DUP THIS PONY!!!!!

Mz.MoMo5235

ok yall, this is kind of a silly question, but its something that i have yet to duplicate correctly and it ANGERS ME SOOOOOO :swearing: ggrrrrr lol

i love my natural curls but i love my pony tails more lol so i tend to where a lot of pony tails when i'm not in a bun. but when i do my pony tails i have to have it really sleek and neat looking. but its not the kind of pony tails i like. I WANT MY PONY LIKE TYRA'S!!!

i know this is not her hair, but the texture is spot on to mine when i'm in a pony. now the actual pony tail i have down packed! all i have to do is air dry, not hair! lol

where i'm having trouble is... how she maintains the texture. see how her edges arent slicked and straight

example of slicked edges, my pony

i've tried to just put my air dried hair in a pony with out a brush but my curls lay funny in the pony tail and i end up with like this "scalp" look where like, i dunno, i cant describe it now but its not cute! lol

so, any tips, tricks, is it just impossible on real hair?

I NEED HELP!!!!

and sorry in advance for the largeness of the pix, i wanted to make sure yall could see what i was talking about lol

also, this is my 1st lhcf thread eeeeehhhh!!!! so hopefully its not a wamp wamp lol

sheba1

Ooooh, beautiful pony!! I don't know how to dup it, but it is lovely!

Congrats on your first thread! :bump:

aegis

i feel like her hair was set with like setting lotion and then put up. so then the curls are crisper. could you use a gel, let your hair airdry and then try?

and hey! :)

Mz.MoMo5235

hey!!!!!

and yes... i have the biggest tub ever of eco styler. i'm going to try it tomorrow.

i dont usually use gel for my curly hair (the tub is usually for slicking lol) so i will try not to be too heavy handed with it and then use a difuser (i dont think i should air dry with the gel because that leaves my curls elongated and prevents the shrinkage i like) and then try a lose pony tail... i think its a plan. if it works i will post pix! if it does not... well i'll post pix any way, that might shed some light on how to improve things lol

thanks

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I'm not familiar with the gel you use, but does it contain alcohol? If so I wouldn't recommend it for daily use. I would recommend FOTE aloe vera gel. And maybe you should do a braid-out on wet hair, wait for it to dry, and try the pony method you want without smoothing your sides. I get that look Tyra has when I do that method on my hair since I'm texlaxed.

Mz.MoMo5235

eco styler is a brown protein gel alcohol free.

but i also have fruit of the earth 100% aloe vera gel which also doesnt have any alcohol in it.

so i could probably use either or huh....

someone else on BHM mention doing a braid out or twist out. i havent yet perfected those yet so i dunno.

what i think i'll do is 1st try the defuse method tomorrow since i wont have time to really let my hair air dry. then then on my next wash try a twist out. i will take pix of both to see which one turns out better :D this will be fun

how many braids or twists do you usually do? and what do you do with the ends (do you twist or braid all the way down or do you use rollers or something else).

Mz.MoMo5235

I don't know...but I love your hair. :love:

especially the color!!!!

oh thank you. most of that color has actually been cut out now. my natural color is black. i cant remember the name of that color but i got it from sally's. i think its a loreal color (not the box one but the kind you have to mix your self)... i cant remember now, i just know what section i would go to for it lol

but thank you again

Mz.MoMo5235

Just wondering, are you diffusing with your head upside down?

yes and no... i try to dry the ends 1st since it weighs down my roots (thus causing less volume) which i do with my head tipped to the side (parallel to the floor lol) then when my ends are mostly dry i flip upside down.

i tried doing it all upside down but my hair takes a while to dry (especially since i use such low settings) and i just cant stay like that for too long.

longhairlover

your pony is 10x's nicer than tyra's and it's real :).

maybe try a curling mousse (or something for curly hair) on the hair scrunch the roots for some volume and to make the curls more pronounced so it's more curly instead of smooth. a curl enhancing product will define your curls better imo.

without even flipping your head upside down you can use the diffuser on towel dried hair (I would just wrap a hair towel to suck up some of the water but nothing to affect or cause frizz just water absorption) use a curl volumizing product place the diffuser on the root area and twist the dryer as if you were scrunching with your hands but with the diffuser do the whole head and let the rest airdry. I've done this and was able to get a similar tyra ponytail.

but your ponytail is georg anyway :)

Mz.MoMo5235

oooh, thanks longhairlover, i think i'll try that diffusing technique. i'll use gel instead of mousse just cause i havent found a mousse that my hair responds to well.

but with tyra's pony, the only part i want to duplicate is the base (i guess that's what its called lol), the actual pony tail i'll keep the way my hair has always done. its just that base part where its so tight and neat. i dont always like that, especially when i'm doing a messy bun or something. i dunno, i think it looks more relaxed and natural and less face lift like lol

Mz.MoMo5235

OK!!!! so i co-washed, towel dried, added my prods, added some eco styler, and then diffused. once fully dried and cooled off i threw it into a pony and this is what i got

how do yall think i did?

Mz.MoMo5235

and i apologies for the poor picture quality but i have to start taking pix with my phone now since my stupid camera I JUST GOT is brokedefied!!!!!

Mz.MoMo5235

YAY!!!! lol i made it harder than what it needed to be i guess lol. i feel kinda weird though not slicking down the edges, like my hair "isnt done" or something lol but i'll get over it i right lol

EMJazzy

Happily retired
OK!!!! so i co-washed, towel dried, added my prods, added some eco styler, and then diffused. once fully dried and cooled off i threw it into a pony and this is what i got

how do yall think i did?

It turned out very nice!! Good job! :yep::up:

Mz.MoMo5235

it looks nice you have the texture you were looking for, which method did you use?

i did the diffuser with gel... the rest of my hair is a little poofier than usual but i'm sure if i wanted i could spritz my ends with some water and add a lil conditioner and call it a day. but since i stayed home all day and cooked and now i'm too full to go any where, i can be a poofy mess with out a care lol

Rain20

If you are still trying to duplicate this style. Do everything you did before, but maybe try using a banana clip and put the pony up a little higher. You have different texture and your hair is longer so it may fall a little differently. Either way your ponytails are pretty.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
eco styler is a brown protein gel alcohol free.

but i also have fruit of the earth 100% aloe vera gel which also doesnt have any alcohol in it.

so i could probably use either or huh....

someone else on BHM mention doing a braid out or twist out. i havent yet perfected those yet so i dunno.

what i think I'll do is 1st try the defuse method tomorrow since i wont have time to really let my hair air dry. then then on my next wash try a twist out. i will take pix of both to see which one turns out better :D this will be fun

how many braids or twists do you usually do? and what do you do with the ends (do you twist or braid all the way down or do you use rollers or something else).

If I want my hair big with less texture I would do a max of 6 to 8 braids; if I want a lot of texture, but with less body I would do about 14 to 16 braids. I braid all the way down to my ends, and then use a satin roller at the ends. This is great if you want a slight curl at the bottom.

Kneechay

if youre just trying to duplicate the base i would think you'd just need to do a flat twistout on your hair and loosen them and tie up into a pony tail. I recreated this look easily. Is that what you were asking about?

Mz.MoMo5235

if youre just trying to duplicate the base i would think you'd just need to do a flat twistout on your hair and loosen them and tie up into a pony tail. I recreated this look easily. Is that what you were asking about?

yes... just the base. but i dont know how to do flat twists :perplexed

JJamiah

I am watching another episode with tyras hair like this and she asked chris does he like it better like this or with the pieces so I am thinking this is her hair, I could be wrong but that is what I am getting from the conversation, like a cute braid out.

glamazon386

That actually is Tyra's real hair in the picture... :look: She's been wearing it out off and on this season. But it looks like a braidout or twist out that was loosely pulled back.

JJamiah

That actually is Tyra's real hair in the picture :look: But it looks like a braidout or twist out that was loosely pulled back.

Yeah :yep: that is what I was trying to say! From the previous post it seems like they said it was fake. I just listening to their conversation and it seem otherwise.

OH yes I can't wait to do my first braid out and try it as well!