Spinoff: Type 2/3's inspiration pics threads

jamaraa

I understood what you meant and I agree. I really saw it after that thread came out not long ago and most people here said they won't listen to the advise of a type 3:perplexed. I was like that's it for me then, I wasted years here trying to help just to find out most people wouldn't even take my rambling into consideration, lol.

Someone actually said that? How "rud"! :grin::nono::rolleyes: Why can't someone w/ a different texture know about other textures? Lame. After all, just because you have 1 texture on your hair, doesn't mean to don't care for other textures...kids, hubbys, siblings, parents, friends, etc.

I :lachen:at the idea of the texture on someone's head being solely how you judge someone's hair knowledge! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jamaraa

Her hair reminds me of Jurnee Smollet's but Jurnee's curls are a bit looser.

Last edited:

jamaraa

AWWWW, thank you! That really made my day. :Rose::) It's hard to keep the faith when there are so many lusciously thick heads in all these siggies and threads, and to know that I genetically/hereditarily can't get my hair thicker (or stop it thinning, short of Rogaine).

Or royalty. Remember your Princess Anne post?

TO your point: BWAHAHAHAHA!:lachen::lachen:I just pictured my sparrow-like British auntie in a rock band. She already has the hair. She needs to lose the paisley scarves, first, however.

I would love a "British Kinky" conglomerate band, with all of the aforementioned four dudes and more, united by hair. You know they're vain about their hair, too, or else why else would so many rockers still be sportin' their styles of yesteryear? Brian May for one is still wearing his floppy 'fro with pride. And I'd be crushed if he cut it.

Thin hair is great and I think it may be easier to handle than thick hair resulting in less tangling and breakage. Tho it doesn't have much foof, it DOES hold a luverly shine.
Everybody gets something in this rat race called life! ;)

I'd forgotten about the Princess Anne pics ..I should do a kinky Royal Family post! ;) Lord knows they have enough for a whole thread! All your auntie needs is a Gibson and she's set! :yep:

As for the kinky hair band...:lachen: well, there WAS already one..........

Irresistible

@ Poka, your beautiful hair seems lighter and fluffier than Brooke Kerr's and Teri's. Perhaps that is why it doesn't hang as much. Their hair even looks heavier. That could be due to product usage. I think porosity is a factor as well as strand diameter, density and thickness. My sis' hair is looser than mine and I have more natural shrinkage. But if we use the same styling products, my hair hangs more and takes forever to dry. My hair is thicker than hers too.

Most pics we see (especially celebs and models) are on styled hair with products (i.e. finger styled). This is why I can never understand the issues people have with product usage. Andre's book indicates type 3s need product to define the curl. When they don't, the hair will frizz. (At times, I prefer frizz)

I visit type 3 and 4 threads because I have both. Some of the best advice was from women with a different curl pattern but with other similar characteristics.

@Iris - do you use sulfate shampoos. These really impact how my hair behaves. It tends to frizz and spread vs. clump (if that makes any sense).

Back to pic watching.

uh uh! nah girl I am Cowash only , been so for years , I only shampoo when I press which is rarely now

jupitermoon

You must be new here? :grin: Well 2-3s aren't exactly being celebrated much these days here, so that's why I said it. I was teasing her a bit.

I think it's good to celebrate the textures across the gamut because members here fit across the gamut too.

I think all hair textures are great given the head they're on takes care of it! :giggle: I think we can go to one extreme to celebrate one type because it usually isn't celebrated; however, I don't play that. Beautiful hair is beautiful hair. We have hair like all these shown here w/ the members, so why shouldn't this be celebrated too? Nobody should feel left out, IMHO. :yep:

I agree with you to an extent. In this society type 4 hair is really looked down on, though. On hair boards type 4 hair is praised, but it is usually considered "bad hair" in real life. I can understand the need to reinforce the beauty of type 4 hair on these boards. I mean all hair types should be celebrated, but I can understand someone with type 4 hair that has been told all her life that her hair is "bad" and "ugly" wanting to focus on the beauty of type 4 hair that look like her own, instead of praising other hair types that she will never have and that gets lots of praise in real life anyway.

Someone actually said that? How "rud"! :grin::nono::rolleyes: Why can't someone w/ a different texture know about other textures? Lame. After all, just because you have 1 texture on your hair, doesn't mean to don't care for other textures...kids, hubbys, siblings, parents, friends, etc.

I :lachen:at the idea of the texture on someone's head being solely how you judge someone's hair knowledge! :rolleyes:

I remember that thread. I can also see where some of the posters were coming from. From what I can see those with type 4 hair can have some unique issues that those with type 3 hair don't often experience such as forming dreadlocks when left to air dry, issues with detangling, single strand knots, extreme dryness, etc. For example, a little conditioner used as a leave in may be enough to add moisture and define the curls of someone with type 3 hair, but someone with type 4 hair my require lots of shingling and layering of multiple hair products to get the same results.

Yes, a person with type 3 hair can know about type 4 hair and I agree that it's wrong to dismiss someone's advice due to their hair type, but I think people would rather take advice from those that they can relate to (which in this case is hair type) and have similar issues. I won't lie, I would hesistate to accept advice from a Caucasian person with fine, bone straight type 1 hair. I'd rather take advice from someone's whose hair is simliar to mine.

Jamaraa, I do see where you and the other posters that agree with you are coming from too. :yep:

jamaraa

I agree with you to an extent. In this society type 4 hair is really looked down on, though. On hair boards type 4 hair is praised, but it is usually considered "bad hair" in real life. I can understand the need to reinforce the beauty of type 4 hair on these boards. I mean all hair types should be celebrated, but I can understand someone with type 4 hair that has been told all her life that her hair is "bad" and "ugly" wanting to focus on the beauty of type 4 hair that look like her own, instead of praising other hair types that she will never have and that gets lots of praise in real life anyway.

I remember that thread. I can also see where some of the posters were coming from. From what I can see those with type 4 hair can have some unique issues that those with type 3 hair don't often experience such as forming dreadlocks when left to air dry, issues with detangling, single strand knots, extreme dryness, etc. For example, a little conditioner used as a leave in may be enough to add moisture and define the curls of someone with type 3 hair, but someone with type 4 hair my require lots of shingling and layering of multiple hair products to get the same results.

Yes, a person with type 3 hair can know about type 4 hair and I agree that it's wrong to dismiss someone's advice due to their hair type, but I think people would rather take advice from those that they can relate to (which in this case is hair type) and have similar issues. I won't lie, I would hesistate to accept advice from a Caucasian person with fine, bone straight type 1 hair. I'd rather take advice from someone's whose hair is simliar to mine.

Jamaraa, I do see where you and the other posters that agree with you are coming from too. :yep:

Celina I've NEVER given anything like a hair type for myself at this or any site, so nobody knows if I'm a 4 or a 1. :lachen:My PoV comes from the principle of the matter. LOL...they're free to listen or not to me, but taking advice purely based on someone's hair type judged off of a picture doesn't really make more sense than taking it from someone w/ hair opposite yours. People are judging from pictures, not real life. We should keep this in mind.

Plenty of type 2-3s got put down for having "bad" hair cuz many of them were rasied by people who didn't know how to care for it. Several of the people I posted (ie Roger Daltrey, for starters) had major issues w/ their hair type because it didn't "fit in". Not all type 4s got put down and not all type 3s praised...there seems to be the underlying assumption that this is the case. Everybody's "real life" experiences are individual, but I don't assume all of this negativity is coming from this.

yamilee21

Good thread, for both the pictures and the thought-provoking questions.

... I looked at my hair close and I have the large flat waves you speak of all the way down to the last few inches where it forms a tight corkscrew curl.
I have something like that - some of my strands appear to start out with loose waves that get ever more wavy, curly and tightly coiled until the end. You can see most of the typing system spectrum, from 2a to 4a, along the length of a single strand, :lol:.

We're getting closer Iris. Maybe we'll have to make up our own hair type:grin:.
I'll join you! :yep:

... Is it safe to conclude that coarser/thicker strand hair tends to hang more due to it being heavier? ...
I don't think so... I have mostly coarse strands; most of my hair is hip length stretched now, the longest strands are tail-bone, but most of it still shrinks to APL, same as it did when it was much shorter. Doesn't matter how long it gets, I'm always APL curly. I've lost some hair density with age, post-partum, illnesses, etc., but the shrinkage has never changed.

I am completely with you in your confusion. ...
To be honest, the "typing" system I've used for years has been just that: a celebrity-based one. People know what I'm talking about when I say "I am a Scary Spice with some Julianna Marguilies/Jordin Sparks mixed in."
:lol: I don't follow celebrities at all, so that typing system won't help me much, but I agree that it makes more sense. :)

... Also, my hair changes with and without product, as you said in another thread. But, more importantly to me, it is radically different in texture and curl pattern from its wet/after-shower state to its third day after washing state. ...
Me too, my wet hair looks nothing like my dry hair, my hair without product is completely different than with product. For Halloween, I washed my hair with a clarifying shampoo, and let it dry loose - no conditioner, no leave-in, nothing. It was a yet another totally different look (if I ever get the film developed, I'll post pictures).

... At what point is our hair THE MOST "our hair-like?"
I would say that it would have to be clarified loose hair that is completely dry; that would be as close to it's natural, original state as it could get.

jamaraa

Rock cats 6

Noel Redding of JHE (only Mitch had a perm...this is Noel au naturel. He and Jimi would compete on the biggest 'fro it seems like :lachen:)

Notice how close in texture Jimi and Noel are! :yep:

Last edited:

yamilee21

... From what I can see those with type 4 hair can have some unique issues that those with type 3 hair don't often experience such as forming dreadlocks when left to air dry, issues with detangling, single strand knots, extreme dryness, etc.
That is one of the reasons why I don't take hair typing seriously; my allegedly type 3 hair has always had all those issues.

... Plenty of type 2-3s got put down for having "bad" hair ... Not all type 4s got put down and not all type 3s praised...there seems to be the underlying assumption that this is the case. ...

Thank you! Until I joined this forum, I had NEVER heard of type 3 hair being praised; that was quite a surprise to me.

Irresistible

That is one of the reasons why I don't take hair typing seriously; my allegedly type 3 hair has always had all those issues.

Thank you! Until I joined this forum, I had NEVER heard of type 3 hair being praised; that was quite a surprise to me.
Same for me!

I just want to say thank you to Lucia for making this thread and giving us a platform to speak up about this, and being open enough to let us speak about it on a pic thread :giggle: Lucia your too cool!

Jamaraa for all that you do and stand for, when you get going on a thread you put your foot into it. btw I have decided my new hair type is 'foofy' :lachen:

and NEITHER of these ladies have ever claimed or got involved much with hair type!

I'm starting to really appreciate/respect that more and more now, with all this hair type division going on-ugh

honeisos

Omg this thread blew up. Good! I'm lovin it. I know a few of u ladies are still baffled by andre's typin.... But I say toss it. It's good for newbies but if u have been in the hair game for a while , u do not need Andre telling u what kind of hair u have ....I do consider my hair to be 3c but my sister is a 3c as well and we are on the the ends of the spectrum of 3c's my sister's hair is silkier & stronger ,mine is kinkier a bit more fragile. But we can us the same products and get similar results. Andre's system is helpful but not "gospel".

Irresistible

Good thread, for both the pictures and the thought-provoking questions.

I have something like that - some of my strands appear to start out with loose waves that get ever more wavy, curly and tightly coiled until the end. You can see most of the typing system spectrum, from 2a to 4a, along the length of a single strand, :lol:.

I'll join you! :yep:

I don't think so... I have mostly coarse strands; most of my hair is hip length stretched now, the longest strands are tail-bone, but most of it still shrinks to APL, same as it did when it was much shorter. Doesn't matter how long it gets, I'm always APL curly. I've lost some hair density with age, post-partum, illnesses, etc., but the shrinkage has never changed.

:lol: I don't follow celebrities at all, so that typing system won't help me much, but I agree that it makes more sense. :)

Me too, my wet hair looks nothing like my dry hair, my hair without product is completely different than with product. For Halloween, I washed my hair with a clarifying shampoo, and let it dry loose - no conditioner, no leave-in, nothing. It was a yet another totally different look (if I ever get the film developed, I'll post pictures).

I would say that it would have to be clarified loose hair that is completely dry; that would be as close to it's natural, original state as it could get.

Gurl, now I REALLY know my REAL hair type

Jacked!

:lachen:

I can never ever strip my hair/clarify+let it dry-if I want to keep hair on my head:spinning:

jamaraa

Jamaican chicks, Miss Worlds!

Cindy Breakspeare (w/ son Damian "Jr Gong" Marley and the other guy....if you ask, I'll hit ya thru the computer! :grin:)

Cindy, her daughter, and Lisa Hanna

Lisa Hanna now a Member of Jamaica's Parliment.

Last edited:

jamaraa

Celine Dion and her long haired son Renee-Charles lots of folks clown this kids' hairlike it's 1962, but they're just jellis, I say! :giggle:

BostonMaria

I love this damn white boy LOL don't know why

Interesting thread! I was surprised to still see it alive and kickin

jamaraa

With all these pics of very kinky and very straight hair, I am totally confused about hair typing.

I give up

:lachen:giving up makes perfect sense. In Andre's system 2-3 is a HUGE range just like the posts imply. The 1st 3 of the Andre types have 3 subsections each (a,b,c) only type 4 has two subsections (a and b) so there's tons of hair that's covered...from almost straight to almost kinky.

I've always thought it was odd that type 4 only has 2 subsections...it's as if he's saying it's kinky and kinkier w/o much distinction. :nono::look::perplexed:sad::rolleyes:

jamaraa

Chaosbutterfly yeah that's John Mayer. He's got the most interesting hair in terms of how it effects his overall look. When it's short, he looks so young and cute...when it's long it's like :blush:. I do love his curls tho.

I'd forgotten about the Simmons women...all of them fit. Kimora always has her girls on point. :yep:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
:lachen:giving up makes perfect sense. In Andre's system 2-3 is a HUGE range just like the posts imply. The 1st 3 of the Andre types have 3 subsections each (a,b,c) only type 4 has two subsections (a and b) so there's tons of hair that's covered...from almost straight to almost kinky.

I've always thought it was odd that type 4 only has 2 subsections...it's as if he's saying it's kinky and kinkier w/o much distinction. :nono::look::perplexed:sad::rolleyes:
Well Andre only made two for 3's as well (3a, 3b)....the 3c got made up by hair board members. This possibly made it even more confusing, lol. It's confusing to me either way:spinning:.

So technically he skipped from 3b all the way to 4a which is a huge jump.

Miss*Tress

Most of the white people in this thread do not have nice hair *to me*. Robert Plant and John Mayer are about the only ones I find the least bit "inspirational".