Are Naturals out numbering Relaxed Heads on LHCF?

What is your hair?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
former natural, now relaxed. I thought about going back natural but I just don't have the patience for it right now. There are still a lot of relaxed ladies here and there are many folks on LHCF who don't visit the hair boards anymore. I only started revisiting the hair board recently myself.

Relaxed and checking in. With the exception of 2 years, I was natural until I was 16 years old. Currently, my hair is as long as its been at any point in my preteen to adult life. I don't know that being relaxed or natural is half as important as using the proper techniques and practices for your particular head of hair.

I started my transition in October 2007.

I became natural in October 2009.

I wish I had gone natural sooner.

:)

Transitioning.
I've been relaxed majority of my life, but have always been fascinated with natural hair. However, ppl have swayed me in the past, with their 'notions' of 'nappy' (ugh, hate that word) hair: it's ugly, unmanageable, etc.

Times have changed. Now since joining this site (and talking to PROGRESSIVE naturals), I've learned so much about natural haircare. Though every head is different, is all beautiful. Can't get that with relaxed heads. (no offense to those who are, JMPO). :)

Natural by choice (meaning no "issue" made me stop relaxing my hair) since 2002. I will never relax again.

i went natural simply because i am very sensitive to relaxers and was tired of the burned skin and heavy irritation (man u shouldda seen my neck; could not even wear a ponytail!)and dandruff that came back within 3 days of washing if not less! i was always afraid and not knowing how to care for it, just didn't think it would work so i put up with all the pain.

i always wanted to go back natural because i loved the ladies with the big curly, poofy hair and i would mimic that on my relaxed- i mean texlaxed hair (my hair was actually texlaxed, but i'm so used to saying relaxed because i never knew it was a real name for it, lol). i really wanted to see my natural texture again so i bc'd several years ago, but used a texturizer that rendered my hair bone straight and not able to hold a curl. i had to let it grow back out.

then i got to thinking: after all that i go through for a relaxer and ALLL the pain- what is it really doing for me?? i still break out the flat iron if i want it straight and in rollersets i still have to iron the roots. with the help of all you lovely ladies i was able to make a decision that was right for me and am still breathing!!!! no more irritated scalp and neck. no more dandruff- who knew?? and i love the versatility of my natural hair. it is the best decision i ever made!! (AT THIS POINT)LOL

Last edited:
I am relaxed. I don't really care about numbers. If someone has beautiful hair or needs motivation I'll give my two cents. :)

Natural! Definitely not a fad for me. I've always been curious about my natural texture. I found LHCF while researching a business idea and decided that weekend to transition. I truly wish I had done it sooner!

It seems that the number of naturals are catching up to those relaxed,but we have alot of lurkers too..so Idk???

I am natural for me it's a personal choice and not a fad :) I got my 1st relaxer at 13 (self relaxed...trying to be grown) Fortunately I suffered no damage or breakage. There was no rhyme or reason ,why on February 23, 2007 I decided to cut of all my hair 3 o clock in the morning. There were days when I really struggled with my self image. For the first few months I had those "relaxers thoughts and dreams". I even went so far as buying myself a relaxer and keeping it underneath my bathroom sink. Fortunately I had caring and supportive loved ones, friends and even co -workers(mostly loc'd) who encouraged me to take it one day at a time. Long story short one day I started loving not only my ever growing afro..but also the new me as I was. My relaxer thoughts and dreams ceased and I've been quite happily kinky/coily/napptural every since:)

I am grateful for my journey because I got to love myself in a way I'm not sure I would've otherwise.

i went natural simply because i am very sensitive to relaxers and was tired of the burned skin and heavy irritation (man u shouldda seen my neck; could not even wear a ponytail!)and dandruff that came back within 3 days of washing if not less! i was always afraid and not knowing how to care for it, just didn't think it would work so i put up with all the pain.

i always wanted to go back natural because i loved the ladies with the big curly, poofy hair and i would mimic that on my relaxed- i mean texlaxed hair (my hair was actually texlaxed, but i'm so used to saying relaxed because i never knew it was a real name for it, lol). i really wanted to see my natural texture again so i bc'd several years ago, but used a texturizer that rendered my hair bone straight and not able to hold a curl. i had to let it grow back out.

then i got to thinking: after all that i go through for a relaxer and ALLL the pain- what is it really doing for me?? i still break out the flat iron if i want it straight and in rollersets i still have to iron the roots. with the help of all you lovely ladies i was able to make a decision that was right for me and am still breathing!!!! no more irritated scalp and neck. no more dandruff- who knew?? and i love the versatility of my natural hair. it is the best decision i ever made!! (AT THIS POINT)LOL

Yes! Why was it that even with relaxed hair I had to use heat to style it!??!? It wasn't worth chemical damage AND heat damage.

Well all I know is that I tried to go natural once.
I went six months without a relaxer but finally gave in.
I was in high school the first time and I remember only seeing like one girl with a fro so during my transition I didn't really have alot of support from my relaxed friends or even my family.
Now that I'm in college I see soooo many ladies with natural hair...many appear to have recently bc'd. And I stop almost all of them to ask them about their journey.
I really want to try again but honestly I'm scared...like seriously...is my head too big, or weird shaped, will my hair be manageble ect.
I think I'll try again but who knows...I'm only a couple of months post.

Natural here, just passed the two year mark.

I don't think naturals outnumber relaxed heads here, I just think some of the more visible members are big chopping.

I also don't think it's a fad. There's simply a lot more information out there now, and with exposure comes change.:yep: I only discovered the concept of natural hair after coming to LHCF. Isn't that something? Sad thing is, I remember there being a few naturals in my classes in high school, and I remember thinking their perms probably didn't take.:lol: It never even occurred to me that they just didn't relax.

Well all I know is that I tried to go natural once.
I went six months without a relaxer but finally gave in.
I was in high school the first time and I remember only seeing like one girl with a fro so during my transition I didn't really have alot of support from my relaxed friends or even my family.
Now that I'm in college I see soooo many ladies with natural hair...many appear to have recently bc'd. And I stop almost all of them to ask them about their journey.
I really want to try again but honestly I'm scared...like seriously...is my head too big, or weird shaped, will my hair be manageble ect.
I think I'll try again but who knows...I'm only a couple of months post.

Trust me as someone who gave in and relaxed at 6 months before... your hair texture during the transition is not your hair texture once you BC... I used to think my hair was 130% Nappy... but it was just being stifled by the relaxed ends. I swear your hair does a 180 as soon as you chop off those relaxed ends.... I no longer think my NG during my transition was an accurate and full representation of my natural texture. BC and fall in love..... :love: and if you don't fall in love hair grows back and relaxers will always be around!

I celebrated 2 years natural on 2/8/2010. My only regret is that I didn't stop relaxing. My hair is so easy to maintain it's ridiculous. I will never relax again.

Natural checking in. :wave: March 1, 2010 will mark my 3-year anniversary since my last relaxer. For me, this is not a fad. It's simply my hair ... and I love it!

:afro:

Relaxed! but I sware every other week I contemplate going natural or I wonder what my natural hair would look like. My sister keeps telling me that I should go natural but I think I'm just afraid of the transition itself. For now I'll remain relaxed but you never really know.

When I first started my transitioning journey back in 2007, I didn't join this site because I thought it catered to relaxed hair and I needed help transitioning. I finally joined mid 2008 and I have noticed that more and more people are doing BC's.

I'm currently transitioning. I was natural back in '03, back then it was a fad for me. Now it's a commitment.

This hair forum is so inspiring! I joined back in '06 to get ideas on how to style my daughter's hair. Now I'm here for me and her.

PerfectScore your hair is BEAUTIFUL.

Just sayin--I never meant that if you're natural/going natural you're doin it cause it's the "in" thing to do. However I believe that for some people that's why they're doin it..

Natural here, just passed the two year mark.

I don't think naturals outnumber relaxed heads here, I just think some of the more visible members are big chopping.

I also don't think it's a fad. There's simply a lot more information out there now, and with exposure comes change.:yep: I only discovered the concept of natural hair after coming to LHCF. Isn't that something? Sad thing is, I remember there being a few naturals in my classes in high school, and I remember thinking their perms probably didn't take.:lol: It never even occurred to me that they just didn't relax.

:lachen::lachen::funny: :lachen::lachen:

*looks at the poll results*
Woah! I keep forgetting we have tons of members here!! Where'd all of you guys come from? :lachen:

I know right... but at like 5:30-6:00 am when I posted and you responded, I thought the thread would get a few responses and then die down, but I figured I'd ask anyway... then I went to bed. When I came home from class today at like 5:00 pm I was totally surprised by the response! I feel like I'm meeting all these people I didn't know were on LHCF! I like this... it's like a family reunion! :grin: Now that I have quote unquote good hair.... good as in healthy, I may even go to a LHCF meeting and meet you guys in person! I def wasn't going to meet any LHCF members in real life having crazy transitioning hair.

I'm currently transitioning. I was natural back in '03, back then it was a fad for me. Now it's a commitment.

This hair forum is so inspiring! I joined back in '06 to get ideas on how to style my daughter's hair. Now I'm here for me and her.

PerfectScore your hair is BEAUTIFUL.

Thank you!! I love it!!!! I'm totally playing in it constantly!

The hair in your siggy collage is friggin gorgeous btw!!!

I did the BC in April of 2009. So, I guess I'm natural unless I have a hair dye relapse (depending on if you consider natural hair as undyed as well).

Back