as if you can't figure out what to do.

Yes, it irritates me. It's so ignorant that people still believe that something is wrong with the way hair naturally grows out of your head.

I'm relaxed because it's easier to comb my hair that way and like you, I don't have the patience to transition.

Yes, it makes me VERY angry. :mad: I am quick to correct someone for making ignorant comments, that I perceive as self-hatred...... then it turns into a conversation of "if I think its so beautiful then why don't I wear mine that way", and I will proceed to explain how I don't have the patience to grow it out, and also an acknowledgement that I have internalized society's view of Eurocentric ideals of beauty, etc. I am not in denial about this at all, and in fact think its important to understand why I do the things I do. Im not saying that all women who relax do so for this reason..... I speak for myself alone....

But I digress...... yes, it totally repulses me when I hear folks disparage natural hairstyles. Not cool at all, very lame to me. :perplexed

Yes I would be offended.That`s the NATURAL state of my hair and part of my heritage.I was natural for the longest time and I consider going back one day.I love my napps.Even if I decided I would never go natural it would still would offend me,like it would be my duty to relax my hair because other people can`t stand the sight of it.

ella said:
Yes I would be offended.That`s the NATURAL state of my hair and part of my heritage.I was natural for the longest time and I consider going back one day.I love my napps.Even if I decided I would never go natural it would still would offend me,like it would be my duty to relax my hair because other people can`t stand the sight of it.

Amen to THAT girl. :clapping:

I think being on this site really helps us all be sensitive to each other's plight. I get pissed when people are negative about natural hair and when people say negative things about relaxed heads or weaved heads. Heck I guess I just don't like nobody talking negatively about a sister's hair period.

hopeful said:
I think being on this site really helps us all be sensitive to each other's plight. I get pissed when people are negative about natural hair and when people say negative things about relaxed heads or weaved heads. Heck I guess I just don't like nobody talking negatively about a sister's hair period.

Yep, me too.

It upsets me as well because i think natural hair is BEAUTIFUL. I'm relaxed because my first love is LONG hair wheather relaxed or natural. I'd just hate to loose length and start from scratch. Shoot if there was a 'natural' pill that would convert my APL hair to natural...i'd go for it.

Things like that upset me as well, just like when people use the term "good hair"! Ugh! That is awful...and I politely tell them that there is no such thing as "good or bad" hair :eek: and that referencing it that way is perpetuating the ignorance that we've been taught and have internalized. It is truly very sad...:(

I

Yes!! The other day I was arguing with this guy, I told him I was thinking about going natural soon and she was like oh no don't do that u won't look as good etc etc. I went off on him.

Yep! Because I feel like they are dissing me too. The only difference between me and naturals is they are free from chemicals.

hopeful said:

Yes I am with you....It seems as if we get the most flack for our hair. I am transitioning right now and when I tell people, they are like "Why do you wanna do that?" "You can't do anything with natural hair." I simply tell them I am tired of perms and how bad my hair was breaking with perms. Its funny when I tell them about my past problem of breakage...because they touch their hair ...lol

I agree with what everyone says here. I think it is a form of self-hatred and internalizing European's view of beauty. It's sad because I look at hair in a whole new light since I've been on this forum and appalling to hear the thing people will say- and I used to agree with them. I don't go natural: 1) I don't want to have to start over and 2) no patience and 3) I will stand with Kinikakes in that I've partly internalized Euro's beauty standards. But if I could take a pill I would gladly take the natural's hair on here =D.

i do too. at a party, one guy actually asked me why me and my sister didn't go natural because he loved "natural" women. i told him because my relaxed hair is so much easier to comb. i've heard other women saying they wish they had "good hair" as if such a thing exists.

I think that it's sad when anyone puts down another person's hair, regardless of whether they are: natural, transitioning, relaxed, straight, wavy, curly, kinky, etc... :( People are allowed to have their preferences as to what they find appealling to them. For me, it's all of the above!

Thank you KiniKakes*smile*
Mestiza said:
I think that it's sad when anyone puts down another person's hair, regardless of whether they are: natural, transitioning, relaxed, straight, wavy, curly, kinky, etc... :( People are allowed to have their preferences as to what they find appealling to them. For me, it's all of the above!
YES,YES!!

hopeful said:

I totally agree! We as black women go through a lot of sh**. We need to support one another, not put one another down over our choices of hairstyles. :nono:

Don't even get me started on this!

I get so angry when people (even some of my own family who have 3a-3c hair) start talking about good and bad hair. Anyone with my texture of hair can never grow it long etc. I get very offended. I went natural for a few years in college and love it. I colored my hair a million times and it still survived and grew! I had an 6-7 inch fro by the time I relaxed...looking back...why did I do that?:mad: By now I would defenitely have bsl length hair when stretched (but only if I was using LHCF healthy hair methods).

Anyway it makes me very angry, but then again I'm not helping that perception with my relaxed hair :ohwell: . But like you ladies I want to be relaxed right now at this point that's the style I want to rock right now.

blueabyss333 said:
when they hear someone make an ignorant comment about their natural sistahs? I do. One of my guys friends texted to me today: "Good, because I don't like nappy headed sistahs," after I told him I was getting my hair done. I responded: ...All hair is beautiful especially naturals...I wish I had the patience to be natural.

I thought to myself, "What if I decided to go natural? He later explained that he likes natural and relaxed hair, it's just the stage "in-between" that he doesn't like- as if you can't figure out what to do.

YES! ITA! I do get offended and, in fact, I am quicker to notice and admire and lust after a sister's natural hair/hairstyle than I am a relaxed one even though I am relaxed. I just really like it and I keep telling my friends and family I am going natural and that I'm going to buy a natural WIG in the meantime. That would have irritated me too!

RabiaElaine said:
Don't even get me started on this!

I get so angry when people (even some of my own family who have 3a-3c hair) start talking about good and bad hair. .

Oh, I cannot STAND the "good/bad" hair knuckleheads! :mad: I have gotten in debates RECENTLY about that! I had told a sister she should go natural and rock a big, curly fro (she has 3b all over) and that it would be really pretty and she said, "I can't grow a fro! My hair ain't NAPPY!" I was like, "ILL!!!!" This sister is Black. Mixed with Black and Black and she was TRIPPING LIKE I HAD INSULTED HER! (her hair is gorgeous btw, and it would be adorable natural)

Back