The Official 2006 sew in/weave challenge

asummertyme

wassup yall!? still rockin this same ole curly weave...lol i just redo it up every 4-6 weeks or so, but i think ima get some braids after this one..im tired of it..been rockin this style for a minute and its time for a change...the good news is..i found some more curly hair in my closet..i moved in may,so im still finding stuff that i had not unpacked..hoorah!!..lol

GoingNatural

Hey everyone!

Question: I am transitioning to natural by wearing weaves, how long can I keep a weave in my hair? How long is too long?

I've hadmy current curly weave in 2 months. It's really good hair from www.glamourhair.com, so I just didnt know if having a weave in my hair too long could potentially damage my hair.

Thanks!

AtlantaJJ

I am going to get a sew in about a month after giving it some rest. I have been all over the place since I took my braids out this weekend. I realize that I want more length before I do the full hair reveil. I will use this time to condition and then consider a relaxer for texture. I work out and sweat so natural will be really difficult for me to maintain.

I'm changing my mind every 30 minutes so stay tuned. Haha. I happen to know where to get realy indian remy hair that is so fabulous!!! I want to wear that for a while, and I can re-use the hair for a year if I take good care of it. The cuticle is intact on the virgin indian remy.....

Conditioning my hair now. It's a pain, being natural and having it revert by the end of the day, but it's only been 2 days, I know that it will relax a bit on its own. I just bought a new ceramic iron to help me manage my do, and a cute wavy pony tail....

Thanks ladies, I'll be joining this challenge soon.

Janet

Healthb4Length

Asummertyme! GOod to have ya back! I'm crackin up at the avatar over here! I thinkI'll probably join the weave challenge late this year or the begining of next year because honestly I haven't had the chance to get one done. I'm still ordering my Extensions-plus hair.

GoingNatural

Thanks ASummertyme! Saturday is 8 weeks for me, so I'm going to take this sucker out this weekend.

Question:
Is it bad not to let your hair rest? I'm taking my weave out on Saturday, doing a deep condition and I am going to get another weave on Sunday.....

BTW Has anyone ordered or know someone who has ordered hair from myindianhair.com? It seems to have good hair, but the site seems kind of suspect...they had a half lb of hair on there for 260 that said it will last a year, but the check out system had no rhyme or reason to it...so i don't know how i feel about that

glamazon386

GoingNatural said:
Thanks ASummertyme! Saturday is 8 weeks for me, so I'm going to take this sucker out this weekend.

Question:
Is it bad not to let your hair rest? I'm taking my weave out on Saturday, doing a deep condition and I am going to get another weave on Sunday.....

BTW Has anyone ordered or know someone who has ordered hair from myindianhair.com? It seems to have good hair, but the site seems kind of suspect...they had a half lb of hair on there for 260 that said it will last a year, but the check out system had no rhyme or reason to it...so i don't know how i feel about that

You can reweave it back to back with no problems. I've never ordered from myindianhairs.com but plenty of ladies over at bhm have. I'm sure theres some ladies on this board who have too but I can't think of any names at the moment.

Ladyhenri

Umm...
I'm NOT in. Sew in Weaves have damaged my hair badly and for me, its a territory i wont be venturing in again. besides isnt it near impossible to properly wash and oil scalp beneath weaves?:confused:
As for the tangling, breakage and matted hair after the weave...i wont even get started. I had all these though i carried my weave for about 4 weaks each time!

Well good luck girls, hope weaves work for you

glamazon386

Henrietta said:
Umm...
I'm NOT in. Sew in Weaves have damaged my hair badly and for me, its a territory i wont be venturing in again. besides isnt it near impossible to properly wash and oil scalp beneath weaves?:confused:
As for the tangling, breakage and matted hair after the weave...i wont even get started. I had all these though i carried my weave for about 4 weaks each time!

Well good luck girls, hope weaves work for you

Not necessarily. There are plenty of women here on the board, myself included who have been able to wash with weaves as well as braids. You just have to do it differently than if you were washing your regular hair. But you also have to remember that every technique, method or product mentioned on this board isn't going to work for everybody. So you have to choose and do what you feel is best for you and your hair. :)

Ladyhenri

bmoreflyygirl said:
Not necessarily. There are plenty of women here on the board, myself included who have been able to wash with weaves as well as braids. You just have to do it differently than if you were washing your regular hair. But you also have to remember that every technique, method or product mentioned on this board isn't going to work for everybody. So you have to choose and do what you feel is best for you and your hair. :)

I agree with this... This technique certainly doesnt work for me.
But then, the way most hair dressers sew in weaves in London, i'd be extremely surpised if you can reach your scalp to wash. Believe me, i've tried (when i wanted to scratch!!)

Good luck with the challenge though:)

glamazon386

Henrietta said:
I agree with this... This technique certainly doesnt work for me.
But then, the way most hair dressers sew in weaves in London, i'd be extremely surpised if you can reach your scalp to wash. Believe me, i've tried (when i wanted to scratch!!)

Good luck with the challenge though:)

Thanks! We've been going since Dec 05. And it's been a great 10 months for me. :)

bluediamond0829

hello ladies its almost been a year and im happy that alot of u are still going strong with the sewins and the challenge...its been awhile since i have been here...but im trying to hop back on the wagon...i have gotten my hair to a healthy stage but now i am wanting it to grow faster than it is from the short hair cut that i got done back in March(that was my way of starting over) and this time it was the best...my hair is really full and strong....its just taking too long to grow out and i hate the inbetween phase...so i want to start getting sewins again...Reniece has inspired me again...and my sewin/stretching regimen will be comparable to hers....

I got my last relaxer in september....
October: get sewin done
November: keep sewin in until after Thanksgiving beginning of December
December: remove sewin deep condition then get another sewin
January: toward end of January remove sewin....get relaxer..wait 5 to 6 weeks before getting another sewin...
March: get sewin done
April: at the end of April remove sewin deep condition....

so this is going to my regimen and trying to reduce myself from relaxing as much....

phynestone

I took out my weave a few days ago and had my hair relaxed. My stylist told me that I kept it in too long and as a result, lost a lot of hair. It looked a little longer, but I had to wait so long b/c I didn't have any money. I guess I won't keep my weaves in longer than 10 weeks (went 17 weeks this time).

Thinking about getting some braids after a month or so. Perhaps my hair needs to take a time out from weaves.

Bmoreflyy-

What kind of hair do you have in your pic?

glamazon386

phynestone said:
I took out my weave a few days ago and had my hair relaxed. My stylist told me that I kept it in too long and as a result, lost a lot of hair. It looked a little longer, but I had to wait so long b/c I didn't have any money. I guess I won't keep my weaves in longer than 10 weeks (went 17 weeks this time).

Thinking about getting some braids after a month or so. Perhaps my hair needs to take a time out from weaves.

Bmoreflyy-

What kind of hair do you have in your pic?

Girl 17 weeks is too long! You shouldn't go longer than 12... The hair was regular Sensationnel Wavy hair I got out the clearance bin. While it was gorgeous it matted and looked like a rats behind 2 weeks later. I took it out. I did a full head for the first time myself the other night and it turned out pretty good. I'll post some pictures later. Thanks Asummertyme!

carolb21

Count me in. I just had Coreen weave me up due to a serious round with alopecia, bad relaxer and stress which caused me to lose over half of my hair.:( So I will start over and my hair grows really fast with sew in weaves. I have a combination of tree braids in the front and the weave in the back. I hope this counts. I will post pics soon. I wash this almost every other day because I exercise and sweat profusely, this really helps with growth. I will continue to use surge, sulphur/oil mix, vitamin regimen and have this redone every 4-6 weeks. My boyfriend does not like my hair weaved up, put I told him this is my hair and not his.:lol: I hope to have 3 inches by the end of January.:p

glamazon386

carolb21 said:
Count me in. I just had Coreen weave me up due to a serious round with alopecia, bad relaxer and stress which caused me to lose over half of my hair.:( So I will start over and my hair grows really fast with sew in weaves. I have a combination of tree braids in the front and the weave in the back. I hope this counts. I will post pics soon. I wash this almost every other day because I exercise and sweat profusely, this really helps with growth. I will continue to use surge, sulphur/oil mix, vitamin regimen and have this redone every 4-6 weeks. My boyfriend does not like my hair weaved up, put I told him this is my hair and not his.:lol: I hope to have 3 inches by the end of January.:p

Welcome Carolb21! :wave:

bluediamond0829

okay i got my sewin but im not liking it well its okay...i just got it done on Saturday and had more of it cut on Sunday because it was too long...the problem i have is that the girl who did it didnt leave enough hair out at the top(she didnt charge me that much i paid more for the hair then her doing my hair)...because my hair is fine and thin textured its hard to cover the wefts and im very conscious of this i dont want to be looking nice but my wefts are showing...ugh...so im debating if i want to take it out or just deal with it but i love the cut...it just takes some work for me to get it right...i still have a appointment set up for Thursday that i havent cancelled with a lady in the shop where i go to get my hair done at...but she's charging $120.00 and then i would have to buy the hair so that'll be a total of almost 150.00 that i wouldve spent and plus the money i just spent to get my hair done this time...the lady is suppose to do a full head sewin for me...so im not sure what to do...ugh

glamazon386

bluediamond0829 said:
okay i got my sewin but im not liking it well its okay...i just got it done on Saturday and had more of it cut on Sunday because it was too long...the problem i have is that the girl who did it didnt leave enough hair out at the top(she didnt charge me that much i paid more for the hair then her doing my hair)...because my hair is fine and thin textured its hard to cover the wefts and im very conscious of this i dont want to be looking nice but my wefts are showing...ugh...so im debating if i want to take it out or just deal with it but i love the cut...it just takes some work for me to get it right...i still have a appointment set up for Thursday that i havent cancelled with a lady in the shop where i go to get my hair done at...but she's charging $120.00 and then i would have to buy the hair so that'll be a total of almost 150.00 that i wouldve spent and plus the money i just spent to get my hair done this time...the lady is suppose to do a full head sewin for me...so im not sure what to do...ugh

Thanks Asummertyme!! :) BlueDiamond, I would just wait it out instead of spending more money. Did you have your hair thats left out blowdried or wet set? I always got my thin hair blowdried when I was relaxed to make it look thicker. Especially when I got wraps. That might make a difference.

bluediamond0829

bmoreflyygirl said:
Thanks Asummertyme!! :) BlueDiamond, I would just wait it out instead of spending more money. Did you have your hair thats left out blowdried or wet set? I always got my thin hair blowdried when I was relaxed to make it look thicker. Especially when I got wraps. That might make a difference.

thanks im trying to still love it and keep it in at least for 6 weeks...because i dont want to spend more money and i want to see how much growth i can get with wearing sewins....maybe that will work if i do wash my own hair...i'll see what happens on Saturday when i wash it.....

glamazon386

Okay ladies, this challenge is just about over! :clap: We made it! I can't believe it's been a whole year. Now, let's see some progress! How did this challenge impact your hair? Post your updates.

Me personally, I got good growth this year, but since I BCED I'm starting all over. I'll be spending another year in weaves and braids. I'm getting weaved up this afternoon so I can look fresh for my first day at my new job tommorow. Anybody wanna do it again?

GodivaChocolate

Hello, I am new to the board and have been lurking for a while before I decided to sign up. I am so sorry I missed the -6/07 weave challenge. I wanted to know if you guys will be doing a challenge for 07/08..If so I would like to join and also lend advice. Thanks again I happy growing!

XXXtacy

Still in a weave. Will officially end my reign on Jan 1.

Updates:
length: I reached my goal of armpit length and 1 inch passed that. Didn't measure from the beginning but I was at shoulder length. I have had my ends clipped twice this year when the ends had heavy splitting and fray. Stylist thinks I can lay off weaves for next year. Dammit, I think I am addicted so that may be harder than I think.

texture: My hair was damaged by a stylist using a straightening comb. It was hard, singed and a mess. The low to no manipulation has allowed my hair to heal. The MSM has given it new life. I am very pleased.

New Goals: Bra strap length and beyond. Healthy 3c/4a hair.

kandegirl

I'm still going strong. I just took my hair down last week but I'm not due for a relaxer yet so it's going back up in a few weeks. My next relaxer may be in January or February but the weaves/braids won't stop then. I plan to continue using these protective styles interchangeably until I reach my goal of bra-stap length healthy hair. I have my girls doing it too!!!

glamazon386

XXXtacy said:
Still in a weave. Will officially end my reign on Jan 1.

Updates:
length: I reached my goal of armpit length and 1 inch passed that. Didn't measure from the beginning but I was at shoulder length. I have had my ends clipped twice this year when the ends had heavy splitting and fray. Stylist thinks I can lay off weaves for next year. Dammit, I think I am addicted so that may be harder than I think.

I agree they can get addictive. :lol: I got a full head straight hair weave yesterday and it turned out great. I'm gonna keep my hair covered up for at least the next 6 months with full head weaves.

blackhair

Bmore: I will join the 2007 challenge.
My routine is to wear full weave/wig all year round. I will relax 2 times a year. Will you start a new thread 2007?

glamazon386

blackhair said:
Bmore: I will join the 2007 challenge.
My routine is to wear full weave/wig all year round. I will relax 2 times a year. Will you start a new thread 2007?

Yeah, I'm gonna start a new one. Wheres everyone else that was on the challenge though? lol

AtlantaJJ

I think I'm going to be jumping on this challenge wagon if its still going. I like the idea of tree/invisable braids as a protective style until I can grow a few inches. I'm kinda short now since my BC and it's causing me some protectives styling issues. I know a shop that does them cheap and I can get it styled so that I can still give my edges a rest (no tension). I can also workout in peace! I will not relax until I decide to come out of the braided style all together however. That will give me a Loooooooong stretch with minimal manipulation. I think I'll take my braids down, do a cassia and a deep condition and put it right back up.

ETA, I'll be ready to do this in January...I'll be 10 weeks post by then. It will be braids or touch up time...I'm thinking take a break from the chemicals for a minute...