The ultimate "Phoney Pony"!

BamaBelle

Hey y'all... As many of you all know, I've been on a quest to find a phoney pony that doesn't feel/look so... phoney! I think I may have found my answer. I found this sister's company on, of all places, eBay, and was immediately impressed. Her name is Michelle Hall and she's based in San Fernando Valley, California... She will make your phoney pony for you, matched to your color and texture, attaching the hair to a barrette or clip, for a more natural look.

I'm in wait mode for mine and will post pictures as soon as it arrives. In the interim, I thought I would share her eBay page and email address (she told me it was okay to do so). I have corresponded with her for the past few days and I must tell y'all, she's very nice! She responded to my questions quickly and thoroughly. She is trying to build her business and I assured her that the ladies of LHCF would certainly give her product some attention! :D (PJ's... be cool!)

[email protected] is her email address

http://cgi.ebay.com/Human-Hair-Pony...2QQihZ015QQcategoryZ82591QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemis the eBay link to her product

GirlywithCurlies posted the website for PhonyPonies.com last week (thanks again, GWC), but when I contacted them by phone and email, they never responded (it's been 5 days). The products look similar to me with the difference being Michelle will hand select the human hair used for color and texture. I'm not sure of the PhonyPonies.com attachment technique as their website doesn't have a picture or sketch. Michelle's does...

HTH

Best to all

Last edited:

PaperClip

Please excuse me in advance for what I'm about to ask and I'm not trying to knock a sista's entrepreneurial effort, but aren't such pieces relatively easy for one to make at home, if you will?

Like I'm planning to work on a half-wig.... I looked at the one I have closely and basically it's a that circle comb cut in half, a weaving net, and some hair sewn onto the net.... And when you break down the cost, it seems to be cheaper than actually buying an already made wig...except for the time, of course....

Just kindly asking...:cool:

Can you please take pictures of your work when you do it? I would love to make my own half wig.
Regarding the phoney pony, I see your point, I tend to mess stuff like that up though so sometimes it's nice for someone else to do it.
Her work looks good, it is just kind of pricey...

RelaxerRehab said:
Please excuse me in advance for what I'm about to ask and I'm not trying to knock a sista's entrepreneurial effort, but aren't such pieces relatively easy for one to make at home, if you will?

Like I'm planning to work on a half-wig.... I looked at the one I have closely and basically it's a that circle comb cut in half, a weaving net, and some hair sewn onto the net.... And when you break down the cost, it seems to be cheaper than actually buying an already made wig...except for the time, of course....

Just kindly asking...:cool:

Ponytaildiva

There are many things you can make yourself if you have the time, patience, skills and materials to make them. Sometimes it is even cheaper to have someone else do it because they can get the supplies cheaper at wholesale bulk prices. Also, some things are not as easy to reproduce as you might think. The UPA Clip is pricey because the human hair and barrettes used are of the best quality. When you go to the hair salon, you will spend $25 - $50 to have a ponytail wrapped to wear only 2 weeks. The UPA Clip will last for years if you take care of it. Sounds like money well spent to me.

Michellehall said:
There are many things you can make yourself if you have the time, patience, skills and materials to make them. Sometimes it is even cheaper to have someone else do it because they can get the supplies cheaper at wholesale bulk prices. Also, some things are not as easy to reproduce as you might think. The UPA Clip is pricey because the human hair and barrettes used are of the best quality. When you go to the hair salon, you will spend $25 - $50 to have a ponytail wrapped to wear only 2 weeks. The UPA Clip will last for years if you take care of it. Sounds like money well spent to me.
i have thick and armpit length hair. What i would want to also know is would something like that fit around my ponytail and would i be able to close it?
Are you the seller?

atlien11

anatomicallycorrect said:
i have thick and armpit length hair. What i would want to also know is would something like that fit around my ponytail and would i be able to close it?
Are you the seller?
Great question. i would like to know this as well. Thanks! :D

Ponytaildiva

The barrettes are esspecially designed for thick hair. They are curved to allow room for your hair and the UPA Clip bracketes. I am having many designs created in Hong Kong so that you can interchange the brackets from one barrette to another very easily. They are specially made to handle thick hair. That is another reason why they cannot be home made by anyone. Also, I offer a 100% money back guarantee including postage if it does not work for you. I have sold over 2000 UPA Clips and have never had anyone send it back. To my surprise though, most of my customers have been all races except for african American's. African American women are who I had in mind when I created the UPA Clip. I wore it for 3 years and no one knew it was not my own hair and I wanted to share that with others. I lost my hair during surgery and had to wear a wig for a year. Then created the UPA Clip because I wanted my hair back and my hair would not grow back wearing the wig. I now have a full head of hair but still wear my UPA Clip because it is easy and my hair is still fragile. We are so busy filling orders that it is difficult to find time to work on the website, but it will be up soon with all of the barrette selections and different hair textures. The UPA Clips are custom made and I have 20 employees working around the clock filing orders and 5 on the road matching hair colors.

sassyhair

Doesnt look like I could do the baggie method with this ponytail, also I dont like how thin the pony looks. but this is a great idea, if the pony was thicker I would buy one.

Ponytaildiva

Rememeber, the UPA Clip is custom made and can be as thin or thick as you want it. The model has thin hair and is wearing a UPA Clip to match her thin hair. If you have thick hair, we add more hair. When you order your UPA Clip, you are contacted to obtain this kind of information from you. We insist that the UPA Clip look totally natural.

sassyhair

Is the hair remy? meaning is it true human hair with cuticles in line and in tact? do you have pics of thicker ones and curlier ones...I did not like the curly one I saw in the auction.

Ponytaildiva

Bammabelle who ordered a UPA Clip has highlights in her hair. She sent me a picture of her, we found her two hair colors emailed her a picture of the hair that we combined and she said it was a perfect match. That is the glory of the UPA Clip...custom, custom, custom. Even if you have a favorite hair that you like, give me the information and the UPA Clip will be made with the hair that you select. I have purchasing contracts with all of the hair manufactuers including Remy, Deni Cali, Hollywood Hair, Zury, etc. They order hair for me in 24 hours. That is why I can have it made in 3 working days. When one of my staff contact you, we determine together if you want Yaki or silky straight hair or even dredlocks.

Hey, take a chance....100% guarantee. You have nothing to loose but a trip to the post office if it does not work for you. We pay postage.

Ponytaildiva

Sassyhair, I do not believe I answered you question specifically about the Remy hair. Most of the hair manufacturers carry remy hair. You may not see it out in the beauty supply stores because it is so expensive thaty they hide it and offer only if a customer ask for it. No I do not use Remy hair because it would be way to expensive to use. However, again since the UPA Clip is custom, if a customer is willing to pay for it, I will make it. But it would not be $49.99, it would be actually more like $80.00.

BamaBelle

Alli77 said:
This is really cute! But how can she match the texture of the hair exactly? Would you have to send in pictures of your hair.
I was thinking the same thing, Alli! I was trying to describe my hair to her (as confused as my hair is trying to describe it to someone is a challenge!) and I felt silly! So, I just emailed her the link to my Fotki and she matched it based on my pictures! I was like, "goodness!" That was one time having multiple shots of the same style was helpful (referring to the "Unpopular" thread)! I think the reason I was really drawn to her clips as opposed to the others I've bought/made/seen is because it's made thinner than the rest of them. The ones I've purchased and seen in the BSS or online are thick and "bushy"... Not at all like my own ponytail would be. But, I suppose it's a matter of preference.

FeelinIt

I'm feeling this pony improvement. Good going. I think I may look into this. Now is there a way for one to do the baggie method with your phony ponys and how secure are they? I mean if someone tugs on it lightly or I turn my head real fast like .....HUH WHAT, would it come flyin off?

Thanks in advance.

sareca

Oh my goodness, this is exactly what I've been looking for. I've probably had 10 phony ponies and they are just too thick to look real on me. Yay!

Ponytaildiva

FeelinIt, if you put the UPA Clip on correctly, it will not come off until you take it off or unless you get into one of those hair pullin female brawls. For 3 years, I slept, swam and worked out in my ponytail and it never came off unless I took it off and it takes a second to take it on and off.
Okay....everybody's lookin but no one but bamabelle is ready and willing to take the leap. So, I need a testimonial other then bamabelle. She might be misconscrewed as a plant since she introduced the UPA Clip to you all and introduced me to you. So, I need one of you to have a UPA Clip so that you along with bamabelle (who should have hers in the mail tomorrow) can tell this tough crowd of sistas how awesome it is. It will be free of charge and as with all UPA Clips, made to your specifications. I must be 12" - 14" long and sorry Sassyhair, it won't be made with Remy hair.:D So, whose going to volunteer?

FeelinIt

I would jump and buy one but my hair is natural 4a/4b. Do you have any like that? Other than that, I can't really wear one. My texture would not match.

GirlywithCurlies

FeelinIt said:
I would jump and buy one but my hair is natural 4a/4b. Do you have any like that? Other than that, I can't really wear one. My texture would not match.

I second feelinit... I'ma need some afro-kinky curly!

kandegirl

I will definetly be your volunteer. Just let me know what info you need. I've been wanting to try a phony ponytail like this for a while.:)

Michellehall said:
FeelinIt, if you put the UPA Clip on correctly, it will not come off until you take it off or unless you get into one of those hair pullin female brawls. For 3 years, I slept, swam and worked out in my ponytail and it never came off unless I took it off and it takes a second to take it on and off.
Okay....everybody's lookin but no one but bamabelle is ready and willing to take the leap. So, I need a testimonial other then bamabelle. She might be misconscrewed as a plant since she introduced the UPA Clip to you all and introduced me to you. So, I need one of you to have a UPA Clip so that you along with bamabelle (who should have hers in the mail tomorrow) can tell this tough crowd of sistas how awesome it is. It will be free of charge and as with all UPA Clips, made to your specifications. I must be 12" - 14" long and sorry Sassyhair, it won't be made with Remy hair.:D So, whose going to volunteer?

sassyhair

I would have to see someone with a remy hair one....i would even be satisfied with pics of other's ponies that were thicker.

Ponytaildiva

Sorry deborah11, kandegirl beat you to the free UPA Clip. Once she contacts me with the custom specifications for her UPA Clip, I will get started on it. She has agreed to share pictures once she receives it. Also, BamaBelle will be receiving hers in the next day or two and she promised to also share pictures. Sassyhair, you asked for pictures of a thicker ponytail with remy hair, well I have listed pictures of me in my remy hair UPA Clip on EBay for you all to see. It is 14" long and very pricey to make. I do not list these on EBay because most people are not willing to pay the money for this hair. Here is the link to my EBay listing so that those interested can take a look.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250011985432

sassyhair

Now I love that, how much is it? I dont mind paying if it is true remy hair, that means it will last longer.

sareca

Michellehall said:
Sorry deborah11, kandegirl beat you to the free UPA Clip. Once she contacts me with the custom specifications for her UPA Clip, I will get started on it. She has agreed to share pictures once she receives it. Also, BamaBelle will be receiving hers in the next day or two and she promised to also share pictures. Sassyhair, you asked for pictures of a thicker ponytail with remy hair, well I have listed pictures of me in my remy hair UPA Clip on EBay for you all to see. It is 14" long and very pricey to make. I do not list these on EBay because most people are not willing to pay the money for this hair. Here is the link to my EBay listing so that those interested can take a look.

Wooooo, nice!

sareca

Michellehall said:

Wooooo, nice!

sareca

Michellehall said:
Wooooo, nice!