Can I ask a DUMB question

curlyninjagirl

I'm not a veteran member but I would say yes. I've had great experience adding high quality ingredients to regular condish. However I make sure the reg condish is natural or at least has no cones or mineral oil either. I don't want my add-on to react badly to the other chemicals.

Re: protein, my research found that animal protein = med/heavy and vegetable protein = light. But there are probably degrees within that. I've never tried egg, but my hair likes frequent light protein treatments and I use yogurt mixed with Ayurvedic powders.

The Natural Haven is a good blog for info on the science of hair. Here's a link to her post on protein: http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/06/size-matters-protein-conditioning-part.html
Woohoo! Thank you for the answers and the link. Very informative. I love LHCF!:yep:

Last edited:

curlyninjagirl

I see quite a few posts about shedding. My question is: What's the big concern over shedding? I thought that was what hair was supposed to do. Or is it a different meaning than what I'm thinking of, like hair loss or breakage?? :scratchch

A856

to all my ayurveda users......

so am I suppose to co-wash with my powder/condish mix every day, every other day??
or co-wash with the mix, then tea rinse the next and so forth??

Or I dont' know I'm a lil confused :-/ HELP!!! :)

ETA: also can one transition easier by doing ayurveda regimen??

Aggie

to all my ayurveda users......

so am I suppose to co-wash with my powder/condish mix every day, every other day??
or co-wash with the mix, then tea rinse the next and so forth??

Or I dont' know I'm a lil confused :-/ HELP!!! :)

ETA: also can one transition easier by doing ayurveda regimen??

I don't know about washing/rinsing with the powders everyday but I do know that there was a member here that did the rinses 3 times a week and got great results, but she never combed/detangled it in that time. These powders have a tendency to leave the hair a little hard, ie, strong, so be very careful during your detangling sessions.

I know the purpose of clarifying is to remove product build-up but how do you know if you need to clarify? My hair doesn't feel oily or anything. . .

Also is there anything particular that I have to do after clarifying? And do I have to DC after?

chasturner84

I know the purpose of clarifying is to remove product build-up but how do you know if you need to clarify? My hair doesn't feel oily or anything. . .

Also is there anything particular that I have to do after clarifying? And do I have to DC after?

I know that I need to clarify when my hair becomes dull & lifeless...or weighed down. I know that it's time to clarify when my staple products no longer work the way they are designed. Unless you use a lot of product on your hair everyday, you can get away with not clarifying often...like 1-2 times a month. I always start the month off with stripped (clarified) hair. I then use a protein condish and then DC with a deep moisturising condish. I follow with the remainder of my regimen (leave ins and sealing with oil).

I know that I need to clarify when my hair becomes dull & lifeless...or weighed down. I know that it's time to clarify when my staple products no longer work the way they are designed. Unless you use a lot of product on your hair everyday, you can get away with not clarifying often...like 1-2 times a month. I always start the month off with stripped (clarified) hair. I then use a protein condish and then DC with a deep moisturising condish. I follow with the remainder of my regimen (leave ins and sealing with oil).

Thanks, I've never clarified in my life :blush: (or at least in the 3 years I've been doing my hair) so I guess now would be a good time! Thank you for your response!

WhoIAm

Not sure if this has been asked since I last saw this thread, but here's my dumb question.

What's the rule of thumb when posting in old (more than 1 or 2 years) threads as opposed to creating a new one?

TIA.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I like this thread:)

At my last trim appointment (a dry trim) the hair dresser asked me if I do my own hair (relaxer) once I said yes she said that my hair had buildup, was burnt and dry....she said it had good elasticity and was porous. Can you tell elasticity and porosity when the hair is dry (she didnt' pull on the hair or anything just did the trim as asked? Can your hair have elasticity and be dry?
I'm skeptical because she didn't know what dusting was (I understand most don't) but she also only knew of henna as a colouring agent. I'm trying to figure out if she's a keeper or not

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I like this thread:)

At my last trim appointment (a dry trim) the hair dresser asked me if I do my own hair (relaxer) once I said yes she said that my hair had buildup, was burnt and dry....she said it had good elasticity and was porous. Can you tell elasticity and porosity when the hair is dry (she didnt' pull on the hair or anything just did the trim as asked? Can your hair have elasticity and be dry?
I'm skeptical because she didn't know what dusting was (I understand most don't) but she also only knew of henna as a colouring agent. I'm trying to figure out if she's a keeper or not

She should have explained more. The hair can be eithier low porosity or overly porous.

Read this to help you understand better
Keep It Simple Sista: Porous Hair

Elastic hair is hair that has the perfect balance of moisture. It bounces back very quickly when pulled be it wet or dry.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Thank you very much Myjourney2009...I can't say I trusted her opinion entirely and this confirmed it. By the time I visited her my hair had become elastic (it certainly wasn't at the beginning of my journey then had gotten overly moisturized). My hair at this point isn't overly porous nor has low porosity, it's at a good place. I guess I can feel confident in what I've learned her on LHCF:)

She should have explained more. The hair can be eithier low porosity or overly porous.

Read this to help you understand better
Keep It Simple Sista: Porous Hair

Elastic hair is hair that has the perfect balance of moisture. It bounces back very quickly when pulled be it wet or dry.

Sianna

I don't know if this question has been asked or not, and I think it pertains more to relaxed hair rather than natural, but what is a "doobie?" I've heard that word many times but was afraid to ask what it was because I thought people would give me the side-eye. Like I was already supposed to know what it means! :lol:

Americka

I don't know if this question has been asked or not, and I think it pertains more to relaxed hair rather than natural, but what is a "doobie?" I've heard that word many times but was afraid to ask what it was because I thought people would give me the side-eye. Like I was already supposed to know what it means! :lol:
I understand it to mean hair that is "wrapped." How to Wrap Hair in a Doobie | eHow.com

tmhuggiebear

I noticed that some of the ends of my hair are bent at a 90 degree angle. Now I can tell that is not good, but what exactly does it mean? When it bends like that does it mean the hair is dry, split etc.? And what can I do to prevent it?

Americka

I noticed that some of the ends of my hair are bent at a 90 degree angle. Now I can tell that is not good, but what exactly does it mean? When it bends like that does it mean the hair is dry, split etc.? And what can I do to prevent it?

Determine the different types of split ends. There are more variations of split ends than you think. If any strands of your hair look like this, you need to get it treated.

• The regular split. This is the most common form of split end, where there is just one split at the end of a strand.
  • Triple/Multiple splits. It looks like a regular split, but there could be three, four, or even five splits on the same end.
  • Feather/Tree splits. These are split ends that appear all over a strand of hair, either all on one side or switching off like in the image.
  • Double Y splits. This is when a split forms into another split.
  • Long or Deep splits. If you haven't detected a regular split in a long time, then one end of the split just keeps on growing.
  • Baby splits. The beginning of a new split. These will get worse.
  • Tapered splits. These are just a regular strand but then begin getting thinner and thinner towards the end.
  • White spot splits. Pieces of a stand of hair tapered in and then tapered out (and repeated).
  • Offshoot splits. There is a white spot (a "thickening split" that then returned to normal).
  • Thickening splits. As said in the photo, the split has formed but the ends aren't separated yet.
  • Incomplete splits. The split has formed, but then joined together at the end and kept on growing.

Relentless

Reinventing
When you are wearing a bun for protective styling, how do you keep your ends moisturized when tucking the ends under the bun?

tmhuggiebear

Determine the different types of split ends. There are more variations of split ends than you think. If any strands of your hair look like this, you need to get it treated.

• The regular split. This is the most common form of split end, where there is just one split at the end of a strand.
  • Triple/Multiple splits. It looks like a regular split, but there could be three, four, or even five splits on the same end.
  • Feather/Tree splits. These are split ends that appear all over a strand of hair, either all on one side or switching off like in the image.
  • Double Y splits. This is when a split forms into another split.
  • Long or Deep splits. If you haven't detected a regular split in a long time, then one end of the split just keeps on growing.
  • Baby splits. The beginning of a new split. These will get worse.
  • Tapered splits. These are just a regular strand but then begin getting thinner and thinner towards the end.
  • White spot splits. Pieces of a stand of hair tapered in and then tapered out (and repeated).
  • Offshoot splits. There is a white spot (a "thickening split" that then returned to normal).
  • Thickening splits. As said in the photo, the split has formed but the ends aren't separated yet.
  • Incomplete splits. The split has formed, but then joined together at the end and kept on growing.

Thank you so much for this. Glad to know what this actually is. Now it's time for treatment. Guess it's time for me up my moisturization!

NaturalEnigma

Some people add moisturizer to their ends and seal with oil. Or sometimes they might skip the moisturizer and use one of the oils that penetrate the hair like coconut or olive oil.

tmhuggiebear

Ok I got another one. I know this one is gonna sound really dumb but here it goes...

When exactly am I supposed to detangle my hair? One minute I hear to detangle my hair in the shower with conditioner then the next I hear to never detangle one wet hair because it's most fragile. And then it goes back to never detangle on dry hair.

Somebody help me out! When is the right time to detangle?

Prelude to a Kiss

M'Baku School of Wakandan White Silencing
You detangle your hair however is easiest for you. Some use a wide tooth comb, others their fingers... it really depends on whatever helps you retain your length.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Ok I got another one. I know this one is gonna sound really dumb but here it goes...

When exactly am I supposed to detangle my hair? One minute I hear to detangle my hair in the shower with conditioner then the next I hear to never detangle one wet hair because it's most fragile. And then it goes back to never detangle on dry hair.

Somebody help me out! When is the right time to detangle?

That's a good question I think the answer is something like this: Do not detangle on dry hair always put something in it before you come through it. (Perhaps you can finger detangle on dry hair). It's best to detangle in the shower (extremely gently) because you can use the conditioner and the power or the water and gravity to help you get through the tangles. If you choose to detangle outside of the shower (I do a little more detangling outside of the shower) make sure to have sufficient leave in products to ease in that process as well.

Gleek

What in the world does the pound sign after a phrase or statement mean? I.E. #havenotaclue??? LOL!

When you do that on twitter it becomes a trending topic (like a subject) and every tweet that has that can be viewed in its own time line.

ellebelle88

I hope this hasn't been asked before but I gotta know:

Where are people getting those silly gifs from? You know when someone posts a crazy or funny thread and someone else will come in and post a funny graphic? Where do people go for those animations/pictures?