Retaining length for fine hair ladies

MzSwift

carlana25 -

In an empty 16 oz bottle (old Infusium 23 botte), I fill 3/4 with conditioner. Then I add about 2 tsp - 1 tbsp of Henna (and any other ayurveda powder I'm feeling) and a few squirts of oil. If it's too thick, I add water. I use that mix to cowash until it's all gone. I hope that makes sense! :)

Bublin

@carlana25 -

In an empty 16 oz bottle (old Infusium 23 botte), I fill 3/4 with conditioner. Then I add about 2 tsp - 1 tbsp of Henna (and any other ayurveda powder I'm feeling) and a few squirts of oil. If it's too thick, I add water. I use that mix to cowash until it's all gone. I hope that makes sense! :)

Interesting. I bought some Henna but honestly can't be bothered with doing a seperate treatment. I may try this. i take it you're not using the whole 16oz for one wash. You mean you keep using the bottle for each co-wash until it's gone?

yodie

yodie. I don't condition by calendar, I just go by how my hair feels...but I can honestly say that I dont think a week goes by that I dont use protein. Except maybe the week following a cassia treatment. I try to feed my hair as much protein as it will take. I have just learned to manage my protein better. I always follow it with moisture.

I was gonna ask about cassia. I did a cassia gloss and my hair felt pretty goo, but I think it wore off quickly. I did a full cassia treatment the following month and my hair felt really dry. I thought cassia was a substitute for protein? Are you ladies using both?

Last night I used AO GPB and followed with Joico Moisture Recovery. Hair still felt a little dry when I woke up today. I used Keracare's moisturizing treatment and it feel much better. My hair feels very strong and moisturized.

LaidBak

I was gonna ask about cassia. I did a cassia gloss and my hair felt pretty goo, but I think it wore off quickly. I did a full cassia treatment the following month and my hair felt really dry. I thought cassia was a substitute for protein? Are you ladies using both?

Last night I used AO GPB and followed with Joico Moisture Recovery. Hair still felt a little dry when I woke up today. I used Keracare's moisturizing treatment and it feel much better. My hair feels very strong and moisturized.

For me yes, cassia is a substitute for protein. I learned the hard way that I have to follow up those treatments with an intense moisture DC. The last time I did it I got it right. My hair was stiff and tangly right after I rinsed the cassia (just like when I use too much protein); then after my moisture DC it was soft, strong, and not breaking at all.

I use both, but not in the same week. I did cassia a month ago, then two weeks ago I used a little Joico K Pak. If cassia weren't so messy, and such a messy process I might do it more often. But right now I am going for once a month.

Last edited:

mango387

My strands are fine, but I have lots of hair. The average person assumes that my hair is thick, because I have a lot of 4b hair. Anyway, I'm learning that my hair likes protein.

Bublin

Is anyone using Mane n Tail for their protein conditioner?

It really leaves my hair soft/moisturised and i want to use it more often than i do at the moment.

chelleypie810

my hair HATES protein. I have to use a moisturizing/protein condish. I have been using kerapro as of late and its really really rrreeeaalllyyy good. I try to use it once a week but sometimes will just switch it up to a really moisturizing condish. I can't use direct heat too often,so I normally rollerset and I mostly keep my hands outta my hair either by wearing it up or not combing it too often throughout the day and thats how I try to retain length. My hair has become MUCH MUCH thicker since I stopped using sulfates and started using products like hair one and wen for my cleansing.

gn1g

Is anyone using Mane n Tail for their protein conditioner?

It really leaves my hair soft/moisturised and i want to use it more often than i do at the moment.

I use to because it really coats the hair but it is harsh on the scalp. It dried my scalp out. Does it consist of cones?

gn1g

BUMP!!! I'm interested in more responses. What do you guys think of using a protein leave in like Chi Keratin Mist, Aphogee green tea, etc. once or a few times a week?

I use it as a leave in SOMETIMES. FIne hair has 50% less protein than other hair.

ajoke

I have finally concluded that castor oil is too thick for my hair, and the Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive oil cream. I have been using a jar of Blended beauty curl styling butter that I've had at home for a few months, and wow, moisture without breakage! And I can style my hair without a comb. This is also the first time in a while that I am going without washing my hair for two weeks. I am frankly scared to wash my hair because it feels soooo good!

Last edited:

Bublin

ajoke have you tried mixing the Castor Oil with a lighter oil to reduce it's thickness ie Jojoba or a ceramide all like Hempseed. You get the same heavy sealing effect but just not as thick plus the goodness of the other oil.

ajoke

Bublin, I did in the past. I just got carried away with recommendations on here to use it to seal my ends which led to a lot of breakage for me. I'll probably mix up the rest I have with jojoba or almond oil to finish it up. I doubt if I will be repurchasing though.

If anyone has a recipe for using up my QBAOOHC, I'm all ears.

Shadiyah

Low mani: braids 24/7.

Length? Not sure but the back is this long.

I don't see anything.... what happen?

well I use little to no manipulation. I finger comb my hair only when it is wet. use a lot of moisturizing products since I am protein sensitive. I do wear my curls out but not sure what I will do through out the winter yet.

greight

I'm due for another trimming session this weekend. :yep:

- I've been oiling my hair with WGO. Then detangled.
- Spraying Duo Tex right after. Rinse after 10 minutes
- Rinsing Duo Tex, applying moisturizing conditioner.
- Final rinse. Apply KCKT, seal w/ olive oil.

Duo Tex has helped kept my hair strength on point since I did 2 step. I'm a bit afraid of protein overload, but I haven't had any issues with breakage (then again, I did cut off a lot of hair). My hair feels dry, but not as dry as usual (when I straight up ignored protein). I'm gonna go the moisture moisture moisture route this weekend. Most likely overnight DC with a generous addition of Roux Porosity Control (prepooing with Wheat Germ Oil)

I've been stretching my hair via braid outs. Twists just jack up my ends. I like this better. Doesn't take forever either.

greight

On second thought, I'm too scurred to ignore the Duo Tex this weekend!

*** it, I've had little to no breakage... I gotta keep this trend going! Will DC overnight tho afterwards :yep:

yardgirl

Regular protein/strengthening treatments, enough moisture and low manipulation.

All 3 are necessary but I'd say that low manipulation is the single most important fact. I have a hard time keeping my hands out of my hair but I'm getting better at it and will definitely try to keep it up.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I definitely agree that I MUST use protein regularly. It has definitely made all the difference in the world for my hair.

temfash

Regular protein/strengthening treatments, enough moisture and low manipulation.

All 3 are necessary but I'd say that low manipulation is the single most important fact. I have a hard time keeping my hands out of my hair but I'm getting better at it and will definitely try to keep it up.

I agree with the highlighted ever since I incorporated all 3 my hair has improved greatly.

:yep:

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
To the fine hair 4a/b LOW POROSITY women, how do you get your hair to absorb products> Products usually stay on my hair unless I put it on overnight

ajoke

I think I might finally have found how to keep my hair soft and minimize breakage. Regular moisturizing and finger combing exclusively for me. There is a patch on the right side of my head which for some reason is more tangle prone than the rest of my hair funnily. I feel like my twists are looking fatter too. Now if only I could make my hair look as good as it feels....I am seriously style challenged. I bet there is a thread for hairstyle ideas for fine hair ladies. Off to search, if there isn't any, I might have to start one....

morehairplease

To the fine hair 4a/b LOW POROSITY women, how do you get your hair to absorb products> Products usually stay on my hair unless I put it on overnight

Hey there TopShelf,

You and I are fellow hair twins. Lately, I have been steaming using the 'home grown' method that SamathnaJones shared on the forum and it has helped a lot. Also, using slightly alkaline products has helped. For the longest, I was using low pH products and noticed that no matter what I did my hair stayed dry and never felt moisturized. Also, doing my final rinse with warm water instead of cool is helping. While on youtube earlier this week, I came across this vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSSvoEBz5uE

I don't know if you are relaxed or natural but try the tips she gave even if you are natural and see if they help.

If I think of anything else, I will post it.

hths,
tishee

greight

I used EVOO overnight and then put wheat germ oil (2 hrs) and sprayed Duo Tex after (another 2+). I rinsed it out and was planning on doing a deep conditioning treatment, but my hair doesn't seem to need it.

I've been using Duo Tex once a week for the last four weeks and I haven't had any issues with breakage. On the contrary, this is the least amount of breaking/shedding that I've experienced since I've become natural :yep:. I've been natural for about 7 years now. My hair is strong, too. It's softer than usual and feels silkier.

I'm going to let it fully dry and apply my leave ins. I'll monitor what my hair does tomorrow to see if I have issues since I know protein without moisture might be a disaster. But quite frankly... It'd be nice to just get my hair down to those products if this continues.

Nonie

TopShelf, baggy. Every night. You won't have to reapply products in the morning. Your hair will have internal moisture. I wouldn't apply something that makes hair wet. IF you do, do it earlier in the evening so hair is somewhat dry-ish by bed time. Plait it then put on a plastic cap or wrap Saran in lieu of a scarf for the night. Your hair'll be nicely moisturized in the morning.

Imani

Interesting. I assumed most fine haired people (esp type 4s) would have spongey overly porous hair (like me). I always thought it was coarse haired folks w/low porosity issues.

I'm still on this trek to APL (hopefully by the end of this year or early next year). And fighting with my ends. For right now I'm adding more protein and trimming more often. for the past year all I've been doing is steaming my hair to death with mainly moisturizing conditioners. I think my hair was overmoisturized and weak, so I decided to add more protein and I think I don't necessarily have to steam everytime I wash my hair. And also trying to do the cold rinses.

I'm very bored with hair, been wearing wigs for a year nonstop and sometimes just want to wear my real hair out. So experimenting w/ twists and twist outs. Hopefully that won't mess up my progress. There will still be times I just slap on a wig tho I'm sure.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
Nonie I've done the baggy at night but my hair is pretty short so I would be braiding for atleast 20-30 mins at night and I would have to use something to keep it from unbraiding. and I would have to wear an Afro daily, which I hate because it tangles easily. I'm gonna try and apply the product over my cornrows and see what happens.

Sent from my ADR6300 using ADR6300

greight

Aight, so I did a moisture DC last weekend and my hair had more breakage than usual :ohwell:. No worries, BACK TO PROTEIN this weekend!

I might be an anomaly, but whatever. This protein thing works for me. My hair does get dry, but the dryness is not as bad when I use Duo Tex. I just use a moisturizing leave-in and call it a day. Best of all.... LITTLE TO NO BREAKAGE

I'm also considering becoming a heat straightened natural. My hair won't be out, though. Just straightened to keep the SSK permanently down. It'll probably will be blow dried tomorrow morning and I'll attempt an updo.