Relaxed Heads: Are you a Natural at Heart?

*Muffin*

Is anyone else out there a natural poser like me :look:...:grin:? I was just looking through my fotki and my youtube subscriptions the other day, and I realized that a lot of my inspirations and the people whom I learned a lot from are either naturals or people who incorporate natural things in their hair-care routines. When I first began my hair-care journey I had a lot of trouble with commercial products. They'd work well for my hair one day and my hair would be fighting viciously against them the next. :brucelee: I'm not knocking anything that works for an individual. There are a lot of good product brands out there that aren't 100% natural. But personally, I noticed a drastic improvement in my hair when I started incorporating natural things into my hair regimen. So I started paying attention to certain naturals youtubes and fotkis because they seemed to have the 411 on how to use different herbs, fruits, clays, oils, and even household items in your hair to make it healthy. And even though it should have probably been common sense, I was really surprised to learn a lot of the things naturals do work well for my relaxed hair. So I just wanted to give you props naturals, and also relaxed heads that follow natural routines. You guys helped me out a lot. I'm finally starting to chill and enjoy my hair journey.

Denise11

Me!

And I would be natural if my hair wasn't this long. I can't see myself cutting it, but I use to think about it often.

*Muffin*

Me!

And I would be natural if my hair wasn't this long. I can't see myself cutting it, but I use to think about it often.

My sentiments exactly! I want to be natural so bad, but I love my hair as it is. My relaxed ends are so healthy right now and my hair is looking just how I like it, so it's like I'm torn. I can't see myself shorning my precious locks, so I keep relaxing. I plan on going natural in the future, but as for right now, I'm going to be stalking their fotkis and youtubes and getting my fill of those luscious curls and coils :lick:...:grin:.

Maybe the naturals will adopt me as their cousin :look:.

*Michelle*

Ummm...yes indeed. The ONLY reason I don't is because I haven't found anything to lay my edges down with out being greasy or crunchy. If I find that I will go natural! As for big chop...ummm...NO! I'll be a transitioning mug, for who knows how many years...LOL!

I know I'm so old school...hehe!

Kawaii1

Yes! The only reason I still relax is because my DH prefers straight hair. I know, I know but hair just isn't that important to argue or fuss about. I don't mind the straight hair I just love big hair. I love curls andbody he likes wraps and straight styles (lame).

I love natural products too. I am getting more on that bandwagon. My mom was more about natural products she taught us a lot and now I am moving back to that.

ceebee3

YES! I will go natural eventually but I'm just getting into the healthy hair thing and I'm not ready to BC or transition.

I haven't tried many natural products but I want to start.

*Muffin*

Wow...I didn't know I had company with this feeling, lol. Sometimes I look at my new growth (which is poppin' right now because it's been a while since my last relaxer) and I'm like "so curly, so wonderful!" then I touch my relaxed ends and I'm like "so smooth, so shiny!" and I don't know what to do. I go through this every time I stretch relaxers :grin:.

*Muffin*

YES! I will go natural eventually but I'm just getting into the healthy hair thing and I'm not ready to BC or transition.

I haven't tried many natural products but I want to start.

Please do :yep:. Your hair will thank you for it ;). I especially like Aubrey Organics and Giovanni Direct. I also love playing kitchen-tician. I make herbal tea rinses, ayurvedic powder mixes, avocado masks...I'm just having a blast putting all that goodness in my hair. It's fun :reddancer:.

Last edited:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I started this journey wanting to use only natural products but strayed along the way. I am working on taking my pj stash down to about 85% natural products. I never really thought about going natural until I did my 6 month stretch and I really loved the texture of my new growth. Laying down my new growth isn't that bad but still something I would like to work on. I'm texlaxed right now and I'm still working on getting a good wash and go. I would be a long term transitioner that gradually cuts.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
yep. i always admired natural hair when i had long relaxed hair. i wanted to try it, but couldn't bring myself to cut it. when it broke off from neglect, that gave me the push i needed lol, and i did a bc. now i'm transitioning back to natural and i am a lifer.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Oh and I've also noticed I am starting to really covet natural's hair. I am always looking foward to BC threads. Sometimes I check out their fotkis to see if their natural texture kind of looks like my new growth. I may start lurking in the transitioning threads.

Dposh167

lol....i actually enjoy products made for 'naturals'...more than any other product out there. like Qhemet, curls, etc
I peek into the 'wash and go' threads....trying to do the same thing to my BONE straight relaxed head lol. I even started doing the "conditioner only method" that some naturals do for a washngo...and actually got a positive experience from it.

next on my to-do-list...is kinky curly for 4 month post.(now....i have absolutely NO business trying this product....but the way some naturals have described the feeling they get when using this...i can't help myself)

beana

I love and want my natural hair sooooooo bad!!

If given the decision between healthy, relaxed BSL (my short term goal) and healthy natural SL... i'd take the SL narural in a second. truth be told i hate relaxing my hair :nono:

Aggie

I admire natural hair but I don't really want it for myself. I like the idea of being between relaxed and natural and that's texlaxed and that is just fine enough for me. I have 6 months of new growth sitting on my head right now and to be honest I need to hurry up and reinstall my braids before I grab the relaxer and slap it on. I am trying to stretch 12 months or more so I can have enough new growth to texlax and have a reasonable length of hair still left on my head. I plan to chop off the straight hair after the stretch, however long it is. Kudos to al natural heads though.

Stepiphanie

Me! Me! lol I use alot of natural products, and idolize many naturals on the board. I'm currently almost 4 months post, and I'm loving the curls. I haven't decided yet if I will transition but I did hold off on relaxing for my bday which is a huge deal. I'm goin to bkt this wknd and based on that I will decide wheter to transition or go back to a relaxer

Southern Belle

Muffin (my play cousin from my hometown!:grin:)

Girl. I was just thinking the same thing today while I was out on Qhemet's website. I wanna be natural soooo bad, but it's daunting. :nono:

Since doing a BC is outta the question, it's going to take me a loooooongggg time to transition. And then I started thinking "what if I hate being natural?" or "what if I don't know how to do my natural hair and end up looking like a HAM?" (don't laugh, I've seen it happen.)

At any rate, I have decided to take the plunge. I'm in braids right now - gonna see what my hair is looking like in September when I take them down. That will be like a good 7 months of new growth, and then I'll reassess the situation. :look:

Hopefully I can stick it out.....

unalteredone

I'm always watching naturals on youtube like Rustic Beauty....just to watch, it's not like i can really take much from the videos.

I would love to go natural if it didn't mean fighting with two textures forever or having short hair.

Sweet Charm

I love my relaxed hair and I also love my natural hair, I cant stop playing with my new growth lol

but I don't want to have short hair and I dont want to deal with two different textures

I use all natural products on my hair except for relaxer time
:)

MizzCoco

I def am...I used to be natural, but one day in a fit of frustration, I relaxed. I can't see myself transitioning and BC'ing again, and my relaxed hair is really healthy now so I just stalk the fotkis of the natural heads and try my best not to be jealous! All the products I used to use while natural are still great on my relaxed hair too!

sharifeh

i love natural products like aubreys organic
but im also still attracted to big salon names...

the naturals have made me more curious about my texture
i can't keep my hands off my ng ever :drunk:
i want to stretch longer to see what it actually looks like
i always assumed what it would look like
but the curls of the ng are so cute.... except when they're not :look:
(like when they're tangled and dry)

and i also hate the relaxer process with a passion
but i like straight hair ALOT

oh well :perplexed

*Muffin*

I admire natural hair but I don't really want it for myself. I like the idea of being between relaxed and natural and that's texlaxed and that is just fine enough for me. I have 6 months of new growth sitting on my head right now and to be honest I need to hurry up and reinstall my braids before I grab the relaxer and slap it on. I am trying to stretch 12 months or more so I can have enough new growth to texlax and have a reasonable length of hair still left on my head. I plan to chop off the straight hair after the stretch, however long it is. Kudos to al natural heads though.

I can definitely relate. I love the texture of my NG, but sometimes I'm like "Man, when is it time for me to relax?" My hair is thick, and when the new growth comes in, it's even THICKER. I don't know if I could pull of a long term transition to natural. I'd probably have to do 6 months and then BC, because I'm a no fuss type of person and I'm not rich enough to afford all the conditioner needed for detangling :nono:

Muffin (my play cousin from my hometown!:grin:)

Girl. I was just thinking the same thing today while I was out on Qhemet's website. I wanna be natural soooo bad, but it's daunting. :nono:

Since doing a BC is outta the question, it's going to take me a loooooongggg time to transition. And then I started thinking "what if I hate being natural?" or "what if I don't know how to do my natural hair and end up looking like a HAM?" (don't laugh, I've seen it happen.)

At any rate, I have decided to take the plunge. I'm in braids right now - gonna see what my hair is looking like in September when I take them down. That will be like a good 7 months of new growth, and then I'll reassess the situation. :look:

Hopefully I can stick it out.....

Sup, cuz :wave:! Braids work well. My friend transitioned to natural using braids, The only problem she had was that she was dying to touch her real hair, and keeping the braids in was difficult, but they definitely looked pretty. Stick it out, girl. Can't wait to see some newly natural curls :lick:.

P.S. RIP Parker's Kitchen, Home of the Parker special :cry:

LatterGlory

My love and experimentation with natural products started with wanting to improve my health and well being years ago.

Then I found they worked great on my skin ( clays, fruit peels, herbs, oils ).

Now that I desire hip length hair I have found natural products work wonders on my hair too.

I have fully transitioned about 3 times since I first relaxed my hair as a child .

I have had ear length and BSL hair for both relaxed and natural.

I have also done three 1 year long stretches at various times since I started to relax again a few years ago.

It was not until I started to use natural products ( AO etc... you can view my regimen in my profile under visitor messages ) that my hair ( all three textures natural, relaxed and texlaxed ) looked good with little effort, a few good products and no heat.

Mind you it took trial and error hence experiencing some temporary breakage.

I have always loved my natural hair and DH likes to see is let out and flowing to its full length, I do too and forget about me using all that heat on my hair for pressing or flat ironing.

So texlaxed is perfect! I can do a wash and set with big rollers for the straight look which will not revert and lasts all week and has lots of body or wash and go to rock my curls when I desire.

Plus stretching and no heat are no longer troublesome.

Most commercial products do not give me these options and are generally no good for my health or the health of my hair, I have tried from the cheapest to the most expensive salon brand nothing comes close to the health, strength and flexibility the natural products provide.

However when it comes to relaxers I go to a professional ( tried a few 'natural' relaxers as well... not so great:nono:)

My hair is now the longest it has ever been, even my mother is shocked and everyone is happy:grin:.

Relaxed or natural long, healthy hair is beautiful.

*Muffin*

My love and experimentation with natural products started with wanting to improve my health and well being years ago.

Then I found they worked great on my skin ( clays, fruit peels, herbs, oils ).

Now that I desire hip length hair I have found natural products work wonders on my hair too.

I have fully transitioned about 3 times since I first relaxed my hair as a child .

I have had ear length and BSL hair for both relaxed and natural.

I have also done three 1 year long stretches at various times since I started to relax again a few years ago.

It was not until I started to use natural products ( AO etc... you can view my regimen in my profile under visitor messages ) that my hair ( all three textures natural, relaxed and texlaxed ) looked good with little effort, a few good products and no heat.

Mind you it took trial and error hence experiencing some temporary breakage.

I have always loved my natural hair and DH likes to see is let out and flowing to its full length, I do too and forget about me using all that heat on my hair for pressing or flat ironing.

So texlaxed is perfect! I can do a wash and set with big rollers for the straight look which will not revert and lasts all week and has lots of body or wash and go to rock my curls when I desire.

Plus stretching and no heat are no longer troublesome.

Most commercial products do not give me these options and are generally no good for my health or the health of my hair, I have tried from the cheapest to the most expensive salon brand nothing comes close to the health, strength and flexibility the natural products provide.

However when it comes to relaxers I go to a professional ( tried a few 'natural' relaxers as well... not so great:nono:)

My hair is now the longest it has ever been, even my mother is shocked and everyone is happy:grin:.

Relaxed or natural long, healthy hair is beautiful.

Well spoken, sis, and thanks for sharing your journey :).

Nice Lady

Muffin, I totally agree with you and the allure of being a natural. I myself found like you that the commercial products were not working for my hair(i.e., leaving it waxy, unmoisturized, straw-like, etc)--not all but when I began to use natural based products, my hair quality and texture began to improve drastically within a short-time span. As soon as my funds get loose, I am going right back to my natural conditioners again.

*Muffin*

Muffin, I totally agree with you and the allure of being a natural. I myself found like you that the commercial products were not working for my hair(i.e., leaving it waxy, unmoisturized, straw-like, etc)--not all but when I began to use natural based products, my hair quality and texture began to improve drastically within a short-time span. As soon as my funds get loose, I am going right back to my natural conditioners again.

I couldn't agree with you more, sis. Most commercial products don't do anything for me either, and the ones that did something were quite costly, and eventually my hair would stop liking them for some reason. But I've recently discovered that I could get soft, glossy hair using very cheap ingredients. For instance; heenara (and other ayurvedic powders), coconut milk, and avocados are awesome on my hair, and they are very cheap. They leave my hair feeling amazing moisturized and looking glossy. And simple things like mayo,eggs, avocado oil, and braggs liquid aminos make awesome protein treatments, rivaling even aphogees treatments at a fraction of the cost. And then there are tea rinses, ACV, baking soda. I've learned so much from the naturals and stalking their blogs and fotkis :grin:.

Ladybug33

Me too. I can stay up for hours watching youtube video's of natural hair regimens. I keep swaying back and forth but like most I do not want to let go of my length and would have to transition for like a year+ before a BC.

I was natural years ago and the detangling sessions still haunt me. Shoot, I have to take a break when detangling my 10wk post relaxed hair now.

bludaydreamr

I have always been a natural at heart. When I was 11 I was freinds with twins who have 3a/3b hair, from that point on I have loved natural curly hair. At 18 I wanted to lock, my sister let me know I would hate it and want my hair back to relax it. Since I actually decided to go natural, I don't even go down the aisle with the relaxers at the beauty supply store.

Most of my staples are natural or organic but I went through a lot that weren't to get to this point.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am! I have desired to be natural in the past and kept going back to relaxing because I was frustrated. Now I'm transitioning again. I plan on being and staying natural when I BC this time. That is why I am trying to educate myself on the variety of styles that can be done on natural hair.

Kayluv

Not really. In the big scheme of things, it really isn't that important to me. It's such a small part of life. Hair is beautiful whether natural or relaxed. I like natural products as well as products that aren't.