The Official 2006 sew in/weave challenge

glamazon386

Okay, so now this is the Official 2006 Sew/In Weave Challenge Thread. If you wannajoin the challenge, post your regimen here. I know a few ladies already posted theirs in my previous thread asking if anyone was on a challenge. Happy Growing Ladies!

Here's My Regimen:

Week 1: Relax
Week 2: Sew In Weave - Wash and airdry or go to Dominican Salon every 2 weeks (depending on my mood lol)
Weeks 3-9: Use D & L Almond Rain Oil Mist on braids.
Weeks 10-11: Remove Weave and wear own hair
Week 12: Relax again and start over. Possibly trim if needed.

I'm also taking Biotin and GNC's Horsetail supplement daily.

I'm debating on if I wanna get a full weave or not. If I get a full weave I think I'm gonna skip the relaxer and just reweave. I gotta see how my hair turns out for christmas with this curly hair. I usually cowash the curly hair every few days so maybe that'll help my hair thrive too. Does anyone here do sew ins back to back? How does that work for you? Hopefully this regimen will help me gain more growth than I've been getting lately. Definitely looking forward to 2006. :grin:

Alright ladies, Let's Get It! :lol:

Last edited:

bluediamond0829

i'll be joining as soon as i can find a good trusting person that i can have sew in my hair...maybe sometime this week....ive found someone and will be starting this im so so excited to see how much growth i can get...im going to get my favorite hair which i love Sennsational Hair..its so natural...and im going to get some streaks in one pack i want something a little different...
My Regimen:
will only to relax i believe for 4 to 5 times in 2006
wear sew ins for up to 8 weeks...
to cowash/wash/deep condition for 4 weeks in between
so this will make my spending on hair go down because i will only be getting this done i believe doing this maybe less than 5 times next year....

December: get sew in done on Saturday wear up until February..
February: Take out sew in cowash/wash/deepcondition(2weeks) relax(2weeks)
March: get sew in done and wear up until May..
May:Take out sew in cowash/wash/deep condition(2weeks) relax(2 weeks)
June: get sew in done and wear up until August....
August:take out sew in cowash/wash/deep condition(2weeks) relax(2weeks)
September: Get sew in done and wear up until November....
December: Take sew in out for the holidays and to celebrate growth for the year !!!! :)

applying MTG/ORS/Doo Gro for moisturizing the scalp 3 to 4 times a week....

washing at least once every two weeks or once every week....

then after removing...cowashing and washing/deep conditining for at least two weeks...then after two weeks...applying a relaxer and doing the same again cowashing and washing/deep conditioning for another two weeks...and then get sewns done again..

Taking my vitamins...(HF37, Silica, Shen Min, Nioxin...)
Keep Exercising and Eating well....
Getting Trims done on regular basis...

Last edited:

Leslie_C

I just got my first sewn in taken out, I really like how it looked and it was protective without me looking jacked up all the time. I have a big head so pulling my hair back off my head into buns, etc, IS NOT cute! lol.

Im debating on getting another weave or getting a lace front.

If I get the weave I will:
not relax---flat iron the part thats out only. possible relax edges.
wash and treat hair
sewn in: 8 weeks--wash/condition every week and use MTG between parts
take out and treat hair, wear different hairstyle for 1-2 weeks
repeat

If I get the lace front Ill probably moisturize and wrap my hair really well underneath and then wash/deep condition every week. use MTG every few days.

I think either of these will be great for growing out my hair...my hair has always thrived when its left alone for long periods. I probaby wont relax for a good six months and at that point Ill either get a mild relaxer or MAYBE Ill officially transition.

good luck ladies!

KathyMay

Great thread. I am glad to join this challenge. I plan on taking my weave out at the end of the month and getting a fresh sew in for the new year
Here is my plan for 2006
December 2005-take sew in out, protein treatment and deep condition, fresh sew in for January/February
January/February-sew in, CW weekly
Late Feb. take sew in out, relax hair (6 months post) and let it breathe for two weeks and then get another sew in
March-sew in CW weekly
April-take sew in out, let hair breathe for two weeks
May- sew in or cornrows (it will be warm during this time and my head gets hot with the sew in)
June- sew in or cornrows CW daily
July-sew in or cornrows CW daily
August- 6 months post relaxer touch up no cornrows or sew in for two weeks
September-October sew in again
November-December 2006-sew in and relax after I take sew in out.

Ok so that is my plan, now time to decide on the hair for the whole year

OnPoint

ok I am on this one until March. I have a sew in now and I looove it. This is what I will do
Daily - Surge
Occasionally ( when my scalp is dry)- Sulfur or Wild growth 8 to scalp and Sta Sof fro to hair.
Twice a week- MTG sunday and wednesday
Every week - Wash and protein treatment ( my hair really breaks)
MSM dailly- I am aiming for 4000/ day

Re weave every 2 months

I am hoping to get at least 3 inches in the next 4 months- I will keep you posted

laketta

I am def in on this.

I will get mine sewn in on Friday so

Basically I will just wash/condition

braid

sew in the weave

make sure that hair stays conditioned.

after 8-10 weeks, take it out and redo

I am gong to keep it as simple as possible

SUPER SWEET

I'm in starting Dec 30th! :)

Daily - Surge/Mgt
Tri-weely- Salon visit for through cleansing
Remove the weave every 7-8weeks and start all over

Guyaneek

I'd like to start also. I have braids now so I will start the second week of January. I don't have a regimin nor do I have a style I will feel comfortable rocking for months at a time. I'm gonna do research on that now though. I plan on keeping my hair sewn up until May/June

XXXtacy

Newbie here. :wave:

I am participating in the 2006 Weave challenge but I got a few questions.:bookworm:

Nearing Christmas, I will have my sew in put in. (That sounds funny) I would like to use a MTG mixture to help my hair grow during this process. Any suggestions on how I could incorporate this?

Dont know how my hair will be braided. If she braids front to back and puts the weave in ear to ear, how much room is there to put the MTG? How often should I use it? Will using it too much cause buildup?

Any help???

tinkat

I want to be on this challenge. I began wearing weaves officially for my transition in august.

L

lkg4healthyhair

I will be getting a weave at the end of December so I am in!

My plan for 2006

Wear weave for 6-8 weeks

Wear own hair for two weeks (while out: deep condition, trim if needed)

Wear weave 6-8 weeks.

Products: Surge, Minoval, PC oil and stay so fro

Last edited by a moderator:

Growingitlong

I want to join but will be starting much later than you guys. I am in braids now and don't plan to take them down until the end of February.

I shall begin by weave regimen around mid April since I shall be doing my relaxer beginning of March.

glamazon386

The weave I have in now was done about 3 weeks ago by a woman out in Westminister (about a half hour from my house). I got her name and number from someone on BHM. She did a good job and she charged me $60. I need to give her a call so I can make an appointment for about 2 weeks from now.

Growingitlong

Oh, I forgot to add my regimen basically will be that of Reneice. I so admire what she has done with her hair and the work she does.

cutebajangirl

I'm in. I will be getting a weave tomorrow. I plan to leave mine in for 3 months at a time for cost issues and to see what the effects are on my hair.

I typically remove my weaves out every 5 weeks and after a couple of months of weaving I get major tangles and breakage (due to the tangles) each time I remove the weave. So I hope leaving it in for a longer period of time with cut down on the hair lost to tangles. This weave will be a straight yaki weave using Sensationnel Goddess Remi Yaki hair in 12 inches color 1B.

SocialWorker29

a little off topic...
does anyone know any brands of yaki hair that doesn't constantly shed? I'm wearing a weave now and what get's on my nerves is the constant shedding everytime I brush or detangle it

simone103

Yaky perm by Janet Collection, and the Rebecca Collection are good brands of yaky that don't shed.

Philosophy

Empress of Lurking
Yep, I think I can consider myself apart of this challenge :lol:

I've been doing this by myself for exactly a year. Last December I decided I would alternate between braids and sew-ins for 2 years. So now, on my personal braid/sew-in challenge, I have 1 more year left to go!!! :)

This year it's really going to be a CHALLENGE for me because as my natural hair has grown I've really fallen in love with it :love:

Two weeks ago I took my sew-in down (only to be re-done) and my hair was absolutely beautiful!!! I had about 6 inches of thick natural hair and I big chopped about 3.5 inches of relaxed hair. Hopefully by the end of 2006 I'll have about 12 inches :grin:

My plan...

Wear my current sew-in until late Febuary (3 months - some say it's a no-no but it works for me)

Then wear braids through mid-summer and following will be sew-ins for the rest of the year.

At that time, I'll see how I feel according to my hair's health and progress ...

Last edited:

simone103

SocialWorker29 said:
Thanks simone.. I'll have to check those brands out
Your welcome.

I'm in on this challenge too. Actually, I've been wearing weaves for awhile now, but I noticed that my hair has gotten considerably thicker when I kept the weave in for 3 months as opposed to the usual 2 months. I leave a small section of the front of my hair out and edges out for blending. I'm getting another weave put in next week. This is my regimen:

Wear weave for 3 months, take it out, wash and condition, and then wait one week and relax it, after one more week - weave it up again. I moisturize the exposed hair with vitapointe, and moisturize the cornrows with Sta sof fro.

Last edited:

Philosophy

Empress of Lurking
Your Welcome Cutebanjangirl,

You gotta do what works for you :) Over & over again we see that the same products don't perform and work the same for everyone... well, neither do hair care/style methods.

bluediamond0829

okay i just started this challenge and i have a question i got my sew-in done..but the hairdresser used some glue at the top around the front(dont ask me why i dont know) but what im afraid of now is putting too much oil in my hair..because you know how oil can loosen bonded in parts...and then im scared to shampoo this part or wet it...then i thought that since she did this im probably going to have to cut back on the time that i keep this in with it having some places where it is bond in...its not that much of bond in...because i wouldve went crazy if it was...my question is will it loosen those parts up if i use too much oil or try to shampoo???

Okay update dont ever ever use MTG and WHGO together and apply it to the scalp..i woke up this morning from putting this to my scalp and my weave was so oily and wet looking..it looked crazy...so what did i have to do..of course wash it...so i went and brought the shampoo that the weave package recommended i use...its Jamaican Dream Lemongrass shampoo...i rinsed my hair first then sprayed it with this shampoo then rinsed it out...after that i blowdryed it...i had to glue the edges where they had lifted up and finally the hair looks alot better than what it did and i was able to get the top of my hair to look better to cover up the top...i think im going to try to find a different person to sew in my hair...she was cheap but i think i could find someone that doesnt use the glue because im fearing for my edges...so i made the decision that this may hold up for maybe 6 weeks instead of 8 im crossing my fingers because i never kept a sew in that long in..usually i keep it in for around 4 weeks...so i think i would be trying to push it too far for 8 weeks...

Last edited:

determine3

I just wanted to post here (so I can track my progress/length of time)that I had a full head weave done last night. damn, it's straight and I hate that "cone head" look you get from a full head!!!!:lachen: I'm going to curl it up so it has body.

My regimen will be:

Weekly deep conditions- cholesteral and proteins
mtg-everyday or every other day
Sta so fro- have to buy a new bottle
vitamin regimen.......i've run out of everything!!!! I have nioxin pills right now but i need to get my biotin and msm.

I plan to leave my weave in for about 2-3 months (crossing my fingers i don't get bored to soon!!).

esoterica

i'm in. i've been getting sew-ins since January and its done my hair a lot of good. i will carry on until the end of 2007. i will try to leave each weave in for 2 months, but this hardly ever works. 1 month or 6 weeks is more realistic.

i have no real sew-in regimen. after the sew-in is in, i dont apply anything to my scalp. i shampoo and condition every couple days but i doubt the conditioner gets to my own hair. all my hair really gets is water.

Godsway

I'm in on this challenge too! I've actually been wearing a weave for about 21/2 months now and am planning on taking it out around the next week or so
washing and deep conditioning and relaxing for x-mas. I usually keep some hair out for blending. My plan is to repeat this process until next december or so.

I just have a few questions for you girls on maintaining the hair left out and the hair underneath. Do you guys straighten the new growth of the hair that is left out? I have been straightening my new growth and was recently wondering if this was damaging? As well, I usually moisturize the braids underneath with some kind of braid spray. How often do you guys moisturize the braids underneath and with what?