Vitamin challenge?

Neen

I have a question. I hear you have to take ALL the b vitamins in order for them to work effectively because they work with each other. Do they have to all be at the same dose? I want to increase my biotin to 5mg/day along with the b-complex I'm taking. Will I need to double up on the b-complex? TIA.

Also, how do you know that you are absorbing all the extra vitamins and not just flushing the excess out? I heard you absorb all the biotin you take but that would make me think you could overdo it on the biton. Sorry for thinking so much but Biotin cost alot in large doses and I don't want it to go to waste. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Carlie

Neen: No, all of your b vitamins do not have to be at the same dosage as long as they are present. Yes, the body does flush out what it does not use...that what's make the urine such a dark color after taking b vitamins. As for the biotin, I would divide the dosage up into 2...at least 12 hours apart. HTH

ETA: There are some who would suggest to take all the same amount of each b vitamin but I just don't think it's necessary. The best thing to do if uncertain is to consult your doctor beforehand. Another issue would be if you are deficient in any of the b vitamins...again, you would have to see your doctor.

Carlie

Oglorious, if you are taking a multivitamin, all of the B vitamins should be in there already, so you don't need to add extra if you don't want to. It's totally based on preference.

Neen

Just some interesting stuff I came across. /images/graemlins/fan.gif

Biotin

Biotin is one of the more recently discovered B vitamins. It was first isolated in 1936, and the structure was identified in 1942 and the structure of the vitamin was synthesized in 1943. It is essential for the activity of many enzyme systems.

Biotin absorption takes place in the proximal small intestine. Dietary biotin, which is protein-bound, must be acted upon by intestinal enzymes in order to liberate free biotin for absorption. Some biotin is also absorbed from the distal small intestine where it is biosynthesized by the normal flora in the intestine. Biotin deficiency in humans is very rare, probably due to the fact that biotin is synthesized by beneficial bacteria in the human gastrointestinal (GI) tract.

Biotin plays a vital role in the production of energy from the metabolism of carbohydrates and fats. It is involved in the manufacture of fats and the excretion of byproducts from protein metabolism. It is also known as the vitamin that produces healthy hair and helps prevent graying.

Applications include:

Brittle nails: Sixty-three percent of patients gained up to a 25-percent increase in nail thickness.1

Uncombable Hair Syndrome: Uncombable hair syndrome in children responds to biotin supplementation.8 (okay, what is this?...Maybe that's "tender-headed" people)

LuLu

I would also like to know how much of this stuff the body absorbs because I won't over do it if I know it's not going to be absorbed anyway!

Carlie

Just as I was about to send my response, my comp. crashed. /images/graemlins/nono.gif

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that there is very little research availabe on how much is too much biotin, and also the long term effects of too much biotin in your system are unknown.

Here's some info I found that I think you'll find to be helpful:

Biotin, though readily available in a variety of foods we typically consume, is HIGHLY available in organ meats (liver, kidneys, etc.) soy flour, COOKED egg yolks, many cereals and yeast. Biotin is also recycled by the body...used over and over again until its usefulness is depleted and then expelled. So if you're shy on biotin today, you may be using reserves from yesterday. Without lab work showing a problem, there is no need or reason to supplement biotin. <font color="red"> Note: I take 'cause apparently, according to my family, I'm "hair obsessed." </font> /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Did you know that one cooked whole egg (must be cooked!), not only gives you a complete days requirement of biotin, but also a goodly amount of lecithin? The incredible, edible egg :)

KAddy

Excess biotin is also flushed out in the urine.

Health Guides copied below
Biotin

See also: Drug interactions

* What it does
* Where found
* Helpful for
* Are you deficient?
* Amount to take
* Side Effects &amp; Interactions
* References

What does it do?

Biotin, a water-soluble B vitamin, acts as a coenzyme in the metabolism of protein, fats, and carbohydrates.
Where is it found?

Good dietary sources of biotin include organ meats, oatmeal, egg yolk, soy, mushrooms, bananas, peanuts, and brewer’s yeast. Bacteria in the intestine also produce significant amounts of biotin, but evidence is conflicting as to whether biotin produced by intestinal bacteria is present at a location or is in a form that permits significant absorption by the body.1

Biotin has been used in connection with the following conditions (refer to the individual health concern for complete information):
Rating Health Concerns
2Stars Brittle nails
Diabetes
Pregnancy
1Star Seborrheic dermatitis (cradle cap)
3Stars Reliable and relatively consistent scientific data showing a substantial health benefit.
2Stars Contradictory, insufficient, or preliminary studies suggesting a health benefit or minimal health benefit.
1Star An herb is primarily supported by traditional use, or the herb or supplement has little scientific support and/or minimal health benefit.
Who is likely to be deficient?

Certain rare inborn diseases can leave people with depletion of biotin due to the inability to metabolize the vitamin normally. A dietary deficiency of biotin, however, is quite uncommon, even in those consuming a diet low in this B vitamin. Nonetheless, if someone eats large quantities of raw egg whites, a biotin deficiency can develop, because a protein in the raw egg white inhibits the absorption of biotin. Cooked eggs do not present this problem. Long-term antibiotic use can interfere with biotin production in the intestine and increase the risk of deficiency symptoms, such as dermatitis, depression, hair loss,2 anemia, and nausea. Long-term use of anti-seizure medications may also lead to biotin deficiency.3 Alcoholics, people with inflammatory bowel disease, and those with diseases of the stomach have been reported to show evidence of poor biotin status. However, the usefulness of biotin supplementation for these people remains unclear.4 In animals, and possibly in humans, biotin deficiency can cause birth defects.5 As biotin deficiency may occur in as many as 50% of pregnant women,6 it seems reasonable to use a prenatal multiple vitamin and mineral formula that contains biotin.
How much is usually taken?

The ideal intake of biotin is unknown. However, the amount of biotin found in most diets, combined with intestinal production, appears to be adequate for preventing deficiency symptoms. Researchers have estimated that 30 mcg per day appears to be an adequate intake for adults.7 Typically, consumption from a Western diet has been estimated to be 30–70 mcg per day. Larger amounts of biotin (8–16 mg per day) may be supportive for people with diabetes by lowering blood glucose levels and by preventing diabetic neuropathy.8 9 Biotin in the amount of 2.5 mg per day strengthened the fingernails of two-thirds of a group of people with brittle nails, according to one clinical trial.10
Are there any side effects or interactions?

Excess intake of biotin is excreted in the urine; no toxicity symptoms have been reported.

Biotin works with some other B vitamins, such as folic acid, pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), and vitamin B12. However, no solid evidence indicates that people supplementing with biotin also need to take these other vitamins. Symptoms of pantothenic acid or zinc deficiency have been reported to be lessened with biotin,11 though people with these deficiencies should supplement with the nutrients in which they are deficient. Researchers have speculated that biotin and alpha lipoic acid may compete with each other for absorption or uptake into cells; but little is known about the importance of these interactions in humans.12

There is one report of a 76-year-old woman who developed a life-threatening condition (eosinophilic pleuropericardial effusion) while taking 10 mg of biotin per day and 300 mg of pantothenic acid per day.13 However, it is not clear whether the vitamins caused the problem.

Are there any drug interactions?
Certain medicines may interact with biotin. Refer to drug interactions for a list of those medicines.
References

1. Mock DM. Biotin. In: Shils ME, Olson JA, Shike M, Ross, AC (eds). Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1999, 459–66.

2. Mock DM. Skin manifestations of biotin deficiency. Semin Dermatol 1991;10:296–302.

3. Said HM, Redha R, Nylander W. Biotin transport in the human intestine: inhibition by anticonvulsant drugs. Am J Clin Nutr 1989;49:127–31.

4. Zempleni J, Mock DM. Biotin biochemistry and human requirements. J Nutr Biochem 1999;10:128–38 [review].

5. Zempleni J, Mock DM. Marginal biotin deficiency is teratogenic. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 2000;223:14–21 [review].

6. Mock DM, Quirk JG, Mock NI. Marginal biotin deficiency during normal pregnancy. Am J Clin Nutr 2002;75:295–9.

7. Zempleni J, Mock DM. Biotin biochemistry and human requirements. J Nutr Biochem 1999;10:128–38 [review].

8. Coggeshall JC, Heggers JP, Robson MC, Baker H. Biotin status and plasma glucose in diabetics. Ann NY Acad Sci 1985;447:389–93.

9. Koutsikos D, Agroyannis B, Tzanatos-Exarchou H. Biotin for diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Biomed Pharmacother 1990;44:511–4.

10. Hochman LG, Scher RK, Meyerson MS. Brittle nails: response to daily biotin supplementation. Cutis 1993;51:303–5.

11. Somer E. The Essential Guide to Vitamins and Minerals. New York: Harper, 1995, 70–2.

12. Zempleni J, Mock DM. Biotin biochemistry and human requirements. J Nutr Biochem 1999;10:128–38 [review].

13. Debourdeau PM, Djezzar S, Estival JL, et al. Life-threatening eosinophilic pleuropericardial effusion related to vitamins B5 and H. Ann Pharmacother 2001;35:424–6.

moneychaser

[ QUOTE ]
Good Challenge I am IN!!!
L-Cysteine 1000 mcg
Biotin 1000 mcg
GNC Hair Skin and Nails
Pathoneic Acid 1000 mcg
Cod Liver Oil 2 Capsules

[/ QUOTE ]
Adding 1 tablespoon of Silica in the AM

Valerie

I want to enter, I take the following:-
1 B-Active dissolves in a glass of water.
1 serving of Ultra Hair Thick Shake
2 tablets of Ultra Hair Plus
1 Vitamin E /images/graemlins/bouncy.gif

to get in future MSM and Source of Liquid (liquid multivitamin)

swannie

I'm in! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just started today with 2000mcg (2 tablets) of biotin by Puritan's Pride. Since reading the biotin info though, I will down it to 1 tablet (1000mcg) a day. No use in taking multiple pills if its going to get flushed out anyway.

carletta

I'm in too ! I've been taking:

Centrum
Nature Made Super-B complex
Shen Min
Biotin 900 mcg
L-Cysteine 500 mg
Calcium
Slow-Fe Iron

WaterMoccasin

I'm in! Especially since I just hopped on the Autumn challenge.
I was gonna wait until my purge/master cleanse before I startde vitamins again but what the heck. I'll probably end up doing it next spring so why waste all this time NOt taking vitamins /images/graemlins/grin.gif

My supplements/vitamins:
- One a Day (Active)
-Cod Liver Oil w/ Evening Primrose

and I'll gradually add in:
-B 100 complex
(I don't want to overdo it all at once like that)
-Biotin (in a somewhat significant dose- at least 2.5mg)

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
i'm in my photo in my album said my regimine was as of 9/2004 and I still havent started hard core so he we go
i have the vitamins and the dosage in the 1st pic /images/graemlins/cheers.gif What are you guys taking your vitamins with Milk, Water, or Carrot juice

JetBlack

Peace & Love
Count me in! I started about 1.5 months ago. I'm taking:

1. HorseTail
2. Fish Oil
3. B Vitamins
4. Theragram M and GNC Multivitamin

KAddy

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not familiar with Shen Min, what does this do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a little info on Shen Min Hair Nutrient: (I pulled this from various websites)

A powerful, all-natural hair nutrient to nourish and maintain youthful hair.

Shen Min, meaning "Life" or "Vitality", has been used for centuries in China for nourishing and maintaining youthful hair.
# Shen Min extends the growth phase of the hair follicle, thus promotes hair growth and prevents hairloss.
# Blocks DHT (De-Hydro Testosterone, the "bad" testosterone, is a leading cause of pattern baldness) from binding to the follicle.
# Especially formulated to stimulate hair growth for women
# Considered a naturally alternative to Rogaine/Minoxidil and is 100% safe with no known side effects.
# Restores graying hair to its original color with continuous usage.

Divastate

I'm in since I'm already taking these vitamins anyways /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Freeda Biotin (10 mg)
Bluebonnett MSM (3000 mg)
NatureMade Prenatal

If you don't want to spend the $$$ for Shen Men you can also get the main ingredient Fo-Ti for much cheaper.

Tai

As soon as my shipment from Puritan's comes in, I'm in the challenge.

Daily, I will take:

10 mg biotin
2 GNC Ultra Nourish Hair
11 mg silica
1000 mg of L-Cysteine
1000 mg of L-Methoine (sp?)

KAddy

[ QUOTE ]
I'm taking

Women's Daily Multi-vitamin

Will add:
Shen Min - will purchase this coming weekend
Biotin (5 mg) - I used to take but stopped for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to edit my plan. I will NOT be adding Shen Min as my husband and I are family planning

So I will just add biotin to my regular schedule.

acebooncoon

I'm In /images/graemlins/bdance.gif

L=Cysteine
L-methionine
Kal Enhanced Energy Multi
Country Life mulit mineral
10mg Biotin
1000 mg Ester-c
4mg msm

will add borage oil when I get paid. Grow Hair Grow /images/graemlins/weird.gif

bklyncurly

Great Challenge - I'm in!

I'll be taking every day:
1 serving Ultra Hair Shake
3 Tabs Twinlab Hair Factors
1 50mg Zinc
1 60mg Dr. Best French Grape Extract
1 IVillage Multi (one of the best I've ever taken)
2 Citracal Calcium

/images/graemlins/wave.gif /images/graemlins/antlers.gif

Tara

I'm totally in!! I haven't posted here in a quite a while and I've still been *sometimey* (lol) about my water intake and vitamin routine. So here goes:

MSM
B-Complex
biotin
B-5
Super Hair Energizer
Vegetal Silica
Amino 1000

(these will all be taken at different times throughout the day)

I'll officially begin 10/17/04....hmmm, I wonder if I should measure my cornrow ends and see what the difference is at about 11/17 with CONSISTANT use. Also I gotta get back on my regular water intake too!

Neen

I officially begin today. I got my PP biotin in the mail /images/graemlins/clap.gif. So for the challenge I'll be taking the Super B-complex and 10mg of PP biotin. Wish me luck /images/graemlins/grin.gif .

LuLu

How are ya'll keeping up?
I missed some of my vitamins yesterday and the day before...since I'm taking them twice a day I somehow forget to do it the second time /images/graemlins/frown.gif

KAddy

Well I am bad on weekends...
I did OK this weekend, but I don't remember to take them until the afternoon as opposed to during the week.

Weekdays I am good to go because I take my multivitamin right after I eat my breakfast when I am at work.

I started my biotin today