Cowashing and bunning the key to wsl hair!

kgard7777

I have been a member here for awhile and I realized something. The two things most of the mbl and wsl ladies share on here. They all cowash and bun daily. Only allowing their hair down for special occasions. Anyone else realize this too?

Denise11

Yes. When my hair was at it's longest (between BSL and MBL), all I did was wear a bun. I didn't know anything about protective styling, I just didn't want to deal with my hair.

Toy

I have been a member here for awhile and I realized something. The two things most of the mbl and wsl ladies share on here. They all cowash and bun daily. Only allowing their hair down for special occasions. Anyone else realize this too?

Exactly,what i do.

MoMo

Trust me this works! Retention is unbelievable using this method and you will find that less is more. When I first found this site and started my hair journey, I jumped on every bandwagon and tried every growth aid. I didn't/don't need any of that stuff (except I do love Mega-tek). I have yet to experience a setback in the last 3 years since I started co-washing and bunning daily.

kgard7777

So for the ladies that cowash and bun daily. You don't mind going to work EVERYDAY with a bun? I am sure you get alot of comments from coworkers etc. Not that it matters :look:

MAMATO

Do you detangle your hair everytime you cowash. I'd like to cowash more often but I just dont like the idea of using a comb in my hair too often.

BrooklynSouth

:yep:I agree on these methods. My last months of relaxing I was an avid follower of BABYGURL's bunning method. I had great retention of my length. Now that I'm 15 months into transition, cowashing is one of the greatest things. I'm able to easy comb with my shower comb or fingers with no or minimal hair loss. I look forward to bra length hair with shrinkage.

beans4reezy

I've been cowashing and bunning and I must say this is a keeper. Before bunning and cowashing and I was using a growth aide, but it wasn't until I was cowashing and bunning that I actually noticed that I was gaining length and my hair is becoming so thick it is unbelievable. I'm trying to bun my way until APL in December.

Toy

It does not bother me to where a bun everyday i try to fancy it up from time to time,I do get the comments "saying your hair is long why dont you wear it down,i give them some type of answer to get them off my back.I run a comb through everytime i wash.

MoMo

It does not bother me to where a bun everyday i try to fancy it up from time to time,I do get the comments "saying your hair is long why dont you wear it down,i give them some type of answer to get them off my back.I run a comb through everytime i wash.

Same here. :yep:

MoMo

Do you detangle your hair everytime you cowash. I'd like to cowash more often but I just dont like the idea of using a comb in my hair too often.

I don't detangle everyday because I am 10 weeks post and it is a pain. I usually rinse then add conditioner or I just rinse without conditioner and put my hair back in a bun smoothing with my hands. It all depends on how much time I have to get ready before work. However, I deep condition weekly and detangle using my Denman brush and braid it in one braid or put in a bun. I wash only when I notice buildup or if I wear my hair straightened. HTH

msa

Moisture and protective styles...makes sense to me.

I can't bun without messing up my edges and ponytail holders basically cut through my hair...but braids under a wig works great for me with daily rinsing.

Duchesse

Okay, so stupid question alert...how exactly do you bun?

Do you ladies use a band, then wrap the hair around it and pin? do you donut bun? do you braid the loose hair then pin?

I'm embracing my big forehead and want to start bunning almost everyday, and cowashing is great for working out and transitioning. I did it twice this week and got so many compliments, but I'm a bit confused how to protect the ends while bunned without getting them snaggled.

inthepink

I would say this definitely helps you to get there quickly! Even if it's every 3 days or so, it seems to work.

inthepink

If I don't detangle every single time, my hair will get knots and tangles and then I lose more hair. My hair likes being detangled (gently) every day.

pri

Do you ladies use a band, then wrap the hair around it and pin? do you donut bun? do you braid the loose hair then pin?

I'm embracing my big forehead and want to start bunning almost everyday, and cowashing is great for working out and transitioning. I did it twice this week and got so many compliments, but I'm a bit confused how to protect the ends while bunned without getting them snaggled.

I just take my hair and put it as if I'm gonna ponytail it but wrap it around instead and stick a pin in it.

Demi27

So for the ladies that cowash and bun daily. You don't mind going to work EVERYDAY with a bun? I am sure you get alot of comments from coworkers etc. Not that it matters :look:

When I was doing this for a bit, I never got any questions from anyone. I only got the questions the few times I wore my hair out.
I didn't have too much success bunning, though (even though I wanted to)....maybe when I come out of braids and my hair gets a little longer.

TwistNMx

Great post! :yep:

If I don't detangle every single time, my hair will get knots and tangles and then I lose more hair. My hair likes being detangled (gently) every day.

Does this mean that "you" co-wash daily? TIA

TwistNMx

I co-wash every three days and yes my hair is much thicker and MUCH healthier! My hair was a HOT mess before I found this site!:look:

I know what you mean. :yep:
I've learned a lot here about hair care. My hair was a disaster, that's how I found this site. I sought and found. :yep:

SmilingElephant

I do the same thing.....i only use heat 1 or two times out of a whole month when i want to wear my hair down. I co-wash 2 or 3 times a week but what has really helped me...i feel...is that i deep conditione every single week!! Never skip a beat on that!

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I do a cinnamon bun like this:
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20932966

Wet bunning is the truth. You retain sooo much length, it's not even funny! I went from APL to almost MBL in a few months, but my thyroid and hair started actin up. My hair doesn't like to be wet anymore, so I have to rollerset :sad: Sure wish I could still wet bun, it's somethin serious. Everyone needs a wet bun in their life :giggle: