WOW-I THINK BIOTIN MADE MY HAIR GROW FASTER!!!

karen

Hi sherrylove

I have been taking my biotin for more than 2 monthes now, I first started using 4000-5000mcg, now I've up my dosage to 6000-7000mcg for a few weeks now, I hope to start seeing result quick.

I've read your post about how your grandma cut your hair, I know how u feel, when I use to have long hair, my ends always bugs me and so I got my barber to cut it and I sorta regret it after a while cause it become too short, well now your hair is back at waistlength, u must be so happy and it looks much thicker in the bottom and soo healthy too. okie, u better not cut ur hair anymore ,lol,
dang ur hair is going to reach ur butt in a couple of month at this rate
soo cool

HairFanatic01

HA YOU GUYS......
NATURE'S PLUS ULTRA HAIR PLUS Contains 2000 mcg and I take 3 800 mcg a day. We'll see what happens...... I'll post my results

Nacai23

lainee- what is an excessive amount of biotin?

ineedmoney, I'm having more shedding than usual. i take pp, how about you?

ngaa

OMG!! girl thats a whole lotta length that u got no joke!! as if i didnt have enuf motivation to get started with my biotin i belive that u've just given me another reason!! congrats on the growth and happy hair growin to every1 takin biotin

lainee

Nacai23,

It really depends on the person. I have been lurking for awhile now and some of these lists that I have read are too much IMO. Yes we all want long, healthy hair but we don't want to end up sick b/c of all the pills that we are digesting.

I have taken biotin before, can't really remember the mcgs that were in a pill, but I did take one pill per day and that was it. I'm choosing to grow out my hair without the aid of pills b/c honestly, my hair is growing more now than when I was on biotin....but like I said what may work for one may not work for another, it's up to all of us to find out what compliments our own health and hair.

Peace

dahllia

Hi Sherri Love, I was just looking at your side profile and this was my conclusion. Forgive me if I am reading it wrong but the thingie in the corner that has the numbers with the slashes 10/30/32 and the month you registered Feb. Im thinking you had 10 inches of hair that month you started.... To date, you now have 30 inches. Thats amazingly 20 inches of hair grown in five months. Is it the biotin or is it really your blessed genes? Please dont be offended, Im new to the board and I know I could definitely be reading it all wrong.

happylocks

WOW!!!!!!!
Love your hair really grow that is so beautiful congrats for you and your hair, it is back to its lenght in a months times, Wish you all more growing

pressncurl

[ QUOTE ]
I would just like to say (as a nursing student), Biotin can surely aid in the growth of hair, but it can also be hazardous to a person's health when taken in excess, so my advice as a
would be to do whatever is best for you because what may work for one may not always work for another...Good luck!

Sherrylove, as a long time lurker, I have to say your hair is fabulous! You are truly blessed to have that beautiful head of hair, keep it up!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, actually . . .

#1 Biotin is water-soluble so what you don't use, you most likely lose.
#2 "Biotin is not known to be toxic. Toxicity has not been reported with daily oral doses of up to 200 mg [that's 200,000 mcg] . . .. Due to the lack of reports of adverse effects, the Food and Nutrition Board did not set a tolerable upper level of intake (UL) for biotin."
from http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/biotin/biotin.html

godzooki

Wow! congrats Sherrylove! that is just amazing! can you please rub some of whatever mojo you got goin on on me cause I just cut an inch off and I miss it!!

diamondlady

dahllia,
I don't know about Sherry Love but the measurement of hair when I started doesn't mean when I started this board and has nothing to to with when I registrated. It means when I started taking care of my hair, which was about 9 months before I discovered this board. Some people came from other boards to this one. I did. Some belong to multiple boards. I don't.

So, what I'm trying to say is, the conclusions you drew could be wrong.

Nonie

SherryLove, I noticed the growth when you first posted the pictures to show how your ends have improved from not wrapping, hence my asking if you used Miracle Gro! Way to gro girl!

Pressncurl, I was just going to say that about biotin, ie no toxicity is known from taking a large dose of it. The only complaint I've heard, as SherryLove mentioned, is people complaining of breakouts. Don't know if someone else also mentioned itching scalp or if I misunderstood. But B5 is supposed to be good for breakouts so if you get them, maybe upping your B5 intake might help.

Incidentally, I take oatmeal every day. I just read today that 1 cup of oatmeal provides 58 mg of biotin! 3.5 ounces of yeast and 3 ounces of liver provide mg in the 80s!!! Oh and I was gonna suggest that it might be a good idea to take 5 tablets of 1 mg than 1 of 5 mg. I'm thinking if the excess gets excreted, then isn't it better to spread biotin's intake throughout the day so that so that your body gets a supply of it continuously as it uses it; rather than providing a whole load and most of it gets expelled since it's not all needed at one time? Unless it is in a time-released tablet where it won't matter. After all, biotin is so easily obtained from different foods that you might not be needing all that you're taking. My logic might not hold any water so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, the webpage on which I found the info about oatmeal, yeast etc is right here.

happylocks

Nonie r you sure 1 cup has 58 mg or 58mcg, That is alot I only take 8 mg and my nails are growing so fast in the pass few days,what are you exp with oatmeal thank you way to go Love really nice congrats again

Nonie

You are so right happylocks. It's mcg not mg.
Maybe I should just sit down and keep quiet before I hurt myself.

dahllia

[ QUOTE ]
dahllia,
I don't know about Sherry Love but the measurement of hair when I started doesn't mean when I started this board and has nothing to to with when I registrated. It means when I started taking care of my hair, which was about 9 months before I discovered this board. Some people came from other boards to this one. I did. Some belong to multiple boards. I don't.

So, what I'm trying to say is, the conclusions you drew could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you... I kind of thought I was not looking at the whole thing. I too, started taking very special care of my hair months before, that is what lead me to do a search on the internet for black hair tips and I came across this place.... Thanx for the insight. Me myself, Im scared of biotin. I lived with a bad case of acne for several years when Proactiv changed everything (Thank God for Proactiv). So when some of the ladies mentioned acne, I knew this was one nutrient I would do my best to obtain from foods, bananas, yogurt, etc. Plus there are already 50mcg in my multi vitamin. Honestly on the vitamin tip, flaxseed oil has improved the texture of my hair and skin. When I started taking that, I noticed changes within 2 weeks.

laketta

[ QUOTE ]
i am taking a brand called thompsons. i'm getting 300mcgs twice a day. how much are you taking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey I just switched to a thompson brand that has 5000mcg (5mg) in one vitamin and it is not that much bigger than the originals so I take two of those a day. I got it from PP catalog.

Stormy

See I knew you had a lot of growth in one month sherrylove! Remember I said so on your other post when you posted your pics
after the cut?

I take Biotin too, and I had more growth than usual lately, but since I haven't been on it long I'm trying to wait and see if it's really the Biotin or other things that's making it grow more.

Still working on my pics. I'm supposed to pick them up today then I'm gonna scan them. I think I'll just get one of those PC cameras once I start my album to keep it updated.

Nacai23

[ QUOTE ]
i am taking a brand called thompsons. i'm getting 300mcgs twice a day. how much are you taking?

[/ QUOTE ]

I take 5mg. I'm thinking about back to 3mg/4mg, because I don't like this shedding.

SherryLove

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Sherri Love, I was just looking at your side profile and this was my conclusion. Forgive me if I am reading it wrong but the thingie in the corner that has the numbers with the slashes 10/30/32 and the month you registered Feb. Im thinking you had 10 inches of hair that month you started.... To date, you now have 30 inches. Thats amazingly 20 inches of hair grown in five months. Is it the biotin or is it really your blessed genes? Please dont be offended, Im new to the board and I know I could definitely be reading it all wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

welcome,. dahllia....

I began growing my hair from an ear length in May of 2000. I believe it was about 10 inches then. My hair just measured in at 30 inches in June of this year (2003). It actually took three years to gain 20 inches.....

SherryLove

[ QUOTE ]
Sherrylove, maybe I missed it but what brand do you use?

TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

i use the Solgar brand.......

SherryLove

[ QUOTE ]
Hi sherrylove

I have been taking my biotin for more than 2 monthes now, I first started using 4000-5000mcg, now I've up my dosage to 6000-7000mcg for a few weeks now, I hope to start seeing result quick.

I've read your post about how your grandma cut your hair, I know how u feel, when I use to have long hair, my ends always bugs me and so I got my barber to cut it and I sorta regret it after a while cause it become too short, well now your hair is back at waistlength, u must be so happy and it looks much thicker in the bottom and soo healthy too. okie, u better not cut ur hair anymore ,lol,
dang ur hair is going to reach ur butt in a couple of month at this rate
soo cool

[/ QUOTE ]

ain't no sense in holding on to trash ends. i am sure your hair looks better now.....

SherryLove

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i only consume 1300 mcgs per day. that's more than enough for me......

SherryLove

[ QUOTE ]
Wow! congrats Sherrylove! that is just amazing! can you please rub some of whatever mojo you got goin on on me cause I just cut an inch off and I miss it!!

[/ QUOTE ]

GodZ,,, you will get that back in no time. we have to admit that when we cut our hair, it may be shorter; but it looks healthier...

bramde

I hope I don't sound too stupid but where would I buy Biotin? Is this something that can be found at a health food store?