wrapping your hair....? for the ones who wrap most of the time

Lilmama1011

Do you experience some form of breakage while doing it? Whether it's one broken hair or more. And if you do experience breakage are you still able to retain length or able to maintain healthy looking ends?

Because I only wear my hair straight one week out of my 3month stretch and I experience very minimum breakage while wrapping my hair like 2 to four broken hairs and I just worry over time it will effect my hair retention if I decide to do it for a full month . My hair is healthy and by me wrapping and manipulating it around my head does make some hair break. I do not like cross wrapping because it makes the hair bone straight with no bump so that's why I wrap..I just want to know are some of you successful wrapping everyday even with the one or very few broken hairs and it doesn't wreck havoc in the long run ?

Maybe part of it is technique? When I wrap, I try to use just my wide tooth comb and wrap by taking a little section at a time to go around my head. Then when all of it is up I use my boar bristle brush to smooth it down with a tiny drop of serum

When I used to wrap my hair back in the day my left side was shorter. Every stylist I went to could tell which way I wrapped my hair. Especially once my new growth starts coming in it gets harder to manipulate my hair in that way without breakage. This was all before i started my HHJ so my hair could not handle all that without breakage. I just started cross wrapping and I'm liking it.

When I used to wrap my hair back in the day my left side was shorter. Every stylist I went to could tell which way I wrapped my hair. Especially once my new growth starts coming in it gets harder to manipulate my hair in that way without breakage. This was all before i started my HHJ so my hair could not handle all that without breakage. I just started cross wrapping and I'm liking it.

I would never do it with new growth. I have a fresh relaxer. but stretching the hair from one side to another seems like it would have at least one broken hair

Yep, same story for me.. I cross wrap as well..

Nope. BostonMaria I would never

I've seen people with short hair do this. I would never attempt it.

OK to answer your original question... I wrap my hair when its straight and then put a silk bonnet on. I get zero breakage this way. If anything, wrapping my hair while straight not only helps retain the hairstyle longer, but it helps with breakage.

I've seen people with short hair do this. I would never attempt it.

OK to answer your original question... I wrap my hair when its straight and then put a silk bonnet on. I get zero breakage this way. If anything, wrapping my hair while straight not only helps retain the hairstyle longer, but it helps with breakage.

BostonMaria Thanks. I thought I was being very gentle. I know it's just three hairs but I worry still in the long term. Dang I treat my hair like a prize possession but now I need to be so careful it's like a wet paper that I need to save my life.....

I wrap my hair the traditional way when it's straight as well. I don't get any breakage. I always put a small amount of oil on my ends, wrap with my paddle brush and then put on a mesh wrap before adding my silk scarf.

Two tips I've learned along the way:

Hair should be bone straight. I find that the straighter the hair from the initial press, there will be less lumps/bumps in the hair for the brush to snag and break.

Hair should be well lubricated (but not overly oily) to cause less friction when you wrap as well.

I might just do two ponytails with two flexi rods like I said because years ago when I wrapped my hair all the time my left side was thinner. Not dramatically thinner but it was if you stared at it long enough and I felt it. Don't want that again. I might just only wear it straight for one week as usual anyway

I might just do two ponytails with two flexi rods like I said because years ago when I wrapped my hair all the time my left side was thinner. Not dramatically thinner but it was if you stared at it long enough and I felt it. Don't want that again. I might just only wear it straight for one week as usual anyway

But you are only doing this once every 3 months right? This is not something you're doing daily so I don't think it would be detrimental to your hair/edges but of course no one knows your hair better than you so do what you're comfortable with.

But you are only doing this once every 3 months right? This is not something you're doing daily so I don't think it would be detrimental to your hair/edges but of course no one knows your hair better than you so do what you're comfortable with.

lulu97 Yeah but I was thinking of doing it for a month because I'm tired of doing curly styles

BostonMaria Thanks. I thought I was being very gentle. I know it's just three hairs but I worry still in the long term. Dang I treat my hair like a prize possession but now I need to be so careful it's like a wet paper that I need to save my life.....

Did you just say THREE HAIRS?!!! :lachen: girl you're crazy

I wrapped for a while and noticed that one side's edges were thinning. I stopped wrapping. I don't think my hair could handle the manipulation. I sleep with my hair in a loose bun secured with roller pins as hair pins on a satin pillowcase. HTH

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I wrapped for a while and noticed that one side's edges were thinning. I stopped wrapping. I don't think my hair could handle the manipulation. I sleep with my hair in a loose bun secured with roller pins as hair pins on a satin pillowcase. HTH

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

317537 like a real bun or folded under not pulled all the way through ponytail? I just got a new satin pillowcase too. I want to try sleeping without a bonnet or scarf for once . When you wake up your hair don't be out of the bun or thrown everywhere?

I use to wrap my hair nightly but now I put it in one Bantu knot and cover it with my satin bonnet. I get nice beach waves daily.

I cross wrap and secure my hair with pins. No breakage for me. I never mastered the regular wrap technique

Last edited:
I cross wrap and secure my hair with pins. No breakage for me. I never mastered the regular wrap technique

My hair is in a neck length bob, so I do the traditional wrap, but when it was bsb, I would cross wrap. Plus I don't act like I'm scared of the comb anymore. My hair was never detangled enough.

I've wrapped my hair for years and I don't get breakage. When the hair is straight, I use a denman brush to swoop my hair into a wrap and sometimes smooth with a boar bristal brush. I'm natural but this worked when I was relaxed.

Maybe part of it is technique? When I wrap, I try to use just my wide tooth comb and wrap by taking a little section at a time to go around my head. Then when all of it is up I use my boar bristle brush to smooth it down with a tiny drop of serum

I just wrapped my hair today and forgot to wrap in small sections and got reminded when I was Just watching a YouTube video. I was struggling to wrap since I pin curled my hair last night and got the occasional breakage from wrapping in a big section. Because when I combed out the curls before wrapping it was smooth sailing. It was me wrapping my hair that caused breakage

I've always experienced breakage wrapping in any direction. Since this last texlax I've been cross wrapping to give my sides a rest and opportunity to catch up with the rest.

I've always experienced breakage wrapping in any direction. Since this last texlax I've been cross wrapping to give my sides a rest and opportunity to catch up with the rest.

Thanks for this. Because it seems like people question the Health when your hair is being combed or brushed straight and around

I used to wrap daily with no problems. In fact, I experienced more breakage when I stopped wrapping my hair daily (due to the fact that I stopped wearing it straight as often).

When I was growing up, I used Pink Lotion before wrapping and my hair was soft and fell beautifully in the morning. These days, I'd use something like Elasta QP. The key for me is that my hair has to actually be very straight, not wavy/kinky at the roots. (You can see me unwrapping my hair here, if you're interested.) An alternative would be pin curls.

If my hair is kinky at the roots, I will experience broken hair.

I used to wrap daily with no problems. In fact, I experienced more breakage when I stopped wrapping my hair daily (due to the fact that I stopped wearing it straight as often).

When I was growing up, I used Pink Lotion before wrapping and my hair was soft and fell beautifully in the morning. These days, I'd use something like Elasta QP. The key for me is that my hair has to actually be very straight, not wavy/kinky at the roots. (You can see me unwrapping my hair here, if you're interested.) An alternative would be pin curls.

I just pin curled my hair into two yesterday: ) I rollers check your video out too

If my hair is kinky at the roots, I will experience broken hair.

simplydebra I'm a new subscriber: )

I'm not doing ponytail rollersets anymore. They don't get the hair as straight as traditional rollerset. I'm getting convinced certain strands are still kinky straight and gets wrapped around comb or hands causing minor breakage. It looks straight but it's not. I can run my hands smooth through after detangling fearing resistance. Maybe that's what contributes to have minor breakage as well when wrapping

Also I don't like pin curling. It draws my hair up to much and the two little parts in the front can't be curled because of the length and one part in the back is flipped out

Back